July 2012 Rockstar Mamas - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 293 Old 07-20-2012, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yeah, I am getting my payback in spades with the whole "my baby sleeps through the night" thing lol.gif

All my kids went through this "toddler waking up for an hour or two in the middle of the night" thing, but I was hoping she would just skip it since she was such an amazeballs sleeper. Oh well, "this too shall pass"

Yep - Arianna has been running away from diaper changes for a LOOOOOONG time. She did hate getting dressed, but recently she thinks it is a hoot to put on clothes and then go run and show everyone how "pretty" she is love.gif Oh, and she also does the whole "wipe herself" thing! To cute!

There was a mass shooting at a movie theater about 45 min from me. 12 dead (so far) and 38 injured. So sad. I am sooooooooooooooo freaking tired of my area making national headlines. Sheesh. 

I have to go to a wedding reception tonight with my DH for someone he works with. Should be interesting. I am not going to the wedding (they are Mormon) so just the reception. I need to clarify if I need to dress up. Not feeling up to it. I'm super bummed about this shooting...............I'm just waiting for the "the brother of this person was killed, etc. etc." to come pouring in. I am just hoping I don't personally know anyone. 

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 293 Old 07-20-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

I caught a poop in the toilet this morning! joy.gif I have a baby potty that has a removable seat that I can attach to the toilet. The problem is that when he sits on it his penis sticks out so, if he peed, it would go all over me or all over the floor, not in the potty or toilet. I got it because it said it had a shield made for boys. Ha! Does not work! Maybe I should go ahead and splurge on one of those standing urinals.
i guess D is on the short and chubby side. i don't really know what averages are. he's about 22 lbs. and 29+ inches long. where do you look for used ones, the babywearer?

Oh that's right, I remember you saying that! Hmm. I wonder how young is too young to teach him to point his penis down? I guess it's probably hard when they're this young because they like to use their hands to hold themselves up as well. 

Do you have a local babywearing group at all? I don't remember. We have quite a few that come up in there, especially if you post "I'm looking for a ---" people always come out of the woodwork saying "Oh, I couldn't decide if I wanted to sell, but know that I know there's a buyer..."  Other than that- yes all the places Kat mentioend!

Size wise-- All I know is that for 6.5 months, Ten was 17lbs and 25", and was 80th and 90th percentile... so To me, I would think he's keeping in about that range, maybe a little bit higher for weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post

Yeah, I am getting my payback in spades with the whole "my baby sleeps through the night" thing lol.gif

All my kids went through this "toddler waking up for an hour or two in the middle of the night" thing, but I was hoping she would just skip it since she was such an amazeballs sleeper. Oh well, "this too shall pass"

Yep - Arianna has been running away from diaper changes for a LOOOOOONG time. She did hate getting dressed, but recently she thinks it is a hoot to put on clothes and then go run and show everyone how "pretty" she is love.gif Oh, and she also does the whole "wipe herself" thing! To cute!

There was a mass shooting at a movie theater about 45 min from me. 12 dead (so far) and 38 injured. So sad. I am sooooooooooooooo freaking tired of my area making national headlines. Sheesh. 

I have to go to a wedding reception tonight with my DH for someone he works with. Should be interesting. I am not going to the wedding (they are Mormon) so just the reception. I need to clarify if I need to dress up. Not feeling up to it. I'm super bummed about this shooting...............I'm just waiting for the "the brother of this person was killed, etc. etc." to come pouring in. I am just hoping I don't personally know anyone. 

Awww Annie! That sucks. It's probably harder too when you're used to getting the sleep. At least I've deprived my body so 3 hours at a time seems like days! 

:( I saw a few posts about the shooting on FB but haven't had a chance to go look up an article. When will this end? Isn't it enough already?   Hopefully you will get through without knowing anybody, even friend of a friend. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#183 of 293 Old 07-21-2012, 05:12 AM

I was born in colorado and still have family there - it's so sad to read of things like this. And the biggest WTF that came out of it in our local news  was an opinion piece on whether or not you should bring babies to movies (bc there was a 3 month old injured) - I mean, seriously, local news, of all things, THAT is your take away???

On a similiar news front - took the kids to their first movie at the local drive in. Ice Age. Gabe really liked it. Norah . . . well, it started past her bedtime anyway, and she is one of those unfortunate children who is particular about where she sleeps. She finally fell asleep on the way home. The nice thing about a drive in, is that I could walk around with her and her crankiness didn't really seem to bother anyone.

Then, on the way home, poor Gabe pukes, twice, in his sleep. His appetite has been zero really lately, he drinks alot, but hasn't wanted to really eat much. Has loose stools, but otherwise is pretty content, doesn't seem to be bothered.  He seems ok this morning, went straight for my glass of water to drink, and is eating some dry cereal now. And asked for a shirt to put on, I think he was cold.

I love our local babywearing group. LOVE.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#184 of 293 Old 07-21-2012, 05:27 AM

Oh no, I hope he isn't coming down with a bug!  Hopefully it's already passed!

Fun on the movie!  How was it?  I love those Ice Age movies.  

candle.gif for all the families involved in the shooting.  Its so tragic.  

