3 kids, tell me what challenges i can expect? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-07-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Going from o to 1 was hard for the first 4mths, going from 1 to 2 was harder for the the first year, what can i expect with 3 children?

I have a 5 week old baby, one almost 4 yo and one 6 1/2 year old.  Can anyone tell me/warn me, about challenges i might have in the future, compared to having 2 kids? I am hoping that the almost 4 year age gap might make things easier, but am also wondering how i am going to juggle the  different schedules  as kids  get older. 

Would appreciate any advice, reflections, stories from others out there.....

#2 of 4 Old 03-07-2012, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My experience:

-having trouble fitting in booths at restaurants

-less "deals" for travelling - most packages assume 2 kids and 2 adults.

-hotel rooms often only allow 4 people, not five.

-3 kids in a car is a PITA.  There is a reason for mini-vans.

-2 kids might like each other better or get along better - leaving one out.  This is less an issue with 2 kids - where they get along or they don't - but none feel odd ball out.

The age span of your kids is similar to mine (although mine are older!).  For a number of years it was tricky to meet the wants (not needs) of my youngest and oldest.  Ex:  13 year old wants to go see a PG 13 movie, 6.5 yr old wants to see a cartoon movie.  We have divided and conquered for some activities for years - I see one movie with one set of kids, Dh with another.

congrats on the baby!  On the good front - having older kids when I had my youngest made life so much easier for me.  Ds could entertain the baby while I showered, etc.    My oldest and now my middle can babysit their sister - something that did not happen with my older two (I know that is years away for you - but still, knowing that in about 5.5 yrs you might have a regular built-in babysitter (I do pay my older kids for babysitting) is very cool!)

#3 of 4 Old 03-08-2012, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Divide and conquer, that is the story of my life! My oldest was 6, and the middle one was 2.5 when the third was born. I did go on to have a 4th and officially went over the edge then. lol.gif When the third child was born, we switched from doing things as a family to pairing off kids with parents. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 4 Old 03-09-2012, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mine are 5, 3, and 1.. The biggest issues with me stemmed a lot from being alone with all three (hubby was deployed so I spend from 8 months solo) and the difficulties there.. My biggest problems:

- not having enough arms to hug all three at the same time.. I have to make a conscious effort to rotate the child in the middle so no one feels left out.

- making time to spend one on one with each child.

- no one wants to wait for their turn for anything really. Again Ive learned to rotate around so everyone gets a chance to be first.

- Only two sides to me so I have to guess who is going to be the best behaved and put them on the outside so I can control the other two

- The NOISE.. My children can make more noise than I ever thought possible. They don't need musical toys (we have no battery operated toys) or noise makers, they make enough noise themselves. It gives me a migraine at times. Ive debated buying ear plugs.

- There is always someone doing something they shouldn't be doing. Its like I go to do something with the three of them and when I turn my back one has disappeared. My baby is a climber as well so its a bit scary!

- Now that my oldest isn't really "into" the baby-ish toys and activities I have to juggle older activities for her but keep them away from the baby.

- Trying to get all three to sleep at one time. I'm a bit sleep deprived!

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

Tags
Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page