June Rockstar (formerly Whatever'ing) Mamas 2012 - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 409 Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

JJ, was he using the heat as an excuse because he doesn't want you to take her to the beach without him? I just don't understand. I try to be respectful of things that DH asks me to do or not do with Ava but he doesn't usually say such outlandish things. It was 90+ degrees today but we went to the park because we were going to be in the shade and Ava was going to be in the water the whole time playing in the water wall. headscratch.gif

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#362 of 409 Old 06-29-2012, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah - the hotter it is, the more likely we will be in the water - LOL - Tell him to come south. If we never ventured anywhere when it was 80 degrees +, we would be stuck inside 3/4 of the year.  MEN

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#363 of 409 Old 06-29-2012, 04:32 AM

Oh I hope you dismissed him and decided to go anyway.  That's just nonsense.  There is nothing more infuriating than someone questioning your judgement -- especially your own husband!

Dude, we were at the beach yesterday and it was too hot.  It had to be over 100 with the heat index.  We just had water to drink, watermelon, plenty of boob for the baby (he probably nursed more in those 2 hours than all day the day before, you know?), and a tent.  We did go in the water a bit (felt sooooo nice!).  It was fine!  That's what the beach is!  

What's funny is the kids were fine but *I* was the one who got burned and felt dizzy and got crabby b/c I was so busy being concerned with them I didn't think of myself.  So.  If anything, you sacrifice yourself to make sure the kids are ok.  And with other moms there -- what the hell!?  The kids will be FINE!  

UP EARLY.  Gah-- I think I made coffee with my eyes closed this morning!  I'm slowly coming around.  Idk why I'm so tired!!!  I fell asleep putting Nora to bed, and Finn STTN so it wasn't him.  The cats were howling at something at 5 so I came out to shush them and then Nora called for me and was a bit chatty for like 10 min...but then she went back to sleep and so did I.  Finn was up for the day at 630.  bigeyes.gifGAH.  I admit, I put him in the pack and play and fell asleep on the couch for like 20 min while he played.  

Chris comes home tonight!  After they're in bed, but still.  Yay!  

Making a wish list on amazon for Finn's birthday.  He needs drums.  He LOVES to turn anything and everything into a drum and beat it with sticks.  He'll even take a bowl and a straw if there's nothing around, flip it over, make it a drum and rock out.  Any recommendations?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#364 of 409 Old 06-29-2012, 06:11 AM

Nope, we stayed home. And I'm effing pissed about it. So I'm toying with two bitchy plans. A/ Going to the mall, because it's AIR CONDITIONED (as is our house, but yanno) and going shopping. Lots of shopping. New iphone anyone? That's such a better idea than the beach.   and B/ Telling him all freaking summer that I can't do any yard work because it's too hot for Tenley outside. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#365 of 409 Old 06-29-2012, 06:12 AM

I vote both!

Bummer. angry.gif

I shop when I'm mad.  I also clean when I'm mad.  And eat.  I think maybe you should take Ten out to lunch.  At a REALLLLLLY nice place.

I bought more dipes.  bag.gif

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#366 of 409 Old 06-29-2012, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Carrie - yay more diapers!

JJ: yes, do both! LOL I shop when I am mad. sometimes I clean. Most of the time I am mad bc I am the one that's cleaning, then I abdicate cleaning for a bit in hopes that someone else will do it.

Gabe burned the tip of his finger today on the stove. I know it hurts but he has been a sobbing mess for over an hour. Finally he is mostly calm. *sigh* put lavender and peppermint oil on it. Neosporin with pain relief. also tried a bowl of cool water with oils in it. That was the most successful, but he won't keep his hand in it. It's got a lovely blister.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#367 of 409 Old 06-29-2012, 06:56 AM

That's too bad, JJ. I'd totally go with plan B. I'm not much of a shopper/spender so that doesn't appeal to me but if it's something you've been wanting to do, do it!

