Do you allow running in your home? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 02-09-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you allow running in your home?  I feel like I'm always reminding DD1 (4) not to run... but she always does it, always forgets, so my efforts in talking to he about it aren't working.

I'm wondering if I should just give up on it- maybe it's not that serious.

However.. we live on the second floor of a 2-flat, my landlady lives downstairs, just her and her cats.  I know that when I'm coming up the stairs in the hall I can hear (and feel!) my kids' running.  Our floors are pretty poorly insulated.. we do have carpet, but I can totally hear my kids stomping clearly when I walk past her door.

I have already reminded DD twice about it while typing this.  It's driving me nuts... my landlady tells us about "oh I can hardly hear you guys, you're so quiet!", but she once told me she hears our cats chasing each other.. and my 48lb 4yo is surely much nosier than my 20lb cat (yeah, he's a chunker lol.gif we're working on him).

What do you think?

What rules do you enforce in your home?

Now DD is walking past me, *walking*, but jamming her heel into the carpet loudly with each step she takes. disappointed.gif I probably can't win this one!

ETA: and how about my 2yo?  She just ran past me, and I asked her not to, and she continued running telling me "Noooo"

Off to talk to these kids about it..

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#2 of 25 Old 02-09-2012, 01:54 PM

I do, but we don't share a home.  When we had to be in an apartment for 6 months (while our house was being built), I did not allow it out of respect for the other tenants.  It was hard...I felt like I was always nagging them to be more quiet.  We spent lots of time outdoors and in parks so that they could run and scream.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#3 of 25 Old 02-09-2012, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  They do get plenty of outside time, even when it's cold out.  I wish that were the solution :(  I feel bad for my landlady.

#4 of 25 Old 02-09-2012, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I use guilt on this one.  We have an old dog and he gets easily confused and overwhelmed with quick movements.  So I tell them how horrible it is for him and you can see them start to run but catch a glimpse of the old dog and slow down.  This has been working for 2 yrs.  I almost need him to stay alive just a tad longer for the sake of no running.  Though I think he's one his way to dog heaven soon. 

#5 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 12:31 AM

Absolutely!  Two boys (7 and 5) in 750 square feet with no backyard.  We allow running, jumping ON the bed, jumping OFF the couch, dancing, and all other forms of movement (one exception: meals are sit-down affairs, calm and quiet or leave the table till your wiggles are out).  We live in a 2nd story apartment, and I'm sure it's heard below.  Whenever we have new neighbors downstairs (about once every 2 years or so, so we're not driving them away :) ) we always introduce ourselves and ask them to please let us know if the noise ever bothers them.  No one ever has, even though I've gone downstairs to ask them to please cover their heating vents if they're going to smoke pot.  So you'd think they'd also feel the ability to be pro-active in talking to us about things that bother them.

#6 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 06:42 AM

Yes we allow running. And jumping on the furniture and all sorts of fun things. smile.gif

But we don't share a building... maybe with a shared building I might feel differently. It sounds like your landlady doesn't mind though?? Maybe she figures there's bound to be some running around with little kids living up there, and as long as it's not at 2am, she just doesn't even notice it? I know I only notice my neighbor's dog barking when I'm trying to sleep -- even though he barks the rest of the day too, I usually don't notice or care. I might ask her to let you know if the kids' running around is bothering her, and just leave it at that.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#7 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We don't allow it, and DD is pretty good about it due to a couple of falls.  I didn't want to have a set of home rules and a set of "other people's house" rules, so we don't run indoors, climb on furniture, or anything.  I guess I'm a meanie.

DD 2/08
#8 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 08:02 AM

Yes, I definitely allow running in the house, but wouldn't if we lived above someone.  I know that's not easy to enforce though!  My kids both have a cough right now and I am trying to limit their running so they don't aggravate the coughing, but kids just like to run!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#9 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Nope. We live in a tiny (about 850 square foot) townhouse. There's absolutely no place to run and even if there was, I wouldn't allow it. Running is for outside. A good friend has a gigantic house (seriously) and the kids can run there. But, it's soooo big, you barely notice it.

#10 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 08:11 AM

Running only bothers me if there is a reason for it to bother me, e.g. disturbing others such as your landlady.  I don't plan to have a rule against it, but I would implement one if necessary.

