June Rockstar (formerly Whatever'ing) Mamas 2012 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 409 Old 06-19-2012, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Unless you plan on hosting it at her house, there will be gluten. Seriously. She can get over it or not come. (I don't know her, obviously, but she seems like the sort of person that might not be missed . . . . that sounds mean. but I haven't had my coffee yet) I am all for accomodating various dieting restrictions - at both of Gabe's parties I have had vegetarians (thankfully no vegans, that's harder) and people allergic to everything in the onion family (garlic, shallots, leeks . . .) And was able to accomodate them without much problem. Say Quesadilla!  But Gluten??? do you have to provide gluten free cake? ugh.

Annie/Lauri glad tests have come back ok - hope those teeth come through soon and you get a bit of a respite for the next ones.

Carrie - didn't comment on your ghost. But I have had something similiar happen to a friend and I and it totally freaked us out. at least he seems friendly.

MW: how is the truck doing? Ryan seems to like it. (unless he's being funny?)

AFU: I am tired, as usual. I hate these freaking long post partum cycles. Day 46 now. Last one was 53. On one hand, fewer periods to deal with. On the other, I hate the unpredictability. I have fertile signs around day 28-30, and if I O'd, that's a freakishly long LP. 

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#182 of 409 Old 06-19-2012, 05:22 AM

JJ - agreed about the gluten thing.  As vegans we are always going to parties and I don't expect the host to completely cater to us!  WTF?  Also that's her issue if her kids can't be trusted not to eat something that isn't gluten free.

Now.  There are easy things to have available that are gluten free so they aren't sitting there starving (I mean, cheese, rice, meat, fruits, veggies, etc) but I mean, NOTHING says you have to have the entire event GF!  Redic.

Kat - long cycles sound like the pits and i think that's where I'm headed too.  Boo. 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#183 of 409 Old 06-19-2012, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Booo. Indeed - it's a major PITA. makes me worry too much about an oops. ~lalalalalalalal~ need to focus on other things, like coffee!

I had a big cup, and now I am feeling all sweaty. ugh.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#184 of 409 Old 06-19-2012, 07:52 AM

I missed something about ghosts. What was it? I'm always fascinated by that sort of thing. I don't believe in them but I find that sort of stuff so interesting. I had a very scary experience with something like that right after I moved into this house.

The truck is fine. Ryan was being serious. He really likes it.

Ryan has a girlfriend who's been staying over. I was wondering last night what I thought/felt about that. I was feeling unsure about it but then thinking he is an adult and he does pay rent. If we were roommates, it would be ok unless we had made a rule against it together. Anyway, I realized that the problem is that I think I should not allow it because that's what conventional parenting says but the truth is that it doesn't really bother me. It's not like they're chasing each other around the house naked with the kitchen utensils. lol.gif

We've been sleeping pretty well. Dylan was up and squirmy until after midnight last night but we slept until almost 10 am so I can't really complain. We were just coming downstairs when DH came home from work. lol.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#185 of 409 Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

JJ - agreed about the gluten thing.  As vegans we are always going to parties and I don't expect the host to completely cater to us!  WTF?  Also that's her issue if her kids can't be trusted not to eat something that isn't gluten free.

Now.  There are easy things to have available that are gluten free so they aren't sitting there starving (I mean, cheese, rice, meat, fruits, veggies, etc) but I mean, NOTHING says you have to have the entire event GF!  Redic.

Absolutely! I totally understand them wanting to have food the girls can eat as well. But not allowing the hosts to serve any gluten food (because it's not fair to the girls...) isn't fair. Or realistic. They're growing up. They're going to encounter foods they can't eat. They really need to be teaching the girls that, but they choose not to. And all you guys are right, it's very much her personality. She's known as the family thunder thief, and loves to make a huge deal about -everything-. Every time we post something new about Ten, or she finds out through the grapevine, she has to counter about something with her youngest (6m older than T). ie Tenley is teething "Oh, no way she'll get teeth yet. It'll be at least 2 more months. Don't get your hopes up. Oh, did you know that Marcus cut his first tooth last week?"   Copy and paste with anything exciting we mention. 

