How would you respond to these kinds of comments? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-07-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I was just reading an article on perfectionism in children and it was talking about the importance of playing up person strengths and downplaying competition. It reminded me of a huge pet peeve of mine that I have about dh's aunt.  Whenever she sees my 6-year-old ds, she always makes some comment like, "I bet you are the best reader in the whole class" or "Are you the smartest kid at school?" or some other thing like that. It really bothers me. Ds never really responds because I'm sure he's not sure how and I have responded at times in various ways, but I'm wondering how you would respond to something like that (if you would at all - maybe it's just me that has issue with it).  

#2 of 4 Old 07-07-2012, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I think saying, "I do MY best" or "He does very well -- he really enjoys XYZ" is enough. It's no one's business, not even family's what the kids' grades are in school. To me, that's like asking someone how much money they earn at their jobs. Who cares? Isn't it more important that they're ENJOYING what they're doing, whatever that is? I'd remind the nosey people that that's where your priorities lie, maybe with a little reminder that the most successful people in the world are those who are happy doing what they do.

Or you can just act like she's obviously not as smart as you thought, and say, "He's the GREATEST at EVERYTHING -- how can you not know that???"

#3 of 4 Old 07-07-2012, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think it's okey to give kids that kind of complement as long as you wont push the kid to do things too much. Make them do what you want in a way that they will enjoy it. :Djoy.gif

Living is great but being a MOM is even better

#4 of 4 Old 07-08-2012, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by callieollie View Post

.... dh's aunt.  Whenever she sees my 6-year-old ds, she always makes some comment like, "I bet you are the best reader in the whole class" or "Are you the smartest kid at school?" .....t I'm wondering how you would respond to something like that

While I agree that the comments are lame and not the most helpful way to speak to a child, if this is a relative that I seldom saw, I would teach my child some appropriate ways to respond and leave it at that. Your DH's aunt has very limited input to how your child turns out -- it's the way you and your DH speak to your son that really make the difference. Your child will have so many people say so many things to them over the years, and most of it just washes away.

My kids are teens, and if I could go back, I wouldn't get so worked up over so many things -- my kids were stronger than I realized and they didn't need every interaction with every adult to be perfect to find their own strength.

You could teach your son to respond with a big smile and saying something like "I do well, and right now I'm really into __________________." And just pivot the conversation to something he wants to talk about.

But make this about helping him find his strength and his voice, not about trying to make the world he lives in perfect. He doesn't need a perfect world.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page