I think it's really important that kids don't get in the habit of ignoring house rules.  Since you've made the rule, I would enforce it strictly until you decide to change it.  Even if running is not a big deal (and that's up to you), the habit of not enforcing tends not to stay isolated to just one rule.  I would use whatever consequence you normally use for misbehavior (e.g., time out), and then, if you decide to allow running, make the announcement later. 

#11 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 09:20 AM

We don't, for a few reasons:

1) We live in an apartment and have downstairs neighbors

2) We have very slick, hardwood floors and dd has slipped a few times

3) The apartment is small, so there's a real risk of crashing into things

A significant amount of ballet dancing still happens though. :) 

#12 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 10:40 AM

When dd was small I don't think I had a particular rule about running indoors. We didn't really have to be quiet because of downstairs neighbors though.

In our house now I don't want dd running by the top of the stairs/window or in the kitchen because of safety. She's almost 12 though so she just doesn't go running around the house like a tiny kid anyway.

I think it is good to continue to remind your kids to be considerate of the people living around them even if they do not complain. It is hard to stay silent but they can try to be more aware. Maybe redirecting them to a new place or activity would be good.

purslaine likes this.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#13 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 12:25 PM

I do allow it.  There is no way that I could enforce a no-running rule.  He's also allowed to jump on his bed (floor mattress), and climb on the couch.  I draw the line at standing on the tables, although he is allowed to sit on them. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#14 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 PM

We don't do running in the house or standing/jumping on furniture. If DD wants to dance, practice gymnastics, or jump then she must do so on the carpet in the middle of the living room where she can't hurt herself, other people, or objects in the home.

SAHMhippie.gif married to DH treehugger.gif since 09/11. Mama to DD (01/08)dust.gifand DS (06/12) babyboy.gif

#15 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 12:57 PM

Sure, why not? We have a larger house, nice long, wide hallways to run in and minimal furniture. The kids make a circle through the house, chasing each other or riding their cars. If I had a shared space like a townhouse, apartment then it would be different. We lived in a town house for a couple months once with the 2 girls when we had to travel for medical care, it was torture. I felt like I had to keep them quiet, I am so happy that I don't have to police them at our own house. Furniture jumping doesn't bother me either. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#16 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 02:35 PM

I have no problem with running in the house.

#17 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post

I do, but we don't share a home.  When we had to be in an apartment for 6 months (while our house was being built), I did not allow it out of respect for the other tenants.  It was hard...I felt like I was always nagging them to be more quiet.  We spent lots of time outdoors and in parks so that they could run and scream.

This is how I feel too.  We don't share a home with others, but my husband does work from home.  During the weekends I have no problem with it, but during the week out of consideration to her father, she needs to make an effort to keep the noise level down.

I think an appropriate way to handle it would be that every time you hear her running, she has to go back to where she started and walk to where she wanted to go.  I might even make it that she had to repeat the process two or three times in each instance.  The idea being that once running becomes less convenient than walking, she'll slow down in the first place.

I disagree with the PP who thought it was no biggie since the downstairs neighbor doesn't seem to mind.  I tend to think that she's being polite in brushing away your concerns, but even if she's in earnest, it still teaches your children to be considerate of others.

#18 of 25 Old 02-11-2012, 09:42 AM

We allow running and jumping but we have a 2,400 sq. foot house that DSS has a lot of room to roam in. The only time we tell him to be careful is if there is a baby cousin here who is stationary or if there is a friend over and they might accidentally end up hurting one another. Even without running, DSS got a basketball to the face the other day. When it is time to eat, we do take our meals at the table and turn the tv off. I'm very lenient in winter because of the simple fact that we can't go outside. I actually do a lot of running in the house with DSS. Playing chase is always fun. winky.gif

Artist wife to dh_malesling.GIF. Mom to DSS superhero.gif (3 yrs) and DD (04/12).  brokenheart.gif (2/28/10). winner.jpgcd.gif

#19 of 25 Old 02-11-2012, 10:40 AM

I have no problem with "controlled" running, jumping, furniture climbing, and other active behaviors.  If things are getting out of control, then I make things settle down, but as long as I feel that everyone is safe then a lot activity is allowed. 

