Silly question - is it normal to be able to do this? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-18-2012, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

This is such a strange question.

DD just turned 5.  Cold season is here, which means we once again get to see her licking her runny nose.  Not below her nose, but the whole way around the nostrils.  Kind of like a dog.  It's pretty disgusting.  I've never seen DS, 3-1/2, do this.  Little kids are proportioned so differently, and I don't know if this ability is just something she'll grow out of or something she'll have to learn to stop doing.  We have tissue boxes all over the house and she knows how to use them, but it's obviously so much easier for her to lick her nose clean.  I hate to make a big deal of it because then she'll do it to get attention or irk us.  Now, luckily, it's just to get her nose clean.  Do any of your kids do this?

#2 of 6 Old 02-19-2012, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have seen this, not with my kids but with my nephew and my sister was grossed out also! It is kind of strange to see him be able to reach his nostrils with his tongue (which is very pointy)! Maybe she does it when she has a runny nose because it's the simplest way to her. She feels it and just licks it because she can.
ETA Oh, I see you wrote that already!
Anyway, he is a teenager now and can still do it but he never really does, only when we joke about it in the family, I don't think he ever does around his friends.
If she's in school, maybe telling her that it's not a good idea in public but that she can do it at home would help. Then hopefully she would develop the habit of just using a tissue, she could keep on in her pocket to remind her. Or even a soft cloth because it wouldn't be as scratchy compared to her tongue.
I think my nephew just stopped doing it, we never made a big deal about it when he was little, we just ignored it and I think that your doing that is a good approach.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#3 of 6 Old 02-20-2012, 10:41 AM

That would probably look kind of gross.

I think it's just one of those variations in proportion. I couldn't reach my nose with my tongue like that if my life depended on it. DH could, though - he has a really long tongue. Your nephew may just have a longer than average tongue. I've certainly met a few kids who would totally do that if their tongues were long enough (includeing ds2, so I'm glad his tongue is short).

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#4 of 6 Old 02-20-2012, 12:02 PM

Yeah, some people just have much longer tongues than the rest of us and probably a smaller attachment to the mouth (forget what it is called, but what sometimes docs/LC will check for in babies having trouble BFing). I had a buddy in college whose tongue could reach the tip of his nose and further, it was quiet a sight smile.gif

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#5 of 6 Old 02-20-2012, 06:39 PM

i can stick my tongue UP MY NOSE, and a few people on my dad's side of the family can also. i have never met anyone else who can do this :)

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#6 of 6 Old 02-23-2012, 01:26 AM

OMG thats gross LOL I had no idea people could do this... way to afraid to google it

Tags
Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page