I'm with everyone else on the heat. It's supposed to be over 100 F here for like 5 days. I consider that perfect weather for going to beach rather than not. My problem with going to the beach is that I'm afraid I won't be able to watch everyone and someone will drown. Ethan and Kellen love to be in the water but neither is a strong swimmer yet. Ethan has been venturing out further and further and Kellen tries to follow him.

We're supposed to go to the park today to meet a new baby in our homeschool group. I specifically said I want to meet the baby, but...Mom is planning to be there at 10 am, in about 9 minutes. We just got up maybe 20 minutes ago. I've only had one cup of coffee. No one has had anything to eat. We're nowhere near ready to leave the house yet.

Sean got home last night in a very good mood. The coffee pot was all set up for me this morning. All I had to do wash push the button. love.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#368 of 409 Old 06-29-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Gabe burned the tip of his finger today on the stove. I know it hurts but he has been a sobbing mess for over an hour. Finally he is mostly calm. *sigh* put lavender and peppermint oil on it. Neosporin with pain relief. also tried a bowl of cool water with oils in it. That was the most successful, but he won't keep his hand in it. It's got a lovely blister.

Ouch!  Hugs and kisses to Gabe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Sean got home last night in a very good mood. The coffee pot was all set up for me this morning. All I had to do wash push the button. love.gif

That's sweet!!

Did you make it to the playdate and love on that new baby!?

I'm running on fumes today!  Ack!!  I should be cleaning while Finn naps and Nora's at school but I'm watching TV and eating instead.  I'll tidy up later, I suppose...

Eh, I'm boring.  Nm to report.  How is everyone else?  Busy?  Thinking of annie and her family!  Keep us posted if you can!  And... thinking of the new iphone JJ is getting....winky.gif

#369 of 409 Old 06-29-2012, 01:27 PM

Hey everyone! Able to pick up some internet connection so I wanted to give you an update. 

I am still under mandatory evacuation and I am not sure when I am going to be able to go back. Sux, but at least I have my house (so far). Thinking of you all, and hopefully I will be able to catch up soon.

How is Kat doing?

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#370 of 409 Old 06-29-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Did you make it to the playdate and love on that new baby!?

Yes, I made it (an hour late). The baby is so tiny with a full head of fuzzy hair...hehe. Her mom said she's not tiny at all, 8.5 lbs. at birth, 8 lbs. 4 oz. now at a little over a week. It's always so amazing how tiny even bigger newborns are.

Another mama in our group is about 17 weeks pg now. I lent her my doppler to hear the heartbeat since she hasn't had any prenatals yet. I also gave her all of my mat clothes. Man, it feels good to be rid of those! I was hoping she'd be having a homebirth because she talked about it a lot before she was pg. Now, though, she says she's not sure. It depends on insurance and money.

There was a new family there today, too. Two boys around Ethan's and Kellen's age and two girls, one a baby just 11 days older than Dylan. That's kind of cool.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#371 of 409 Old 06-29-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

I am fine. Of course it's wicked hot outside when my internal temp is on the rise due to pregnancy.

Glad you are safe.

#372 of 409 Old 06-29-2012, 02:42 PM

Ok, so we ended up going. We got up, I was having breakfast and sitting on the computer, and I could tell already I was in such a pissy mood that I was going to spend the whole day cranky and yelling at her. That's not fair to her. And then a family member who is also part of the AP group commented on my vent thread and was like "Oh too bad, we wanted to go, and don't have a car today. J you should have told him you promised us you'd pick him up! And I was like, ok this is stupid. I'm so upset about not going, I'm cranky... Screw this. I looked up the bus schedule and determined that if I could get ready within 35 minutes, then we could bus to DH's work, grab the car, then pick up the friend and go, and make it there a a reasonable time. So I texted him and told him to call me when he was out of his appt. He did, and then decided to come home in between, so we drove him back to work, and then went on our way. 

