Today my friend was telling me that if your urine turns red/pink after eating beets, it means you have low stomach acid. Ds had a glass of ABC juice (apple, beets, carrots), and had RED urine a short time after.
He has a ton of food allergies, and I know his digestion doesn't work quite right and he has low liver function.
So what can I give him to help? I looked online, but pretty much everything applies more to adults, or things he cant have (keifer, yogart etc)
ETA: he is allergic to dairy, vinegar, and gets rashes on his face if he eats too much citrus. He has other allergies too, but I think those ones are most relevant
maybe try posting this in the allergies forum? there are a lot of knowledgable people over there. I've heard that thing about beets too, btw, and I have food intolerances and also pee red from eating beets, so maybe there is somethign to it.
I would take that with a grain of salt, or do some more research... I would be very surprised to learn I have low stomach acid (I get agita frequently enough, I was told I was pre-ulcerous in my mid-20's, I avoid more than one high-acid food in a meal) and I've had several mornings where I think "OH NO I'M DYING!" and then I realize I had like 6 beets with dinner. (I love beets.)
I assume that is your son's picture in your profile. He's got an amazing smile! Makes me smile back at him.
You need to start a poll for how many beet-eaters get colored urine. I do, my daughter did when she loved beets. Not RED but definitely quince-colored (like if you mix beet red with yellow).
Your friend's info sounds a wee bit fishy to me, but what do I know?
This does sound like a thread that would do well on the Allergy forum. I post there all the time, as we have allergies as well. (Not my former-beet-loving dd, but she does have a sensitive stomach).
Interesting, crunchy_mommy! You've started me on my next Google binge. "Low stomach acid", here I come.
I am never low iron. I wind up having my blood pulled for an iron count a lot (I take it as a hint to wear blush.) and I'm always in the high-normal range. Yay me! (I eat a TON of molasses. Cannot get enough of the stuff. Since I don't like red meat much, I think the beans and the molasses are what does it for me.)