Is Magic Mike ok for 11 yo girl?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-01-2012, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my x took my daughter to see magic mike then had her lie to me that she didn't go to the movies but that secret came out when she started throwing up the popcorn from the movies.

Why would a mother take a 11 year old girl to see that movie? I haven't seen it but heard its completely inappropriate for her.

What can I legally do to stop her horrible mother?

I desperately want to save my daughter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-01-2012, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Are you sure that is the movie that they saw?

I think in most states you can place a petition in asking for certain guidelines to be added to the custody agreeement. Perhaps you need an agreement about appropriate media.

#3 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 01:26 AM

I have no idea what the overall circumstances are, OP. But, in general, while I think Magic Mike is totally inappropriate for an 11 year old girl, I suspect it's much less damaging than being caught between parents in a situation where we have "agoodDAD" and "her horrible mother".

If there are really serious problems with your ex, then you need to do your best through the courts. If you simply disagree on a lot of things, stop framing this as "her horrible mother" and learn to work with it as well as you can. That woman is half your daughter's genetic identity, and you calling her "horrible" isn't helping anything.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#4 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 08:33 AM

WOW.  I'd be pretty angry at my ex if my children were exposed to that move-- it's rated R, and is about male strippers and partying.  Geez.  What bad judgement on the part of your ex.  

I have no idea what you can do about it, though.  Do you have an attorney-- maybe she or he can advise you on how to ensure your ex pays attention to movie ratings (and TV ratings).  

Also, if I were you, I would read the reviews of the movie, going to kidsinmind.com, which gives a play-by-play of movies with kids in mind, and discuss the themes and what your concerns are about them.  Since it's already happened, you should probably use this as an opportunity to discuss your values and your hopes for your dd as she matures.

#5 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 09:12 AM

At the end of the day, the court is likely to consider this a parenting difference. I took my oldest to an R rated film wen he was 11. He'd just readMhomer's Iliad, and Troy came out. No big deal, IMO. Would I take an 11you daughter to see Magic Mike? No. But... a court would be unlikely to tell me I couldn't.

#6 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 07:53 PM

Heads up friends, with only one post under the belt... I'd consider the OP a possible troll.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page