Do you leave your kids in the car? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you leave your kids in the car while you go into an establishment?
No, never! 75 34.40%
Sometimes, depends on the circumstances. 93 42.66%
Only when the child/ren are at a responsible age. 43 19.72%
All the time! 7 3.21%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 129 Old 04-28-2012, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I occasionally let (when he just wants to sit in the car and read) my 8 year old stay in the car while I run into the coffeshop.  But I always take the keys with me & leave the car locked.  I never leave my 3 year in the car, even if he's with his brother.  He's just too impulsive and easily gets himself out of his seat. 

Loving mama to magical boys Skyler (11/21/03) and Gryffin Emrys (9/30/08). 

#122 of 129 Old 04-30-2012, 11:13 AM

I can't believe people do this ... wow!` 

#123 of 129 Old 04-30-2012, 11:47 AM

Mine are 10 and 8, so I do let them stay in the car now if they want to. That's only if I'll be in a store/library where I can see the car. I wouldn't do it at the supermarket yet. I also take the keys and lock the doors. Even if the windows are down, if a person reaches in to unlock a door, the alarm goes off. My kids are very sensible (and safety conscious almost to a fault) and would never climb into the front seat to mess with anything. Obviously I would never let them stay in the car when it is even remotely hot or dangerously cold. Lots of things are factors in this: area in which you live, children's personality/responsibility, etc.

#124 of 129 Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah12 View Post

I can't believe people do this ... wow!` 

Really? why? you'd think for your first post on a website, you'd try to give a little more opinion than that. "wow"?! i think people here in this very long thread have given very reasonable reasons why they would "do this"...maybe you could give your reasons why you think they are wrong? (hopefully its something other than someone is lurking to kidnap your children in the two minutes it will take you to pay for your gas.... eyesroll.gif )

whats ironic is i dont see too many moms here who do choose to leave their kids in the car at times posting "omg, i can't believe you tote all three of your toddlers into the gas station to pay! whats wrong with you?? Dont you care about all of the remotely possible things that could go wrong in that walk across the parking lot?? i just love my kids more than that! why oh WHY would someone even think that was ok?!?!" but those of us who feel that its a safe, reasonable option in certain situations get that all the time when these threads pop up. rolleyes.gif lol.gif

sk8boarder15 likes this.

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#125 of 129 Old 05-05-2012, 08:47 PM

My kids are 5, 2 and 5 months. I leave them in the car to go to the ATM... Which is five feet from the car. I leave them to drop books off at the library box drop... Which is about eight feet from the car. I leave them in the car in my driveway for a minute too. That's it. smile.gif I am sure the time will come when they are older they can be left longer but I think there are laws to when in Texas.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#126 of 129 Old 05-10-2012, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My kids are 16 years and 15 months.  My boyfriend's kids are 11, 8 and 4 years.  Between the two of us, there is rarely a need for any child to be alone in a car, however, occasionally, it happens.  If my 16 year old is there, he can watch the younger ones for a few minutes.  If the 11 year old is there, she can watch the 8 and 4 year olds for a few minutes, occasionally.  (She has a cell phone and would call into the store or whatever, if need be, she is very precocious, and she will be 12 next month.)  My boyfriend leaves his three kids alone in the car for longer periods of time (half hour, sometimes longer), but I am uncomfortable with that and would not do as such with the oldest child only 11.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#127 of 129 Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I haven't read the whole thread.

I voted all the time. Mine are 7 and 5 though and they know the rules. Most of the time given the chose they want to stay in the car.

Usually they are in the car by themselves if I have to go in and pay for gas, drop off or pick up library books, pay a bill. You know stuff where I will be gone for 5 min or less.

The car is locked and they stay in their buckles. I don't see anything wrong with this. I'm having a new baby in July and don't know how I will work it, I'll have to feel it out.

If it helps we live in a small town, I also have confidence in my children. They have always followed the rules of staying in the car by themselves, if they didn't they wouldn't be able to. And am not living in fear of someone lurking around the cornor ready to snatch my kids or try and take my car with the kids in it, those situations are highly unlikely.

What is more likely is a busy body calling the cops. But I can't live my life in fear of that either so I do what I feel comfortable doing.

#128 of 129 Old 05-12-2012, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My kids are 14 (almost 15), 11 (almost 12), 8 (almost 9), 5 and 1. If the oldest three are in the car too, then sure I leave them for a few minutes. If it's just the youngest two then I bring them in.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#129 of 129 Old 11-18-2012, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I didn't realize how old this thread was ... 

mama to three little ladies

Tags
Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page