SO GLAD I ended up going. It was wonderful to get out. It made the day fly by. I feel so much better after the day in the sand and water and sun. It was actually even cool. The water was very warm, but there was a gorgeous breeze, and I had to actually pull Ten out of the water because she was shivering. So no, not too hot :p lol. But she loved it, played in the sand, and this beach you can walk out half the length of a football field and it's only up to your waist, so it's perfect for the babies. Plopped her and her almost cousin down, and they played and splashed and grabbed at the wet sand. And then she slept for almost two hours on the way home. 

It was SUCH a gorgeous day. One of those that pre-kids, I could have taken a book and a massive thing of water, and laid on the beach from 10am-3pm and not moved, and woke up with a gorgeous tan, and all warm and fuzzy feeling, but not hot. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I vote both!

Bummer. angry.gif

I shop when I'm mad.  I also clean when I'm mad.  And eat.  I think maybe you should take Ten out to lunch.  At a REALLLLLLY nice place.

I bought more dipes.  bag.gif

I've never done the shopping while mad thing, but oh I was so tempted. I was going to get an iphone anyways, because I need something more than my current one for the doula work... but we've been trying to put it off as long as possible, since it's $160 up front, and then doubles my monthly cell contract. Anyways, I ended up not doing it. 

Ooooh! We could go for steak together. She needs iron, right? lol 

Diapers!! I didn't tell you guys, but I bought two more too, very pretty prints. And I already had 8 posted for sale, since I'd determined that I had way more than I needed. So, now I really should sell all 8. I was planning on posting the 8, and if I sold 4, I'd be happy. Now... I'll push for at least 6. They're so addicting!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

JJ: yes, do both! LOL I shop when I am mad. sometimes I clean. Most of the time I am mad bc I am the one that's cleaning, then I abdicate cleaning for a bit in hopes that someone else will do it.

I SO do that with the cleaning. And I'm about to do it again.  got angry last night, because I had a friend over Wednesday, so I did a speed clean Wed afternoon. By last night, the kitchen looks like a storm hit it. And 80% of it was not me. *sigh*  So, I'm on strike. I'm only putting away mine and Ten's stuff, and leaving everything else. From past experience though, I'll give up after a week, and nothing else will have been touched in the meantime. 

Poor Gabe :(   I've heard the cool water is the best for it too. This was probably posted hours ago, but if it's still warm to the touch, could you put something in the water to make it more enticing? Give him bubbles or something to push around in the water? 

Speaking of-- I'm -finally- starting up a homeopathic 'kit'. What do I need most? I've got at home lavender and rescue remedy. In my shopping cart is TTO, Clary Sage EO, grapefruit EO, more teething tablets, Arnica, pulsatilla, and calms forte.  They do free shipping after $79, so I figure I'll just order everything at once. DH told me to order whatever I want, and I'll just write it off as a business expense. Most of it I could totally justify that way too. 

PS, did we have the discussion here re: Baby sunscreen? I think every group of mine has had that discussion lately. We had a sample of Arbonne sunscreen, that I used for the first time on her today. I liked it, but don't have anything to compare it to. I've heard good things about the green beaver. I've used their face stuff before and liked it. 

Quote:

That's too bad, JJ. I'd totally go with plan B. I'm not much of a shopper/spender so that doesn't appeal to me but if it's something you've been wanting to do, do it!
I'm with everyone else on the heat. It's supposed to be over 100 F here for like 5 days. I consider that perfect weather for going to beach rather than not. My problem with going to the beach is that I'm afraid I won't be able to watch everyone and someone will drown. Ethan and Kellen love to be in the water but neither is a strong swimmer yet. Ethan has been venturing out further and further and Kellen tries to follow him.
We're supposed to go to the park today to meet a new baby in our homeschool group. I specifically said I want to meet the baby, but...Mom is planning to be there at 10 am, in about 9 minutes. We just got up maybe 20 minutes ago. I've only had one cup of coffee. No one has had anything to eat. We're nowhere near ready to leave the house yet.

