Is there such a thing as a stainless steel sippy cup that doesn't leak ?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-24-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just bought a couple of different brands of sippy cups and so far they all leak ! We bought Foogo and a Oggi (made like Klean Kanteen only cheaper) . Can anyone recommend a better one? I thought that the Foogo would be great because it's insulated. We buy raw milk and at $7 a gallon we can't afford to waste any :) I was looking into the Klean Kateen one but I don't really want to spend the money if it has leak problems as well. Thanks

Jess  SAHM to Daniel  (09/07) and Samuel  (06/10)and Katie Lee (11/11) we're with #4 edd 4/15 Wifey to my "geek" : David  for 14 yrs. ( 4/09 @ 19 weeks).
#2 of 16 Old 02-24-2012, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We use the kleen kanteen & haven't really had leak issues (occasionally a drop or two). Ds sleeps with one in bed every night so leaks would be bad. We have a strict water only rule with them though - I don't fancy finding a forgotten bottle of milk. Milk has always been drunk out of a cup here.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 16 Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info. The Foogo one is awful. It seriously drips a stream of milk from it. Here's another question ... what do you use on the Klean Kanteen to keep you Lo's hands from freezing

Jess  SAHM to Daniel  (09/07) and Samuel  (06/10)and Katie Lee (11/11) we're with #4 edd 4/15 Wifey to my "geek" : David  for 14 yrs. ( 4/09 @ 19 weeks).
#4 of 16 Old 02-24-2012, 03:56 PM

We use Klean Kanteen and DS has never ever complained about it being cold on his hands. Of course he only has water in it from the faucet and not refrigerator cold milk. I've had cold drinks in them and never have been bothered either.... Ours doesn't leak unless DS drops/throws it and the lid gets ajar (maybe 5% of the time). We use the sippy lids.

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#5 of 16 Old 02-24-2012, 06:58 PM

You can get an insulated sleeve for it but I've never tried it myself.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#6 of 16 Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 PM

Munchkin brand is the only one we've tried that doesn't suck.  It has a plastic outer sleeve-ish thing and a stainless steel inner cup.  Ugly plastic lid, but it works.  We got it at TJ Maxx.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#7 of 16 Old 02-26-2012, 04:01 PM
ljc

Another vote for klean kanteen.  We've tried lots and klean kanteen is the only thing I will spend money on. They cost a lot but they are worth it.  Can later change out the sippy tops and use as sports water bottle.  We've had ours for 4 or 5 years.  My kids are 6, 6 and 8 years old - they use them now with sports tops.  No complaints about cold hands.

#8 of 16 Old 02-27-2012, 02:59 PM

We love our kleen kanteen. Each memeber of the family has one for water. The sippy top works fine, and between 1 and 2 most kids can switch to the sport top. 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#9 of 16 Old 02-27-2012, 04:49 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Nope. Most leak somewhat and if they aren't busy leaking they are busy getting funky. I would reserve them for water like we do and only out of the house. (I prefer SIGG because it is one of the few brands not MIC and some studies show high level of contamination in the Chinese-made steel versions.) Otherwise, we use glass cups at the table.

Klean Kanteen is made in China and I just won't do it.

#10 of 16 Old 02-27-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

Nope. Most leak somewhat and if they aren't busy leaking they are busy getting funky. I would reserve them for water like we do and only out of the house. (I prefer SIGG because it is one of the few brands not MIC and some studies show high level of contamination in the Chinese-made steel versions.) Otherwise, we use glass cups at the table.

Klean Kanteen is made in China and I just won't do it.

I agree with the bolded.  This is a case of finding what works best (not perfect) for you, IMO.

As for SIGG, I was turned off by how they handled the BPA liner issue. 

#11 of 16 Old 02-28-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post

As for SIGG, I was turned off by how they handled the BPA liner issue. 

Me too. I prefer stainless steel so there's no need for a plastic liner. I have yet to find a stainless bottle that's not made in China, but I'll take stainless steel from China any day over plastic of a dubious nature from Europe.  

I got a Kleen Kanteen with the sippy lid for my daughter when she was little. We only used it for water, but it worked really well and didn't leak. She eventually moved on to an insulated stainless steel straw cup (which despite being "leak-proof" leaks if left on it's side with the cap open), but the Kleen Kanteen still has life as a regular water bottle for me with the addition of a regular lid.  I think it was well worth the money considering that.

#12 of 16 Old 02-28-2012, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I would try the Klean Kanteen with sippy top. We didn't use it (b/c I didn't know it existed when I needed it) so we just used the plastic Munchkin straw cups. They were the only things that didn't leak a ton (sometimes they don't leak at all, other times if you don't get it put together perfectly you can get a leak) and they're BPA-free. Next time around I'll be getting a thermal sleeve and sippy tops for the Klean Kanteens.

#13 of 16 Old 02-28-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. We decided to just go back to their other (plastic) silly cups. I figure all that raw milk is useless if no one wants to drink out of the leaky cups. I guess I'll just save the stainless steel ones for water

#14 of 16 Old 02-28-2012, 02:22 PM

We have a Foogo and it doesn't leak like that. I wonder if you are missing part of the valve. 

#15 of 16 Old 02-28-2012, 08:34 PM

I would rather have stainless from china as well, but we do also use born free sippies (BPA Free) becuase we used thier glass bottles and the set came with a sippy. They do leak though, much more that our kleen kanteen. 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#16 of 16 Old 02-28-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8boarder15 View Post

I would rather have stainless from china as well, but we do also use born free sippies (BPA Free) becuase we used thier glass bottles and the set came with a sippy. They do leak though, much more that our kleen kanteen. 

I used Born Free sippys for my youngest. He loved them! I'm not totally anti-plastic, just anti-unknown plastic used by a company with a history of not disclosing completely accurate information about the plastic they use.  winky.gif

Tags
Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page