AFM - going to be babysitting my friends daughter today.  She's just shy of 2.  Should be interesting to have another little one running around with us all day!  Chris will be home but I don't think he's planning on being involved unless I need his help.

The only thing I'm a little irked about is I asked him to tidy up his office and clean his crap off the stairs and he hasn't done it yet, and he went out for a run this morning.  I have enough picking up to do other than that and I'm mad it won't get done.

Don't ask me why I'm worried about a little bit of clutter when this friends house is the one I was telling you guys about.  dizzy.gif

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#185 of 293 Old 07-21-2012, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

No local babywearing group. One mama in my homeschool groups has (had) an Ergo but now that she needs it for her new baby she can't find it! She's very upset. A friend of hers is lending her a Beco but I think that would be too small for us. Those are supposedly better for really little babies.

I love Drive-Ins. We used to sneak into the Drive-In when I was a teenager. Fun times!

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#186 of 293 Old 07-21-2012, 07:00 AM

It was cute - and my parents were with us too, so lots of hands for the kids.

He seems ok this morning, but like I said, he has acted normal really all week. He's eating, or asking to eat, which is good. bananas, cereal, granola bars. so we'll see. I don't think he's contagious at all, bc no one else has showed any symptoms all week.

enh. clutter, it's fine. But tell him, beware if the littles get into it. He can't be upset about it if he leaves it out to be destroyed. I wish I had a car big enough for more carseats now, I could help out friends more often.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#187 of 293 Old 07-21-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Then, on the way home, poor Gabe pukes, twice, in his sleep. His appetite has been zero really lately, he drinks alot, but hasn't wanted to really eat much. Has loose stools, but otherwise is pretty content, doesn't seem to be bothered.  He seems ok this morning, went straight for my glass of water to drink, and is eating some dry cereal now. And asked for a shirt to put on, I think he was cold.

I love our local babywearing group. LOVE.

Poor guy! :( That doesn't sound fun!

And yes!! So love our group. I was able to try on someone's hotsling yesterday, determined my size, and then was able to go pick up a $10 almost new one in my size. Yay!   AND they demonstrated the Boba in the infant position!! I totally forgot it could even DO that, and was stuck on the idea that it's recommended from 15lb +   Now I'm like heck! That is such a point in its favor to buy one, because when we were talking before with DH, I said that was the problem, is that you would have to have another carrier for the baby stage anyways. But now-- you don't!  

Like it matters... lol. I now have a homemade ring sling (that isn't very good), a Moby, a Boba wrap, a BabyHawk, and a Hotsling. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

The only thing I'm a little irked about is I asked him to tidy up his office and clean his crap off the stairs and he hasn't done it yet, and he went out for a run this morning.  I have enough picking up to do other than that and I'm mad it won't get done.

Don't ask me why I'm worried about a little bit of clutter when this friends house is the one I was telling you guys about.  dizzy.gif

LOL I totally get it though! It almost makes you more nervous though because you don't want to become anything like that! lol

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#188 of 293 Old 07-22-2012, 06:40 AM

Babysitting yesterday was a trip!  My head was literally spinning having one extra child here.  My goodness.  She was very well behaved, I'd just forgotten how go-go-go a 2 year old is and how busy they keep you!  

And now I'm 110% certain I'm done having kids.  2 is perfect.  I think for me 3 would be chaos and a lot of guilt not being able to have enough 1:1 time.  How do you mamas do it!?

I brought up the vasectomy thing again with him today and he was still a little apprehensive b/c of the side effects.

Alysia - did your DH go and get it yet or did you not sign the papers?

Going to go out shopping just Nora and I today for a bit.  Trying to make a concerted effort to give her significant one on one mama time, hoping it helps with her general clinginess.  It seems to be helping a lot!  And I enjoy the time!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#189 of 293 Old 07-22-2012, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I brought up the vasectomy thing again with him today and he was still a little apprehensive b/c of the side effects.
Alysia - did your DH go and get it yet or did you not sign the papers?

No, he didn't do it. We decided to stick with condoms as needed for now. He never even brought any papers home for me to sign. He said he's fine with condoms but thought I didn't like them. I don't, really, but I'll deal with them rather than him having a vas. It just really freaks me out.

DH was getting a little taste of what it's like to take care of all the kids this weekend. He's been making a more concerted effort to do for them when he's home (maybe because of that workshop we went to?). Yesterday morning he said, "Come on, guys, I just want a cup of coffee." lol.gif Welcome to my world!