Ok, apparently it's naptime, I'll be back later. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#186 of 409 Old 06-19-2012, 08:19 AM

Naptime...haha! We just got up for the morning a little over an hour ago.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#187 of 409 Old 06-19-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Ryan has a girlfriend who's been staying over. I was wondering last night what I thought/felt about that. I was feeling unsure about it but then thinking he is an adult and he does pay rent. If we were roommates, it would be ok unless we had made a rule against it together. Anyway, I realized that the problem is that I think I should not allow it because that's what conventional parenting says but the truth is that it doesn't really bother me. It's not like they're chasing each other around the house naked with the kitchen utensils. lol.gif
We've been sleeping pretty well. Dylan was up and squirmy until after midnight last night but we slept until almost 10 am so I can't really complain. We were just coming downstairs when DH came home from work. lol.gif

I think your point about paying rent is a very valid one. If he's contributing to the household AND having her there isn't further dipping into your household resources (ie I've had friends with roommates complain that bfs/gfs use up all the hot water, or all the groceries, or never clean up after themselves), then as long as they're not bothering you, I don't see why you should feel obligated to worry about it. You're right, if they were disturbing you in some way with excessive noise, or with the kids, or something, then that's different... but otherwise *shrugs* do what you feel is right. 

Quote:

Naptime...haha! We just got up for the morning a little over an hour ago.

She's been up since about 530am. I brought her into bed and she off and on slept and pulled my hair/scratched my back until almost 8, and then we were up for the day. But really... she's been awake since about 6am. 5 minutes here and there for 2 hours doesn't count! lol

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#188 of 409 Old 06-19-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

MW: I am jealous of your wake up time! I feel good that I slept until 7! LOL

Ryan . . . hmmm. I am torn, bc while I agree with the above points (rent paying, non disruptive, etc - and he's an adult) with my own kids, it's like, just because they are an adult doesnt' mean they stop being your kids, IYKWIM. I want them to take sex seriously and hope they reserve it for a committed relationship (hopefully a monogomous one). I think with the later marriage ages we see, that saving it for marriage is a bit unrealistic (not impossible or anything, but just unlikely). I think if it was someone my child had been seeing/dating for a while, and I knew them, etc, I would be ok with it. I would NOT be ok with a bunch of one night stand type things. Plus if there are littles in the house, I am sure they would be looking up to the older one as a role model, etc. . . . So, yes, I am a bit conflicted. Thankfully, I have a while before that's an issue in our house!

I wish I could take a nap . . . enjoy JJ!

#189 of 409 Old 06-19-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

MW: I am jealous of your wake up time! I feel good that I slept until 7! LOL

Ryan . . . hmmm. I am torn, bc while I agree with the above points (rent paying, non disruptive, etc - and he's an adult) with my own kids, it's like, just because they are an adult doesnt' mean they stop being your kids, IYKWIM. I want them to take sex seriously and hope they reserve it for a committed relationship (hopefully a monogomous one). I think with the later marriage ages we see, that saving it for marriage is a bit unrealistic (not impossible or anything, but just unlikely). I think if it was someone my child had been seeing/dating for a while, and I knew them, etc, I would be ok with it. I would NOT be ok with a bunch of one night stand type things. Plus if there are littles in the house, I am sure they would be looking up to the older one as a role model, etc. . . . So, yes, I am a bit conflicted. Thankfully, I have a while before that's an issue in our house!

I wish I could take a nap . . . enjoy JJ!

Ugh. It was 15 minutes long, and she wouldn't fall back asleep, but is a monster now. So tired, but so fighting it. I think we're going to switch around our day and go grocery shopping soon so that I can put her in the carrier and hopefully she'll sleep long enough to tide her over until her afernoon nap. 

Re: Ryan-- oh gosh yes! It would not fly in my books if it was different girls all the time. Totally different if it was the same person. I should also note that my mother let me have sleepovers with my boyfriend from age 17 onwards. But we are a freaking anomaly and didn't have sex until we were married. Lots of sleepovers, but that's really all they were. 

And I see the point of there being little ones with curious minds in the house too. I guess it would depend on how it's handled by everyone. 