YES! That's what finally got me. I remembered so many of my various MDC pals talking about outside days when it's 100+ out, and I was like this is silly! I -know- she's going to be fine. 

And that's my favorite part about going in a big group like this. There were probably 20 adults, some in couples, and some singles, and probably 30 kids. So there were tons of people both in the water and on the beach, to lend extra eyes.  Would Ethan and/or Kellen wear a life jacket, or water wings or something? 

Yay for coffee! And even more yay that he thought to do it for you. It seems like little by little he's trying a bit harder for you. Still misses, but... little things he's trying at least!

Ok, off to find dinner!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#373 of 409 Old 06-29-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

JJ, was he using the heat as an excuse because he doesn't want you to take her to the beach without him? I just don't understand. I try to be respectful of things that DH asks me to do or not do with Ava but he doesn't usually say such outlandish things. It was 90+ degrees today but we went to the park because we were going to be in the shade and Ava was going to be in the water the whole time playing in the water wall. headscratch.gif

I meant to comment on this too. I think in part that was his concern... but... he keeps saying that about different things (he wants to be there for her first), but then he resists actually going when I try to go do that activity. Case in point- he doesn't want me to go to the zoo without him. I totally get that. But every time I try to plan a zoo day, he thinks of a reason we can't go. So annoying, because then I miss out on playdates because I'm waiting for him. But you're right, I don't want him to miss those 'firsts', and I try really hard to take what he wants/worries about into consideration, which is why I wasn't going to go. I figured he told me his opinion, and if I didn't listen to it, then why bother even acting like his opinion matters, you know?   But the more I thought about how ridiculous his concern was, the more angry it made me. There's so many other things he could have voiced, and I would have been like "ok, I respect that, we won't go." But for him to make it about the heat and me not paying attention and letting her get heat stroke... that's just silly. 

#374 of 409 Old 06-29-2012, 03:07 PM

JJ ~ I'm glad you went and had such a good time.

Kellen would probably wear a vest and they both have boogie boards. Those things make me even more nervous, though, because I'm afraid they'll float away. I have a major fear of the ocean. It's almost a phobia. I have a panic attack if I go in past my ankles for too long. I can only handle it enough to dunk myself and get out as fast as I can.

And, yes, the little things Sean has been doing have really helped. I was actually thinking romantical thoughts about him today. winky.gif

I agree that it's important to take your spouse's opinion into account but that works both ways. If it's not something logical or reasonable or it's keeping you from doing something harmless that you really want to do, then your spouse needs to understand that, too.

We're the opposite here. Sean is always encouraging me to get out and do more but I don't want to. I did have a good time at the park today and the boys are much more pleasant to be around. Ethan is always much happier after playing with some friends for a while. He wants to plan a pool day and the rest of us were talking about meeting at the beach. Like you said, I can do it when there is a group and everyone is looking out for everyone else. I just can't take all 3 boys on my own.

#375 of 409 Old 06-29-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:

I have a major fear of the ocean. It's almost a phobia. I have a panic attack if I go in past my ankles for too long. I can only handle it enough to dunk myself and get out as fast as I can.
And, yes, the little things Sean has been doing have really helped. I was actually thinking romantical thoughts about him today. winky.gif
I agree that it's important to take your spouse's opinion into account but that works both ways. If it's not something logical or reasonable or it's keeping you from doing something harmless that you really want to do, then your spouse needs to understand that, too.
We're the opposite here. Sean is always encouraging me to get out and do more but I don't want to. I did have a good time at the park today and the boys are much more pleasant to be around. Ethan is always much happier after playing with some friends for a while. He wants to plan a pool day and the rest of us were talking about meeting at the beach. Like you said, I can do it when there is a group and everyone is looking out for everyone else. I just can't take all 3 boys on my own.