Have fun shopping. I still haven't made it to the organic market after stating on FB that I was going to go. Guess I'm not that motivated.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#190 of 293 Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:

Member List:
lyeterae ~ Baby boy born February 2011
annie ~ Baby girl born April 7, 2011
Barefootscientist ~ Baby boy born May 30, 2011
AnnieA (due 7/18) ~ Baby girl born July 17, 2011
MarineWife (due 7/30) ~ Baby boy born July 25, 2011
Baby_Cakes (due 8/16) ~ Baby boy born August 16, 2011
MovingMomma (due 8/9) ~ Baby girl born August 18, 2011
akind1 (due 9/28) ~ Baby girl born October 11, 2011
mom2one (due 10/23) ~ Baby boy born October 21, 2011
jeninejessica (due 12/01) ~ Baby girl born November 29, 2011
Kindermama (due 1/6) ~ Baby boy born January 1, 2012
June: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1355087/june-rockstar-formerly-whatevering-mamas-2012

They have one years old now. So sweet :D

Living is great but being a MOM is even better

#191 of 293 Old 07-23-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudMoMmy2634 View Post

They have one years old now. So sweet orngbiggrin.gif

Yep, and we've been with each other for years now. It's been a lot of fun! grouphug.gif

Dylan finally started doing the, "mmm" sound when he eats that the rest of you have said your babies were doing. We finally discovered something he does not like, pecan pie. He didn't ask for a second bite of that. lol.gif

Not much else going on. I'm already trying to plan for the Marine Corps Birthday Ball. We can't skip this year because it's dh's ball. Because of his position, he's in charge of the whole thing for his unit, which has something like 800 people in it. Ethan says he wants to go. That will be fun. He wants a tux. So cute. Kellen said it sounds boring so he'll be hanging with Dylan and whoever we get to babysit. It's going to be in Wilmington, an hour and a half away, so we'll have to get one or two hotel rooms and have whoever is staying with the little boys there. I've asked Ryan if he and his girlfriend would go if we got them their own room. The other option is to ask my mom to come down. I don't know anyone else. I need to lose at least 10 lbs. I gained some weight when I was at my mom's.

#192 of 293 Old 07-23-2012, 06:51 AM

I love going to the MC ball. And Wilmington! mom and dad have said that the few they have had "away" have been some of the best ones. The worst is when they cram the whole 2nd FSSG (I hope I'm remembering my acronyms right) in the Field House. That sucks. I went to that one, and man. It was NO fun.  I hope everyone that goes enjoys it.

The only opportunity on the horizon to really dress up is a wedding in December. I'll be like 6? 7? months pregnant, so that will be fun dress shopping.

My girl can eat! At MIL's yesterday, she tore through 2 chocolate donuts (they fell apart, but I"m sure some got in her), 3 bananas, 90% of which did get in her, some lasagna, and 1/2 a baby ice cream cone. And puffs. That was just the afternoon/dinner.

Gabe seems to be doing better, thank goodness. I am trying to work on potty training, but I'm just not motivated enough.

I am not sure at what point in time DH will get a vas. Maybe once the baby is born? I don't want to postpone too long afterwards, otherwise . . . well.

As for dealing with 3. I don't know yet. I really need to work on DS being less clingy and wanting to be held so much. Because I just can't. And I really won't be able to in a few months.

JJ: my stash includes: 1 wrap conversion ring sling, 2 SSC (a jetpack and a kinderpack, which I will likely sell the KP, bc I need a smaller size, and I am kind of wondering if I should buy "up" and do a toddler one, so it fits Gabe and will fit Norah . . . .) a size 2 wrap, 2 size 5 wraps, and a size 7 wrap. And in all likely hood, I will be buying another, special "squish" wrap once I know for sure whether this baby is a boy or a girl. Probably something with silk. Also, I probably will be converting the size 2 wrap into a ring sling . . . shorties just have very little use for me.

#193 of 293 Old 07-23-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:

As for dealing with 3. I don't know yet. I really need to work on DS being less clingy and wanting to be held so much. Because I just can't. And I really won't be able to in a few months.

JJ: my stash includes: 1 wrap conversion ring sling, 2 SSC (a jetpack and a kinderpack, which I will likely sell the KP, bc I need a smaller size, and I am kind of wondering if I should buy "up" and do a toddler one, so it fits Gabe and will fit Norah . . . .) a size 2 wrap, 2 size 5 wraps, and a size 7 wrap. And in all likely hood, I will be buying another, special "squish" wrap once I know for sure whether this baby is a boy or a girl. Probably something with silk. Also, I probably will be converting the size 2 wrap into a ring sling . . . shorties just have very little use for me.

Lordy that's a nice collection!!  

This is me just not wanting to do math, but how old with G and N be when the new baby is born?

Yesterday was a horrendous day.  I had a couple meltdowns of my own and realized I need to stop putting so much pressure on myself.  It's better to not get caught up in doing things 100% right or try to make everything a "teaching moment".  I need to get back to where I was a few months ago when I had faith that things would just work out.  A good nights sleep and I feel much clearer about everything.  I'm hoping I can find some strength to see it thru.

AFM - finally a week with little to no plans!!  Chris is going to Canada wednesday night, flying out around 7, and he'll be back Friday night.  Not sure when yet.  Late, though, b/c he was talking about getting a car service home from the airport.  I think I did make plans to go to Ikea on Thursday with a friend another friend of hers, with all the kids.  Should be fun!

ETA - I meant to say, MW, that party sounds fun.  I can't wait to see a pic of E in a tux!
I hear you too on the gaining weight.  I have put on 2-3 lbs and am feeling it!  Ugh.  I really want to get it off before Finn's bday party at least.  I think it's doable.  But my bigger goal is to shed 8-10 to finally be at my goal weight.  Hopefully by the fall!

