how to password protect files? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-19-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I couldn't find the right place to post this. How do either password protect certain documents or just password protect my entire desktop? I have an older windows (millineum (SP?) edition).

#2 of 5 Old 03-19-2012, 01:25 PM

So, I'm not sure about Windows Millenium, but here's what I would do for a newer version of Windows, and it might work for Millenium:

If you just want to password-protect one or two documents, you do that within the document. For example, here's how you protect a Word document. People will still see that the file exists and the name of the file, but they can't open and see it without the password.

If you want more protection, you can create multiple log-ins on your computer and put a password on yours. That way, when someone starts up the computer, instead of going straight to your desktop, they will go to a welcome screen with all the log-ins you created. For example, you can have "Mom", "Dad" and "Guest".  You can have a password for "Mom" and separate password for "Dad" and the "Guest" one can be without a password, so anyone can log into it. Just note that one of you will have to be the Administrator, and can access all the log-ins. Someone logged into the "Dad" side cannot see any files or browser history for the "Mom" side.  Is this more of what you want to do?

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#3 of 5 Old 03-22-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I think I will just go with the different log ins, like "Mom," "Kids," etc. How do I do that? Thanks so much for your response. :)

#4 of 5 Old 03-22-2012, 11:54 AM

Again, I'm not sure about your operating system, but this is how I'd do it on Windows XP: Click Start menu, click Control Panel, click User Accounts, click Create New Account. That's were you will create all the accounts. You will be the "administrator" but you can also set others to be "administrator" too (like Dad). Only the Admin can do things like install new programs, go into other accounts, add/delete accounts, change passwords, etc.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#5 of 5 Old 03-24-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I will give that a try. :)

Tags
Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page