Ahh right. I forget you guys aren't going to a dinky beach, it's actually the ocean. That would make me nervous too. When it comes to kids, I'm much better with pools or small beaches. The one we were at today is about 45 minutes from our house, (when I'm not doing three stops in between, on the opposite side of the city), and is manmade, so it's really pretty small, and relatively safe. And even though it is 'technically' unsupervised, there are 'lifeguards' constantly patrolling it, and they're all actually trained paramedics. 

Yay romantic thoughts! I wish I could say the same lately :/

Getting out is so much easier when you have a good group of people to go with, and I know you've been having some trouble finding a like-minded local group. That makes it tough. If I didn't have this group, I'd probably stay home all the time. They put on enough playdates and stuff that I try to go out once every two weeks, and I go to my cousins about as often. I'll probably go more often during the summer, especially as she's more mobile and able to enjoy the company of the other babies. It's so nice to have a local tribe to complement the online tribe I have with you guys!

#376 of 409 Old 06-29-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwoten View Post

Ahh right. I forget you guys aren't going to a dinky beach, it's actually the ocean.

Haha, yeah! It's the ocean with not just sharks but also alligators and strong currents and crashing waves. At least it's the beach on the base so probably at least every other person there is trained in emergency first aid.

I did learn that the pool at the other base, the air station, has one of those sloping ends that starts at only 1 foot. I think I'll try that with the kids. It sounds perfect. I can't believe I've lived here for 6 years and never heard of it before.

Sean is upstairs putting Dylan to sleep. I haven't heard one peep out of either of them for about 30 minutes. I wonder if it's working.

#377 of 409 Old 06-30-2012, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

The airstation put in a nice pool?? Whoot!  The Army basy here has an awesome sort of water park. Nothing deeper than 4 feet, a lazy river, a couple of water slides, great toddler area, splash pad. And it's open to the public (whom they charge more than 2x as much as enlisted people to get in, but whatever) We went with my parents (retiree discount!) and the kids loved it.

I LOVE the ocean. LOVE. I don't like going with kids bc I can't go in as far as I want. I would be at the beach at least once a week if it were closer. If you go during high tide, you can go out quite a ways and it not be very deep, due to the sandbar.  (at least that's what I recall about the beach at CL) Man, I am so eager to go, I hope we get to go this week (we will just be going to charleston - need more $$ for a NC roadtrip:( )

Oh, and hooray for romantical thoughts! LOL I told DH one of the plus sides to pregnancy is that he doesn't have to worry about condoms for a while :)

I think this baby is a boy. The pregnancyh reminds me more of Gabe's than Norah's.

And yes, going with a group of people anywhere is way more fun. and less challenging.

#378 of 409 Old 06-30-2012, 05:08 AM

Glad you went JJ!!

I don't really like the ocean/water part.  I put my feet in or go up to my knees but I don't like the unpredicatability of the water.  I love going in to my waist or dunking down when I'm in the carribbean, or hawaii, and I can see thru the water.  But if it's the Jersey shore, forget it.  It scares the crap out of me and makes me feel dirty (like filthy dirty, like I need a shower).

Chris got home about 9 last night and I had both kids asleep by the time he got home!  It was nice b/c we sat and drank wine and chatted about our week.  I'm a little bummed he made plans to go running this morning.  He left just before 8.  Idk.  I thought he'd want to be here at least when Nora woke up.   When he left on Tuesday she was asleep, she was out when he got home last night, and now he's gone again.  Eh.  I'm just assigning my own feelings to it though.  She's always grumpy when she wakes  up, and this way she'll be in a better mood when she sees him at last.

I'm going out today!  Either by myself or with a friend to see a movie.  I almost would rather be alone!  LOL!  After this week I need a nice spa package or something to reset my batteries.  It was rougher than usual!  I don't really know why.  

I got more AIO dipes, two that I really wanted to try for a long time.  There was a sale (30% off) on an itti bitti tutto, and then I picked up a Thirsties Duo fab fitted in size 2.  I don't have any sized dipes so I wanted to see how it fits! Can't wait for my fluff!  I also bought a custom Oscar the grouch Rumpkinz that's in the wash, I can't wait to get it on Finn's bum and take a picture!  It's a-freaking-dorable!!