ETA again - Right now Finn's fave thing to do is climb UP slides.  He's GOOD at it and FAST.  We were at the park yesterday and he just zipped up a handful of times!  But - he doesn't turn around and slide down.  He just keeps crawling!  And at our park that means a 5' drop straight down so it kept giving me heart attack and I had to stay close!  LOL!

#194 of 293 Old 07-23-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

I have no idea what FSSG is but I wouldn't know if you got it wrong because I don't know the acronyms. We've never had a ball at the Field House, thank goodness. We've been to one in Wilmington, one in Atlantic Beach and one in Greenville.

Oh, this is funny. DH's unit has been having a lot of babies lately with more to come. One guy that he works with said if you count back, conceptions occurred over the Ball month. He told everyone that it's coming up on that month again so people need to start making long term financial plans. lol.gif What's funny for us is that I conceived Dylan sometime between November 4 and 6, 2010. DH's ball that year was on the 4th and we dtd that night (although, I don't remember dtd at all redface.gif). lol.gif

I'm going to go for a walk now. I've been meaning to start walking for like 2 weeks now but kept forgetting. I finally asked DH to send me a text reminder. If anyone else would like to help me remember by sending me an email or a FB message in the mornings, I'd appreciate it.

#195 of 293 Old 07-23-2012, 11:21 AM

I think, IIRC, 2nd FSSG is pretty much anybody on base - the commandant of camp lejeune goes to it. The smaller unit ones are way more fun.

How funny, about ball babies!

When the new baby is born, Gabe will be 3 years and 4 months, give or take a few days (depending on when the baby is born) and Norah will be 17 months, again, est.

DH and I are working hard on establishing a better bond between him and Gabe - giving them lots of one-on-one time, because I so really need the break.

I do want to potty train Gabe soon. I know he will likely regress and have some accidents after the baby is born, but I just can't handle 3 in diapers. That's too much. (especially given that Gabe is at an age where he can and could be Potty trained)

Carrie - man, that would give me a heart attack!

#196 of 293 Old 07-23-2012, 05:13 PM

DH and I keep saying that one year, we are going to plan to go to a ball but it always slips up on us and we are too late to get tickets. Maybe one year.

I had an epiphany the other day. I'm in no way shape or form ready for another little one any time soon. I realized this as I navigated around piles of clean clothes attempting to get DD to sleep for at least a few minutes before I needed to wake her up to put her in the car to leave for the babysitter. If/when we have another, I really need to be able to stay at home. Of course if another one showed up, I'd survive, but right now I wouldn't actively choose to create another baby.

AFM, big kids are home for the week and DD is loving it. I left her home with them today instead of taking her to the babysitter. She was napping for part of it so it worked out well. We did her 1 yr WBV on Friday. She was 16 lbs 11 oz and 27 inches long. We did one shot and she was miserable all weekend. Still not great appetite-wise. I'm having a harder time justifying any shots at this point. I'll probably just end up delaying the rest until we decide if she's going to public school and then catch up as needed.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#197 of 293 Old 07-23-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Annie ~ The Marine Corps Birthday Ball? It's always in November. Tickets usually go on sale in September. Mark it on your calendar. You should be able to get some this year (although I don't know if you'd want to go this year since you have a baby now).

Also, you know, you can get a vaccine waiver for school. You don't need to worry about previously vaxing. You can change your religious convictions and stop at any time for the purposes of a waiver.

#198 of 293 Old 07-23-2012, 08:17 PM

So this may seem silly to you but it feels wrong to me to lie and say I have a religious conviction against vaccines when I don't. And in VA, that's the only exemption IIRC.

I know it's always in November but somehow it's suddenly the middle of October and we haven't planned at all. What we really need to do is find one that some of his other buddies from when he was in are going to. The one here is mostly officers and DH was enlisted. He still has some friends that are in and stationed at Lejeune. We should just come down there!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#199 of 293 Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 PM

I wish I had a ball or such to get all fancied up for. I know most people hate wedding season, but since DH and I don't have a lot of close friends, we don't actually go to a lot of weddings. I kind of wish we did! 

Birthday was fantastic. On Saturday we went out to the lake and went on the boat, went for a bit of a ride, Ten napped, and then we anchored and went swimming. She didn't even blink when we put the life jacket on her, which blows my mind. I expected her to hate it!  And so I got in the water, DH passed her to me, and I popped her down beside me, and voila that was it. She freaking loved it. Kicked around in her life jacket, floated around on her back for a bit, tasted some lake water and just had a blast. And then we put her in her floaty and she thought that was even better. I want to go out ALL the time now. I can't believe how much fun she had. My father's gf took some pictures, and said she'd post on FB. Can't wait!  Then we went back to the site, had dinner and campfire hot dogs, and headed home. 