#190 of 409 Old 06-19-2012, 11:43 AM

JJ ~ Dylan did something similar with his nap yesterday. He woke up too soon, would not go back to sleep, but was just fussy, fussy, fussy afterward. He did finally fall back to sleep maybe an hour or so later but it was not fun dealing with him before that!

Oh, and we didn't sleep straight from midnight until 10 am. Dylan stirred several times to nurse and dh woke me up at least twice coming into the bedroom between 5 and 6 am. irked.gif

Yeah, Ryan's not having a string of one night stands. This is his girlfriend, albeit relatively new, but monogamous as far as he says. Ryan's not into one night stands. That's one thing he complained about here when I asked him in the past why he wasn't interested in dating. He said all the young women here are either looking for a Marine to marry or are already married to Marines and only looking for hook ups. He's not interested in wasting his time if it's not going to be a relationship. love.gif And, honestly, I don't know that they are having sex, only that she's slept over a few times. I slept with boyfriends without having sex.

Ethan was a little concerned the first time he saw her car still here in the morning. Kellen said it was ok because she was with Ryan.

I get the feeling that your kids are always your kids but once they are adults they aren't children anymore. I don't subscribe to that whole, "while under my roof you have to follow my strict, controlling rules," mindset. Yes, everyone needs to be respectful of everyone else but once you are legally an adult and responsible for yourself, things like curfews are ridiculous, imo.

#191 of 409 Old 06-19-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Not strict rules - but respect. like the girl/woman (she is younger than me, but older than my little sister) who rented the basement before we moved in. - she would come home, late, drunk off her butt, ringing the doorbell at 2 a.m. A curferw is stupid for someone who isn't even your kid, but some respect for the "landlords" is appreciated.

and I am glad Ryan feels that way. I was trying to get into my head, how I might feel 15-20 years down the line about something like that. And yes, you can sleep over without sex. DH and I did for months before we were married.  So, my ramblings were more to the, what would I do or think in that situation? sort of thing.

I don't think I've stayed in bed past 8 or 9 am . . . . since I was pregnant with DS. *sigh* I would rather go to bed early, but DS is too much of a night owl.

The kids stay in bed with DH some days until around 10.

#192 of 409 Old 06-19-2012, 12:26 PM

Ended up going out and doing yardwork with Ten on my back and she slept for about an hour I think? I'm borrowing a Boba right now, and I love it!! Much better than the Beco. Rob still prefers the mei tai, but I think I could be convinced into the Boba fulltime! (Not that we're in the market for another carrier...)

Quote:

Yeah, Ryan's not having a string of one night stands. This is his girlfriend, albeit relatively new, but monogamous as far as he says. Ryan's not into one night stands. That's one thing he complained about here when I asked him in the past why he wasn't interested in dating. He said all the young women here are either looking for a Marine to marry or are already married to Marines and only looking for hook ups. He's not interested in wasting his time if it's not going to be a relationship. love.gif And, honestly, I don't know that they are having sex, only that she's slept over a few times. I slept with boyfriends without having sex.
I get the feeling that your kids are always your kids but once they are adults they aren't children anymore. I don't subscribe to that whole, "while under my roof you have to follow my strict, controlling rules," mindset. Yes, everyone needs to be respectful of everyone else but once you are legally an adult and responsible for yourself, things like curfews are ridiculous, imo.

Yeah, if we all raise our children and at 20-something, that's their mindset, I think we're doing alright! lol

I think that as long as they are living at home, they need to be following your rules. But I agree they don't need to be strict and controlling. But like, if you did decide that you weren't comfortable with her spending the night, then I think you're fully within your rights to say no, she can't stay. Or she can only stay on Sat/Sun, etc etc. He's still living under your roof, and I am of the belief that if a child (well adult, but child in this sense) is still living at home, then they need to be respectful of house rules still. Now, if it were things like "You're 21, but I want you home by 10pm every night, and no friends over unless you ask permission, and I'm going to check if your room is clean every day" ... then yeah, that's silly, and as that child, I'd be hightailing it out of there! lol

Quote:

Not strict rules - but respect. like the girl/woman (she is younger than me, but older than my little sister) who rented the basement before we moved in. - she would come home, late, drunk off her butt, ringing the doorbell at 2 a.m. A curferw is stupid for someone who isn't even your kid, but some respect for the "landlords" is appreciated.