I have *some* romantical thoughts about DH...I think I'm too burnt out and AF-y today to think about him that way, but soon I bet!!  LOL!!  

#379 of 409 Old 06-30-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

I feel that way about lake water. it's just gross.

JJ: so glad you went and enjoyed yourself!

Man, nausea is kicking in full steam. Joy. (I like it, because it makes me feel the pregnancy is a healthy one. On the other hand, nausea sucks, and the thing that helps most - peppermint - is seriously bad for supply)

Thirsties duo are almost a OS diaper - just 2 staged. I think they are really cute; I just don't have any in the stash. I am trying to decide whether to do cloth from birth, or sposies  until my cloth fits. It would give me an excuse to have a shower. I have a local friend that does cloth diaper parties/showers.

I really need to get Gabe potty trained.

#380 of 409 Old 06-30-2012, 06:16 AM

Kat ~ I don't think that sandbar is still there at CL. I have gone out in the water and I don't recall being able to walk far. I think it got up to my chest pretty quickly.

Carrie ~ You sound a lot like me wrt the ocean. It just scares me. I love the beach, though. I like sitting in the sun, smelling the salt air and listening to the waves.

I bought a new diaper, too. I can't remember if I told you all that I found someone who makes cute hemp diapers. I got a couple of mediums that fit well. I want to order a half dozen more but I'm not sure on the size. Dylan is right in the overlap between the mediums and larges. I don't want to get a bunch of mediums and have him grow out of them in just a few months, but I don't want to order larges that end up being huge on him. That has happened in the past. I bought larger sized diapers because they were supposed to fit according to weight and measurements but were really big/thick on. So, I ordered one large to see how that fits before I order.

I also ordered some hemp inserts for my Wonderoos and Rainshine Baby pockets. I don't like the way the PFs stick out the back of the Wonderoos since we've got them at full size. It's just a tiny bit so not enough to fold over and tuck in. And, this way I can start using the PFs by themselves since Dylan is walking.

We got a really good deal on some of those sun/rash shirts for the boys yesterday. We were at the mall so ran into Children's Place to get some flip flops for Kellen (He is forever losing his shoes.) and all their summer stuff was on sale. 3 SPF 50 sun/rash shirts for less than $25. The boys also wanted sunglasses but I refused to buy them because they each have at least 3 pairs that they don't wear. I wasn't going to spend money on more. We got home and Ethan looked them up online and found that they are only $1.99 so they want to go back and buy them with their allowance. Geesh! If I had just taken a minute to look at the price and think about the situation, I might have come up with that while we were there so I wouldn't have to make 2nd trip back.

I think we're going to the pool today. We need to go to TRU first to get a floaty for Dylan and maybe one for Kellen.

#381 of 409 Old 06-30-2012, 06:16 AM

Oscar the grouch!!  Oh my! I can't wait to see that.  I miss the old sesame street btw. This new version is crap. We've got a classic classic bert and ernie lightshade in Ten's room. It clashes everything in there, but I've had it in every room I've had since I moved home after school. It only seemed fitting that Ten gets it. And she loves it. If I'm rocking her in there, I have to make sure that she's at an angle she can't see it, otherwise she'll just start at it and giggle. 

I traded one of my dipes for a Flip. DH groaned because I'm messing up my all-one-diaper stash, but I'm excited to try it out! lol. I'll probably end up putting it in with my doula lending library. 

#382 of 409 Old 06-30-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:

Oscar the grouch!!  Oh my! I can't wait to see that.  I miss the old sesame street btw. This new version is crap. We've got a classic classic bert and ernie lightshade in Ten's room. It clashes everything in there, but I've had it in every room I've had since I moved home after school. It only seemed fitting that Ten gets it. And she loves it. If I'm rocking her in there, I have to make sure that she's at an angle she can't see it, otherwise she'll just start at it and giggle. 