My actual birthday... lol. I asked for a "mama's day off" where DH brought her to me only for feeding and diaper changes (he can't do the snaps with his hand still). I took the day to have a nice bubble bath, and sleep in (until 10am!!!  though 1.5 hours of that was actually T's morning nap), and read my book a bit, but also got a bunch of cleaning done uninterrupted. Sounds silly, but I was so excited to do that!  Anyways, I still ended up taking care of Tenley for probably... 1/3- 1/2 of the day, but DH "had her" the other time. Even though I had her that much (whereas on an average day, he has her for maybe... 1/10 of the time), by the end of the day he was still like "ok ok !! I get it. You are super woman! How the heck do you DO this?"  SO worth it, and exactly what I wanted from the day. That was really moreso my 'present' than getting to spend the day "alone". I want him to see what it's like to be the one responsible for her all day. And even so, she was getting fussy in the early evening, and he was like "What do you want!!!?!?!" And I had to look at him and go "You realized, you've been watching her all day, but you haven't actually -played- with her once?" And you could see him get sheepish and go "oh..." And then went and played with her on the floor for a bit. 

So HAH! It's not all easy to fun and games to take care of her all day! She's hard work! 

Today I got it back in spades though. She is soooo hardcore teething (at least I think that's what it is, hope she isn't getting sick), and she's in need of constant constant attention right now, and I was having one of those days where I was sooo touched out. I kept trying to just nurse her for a bit so I could have some quiet, but she wouldn't even have that. It took an hour and 15 minutes to get her down for her morning nap. Thankfully by bedtime she was so exhausted from whining all evening that she conked out pretty easy. And I'm jinxing this, but she's been sleeping soundly now for an hour and 15 minutes (usually at night we only get 40 minute stretches or so for the first 2 hours). 

Ok, on another note... DH and I started tlaking about taking a shopping trip down to the states again around Septemberish. And I was like "Hmm, I should go through all the clothes we have for her, so I know what/if anything we need."  I've started getting bummed out because I want to go buy things for her-- but we have so much from hand me downs, etc, that I feel like I shouldn't. Anyways-- so between stuff she's grown out of that I was keeping for "the next baby" and decided to let go (still kept a bunch...), and things that we had for her to grow into, I managed to fill an entire garbage bag of clothes to sell/giveaway. I -still- have too much of 12M and 18M, and probably even 2T stuff to justify buying any more! 

So I'm going to sell what I have set aside right now, which in total is close to two garbage bags full. That will probably take a few weeks, and by then she will have grown out of a little bit more, (and grown into some of the other stuff), and maybe I'll have a better idea of what's going to fit at the right time, and then I'll pare down even more. It seems like such a silly conundrum, having TOO MUCH clothes, but it makes me sad! I am -so- frugal, so wanting to buy stuff, but knowing that I don't need anything, is so hard.  

On the plus side-- in the stuff that I didn't think would fit her for several months (ie in the winter, so wrong season, or -maybe- next spring), I found 4 more super cute summer dresses that I just added into her closet. She's got about 7-8 summer dresses now. I had to pare down more of her "boring" onesies and stuff, to ensure she'll actually get a chance to wear all her cute outfits and dresses. Otherwise I try to "save them" for special days, and then she just never wears them! lol

*sigh* ok, end my OCD rant now. 

Carrie-- all those newbie pictures of Finn have me just shaking my head. It's CRAZY to imagine that he's gone from that to the big boy he is now, in less than a year. Mind. Blown. 

Annie-- I'm sorry her shots are going so poorly!! What a decision that must be. I totally understand your reasons for wanting to get them, so I know how hard that must be to see her react, and now not want to give them. I'm very thankful Ten didn't react to hers, since I used to get pretty sick after mine. 

MW-- You keep on my tail, I'll keep on yours!!

#200 of 293 Old 07-23-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

So this may seem silly to you but it feels wrong to me to lie and say I have a religious conviction against vaccines when I don't. And in VA, that's the only exemption IIRC.

Jumping in here to wonder if the fact that fetal cells are used to be good enough to be a religious exemption? I know we are both Catholic, and I use philosophical exemption at the moment, but I personally would go underground before giving my kids any vaccinations bag.gif. My kids safety and health are # 1 priority and I will lie, steal, and cheat. I would find a way to ease my conscience into a religious exemption....... but that is obviously just me lol.gif

Arianna is still sleeping like crap - and I am exhausted!!!!!! Ugh. 

Oh, and I just enrolled J in kindergarten.............WTH is happening to time!?!

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#201 of 293 Old 07-23-2012, 10:15 PM

One of my friends from high school (ie we haven't talked in 10 years), is due with her first baby in September. She pinned a crapload of "after baby" type checklists tonight, and I'm just going through them for nostalgia. And then I came to this one:

http://www.thedatingdivas.com/kiirsten/after-the-baby/

I want to vomit!! It's all about things like "dress up sexy for your man" and "make sure you go to bed at the same time, even though you're exhausted". This is for the first SIX WEEKS pp. I definitely was not worried about dressing sexy, or going out on a date, or laying out my husbands pjs!! More like... remembering to eat -something- every day, and trying to get off the couch without mentally cursing. 

SHHHHH!!!!! Tenley is growing up fast enough as it is already! I don't want to even THINK about her being old enough for kindergarden!

