Help me figure out ds's 5th bday party! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-23-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Levi turns 5 in July, but we are having his party a bit early.    Its going to be located in a kids science lab, and a science teacher (Mr. Science) is providing entertainment.  He is like Bill Nye the Science guy only better!  He did Levi's bday last year too.

I need to figure out food, the cake, and goodie bags.   Last year I did mystery color sidewalk chalk paint and that was a lot of fun!  

Levi wants a Guiness Book of World Records Theme.    I have no clue what to do with that!   What shape cake should I make, and what should I do for goodie bags?   I always do something unique/homeade, I don't want to do plastic junk/candy/pencils, etc.   But I have no idea what would god with his theme!  

For food, I was thinking of just having some fruit/veg to snack on, its a 2 hour party and not at a meal time, so I think that should work.

No idea on decor either, we won't need much for that though, just to decorate the food table.   I have purple plates/table cloth left over from last year to use. 

Ideas please? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-24-2012, 07:38 AM

Not totally homemade, but still kinda interesting - I know party stores have simple 'plain' mini-trophies.  You could jazz those up somehow for ds's friends (might find some way to fit that into the 'world records' theme).  OR selectively print a few of his favorite records that you could select a few favors that pair with them (ie. most gummy worms eaten).

Mad scientist 'glasses' might be cool. . . I dunno, it's a hard theme.  

Tiny 'specimen' jars to collect things into and a mini magnifying glass?

Maybe you can get something going with a few more ideas. . .

#3 of 8 Old 06-24-2012, 02:34 PM

I would probably make the "world's longest cake" (or your city's longest cake) - just cut a sheet cake or 2 into strips, and have it stretch from one end of the table  to another.   For goodie bags, I'd write a record on a sticker and attach it to something related.  So a cookie might have the record for the world's biggest chocolate cookie; a toy car might have the landspeed record on it;  a jump rope to try and beat the longest jump rope record etc. 

#4 of 8 Old 06-24-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen Muise View Post

I would probably make the "world's longest cake" (or your city's longest cake) - just cut a sheet cake or 2 into strips, and have it stretch from one end of the table  to another.   For goodie bags, I'd write a record on a sticker and attach it to something related.  So a cookie might have the record for the world's biggest chocolate cookie; a toy car might have the landspeed record on it;  a jump rope to try and beat the longest jump rope record etc. 

I like this!

#5 of 8 Old 06-24-2012, 04:20 PM

I'd also come up with medals and certificates, maybe have a talent contest (warn kids on the invitation so they have an idea of something they can do) - everyone could be the world's best something.   Could do a multiple choice quiz  - how many bees did xxx have on their face to win the world record bee beard? etc.  Decor could be gold medal themed. hang red white and blue streamers from gold balloons with #1 written on them to mimic medals.  Wrap a vase in tinfoil to look like a trophy and serve punch or fruit out of it, and use as a centrepiece.  Goodie bags could also have tools to measure things for breaking their own records - a cheap stop watch, a measuring tape,  a journal to log attempts. 

#6 of 8 Old 06-24-2012, 09:10 PM

Love the longest cake idea!

In lieu of goody bags, you could make mini Books of World Records to send them home with. Pages could have ideas like highest tree climber, longest rope jumper, etc, and a place to record their family's winners.
#7 of 8 Old 07-01-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE!!!

Check out how our party went here:

http://thelittlesewingshop.blogspot.com/2012/07/guinness-book-of-world-records-5th-bday.html

It ended up being a lot of fun!

#8 of 8 Old 07-04-2012, 10:45 AM

Wow, that really looks great! It must have been a lot of fun for everyone!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page