^^Yeah, basically that. 

#193 of 409 Old 06-19-2012, 01:05 PM

Yeah, that's why I said that everyone needs to be respectful of everyone else. I do expect Ryan and his friends to be respectful of us and I also try to be respectful of them. I know many parents who are not respectful toward their children regardless of their age and I think that's really sad.

I guess I can understand telling your adult child no BFs/GFs spending the night if you aren't comfortable if they are still relying on you for all their financial support. Even then, though, I kind of see that as the parents using their financial position to control the adult child and I don't think that's very respectful. Plus, I think that if the adult child is working and paying rent it becomes even more their home, too. I mean, technically Ryan is helping to pay for our mortgage. That sort of gives him a financial piece in our home. It is his home, too, whether he pays anything or not, though, just like it's the younger boys' home.

DH has that mindset and it really bugs me. For example, the other day he asked (read that as told in a request type of way) Ryan to not park in the driveway so he could park his truck there. His reasoning was that his truck is a lot bigger than Ryan's car. I guess that means it's more likely to get sideswipped or whatever. Ryan said something to Sean about why he parked in the driveway. Sean's response was, "I'll tell you what. When you start paying half the mortgage, you can park in the garage." To me, that was just mean and nasty and disrespectful. Sean sort of flexing his muscles at Ryan. I get Sean's POV but the way he approached it gave the message that he thinks he and his things are more important than Ryan and Ryan's things. I mean, with that line of thinking, since I don't contribute at all financially I shouldn't be allowed to park in the driveway.

#194 of 409 Old 06-19-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Msybe express that to Sean? It mIght help him see it in a different light.

#195 of 409 Old 06-19-2012, 06:00 PM

Yeah I agree with you mw. The way I feel about it is is want my son or daughters girl/boy friend to be comfortable enough around me and the others in the house that it doesn't come across secretive. My older sisters always had boyfriends come and sleep over or live there at my moms, but it was awkward. Very secretive, slinking in and out, barely a hello... I don't want that. Come hang out. Eat dinner with us. Be a house guest rather than a sleep over buddy, you know?

I agree Seans comment could be really offensive. :-(

Who all is going in September? How many days are each of you staying?
I think I have a touch of whatever this virus is the kids have, and I'm beat. I'm trying to get them down now so I can sit, not watch Thomas, and not think for a little while. Sometimes it's exhausting wording things so Nora will not only listen, but not flip out. I think we had a pretty good day tho, for all of us being sick.

Oh, and I noticed a yeast rash in one of Finns thigh rolls. I think it's painful! He screamed when I puked the fold apart. I felt terrible! I'm sure that's not helping his mood.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#196 of 409 Old 06-19-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:

I missed something about ghosts. What was it? I'm always fascinated by that sort of thing. I don't believe in them but I find that sort of stuff so interesting. I had a very scary experience with something like that right after I moved into this house.

Last night around 3 am, I went into the kitchen with Finn to get him motrin.  I got the bottle and the syrnge, and out of nowhere heard a male deep voice loud say, "YOU ALRIGHT?" in my right ear. I spun around ready to kill Chris thinking it was him seeing if we were ok (he sleeps in the living room), and he knows I hate being snuck up on at night.  There was nobody there.  I looked around in the dark for like a minute before it really registered in my mind what had just happened. It was REAL.  That voice, I can still hear it in my head.  

#197 of 409 Old 06-19-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Last night around 3 am, I went into the kitchen with Finn to get him motrin.  I got the bottle and the syrnge, and out of nowhere heard a male deep voice loud say, "YOU ALRIGHT?" in my right ear. I spun around ready to kill Chris thinking it was him seeing if we were ok (he sleeps in the living room), and he knows I hate being snuck up on at night.  There was nobody there.  I looked around in the dark for like a minute before it really registered in my mind what had just happened. It was REAL.  That voice, I can still hear it in my head.  

