Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-15-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I found out that this is gonna be on next monday

http://mediaroom.scholastic.com/node/534

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq-YYfstE1I

My daughter likes the show and I like it since it doesn't treat kids like idiots, but then I always wonder if these cheesy "lessons" have any impact or make any difference at all?

Jane Lynch is doing a voice for it and I know she is always talking about this sort of stuff

#2 of 3 Old 02-15-2012, 10:43 AM

If my child always watched it, I'd let her watch that one.   You probably can't have enough of those cheesy lessons in a kid's lifetime.  It's better to know a little bit when they are young.

When I was a kid (many years ago) there was a Sesame street segment about a little girl who wanted to try something fun....but, she thought ahead.  "If my brother is standing on this rug, and I pull the rug out from under him"...... then she thought of what MIGHT happen if she pulled the rug out, or pulled her cat's tail, or threw this rock in the air...etc, and she changed her mind because she decided the outcome wasn't really what she wanted.  

Even as a teen, i'd want to do something, then I'd think of that sesame street segment, and I'd think ahead, and I'd make the decision to do it or not do it based on how willing I was to deal with the consequence.  Sometimes it was worth it, sometimes not.  But, that cheesy little lesson did stick with me.

Also, anybody who grew up in the 70s remembers the Jiminy Cricket cartoons "I'm no fool..no siree"

#3 of 3 Old 02-15-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

For some reason the biggest "lesson" that stuck with me was from the Fresh Prince, haha. When Will's dad leaves. I wasn't quite a little kid when I watched it but it still makes me tear up whenever I see it.

Tags
Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page