Natalie ~ DH 8/04 ~ DD 8/09 ~ Identical Twin Boys Arrived at 34w5d on March 2, 2011

#20 of 25 Old 02-11-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

I mean.. I'm cool with noisemaking.  The kids are "sledding" in the living room with some old boxes and a couch cushion mountain.. making big thuds when they get to the bottom.  But running everywhere instead of walking is just dizzy.gif sometimes, yk?  

#21 of 25 Old 02-11-2012, 09:15 PM

It depends on whats going on.. If anyone is sleeping or Im working on something in one of the rooms then no. If we have repair men over for any reasons then no. Otherwise if its not disturbing anyone I don't mind. I do not allow jumping on the furniture. I use to but we almost ended up with stitches from my oldest being a daredevil so no..

If it gets to annoying I take them outside to run.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#22 of 25 Old 02-12-2012, 05:37 AM

I allow running & we've even had trikes, scooters, etc. in the house. But, we have the space & flooring for it. My kids seem to have no problem understanding that there's no running at other peoples houses, school, etc. Different places, different rules.
OP, you could ask your landlady if she's ever bothered by noise. Depending upon the construction of the house, she may or may not hear it.

ETA: while I do allow running, etc. I don't allow jumping on furniture, nor screaming. Like another poster, I want my furniture to last & don't want to replace it anytime soon! And, I just can't take screaming indoors. Makes me crazy.
#23 of 25 Old 02-12-2012, 03:33 PM

I do not allow it (or jumping on furniture or screaming or wrestling--I know, I'm soooo horrible and crushing to their spirits) upstairs.  Downstairs in the playroom, they can do all three or whatever they want as long as they follow our general rules of no hitting without consent, ect.)  Tge playroom is basically wide open space and old crappy furniture no one cares about.  Most of their legos are in their rooms or in the work area upstairs (and they've learned real quick to keep them off the playroom floor when they've stepped on them!).

I don't think it's bad or wrong to set rules that in shared space there are some fun things that we don't do out of respect for the type of space it is and other/different people's sanity.  (the kitchen and office are upstairs, as well as my bedroom--I like quiet, and DH needs to not be disturbed while he's working.  If anyone adult or child wants to run around and scream--and everyone in our family wants to sometimes--we go downstairs where it's muffled and the door can be closed and is a safe spot to do it)

If I lived in an apartment or smaller house, I'd probably make the same "quiet space" rule for any space but their bedrooms, and not feel the least bit guilty about it.  Most of life is that way!

However, it's probably unrealistic to think that you're not going to constantly remind a toddler/preschooler of the rules, and with some kids' personalities they're just louder and it will take time for them to learn to moderate.  I have two very LOUD BOISTEROUS children (and one quiet one) and it's just now that they are almost 9 and 10 that I just have to do a hand signal like turning down the volume for them to instantly settle to 'inside voice'.  You just have to be willing to reinforce boundaries and rules, you're going to have to for awhile.  For us, it was worth the annoyance;  if I was a different person who didn't need some non-rambunctious space I don't know that I would have bothered.

#24 of 25 Old 02-12-2012, 04:50 PM

We live in a co-op apartment building and when we moved in, we accepted the house rules.  Respect for others is normally our MO.

Maybe I'm a weird one out here, but I don't allow jumping on beds and furniture.  Much of this stems from an economical/preservation standpoint.  DH and I invest in furniture (although its not high-end stuff) and we expect to keep it for a long time because we don't like the idea of treating stuff like disposable stuff.  If I buy  a couch, I expect that it will last for some time if properly cared for.  If my bed breaks, then I have to buy a new frame or have someone fix it...it just means the more use of resources in materials or money and that's not a sound idea to me.  That being said, I'm much less strict than my own parents, who used their rooms as show rooms.  Our space is lived in, but we do expect a level of respect for one's surrounding, even when it comes to kids.  

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#25 of 25 Old 02-13-2012, 11:00 AM

I'm big on respect, too, both of people and things.  In fact, when my kids ask if they can do something, I nearly always reply, "Will it hurt anyone or anything?" 

We spend a lot of time in hotels, and occasionally, my kids run the halls.  We try to pick times where there are fewer people (like between check-out and check-in), and never late at night or early morning.  Maybe you could try to get a feel for your landlady's schedule.  When she's gone at work, then turn the kids loose, but when she gets home at 4 (or whatever) maybe it's "color at the table time" or something else calmer.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Tags
Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page