This is still creeping me out! I just got chills reading it again! Man, I probably wouldn't have been able to stay in the house until it got light outside.

I'm planning to go for the whole time but I'm seriously reconsidering Busch Gardens, especially if Ava still isn't walking. There's no way I'm carrying her butt around all day and she tolerates a stroller for about 0.7 seconds.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#198 of 409 Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 PM

Carrie ~ I've got some pills for those voices in your head. pinktongue.gif

Did I tell you guys my ghost story? Like I said, it started right after I moved into this house, so summer 2007. Sean was deployed. I would feel like I'd wake up in the middle of the night to a dark shadow hovering over my bed. I was terrified. I couldn't move or make a sound. I would try to yell for Ryan but no sound would come out of my mouth. It happened multiple times and got worse every time. The last few times the shadow thing was literally pinning me down. I was screaming at it in my head to come and get me like I was going to fight it. lol.gif I told my therapist. She said it was fear, my fear of something manifesting itself as night terrors. After that it stopped and has never come back. I think it's pretty cool that once I knew what it was, it was gone.

Obviously, I'm going to Williamsburg for the whole time. I'm still waiting to see if Sean can get the time off. He's now going to be the Commanding Officer of something, which might make it difficult for him to take leave. He has to use it or lose, though, so that might be in his favor. I guess it just depends on how busy his job is.

I did tell Sean my perspective on what he said but he didn't get it. His response was, "Fine, then Ryan can park in the driveway," very begrudgingly. That's what he does. If he doesn't immediately get what he wants, he gets very passive/aggressive. I told Sean if that was the best he could than I guess that's how it would be. Ryan did move his car.

#199 of 409 Old 06-19-2012, 07:48 PM

Yeah I can see the problem with how Sean worded that. I do get that he feels he has priority for parking the truck on the driveway... but definitely could have been approached better!!

I'm not going, but I'll be thinking of you guys!! Annie and I will have a mdc party and keep the thread alive :lol

#200 of 409 Old 06-20-2012, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

All these ghosts!

I've taken time off, but it will depend on whether or not DH is working and is coming. I think I plan on staying the whole time.

Has any of you toddlers just cried, and cried and gotten louder and nothing calms them? I can't quite call it a tantrum, because it's just standing still and there isn't really any defiance to it. IDK if you have any ideas to diffuse it? What works, sort of, is just cuddling and not talking (bc talking gets no response and sometimes makes it worse) although I admit, when Gabe gets like this, I really don't feel like cuddling him. I feel like I am missing something, like some piece of the puzzle, but don't know what ~ and he can't/won't tell me.

Truck parking *ugh* That could have been handled way better. (by Sean) Like hey, Ryan, it's not really safe for the truck to be street parked, as there's not much space there for all this sexiness. Do you mind moving your car so I can park in the driveway?

That said, I've been the extra (3rd or 4th) car in a family for years, and it's always been kind of understood that I get te sucky parking spot. From getting my first car in high school, to living with my grandmother in college, being the 3rd car when we lived in Japan, and again back stateside, then with the IL's before they were ILs . . . . I didn't get priority parking until we had our own house. Now I get it sort of, living with my parents, because toting kids around gives you a bit more clout in that fight.

man, I'm tired.

#201 of 409 Old 06-20-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:

Carrie ~ I've got some pills for those voices in your head. pinktongue.gif

It wasn't in my head.  I swear!  I heard it!! shrug.gif

Quote:

Truck parking *ugh* That could have been handled way better. (by Sean) Like hey, Ryan, it's not really safe for the truck to be street parked, as there's not much space there for all this sexiness. Do you mind moving your car so I can park in the driveway?

biglaugh.gif

Ok good.  I'm pretty sure 99.99% sure, we're staying the whole time, too.  MW, can I paypal you the money?  Will that work?

#202 of 409 Old 06-20-2012, 06:16 AM

Yes, you can send the money PP or WePay. I have accounts with both.

Haha, Kat, too much sexiness!