I traded one of my dipes for a Flip. DH groaned because I'm messing up my all-one-diaper stash, but I'm excited to try it out! lol. I'll probably end up putting it in with my doula lending library. 

That's so funny because my big kids complain about the new SS too! Like they get super pissed about it! I usually FF through Abby's Flying Fairy School because Ava doesn't like it. But she loves Murray and his little lamb, partly I think because her babysitter calls her daughter "mi jita" so she's used to hearing that. Occasionally we catch an old SS on Sprout.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#383 of 409 Old 06-30-2012, 08:34 AM

SUPER bad storm went through my area last night. We didn't lose power thankfully but everyone around us did. It's supposed to be 101 degrees today. I'd lose my mind if we didn't have AC!

Took Ava to the pediatric opthamologist yesterday to look at her clogged tear duct. Both of her tear ducts were clogged at birth but her right one resolved itself. The left one hasn't and her pedi wanted it looked at by her 1 yr visit. He dilated her eyes and said they were fine and gave us three options: 1)do nothing and watch for infection 2)in office procedure requiring her to be restrained for like 5 mins and having something going in her eye while awake or 3) doing that same procedure but under general anesthesia in the OR. We chose option 1 and will reevaluate in 3 months. Number 2 will never happen. We still have trust issues from the last surgery and the procedures done on her while she was awake. I don't know why grownups think that since they can't talk, it's no problem to do traumatic stuff to babies. They know what's going on. And since she's going to need to go to regular dr appts for the rest of her life, we need her to not be afraid of doctors.

#384 of 409 Old 06-30-2012, 09:29 AM

Couldn't wait for Ava's birthday to post her story... http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1356965/the-birth-of-my-heart-hero-ava-pauline

#385 of 409 Old 06-30-2012, 10:22 AM

Annie ~ That sounds like a good plan.

JJ ~ I think you asked a while back about sunscreen. I only use zinc or titanium dioxide. Ethan breaks out in a rash from the synthetic chemical ones. I think I have some CA Baby and some from Loving Naturals. The Loving Naturals has non-micronized zinc. The micronized zinc is maybe not safe because it can be absorbed through the skin, if I understand correctly. I got both of those through co-ops. I have yet to find a store around here that sells anything with just minerals for sensitive skin.

#386 of 409 Old 06-30-2012, 06:35 PM

Aww go back a few seasons and sesame street is good!! Before Abby, before they started with journey to ernie...it's not as classic as when we were kids but some of the clips are older. Love sesame street!!

Ok..so...had lunch with a friend today. I was gone for like...5 hours. We went to the mall, shopped, chatted, talked about birth, it was amazing. I think...I think im convinced, and ready to admit I truly want to be a labor/birth Doula. Where do I begin???

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

#387 of 409 Old 06-30-2012, 06:40 PM

Annie- Wow!  I know you posted bits and pieces when it was going on, but that is one intense birth story! Mama I am so thankful for you that Ava did all she could before the birth to help you prepare. God really did have you guys in His hands with all of that!  I didn't realize that you didn't really get to see her again between the birth and her transfer :( I can't imagine how hard that must have been!

Looked at sunscreens today. The only one the store had that looked semi good was the Aveeno stuff, but it was stilll eh. We're going to stop at the health store on our way out tomorrow and see what they've got. 

OH! Speaking of. We're doing a last minute hotel night tomorrow for Canada day, at the hotel I work at. It's a super cheap rate, and 50% off food and beverage, and the hotel overlooks the park that does the biggest fireworks. So we're going to go early in the day, walk around and enjoy the park and the activities, and then go back to the hotel, order room service and watch the fireworks from the room. They just opened a big splash pad, so I can't wait to take Tenley to see it!   And I'm very proud of DH for agreeing to it, and saying yes without it becoming an overthought huge deal. I am sooo excited to just spend some comfy time as a family.   And a king size bed for cosleeping!

