Painting Breast Feeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2012, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After the recent time mag. cover I have thinking a lot about breast feeding poses. And the huge lack of them in fine art. There is special emphasis of mother-and-child poses throughout western culture, mostly religious examples. But none are breast feeding. There are very very few paintings or sculptures of actual breast feeding.

When I imagine mother and child, I think of calm, tender, playful, having fun... and breast feeding. I feel inspired to paint a breast feeding scene - older child, younger child, tandum, whatever, in a typical pose and enviornment. Not the time magazine "dare me" stare. I paint in a more classical style, but a modern, 2012 scene.

Too bad I thought of this now, when my kids are 5 and 7 and no longer breast feeding. If you have any pictures, which you would be happy to be used for a painting, please email me the link or send me a private email. If I paint it, I would of course give you credit, name.... and/or a quality print of the painting, let me know what you want. You can see how I paint here: www.abrosenlund.com. See the first few paintings - the boy in the towel is my son, and see the dog in the abandoned home... I would paint it in this style.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 08:19 PM

Actually, I've had the priveledge of seeing quite a bit of nursing in fine art. When DC was 20mos old, we were fortunate enough to be able to take a family vacation to Italy. DC was still nursing a lot at the time. When we went into museums, her favorite things to point out in art were animals and nursing babes. There were more than I would ever have noticed on my own. I can't even begin to give you names of pieces as most everything we saw is a blur of 'awesome art', but I think if you if you dig, you'll find more than you anticipate.

That said, good luck with your effort. smile.gif
Old 06-03-2012, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

sorry cant be of any help. dont have pictures myself.

however i wanted to say how much i enjoyed your work. esp. the A4 paper. that was brilliant. simple stuff.

heck. i'd love you to paint us. if i had any :(

http://natasek.blogspot.com/2011/07/breastfeeding-through-art.html

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 06-04-2012, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

There are lots of breastfeeding paintings, (see http://www.art-breastfeeding.com/) but I think it's great that you'd like to take on this project. My kids are big now and I don't have photos to share, but wish you luck!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 06-04-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for the links. Lovely to see what paintings are there. I did actually see that specific Rembrant painting in Berlin last week! Very exciting. I hope I can find something. 

User Tag List