Mothering Forum banner

What does quiet time look like at your house with your lo's?

Tags
parenting
452 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  newmamalizzy 
#1 ·
I guess I just need some ideas. I have a three year old and a one year old. Usually I nurse my one yr old around lunch time after he's eaten and he goes down for a nap. Then I give an activity for my three yr old to do or he goes outside and plays. However, lately they have not been sleeping very well at night which in turn makes our days very crappy and tiring.

I know my three yr. old at this point doesn't need naps all the time, but he does need to decompress. My one yr. old definitely needs his nap. I had figured that if we missed once or twice that'd be fine, but we're now on day four and he doesn't want to sleep. So that leads me to my question, what are some things activities that your lo's do to calm them down during the day aside from sleeping? I guess in some way I'm torn because I know my one yr. old should be taking his nap but on the other hand having tried everything I'm not going to do cio as I am completely against it and that wouldn't solve anything anyway. Any ideas or suggestions are definitely appreciated. Thanks :)

#3 ·
What about a long walk in the stroller? That might help you decompress a little, too. A book on tape might work for your 3 year old, but probably not the 1 year old. It might be worth a try. My 23 month old tends to calm down if I sing to her. I've always sung her to sleep, and now, if I'm not feeling to grouchy about her not napping, I'll sing to get her to quiet her mind a little while she's spending her naptime awake in her bed. It's really hard to find effective quiet time activities for kids who really truly need a actual nap. There's just no real substitute for actual sleep. I feel like if DD doesn't nap, it doesn't really make a lot of difference whether or not she has quiet time. She's still a mess!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.