#388 of 409 Old 06-30-2012, 06:44 PM

Yay Carrie!!   DONA is the biggest organization. I LOVED the training workshop they did, though I personally chose not to certify, as I didn't love some of the restrictions that they place on their doulas. I would start reading, and from there so so so much of it, is just attending births! I did a bunch of training before, but that was because I hadn't ever given birth or attended one. Since you have, and you're more familiar with what can be relaxing or help to deal with the pain in labor, I think you're a lot more prepared than I was when I attended my first birth!

Also, I can't say much because who knows who found my profile after the photo was posted on FB from mdc, but someone I know just found out their pregnant, and I'm one of the only people to know, even her husband doesn't know. I am so freaking excited for her, she's got adorable kids, and there's a good chance I'll be her doula. :) 

#389 of 409 Old 07-01-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Annie- Wow!  I know you posted bits and pieces when it was going on, but that is one intense birth story! Mama I am so thankful for you that Ava did all she could before the birth to help you prepare. God really did have you guys in His hands with all of that!  I didn't realize that you didn't really get to see her again between the birth and her transfer :( I can't imagine how hard that must have been!

Looked at sunscreens today. The only one the store had that looked semi good was the Aveeno stuff, but it was stilll eh. We're going to stop at the health store on our way out tomorrow and see what they've got. 

OH! Speaking of. We're doing a last minute hotel night tomorrow for Canada day, at the hotel I work at. It's a super cheap rate, and 50% off food and beverage, and the hotel overlooks the park that does the biggest fireworks. So we're going to go early in the day, walk around and enjoy the park and the activities, and then go back to the hotel, order room service and watch the fireworks from the room. They just opened a big splash pad, so I can't wait to take Tenley to see it!   And I'm very proud of DH for agreeing to it, and saying yes without it becoming an overthought huge deal. I am sooo excited to just spend some comfy time as a family.   And a king size bed for cosleeping!

Yeah that's actually been one of the hardest things for me with Ava's birth. I *still* have trouble connecting the Ava I was pregnant with and saw that morning in the hospital with the Ava I met in the NICU and have at home now. I've spent hours looking at the pictures from that day to connect the two Avas in my head. It still feels like the Ava I was pregnant with died.

Sunscreen...ugh. Every time I go to Target and start looking at sunscreens, I don't want to commit to any of them. DSD 13 has such sensitive skin and most sunscreens gave her hives when she was little. Ava's skin is super sensitive too like that and I'm worried what the result would be! DSD 13 did do ok w/Aveeno so I guess I could start there. So far, I've just been keeping her in the shade at the water wall.

Yay for hotel time! Even 24 hours away will feel like a vacation!

#390 of 409 Old 07-01-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Yay Carrie!!   DONA is the biggest organization. I LOVED the training workshop they did, though I personally chose not to certify, as I didn't love some of the restrictions that they place on their doulas. I would start reading, and from there so so so much of it, is just attending births! I did a bunch of training before, but that was because I hadn't ever given birth or attended one. Since you have, and you're more familiar with what can be relaxing or help to deal with the pain in labor, I think you're a lot more prepared than I was when I attended my first birth!

Also, I can't say much because who knows who found my profile after the photo was posted on FB from mdc, but someone I know just found out their pregnant, and I'm one of the only people to know, even her husband doesn't know. I am so freaking excited for her, she's got adorable kids, and there's a good chance I'll be her doula. :) 

Totally agree! Taking the weekend course would be awesome but I don't think it's necessary to certify. I haven't certified and I've attended 5 births and those were all before I was pregnant myself.

Tags
Baby , Baby Food , Taking Charge Of Your Fertility The Definitive Guide To Natural Birth Control Pregnancy Achievement , Taking Charge Of Your Fertility 10th Anniversary Edition The Definitive Guide To Natural Birth Contr

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page