#202 of 293 Old 07-24-2012, 05:08 AM

I'm so glad you had a good birthday, JJ!  It sounds like him realizing how much you do really made your bday special.  LOL.  I know that feeling of satisfaction!!  I'm sure I wished you a happy one already, but if I didn't happy belated bday!!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwoten View Post

Carrie-- all those newbie pictures of Finn have me just shaking my head. It's CRAZY to imagine that he's gone from that to the big boy he is now, in less than a year. Mind. Blown. 

Annie-- I'm sorry her shots are going so poorly!! What a decision that must be. I totally understand your reasons for wanting to get them, so I know how hard that must be to see her react, and now not want to give them. I'm very thankful Ten didn't react to hers, since I used to get pretty sick after mine. 

MW-- You keep on my tail, I'll keep on yours!!

Oh I know!!!  It's amazing and bittersweet!!  I am glad I took so many freaking pictures bc I really have forgotten a lot of how he looked and felt and the cute clothes he wore.  I have an idea for a neat before/after picture that I'm going to be working on for a few weeks.  I hope it comes out.  I'm going to be tinkering in photoshop and Im still a novice! 

So - Finn did have one vax reaction and the nurses I talk to at the office didn't know what to tell me.  I wanted to know if they thought I should discontinue the series or do it separately by itself.  I do believe in vaccines and that they work, so if it makes more sense to do it one more time, I would.  But idk.  Something in my mind is making me hesitant.  I want to speak to an actual dr about it.  So.  I need to either call up and get a consult or make an appt with a dr for his next one.  

re: exercise - I took Finn out in the stroller yesterday and almost did the 5k.  I got to 2.5 miles and then walked the rest.  I know if i didin't have the stroller with me (25lb stroller plus 28 lb baby) I could have finished!  It was also almost 100 degrees out, and very humid, but I have to squeeze in a workout somehow and if that means I push him, it means I push him!  I hope you BOTH have nice long walks today! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post

Arianna is still sleeping like crap - and I am exhausted!!!!!! Ugh. 

Oh, and I just enrolled J in kindergarten.............WTH is happening to time!?!

Word!  We had a week or two of glorious sleeping thru the night!  It was AH-MAZE-ING!!!  And now these past two nights haven't been god-awful but ... 

He went down at 930.

Woke at 3:47

Woke at 4:20

Woke at 6 babbling and I thought he was up for the day, but did nurse back down.

Woke at 730 for the day.

YAWN.  I'll take a huge cup of coffee please!!

And yes - kindy.  Oh man it's tough isn't it?  We are in a pickle here b/c Nora is starting the 4 year old class in september.  Since her bday is October, she will still only be 3.  So, we are planning to move, so this won't necessarily be the case, but after the school year, the next year would be kindy, but she will miss the cut off date.  I'm torn whether to put her in kindy as a 4 year old, or do one more year of preschool.  
I know she is book smart enough, but I worry about her socially.  She is still a little young in that area.  She's incredibly introverted and that isn't something she will grow out of.  But with age comes a grain of maturity and I'm hoping/wondering if an extra year will help give her more self esteem and confidence to not worry about feeling left out or being teased or missing mommy.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwoten View Post

One of my friends from high school (ie we haven't talked in 10 years), is due with her first baby in September. She pinned a crapload of "after baby" type checklists tonight, and I'm just going through them for nostalgia. And then I came to this one:

http://www.thedatingdivas.com/kiirsten/after-the-baby/

I want to vomit!! It's all about things like "dress up sexy for your man" and "make sure you go to bed at the same time, even though you're exhausted". This is for the first SIX WEEKS pp. I definitely was not worried about dressing sexy, or going out on a date, or laying out my husbands pjs!! More like... remembering to eat -something- every day, and trying to get off the couch without mentally cursing. 

Um, ok that website is a little weird.  I don't like how its making it the newly postpartum mothers job to worry about ANYTHING besides her baby and herself.  SHE should be the one being dressed up for and attended to!  Yuck to that website!  Yuck to any man who isn't mature enough to take care of himself and not get bent out of shape in those first few weeks!  

#203 of 293 Old 07-24-2012, 05:43 AM

What was the vax and what was his reaction if you don't mind sharing? DH says DD being sick for a day or so is ok so she doesn't get more sick. But seriously, do you know anyone that's gotten diptheria? I've always thought it best to be the oldest in the class instead of the youngest, especially K-2 when a lot of stuff is physical.

#204 of 293 Old 07-24-2012, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

:Annie ~ You should come down for our Ball. It's on the 15th. Tickets are $60 per person and they say childcare will be provided. I don't know the details on that, yet, so I don't know if anyone can use it or only ADMs and their families. winky.gif
Quote:

I think it depends on how you define religion and a religious belief. Religion is the belief in a higher power. It doesn't have to be a god or deity. If I believe in the natural order of things and that nature is more in control that I am and I believe that it's better for my children to be naturally exposed to diseases (if they are going to be exposed at all) so their bodies can build natural defenses against them and I believe that vaccinating my children goes against that natural order, then I can honestly say that it is against my religious belief to vaccinate my children. I don't think that religious beliefs are any different than a personal philosophy or conviction so interchanging those doesn't phase me one bit.

