Resource for toddler/preschooler developments? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

I really loved the part of Dr. Sears' Baby Book that describes the various developmental milestones to expect by age.  Now that my daughter is 2, I find myself really missing this resource.  Is there something similar out there for older children?  I'm just finding myself with a lot of "When will she be able to dress herself? When will she be able to pour a drink by herself? When will she make a representative drawing" etc. types of questions.  I know kids vary a lot, but it was nice to know at least vaguely what to expect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-02-2012, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I like this book:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Whats-Going-There-How-Brain-Lise-Eliot/9780553378252-item.html?ikwid=what%27s+going+on+in+there%3f&ikwsec=Home

the book is all development It is not so much a list of ages and stages though. Instead each chapter covers  a develpmental area like hearing, speech, gross motor, etc, and discuss' how and why and what is happening for the first 5 years. It is fascinating. Way more indepth than a list .  It even talks about prenatal develpment and birth and how this impacts develpment long term.

#3 of 3 Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymommy2 View Post

I like this book:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Whats-Going-There-How-Brain-Lise-Eliot/9780553378252-item.html?ikwid=what%27s+going+on+in+there%3f&ikwsec=Home

the book is all development It is not so much a list of ages and stages though. Instead each chapter covers  a develpmental area like hearing, speech, gross motor, etc, and discuss' how and why and what is happening for the first 5 years. It is fascinating. Way more indepth than a list .  It even talks about prenatal develpment and birth and how this impacts develpment long term.

My local library has it, so I'll definitely check it out.  Thanks!

Tags
Parenting

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page