What does quiet time look like at your house with your lo's? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I guess I just need some ideas. I have a three year old and a one year old. Usually I nurse my one yr old around lunch time after he's eaten and he goes down for a nap. Then I give an activity for my three yr old to do or he goes outside and plays. However, lately they have not been sleeping very well at night which in turn makes our days very crappy and tiring.

I know my three yr. old at this point doesn't need naps all the time, but he does need to decompress. My one yr. old definitely needs his nap. I had figured that if we missed once or twice that'd be fine, but we're now on day four and he doesn't want to sleep. So that leads me to my question, what are some things activities that your lo's do to calm them down during the day aside from sleeping? I guess in some way I'm torn because I know my one yr. old should be taking his nap but on the other hand having tried everything I'm not going to do cio as I am completely against it and that wouldn't solve anything anyway. Any ideas or suggestions are definitely appreciated. Thanks :)

#2 of 3 Old 03-21-2012, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Off the top of my head, we might read books, color or take a bath.  A loooooooong bubbly bath, with me sitting next to them drinking a coffee and slightly zoning out. Quiet time doesn't last too long here (3yr and 18m old) maybe half an hour tops?

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#3 of 3 Old 03-21-2012, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

What about a long walk in the stroller?  That might help you decompress a little, too.  A book on tape might work for your 3 year old, but probably not the 1 year old.  It might be worth a try.  My 23 month old tends to calm down if I sing to her.  I've always sung her to sleep, and now, if I'm not feeling to grouchy about her not napping, I'll sing to get her to quiet her mind a little while she's spending her naptime awake in her bed.  It's really hard to find effective quiet time activities for kids who really truly need a actual nap.  There's just no real substitute for actual sleep.  I feel like if DD doesn't nap, it doesn't really make a lot of difference whether or not she has quiet time.  She's still a mess!

Tags
Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page