Beet test - low stomach acid? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-21-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Today my friend was telling me that if your urine turns red/pink after eating beets, it means you have low stomach acid.   Ds had a glass of ABC juice (apple, beets, carrots), and had RED urine a short time after.   

He has a ton of food allergies, and I know his digestion doesn't work quite right and he has low liver function.   

So what can I give him to help?     I looked online, but pretty much everything applies more to adults, or things he cant have (keifer, yogart etc)

ETA:  he is allergic to dairy, vinegar, and gets rashes on his face if he eats too much citrus.      He has other allergies too, but I think those ones are most relevant

#2 of 6 Old 03-21-2012, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

maybe try posting this in the allergies forum?  there are a lot of knowledgable people over there.  I've heard that thing about beets too, btw, and I have food intolerances and also pee red from eating beets, so maybe there is somethign to it.

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#3 of 6 Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 AM

I would take that with a grain of salt, or do some more research...  I would be very surprised to learn I have low stomach acid (I get agita frequently enough, I was told I was pre-ulcerous in my mid-20's, I avoid more than one high-acid food in a meal) and I've had several mornings where I think "OH NO I'M DYING!" and then I realize I had like 6 beets with dinner.  (I love beets.)

I assume that is your son's picture in your profile.  He's got an amazing smile!  Makes me smile back at him.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#4 of 6 Old 03-23-2012, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)

You need to start a poll for how many beet-eaters get colored urine.  I do, my daughter did when she loved beets.  Not RED but definitely quince-colored (like if you mix beet red with yellow).

Your friend's info sounds a wee bit fishy to me, but what do I know?

This does sound like a thread that would do well on the Allergy forum.  I post there all the time, as we have allergies as well.  (Not my former-beet-loving dd, but she does have a sensitive stomach).

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#5 of 6 Old 03-23-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

I would take that with a grain of salt, or do some more research...  I would be very surprised to learn I have low stomach acid (I get agita frequently enough, I was told I was pre-ulcerous in my mid-20's, I avoid more than one high-acid food in a meal) and I've had several mornings where I think "OH NO I'M DYING!" and then I realize I had like 6 beets with dinner.  (I love beets.)

I always heard that low stomach acid would cause exactly your symptoms -- heartburn, indigestion, etc. This is why antacids often exacerbate the problem over time.

But I still agree with taking this with a grain of salt... I've read lots of criticisms of the "beet test" actually. I've eaten beets and had yellow urine, and other times such a light pink that I never noticed it until I started looking. But almost everyone else I know has noticeably pink/red urine -- and it doesn't seem likely that EVERYONE has low stomach acid, though I guess it's possible. I've also heard that the beet test can indicate you are low in iron. Another theory is that 'beeturia' is actually genetic, due to a recessive gene responsible for metabolizing betalaine.

If you take him to a GI, the doc should have some more accurate tests he can do to further investigate this...
cyclamen likes this.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#6 of 6 Old 03-23-2012, 10:12 AM

Interesting, crunchy_mommy!  You've started me on my next Google binge.  "Low stomach acid", here I come.

I am never low iron.  I wind up having my blood pulled for an iron count a lot (I take it as a hint to wear blush.) and I'm always in the high-normal range.  Yay me!  (I eat a TON of molasses.  Cannot get enough of the stuff.  Since I don't like red meat much, I think the beans and the molasses are what does it for me.)

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

Tags
Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page