Help me get the sleep I need in the mornings and be a more cheerful mama - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-14-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Recently my DS (5) has been waking up super early (around 6am) and basically torturing me lol. I'm a night owl. I find it difficult to fall asleep at night and am easily disturbed. But very early morning seems to be when I can sleep deeply. DS has always been a poor sleeper. He consistently gets a little less sleep than he needs, no matter what I do. He is a very high energy guy and super extrovert. He comes through to my room and wakes me up, starts asking a million questions, wants to 'snuggle' with me but then fidgets constantly. I send him back to his room but then he'll pop out 10 minutes later. He cannot self entertain AT ALL! He has stories on CD but he usually won't listen to them in the morning. I don't want to let him watch TV. He won't colour, or do puzzles or anything like that. We have a tenant downstairs and share a wall with neighbours so I need him to be reasonably quiet (a challenge in itself). 

I feel like I need to change something because by 7.15 when we get up I have lost all patience with him and start snapping about insignificant things. The rest of the morning routine is OK. We have breakfast, get dressed, brush teeth and leave for school. It's just the first hour I need help with.

I also have a 2 year old who usually sleeps until 7.30. If she does wake up earlier she'll just lie in my bed looking at books. She's much less intense. 

#2 of 7 Old 05-14-2012, 02:14 PM

Maybe an alarm clock will help him. Then there is at least a defined time when he knows he can get you up. If he knows there is a concrete end to the quiet time, maybe that would help. I would also do what you can to help yourself unwind. Might be easier to change yourself. Cut out all caffeine for a while, make sure your room is really dark. Make sure to keep lights low in the evening. Avoid sugar after dinner time. I used to be the same way- only slept well in the early hours of the morning, but out of desperation, I changed my diet and routines. Caffeine was a biggie. If I have one Hershey kiss after about 9 AM, I can't sleep that night. Also a loud fan really helps block out noise from passing cars or neighbors.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#3 of 7 Old 05-17-2012, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 5 year DD2 is a 6am on the dot waker and has been for quite a few years. I abandoned my ideals of no tv in the mornings and now leave the tv preset to a cartoon that comes on then. Another option that i will do is leave my iPad on the couch and she will sit there and play games until i wake up. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 7 Old 05-17-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

My 5 year DD2 is a 6am on the dot waker and has been for quite a few years. I abandoned my ideals of no tv in the mornings and now leave the tv preset to a cartoon that comes on then. Another option that i will do is leave my iPad on the couch and she will sit there and play games until i wake up. 

That's what I did too.

That, and a snack drawer that she could open and eat a pre-breakfast while watching tv.  I think I kept pre-made snack type things in there.

#5 of 7 Old 05-17-2012, 05:37 PM

take melatonin, it'll move your deep sleep cycle up.

#6 of 7 Old 05-20-2012, 07:54 AM

I have an early riser also, and a second child that will sleep later.  Early riser can get up anywhere from 5:45-6:30.  I used to tell him he had to stay in his room/bed until 7, but recently I switched it up to 6:30.  He absolutely needs to stay in bed quietly until then.  For some reason (perhaps this seems easier to him) he is doing it.  Yay.  If it doesn't bother you ( I need to get to the kitchen first-control and mess issues) leave out some snacks he can have quietly.  Fruit salad, nuts/seeds, granola or granola bars, or cereal if he can do the pouring himself.  If I were desperate that is what I would be doing.  Good luck, Mama. 

Mary

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
#7 of 7 Old 05-20-2012, 07:55 AM

Also, maybe a short and consistent yoga routine for you, right before bed?  Something like a few down dogs, forward stretches, etc.  Deep breathing.  Just a thought.  :)

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page