Nap advice for AP childminder - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-23-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I am a mother to 2 children (DS - 3yrs, DD - 9mths) and have just given up work to be with them full time. I have registered to become a childminder to keep the pennies rolling in and am thrilled to be looking after my best friends son from September. Both her and I are APs and have co-slept, baby worn and Breast fed exclusively. We are both very anti sleep training and so neither of our little ones will put themselves to sleep or nap in a travel cot. In fact my DS wakes the second I hover her over the cot.

So how on earth am I going to get a 1 year old and a 10  month old down to sleep for a nap in the afternoon? My DS will nap quite easily if I BF her to sleep in our bed, or BF her in the sling and transition her into the bed. 

My friends little boy rarely naps and even his mum can't get him to sleep very easily. If she does its by BF and then lying with him I think. Sometimes she can then creep away and leave him on his mattress on the floor.

I have looked all over childminding forums but just get the usual negative crap about parents having ruined their children etc 

ANy advice gratefully received :-) 

Thanks heaps xxx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-24-2012, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Sounds like a nap for the one year old is not in the picture, especially if you are not wet nursing him/her. I'd plan more on what to do with him to keep him happy and quiet while your little one sleeps.

#3 of 5 Old 06-25-2012, 07:01 AM

Is your friend's son content in a stroller? Both of my girls loved to look around and eventually nap in the stroller. You could put your dd in the sling and push him in the stroller if he likes it. That was the only way my girls would happily sleep without me. Oh, and wanted to add that he may be completely different for you.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#4 of 5 Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 AM

He might nap differently for you. I watched a baby for a few months when my oldest was a toddler. Somehow, someway, I got them both to nap lol. I forget exactly how, 7 years later, but some combination of nursing for my son, and either before or after rocking, holding, patting the back of the baby worked. I think it'll be possible to get them both to nap, it just might take time to figure out the best way. 

mom to jumpers.gif crazy boys
#5 of 5 Old 06-25-2012, 10:31 AM

I read No Cry Nap Solution which is VERY co sleeping and breastfeeding friendly and supportive. There's a chapter on how to get the co slept baby to nap independantly during the day. I found it very helpful.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page