I understand how it can be trickier in your own heart and mind when you subscribe to a specific religious organization. You can have personal religious beliefs that are not included in the beliefs or tenets of your chosen religion. That's one of the wonderful things about this country and it's constitution.

I think that forced vaccination is unconstitutional. The government does not have the right to do anything to my person like that. And, like annie said, I will do anything to protect the health and well-being of my children. If that means lying to the government, I'll do it. But I don't consider it lying because I can easily justify a personal religious belief against vaccination.

There was more I was going to say but I've been interrupted and distracted so many times that I can't remember it all. Maybe it will come back to me at a time when I can post more. Oh, I remember part of it.

JJ ~ Water play is fun. Dylan loves the pool. I haven't had the nerve to take him to the beach with the other boys by myself now that he can really get around. I want to go on a weekend when dh can go but he's been working on that clubhouse. I may have to insist that we go to the beach first and he can work on the clubhouse later. The problem is it's been raining or threatening rain every afternoon so, if he doesn't work on it in the morning, it may not get done.

Carrie ~ I'd wait to put my child in school. But then I might skip kindergarten, anyway. Kindergarten isn't compulsory in many states. Is it in yours?

Dylan has been very fussy lately. I don't know if it's his teeth or what. Those molars have broken through the gums a little but not completely. The ringworm he had is much, much better but I have to keep applying the cream for a total of 4 weeks so I wonder if it's a reaction to that. He's also got some sores on his scrotum that I think are related to the ring worm. In doing a quick google search, I found that it could be a sign of a yeast infection. So, I've started applying the nystatin cream to that, too. We'll see if it gets better. He's sleeping ok, though. Just really fussy and clingy when he's awake.

#205 of 293 Old 07-24-2012, 07:01 AM

Does Nora have enough sense of herself that you could ask her what she'd choose? We intend on homeschooling so it's not really so much an issue for us, and the first couple years will be very unstructured, I think. I don't know that I will go completely the unschooling route, but I don't plan on doing "canned" homeschooling either.

ITA with MW re: religious exemption. I do believe in God, but generally the principle is the same.

Re vaccine reactions . . . see, while I agree that vaccines WORK (to an extent - it's not 100% in any case) I have a very hard time reconciling injecting all the miscellaneous crap that's in vaccines into my healthy children. Now, if we lived somewhere where supposedly VPD (I say supposedly, because vaccinated people do still sometimes come down with VPD's) were far more prevelant, and access to healthcare and treatment for these diseases weren't so readily available, I would consider then the benefits to be worthwhile, given the risks. But, we don't.

So, if a child of mine did react, I would look into perhaps separating them. because often with series injections, if one is missed or delayed, you might have to start over. (I had to with my Heb B vax I got in college). But that's just my 2 cents.

Norah loves the water, but hated the life jacket. oh well.

#206 of 293 Old 07-24-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Here's something to consider with the series of vaccines, too. The reason there are series of vaccines is not because every person needs more than 1 vaccine for his body to make antibodies. Every child is given more than 1 shot of the vaccines because not everyone produces the antibodies the first time. I don't remember the numbers exactly but it's something like 85% of the population will create antibodies from the first shot, another 10% will create antibodies from the 2nd shot and another 2% create antibodies from the 3rd shot. That last 3% will never have antibodies. So, your child may not need more than one shot of any vaccine but it's easier and more profitable to give everyone a series of shots rather than test each person after each shot to see if they have the antibodies or not.

You could always have your child tested for antibodies and forgo any more vaccines for those diseases that he has antibodies. Your insurance company probably won't pay for the tests. You'd probably have t pay out of pocket.

We may have an issue if dh gets overseas orders. I don't know the rules for going overseas when not vaxed. I also don't know that I'd feel comfortable taking my children overseas unvaxed because of the issues Kat brought up. However, I'm not willing to inject them with vaxes just for that purpose. So, either we'd have to be able to get exemptions (which may not work if we are bound by the rules of the other country) and go to a relatively modernized country or dh would have to go unaccompanied.

#207 of 293 Old 07-24-2012, 07:45 AM

He would most likely be sent to Okinawa, no? We had missionary friends over there that didn't vax at all, and their son got everything - chicken pox, measles,  . . . maybe german measles? - one summer. He was a preteen though, and he was kind of miserable, (because he had to miss out on fun summer stuff) but otherwise didn't seem too bad. This is to say, that obviously, there are cases of unvaccinated children over there, but I am not sure what exactly the rules would be regarding bringing unvaxed kids in.

And yes, you can have titers done. I think a blood draw might seem more traumatic for the baby at the time, but at least you might not need to inject more stuff into him.

Depressing: I only got 2 oz at this mornings pump. ugh.

#208 of 293 Old 07-24-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

No, it would not be Okinawa. He's looking at places possibly in the Middle East, Africa and South America. There's one position for German, I think. More than likely, he won't get chosen for any of those but everyone in his rank has to be considered so it is a possibility. I would possibly consider Germany but I have a feeling their rules would be very strict. That country is strict about so many things. Homeschooling is actually illegal in Germany. There's no way I'd take my unvaxed kids to the Middle East, Africa or South America.

