How do you deal with whining? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-19-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whining is truly my achilles tendon. I cannot cope! I shut down and resort to meanness. I must make it stop at all costs. Nails on the chalkboard to the Nth degree.

I am keeping my sister's children for the summer, and two of them (7 and 8 years old) whine endlessly. I am at my wit's end. What have you done successfully to eliminate whining?
#2 of 6 Old 06-19-2012, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I found that whining was used for 2 purposes - to get attention and to wear me down until they got what they wanted. 

It takes consistency and forebearance, but I found it best to manage by refusing to reward whining and wheedling. I used to tell my children that I couldn't understand them when they spoke in that tone. They had to use a pleasant tone of voice for whatever they asked. I tried to be reasonable in my answers, but if they disagreed or weren't satisfied, whining wasn't going to get a different answer. They needed to provide me with good reasons to change my mind. Continuing to whine wouldn't get them a different result. 

If the whining was simply from fatigue, hunger, or general unhappiness, I found that it was better to ignore the whining and deal with those underlying causes.  

cyclamen, laohaire and grumpybear like this.
#3 of 6 Old 06-21-2012, 01:34 PM

Agree with ollyoxenfree. I say I don't understand what they are saying. And then they keep whining! UGH! And then I say again I don't understand. And they whine. Sometimes this repeats 4, 5 even 6 times, until they can talk nicely. If it keeps going on, I bark out "NO", at that point I don't give a darn what their issue is. 

We have just instituted a no swearing rule. Maybe this would also work for whining? Hmm, may do this myself. We made a rule because DS was swearing a lot, and then just saying excuse me directly after. Like it was totally ok to swear as long as you add excuse me to the end? No. I discussed many times that I didn't want him to say excuse me, I didn't want him to swear. This did not help.

So - new rules. Anyway, DS gets 20 minutes computer time per weekday (we have always had this rule). What is new is if he swears, for each swear word he gets 2 minutes knocked off his time. What is fun for him is if mom or dad swear, then he gets 2 minutes added to his time. So yesterday DS got 18 minutes, because he swore once. Today he got 20 minutes, because he swore once, but I also swore once, so he ended up even. 

#4 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 06:32 AM

Sometimes when my kids are whining, it's because I've been whining lately and they've picked up on my mood.

Other times what I'm perceiving as "whining" is actually a complaint that one of my children wants to see addressed, and that deserves to be listened to.

If I were to say to my children, "I can't understand you when you speak that way," then I had better be prepared to have them say that same thing back to me, if I "whine" about a mess that needed picking up or whatever.

The best way for me to promote my children speaking to me in a pleasant voice is to speak to my children in a pleasant voice. 

Edited to fix typo.

#5 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, moms.  My default approach matches AllisonR's.  "I don't understand.  Try again in another voice.  I don't understand."  It's just so draining!  I was hoping for a magic cure!  :P

Mostly, whining is their way of expressing dissatisfaction.  Often times, as Luckiestgirl points out, there is a valid complaint in there that I would happily address (so-and-so won't let me have a turn, so-and-so is being mean, etc) but when they come at me whining I have no desire to help.  A good opportunity presented itself today as the four kids were all playing a board game.  I was reading nearby and looking up to watch them play.  I saw the very incident happen that was deemed unfair, and instantly my niece went into whine-mode as she complained to me about it.  I was able to communicate instantly that I knew that she was right and that I wanted to help her, but that the way that she was coming to me was using a voice that makes people not want to help.  I talked to them about strategy (kind of like in a board game) - know what outcome you want to get from the grown-up and then consider what the best plan is for getting that grown-up's help.  I told them that a secret about Auntie is that if you come to me calmly, I will almost always help.  She calmed right down (very out of pattern), and we solved the problem.

For the rest of the day, I was able to refer back to that incident when a reminder was needed, and it was great.  Praying this lasts all summer!!!

#6 of 6 Old 06-23-2012, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I usually just say that her tone of voice is hard on my ears, and to please use her normal speaking voice. Though I have to repeat it a billion times.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page