I get the conventional idea of feeling like you should get priority parking because you are the adult or the parent or whatever. But, if you are trying to live a consensual life where everyone is equal regardless of age or gender or financial contribution or whatever else you can think of, then that idea doesn't fit. As soon as I go somewhere in the van I'm going to park it in the street so Ryan can park in the driveway. He had a valid reason but I can't remember what it was. It's not really a problem parking in the street. It's still right in front of the house.

I doubt we'll do Busch Gardens, either. I'm going to get passes for Williamsburg, though. Ryan had a really good time there when he was about Ethan's age so I think Ethan and Kellen will really like it, too.

#203 of 409 Old 06-20-2012, 06:42 AM

Uh oh - we need someone to come with us to Busch so someone can watch the littles while we go on rides!  Lauri - come!  We'll help with Ava!! Are the big kids able to come?

If we do the flex tickets, busch is included, as well as Jamestowne and a bunch of other things....

http://admissions.williamsburgmarketplace.com/eStore/Content/Commerce/Products/DisplayProductDetails.aspx?ProductGroupCode=1057&ProductCategoryCode=4&ProductCode=14132&Mode=Standard

#204 of 409 Old 06-20-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

ooh, coasters! DH can't ride them, but I can! The flex ticket sound neat, (pricey, but neat) I need to work on saving some $$. *sigh* I suck at saving money.

Lauri, can you wear Ava? makes her not walking and not stroller riding less of an issue.

Consensual living . . . I don't know how to apply that in anywhere except maybe at home. It doesn't jive at work. Even at home, someone is always giving way to someone else's needs - not saying it's not possible, I just don't know how you make that work.

#205 of 409 Old 06-20-2012, 07:28 AM

I think it's hard with littles b/c usually decisions are made 2:1 in favor of the baby, or in favor of what's easiest/best for the mama/baby pair.  But with a grown child, or with a spouse, it's easier and better I think to be on equal ground.  You do make sacrifices but you don't throw power around (does that make sense?) to make decisions.

Ladies, I going to take both kids to the dr by myself.  I'm so not looking fwd to this.  Nora complained her ear hurt and Finn is still a hot mess...I might as well take both if I'm going to take one.  I really hope they find nothing wrong. 

Idk what is up with these kids and chronic ear infections.  Is there anything I can do to prevent them?  This is like Finn's 5th (if he has one) and all these abx make me nervous!  

It's gorgeous out.  If they feel up to it I'm setting up the pool outside and getting them in the sun!  Vit D can't hurt!

#206 of 409 Old 06-20-2012, 10:05 AM

Kat ~ I meant to answer your question about the crying. Sometimes the only thing we can do is be present for the child. He may need to just get emotions out and that's how he's doing it. He may be trying to get someone's attention. Kellen will cry louder if he thinks we aren't responding fast enough. Empathizing could help if you have any inkling of why he's upset. Just keep in mind that sometimes children will cry even more or louder at first because they feel safer doing so if they think they are really being understood.

We don't live a completely consensual life. I don't think it's possible with young children that adults are legally responsible for. However, keeping the principles of consensual living in mind, I try to take the kids' thoughts, feelings, ideas and perspectives into account as equally as possible. In that vein, no one's vehicle is any more important than anyone else's. To me, the thoughtful, caring thing to do is leave space in the driveway for whomever thinks it's most important to park there. Since I don't really care if my van is in the driveway or on the street, I'll park on the street. I'm not giving anything up so that Ryan and dh can both park there because I don't care. If I cared, the thing to do would be maybe say that either the first person home parks on the street or first come, first serve for the driveway. I think it's also possible for Ryan to park his car behind the van or the truck. The only problem with that is that someone might have to move cars since we have different schedules. That's not a big deal, though, imo.

Anyway, the idea of consensual living is to do just that. Take everyone into account equally and work toward a solution that makes everyone happy. It can sometimes be difficult and may take several tries at different things but it's not impossible. Of course, it's a lot harder when one parent wants to live that way but the other doesn't get it.