Ethan had some blood drawn when he was little and it didn't phase him one bit. There isn't much to a blood draw other than a quick prick, unlike vaxes that can sting, cause pain at the injection site and illness later. To me, that seems like it would be much less traumatic in the long run. Of course, a child who has had shots might be more afraid of getting blood drawn because they associate needles with pain and illness. Since Ethan had no recollection of shots he didn't have any reason to be afraid.

#209 of 293 Old 07-24-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:

What was the vax and what was his reaction if you don't mind sharing? DH says DD being sick for a day or so is ok so she doesn't get more sick. But seriously, do you know anyone that's gotten diptheria? I've always thought it best to be the oldest in the class instead of the youngest, especially K-2 when a lot of stuff is physical.

Ok so, it was his 2nd prevnar.  The first one, no issues, a little red at the injection site,  but it went away within 24 hours and he was fine.

The 2nd time, it was red, hot, hard, and his entire thigh (and he's got big thighs) blew up huge and he was in obvious pain.  He couldn't crawl w/o dragging his leg and crying.  It lasted for 4 whole days after his vaccine, and then started to fade.    

Quote:

Does Nora have enough sense of herself that you could ask her what she'd choose? We intend on homeschooling so it's not really so much an issue for us, and the first couple years will be very unstructured, I think. I don't know that I will go completely the unschooling route, but I don't plan on doing "canned" homeschooling either.

She might by the time it comes up.  Right now we are just going to go ahead with the 4 year old class and see how she does.  At least I do have one more year to really see how she blossoms.

Quote:

Here's something to consider with the series of vaccines, too. The reason there are series of vaccines is not because every person needs more than 1 vaccine for his body to make antibodies. Every child is given more than 1 shot of the vaccines because not everyone produces the antibodies the first time. I don't remember the numbers exactly but it's something like 85% of the population will create antibodies from the first shot, another 10% will create antibodies from the 2nd shot and another 2% create antibodies from the 3rd shot. That last 3% will never have antibodies. So, your child may not need more than one shot of any vaccine but it's easier and more profitable to give everyone a series of shots rather than test each person after each shot to see if they have the antibodies or not.
You could always have your child tested for antibodies and forgo any more vaccines for those diseases that he has antibodies. Your insurance company probably won't pay for the tests. You'd probably have t pay out of pocket.

Hmm, good thinking.  I had thought of that but wasn't clear on if titers would be present or not.

Quote:

Depressing: I only got 2 oz at this mornings pump. ugh.

It's something! 1 oz from each side?

How is your freezer stash?  Is she nursing more at night to make up for it?

Quote:

No, it would not be Okinawa. He's looking at places possibly in the Middle East, Africa and South America. There's one position for German, I think. More than likely, he won't get chosen for any of those but everyone in his rank has to be considered so it is a possibility. I would possibly consider Germany but I have a feeling their rules would be very strict. That country is strict about so many things. Homeschooling is actually illegal in Germany. There's no way I'd take my unvaxed kids to the Middle East, Africa or South America.
Ethan had some blood drawn when he was little and it didn't phase him one bit. There isn't much to a blood draw other than a quick prick, unlike vaxes that can sting, cause pain at the injection site and illness later. To me, that seems like it would be much less traumatic in the long run. Of course, a child who has had shots might be more afraid of getting blood drawn because they associate needles with pain and illness. Since Ethan had no recollection of shots he didn't have any reason to be afraid.

Wow, homeschooling is illegal in Germany?  I didn't know that.

AFM - I'm going nuts with this party planning.  I just bought MORE tattoos, stickers, and goody bag loot.  Sigh.  It's too much fun.

#210 of 293 Old 07-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Since I have an October birthday, I was always the youngest and shortest :) but I was always one of the more advanced, also. So if I had been held back a year, I think that would have been more harmful.  If we were to do a school, I like the Montesorri system. Less age-specific pressure, and it fits in more with what I think is natural, younger kids learning from olders, and olders reinforce what they've learned.

It's hard to say with Gabe, since he will have the issue of likely being the oldest with a November birthday. His physical skills are very good, but he has some catching up to do in the verbal department, and other knowledge things . . . well, we really haven't worked on much.

I don't stress on non-pumping days, because she seems content enough. and yeah, I'm still getting something. I have to remember I can't gauge what I get with the pump as to what she's getting, she's more efficient than any machine. My freezer stash is just about gone, since I've only been making 1/2 of what she needs while I am gone. I need to stress offering more solids while I'm away.

MW: they do accompanied tours in the middle east??? Germany, I know some people that have gone there. I wish we could have, what an awesome experience! I am not sure the outlawed homeschool thing would apply to you, as an American on a military base. There are TONS of homeschoolers in Okinawa. I think easily 1/4-1/2 of the military population over there is homeschooled.

Tags
Parenting , Taking Charge Of Your Fertility 10th Anniversary Edition The Definitive Guide To Natural Birth Contr , Taking Charge Of Your Fertility The Definitive Guide To Natural Birth Control Pregnancy Achievement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page