Carrie ~ Regular application of garlic ear drops might help clear up and prevent the ear problems. Breastmilk might help, too. Also, keep in mind that was looks like and is called an ear infection is not always a bacterial infection. I read that any time the inside of the ear looks red or swollen or inflamed it's called an ear infection even if there may not be any bacteria present. That's one reason that medical associations now recommend against giving abx right away. Unless the child has a fever and has been sick for over week, I wouldn't think of giving abx. It takes at least a week for the immune system to fully kick in and start fighting an infection fully. Also, treating a fever with acetaminophen or ibuprofen can prolong the illness since the purpose of fever is to kill any invading organism that might be making the body sick with heat.

When I click on that link for the flex pass I just get this thread again. Weird. I looked at that before and am not willing to pay that much, especially for something I don't really want to do. I really do not like amusement/theme parks. Also, I definitely would not do something like that without dh because I am such a baby about that sort of stuff. I need him to take care of me as well as the kids. lol.gif I can get a 3 day pass for Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown for a lot less.

#207 of 409 Old 06-20-2012, 10:13 AM

The flex pass is a bit much....plus its for 7 days. And we aren't going that long so it seems a bit of a waste.

Does the multi-day admission ticket include Jamestowne or is that a seperate pass?  I'm confused by their site.  headscratch.gif

I agree, mw.  I might try garlic oil going forward.  Both kids had high fevers (well, moderate, 102-103.6) for 3-4 days prior to these, so we'll do abx.  Nora's is especially bad, the dr said.  Poor kid.  I knew it had to be bad for her to mention it.

Chris ended up coming with me to the dr.  Thank goodness he was able to!  It would have been difficult.  I don't know how I would do it w/o another lap/set of hands.

JJ - saw you had a rough night.  Just sending out love! love.gif

I'm definitely starting to feel sick myself.  Great.  It's gorgeous out!!  Boo hiss.

#208 of 409 Old 06-20-2012, 10:33 AM

Let me look into the tickets again. I can't remember if I was looking at the Timeshare site, the Williamsburg site or some other discount site. I also keep meaning to check with the military ITT to see what deals they have. What site are you looking at?

Dr. Sears says that a fever even as high as 107, or maybe it's just under 107, is not dangerous and not always necessary for medical attention/treatment. You need to look at behavior more than the number of the thermometer. Check out his site for a list of concerning behaviors. Lethargy is one and he does a good job of explaining the difference between true lethargy and the normal tiredness that comes with illness. Kellen had a fever very close to, if not at, 104 for 2 or 3 days when we were at my mom's. I didn't give him anything because he didn't want it. I didn't take him to the doctor, either. The fever went away after a few days but he was still mildly sick for at least a week after.

Go outside if you can just to sit and soak up some sun, make some vitamin D! All you need is 15 minutes.

#209 of 409 Old 06-20-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:

Go outside if you can just to sit and soak up some sun, make some vitamin D! All you need is 15 minutes.

That's exactly what we are going to do!

Yes, I agree with you on watching the child rather than the fever.  Anything under 103 I didn't medicate.  Once Nora hit 103.6, her lids were droopy and she was crying and her skin hurt to touch.  A dose of Motrin brought it right down and she was up playing about 45 min later.  To me that's worth it.  

Again, you have to just use your own judgement, b/c one child's normal isn't another childs.

Finn is also teething so I knew his fever + teething was making him ridiculously frustrated and uncomfortable.  Once his got to 102 I did give him motrin.

I was looking at the plain williamsburg site, under ticket info.

#210 of 409 Old 06-20-2012, 10:49 AM

I think this is where I was looking before for ticket prices. http://www.colonialwilliamsburg.com/plan/tickets/ticket-options/

I'm a little confused by the Bounce Ticket. I'm not sure if that's for only one day or more. I can't imagine being expected to do Williamsburg, Busch Gardens and Water Country all in one day. I thought there was something that covered 3 days but I can't find it now. Maybe it expired. I think I'd be most interested in the Historic Triangle Ticket.

The Williamsburg website says military get a 10% discount. If that's all, then I think the online price might be cheaper.

Tags
Baby , Baby Food , Taking Charge Of Your Fertility The Definitive Guide To Natural Birth Control Pregnancy Achievement , Taking Charge Of Your Fertility 10th Anniversary Edition The Definitive Guide To Natural Birth Contr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page