10th Birthday at the Library - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-19-2012, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

hi mamas, esp. librarian mamas...

since dd lives at the library i was thinking of actually having her birthday at the library.

i am sure i can get the community or even the outdoors area to hold the party (maybe 10 kids or so from 8 years old to 16, but its mostly going to be 10 - 12 year olds boys and girls) but i do have to ask.

any of you have any cool ideas of how to organize that party. where to even staert?

not exactly sure what the theme should be - sushi? chef? or maybe even a book clubbish kinda party? even with the wide age range. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-19-2012, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey meemee, my DH is a public librarian.  Have you asked the library yet if this is feasible?  If its a public space (as in run and funded by your locality), I would check first.  There may be certain rules pertaining to food and other activities usually for insurance purposes, etc.  Once you have permission, you can then ascertain what type of activities you can do, how many people can participate, what kind of food you can bring, etc.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#3 of 8 Old 07-19-2012, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

At my library, you can reserve a room, but all events must be open to the public since it is a public building.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#4 of 8 Old 07-19-2012, 03:15 PM

At my library, you wouldn't be allowed. We only allow non-profit groups who are open to the public and a private party wouldn't meet our qualifications. :(

Ideas that would be fun, though, with the librarian's permission- library scavenger hunt, book spine poetry, altered books, making journals. reading/telling ghost stories.

Good luck!

Children's librarian, married to J since 5/12, with 3 cat.gifand 1 crazy dog2.gif. TTC #1, planning on femalesling.GIF, bfinfant.gif, and cd.gif.

#5 of 8 Old 07-19-2012, 03:26 PM

We had a preschool party at our local library (a end of "semester" party with food, games, a performance, a slide show etc) and it did not need to be open to the public so I think it depends on the library.

An awesome idea would be having kids come in costume as characters from a favorite book.  

#6 of 8 Old 07-23-2012, 07:44 AM

You could make it a fundraiser for the library. Ask each child who comes to bring a new hard back book to donate in your dd's name.
#7 of 8 Old 07-23-2012, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
What theme does you're dd want? Ten is a big deal in our family and I have noticed many nine year olds are planning their tenth birthday already so I suggest getting her input first. My dd wants a sleepover at our house for her tenth. It will be her first time having a party at home and she is very eagerly planning for it even though it is still a few months away. It is something I wouldn't have guessed she wanted though if I hadn't asked. I was planning something much more elaborate and am kind of relieved she is set on this idea.
#8 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 07:46 AM

It's a cool idea, but I would definitely check with the library before you start planning too much. Most libraries do have rules about who can use their rooms, and oftentimes those rules are something like it must be a tnon-profit group, open to the public, or they charge for for-profit groups, but it must still be open to the public, the event is placed on their public calendar.    Most libraries also have rule about food and drinks brought in as well.

I have held several LLL meetings or homeschool group meetings at the library,but those events are for non-profit organizations and they were open to the public (well, open to any person who meets the demographic that the meeting is intended for).

If there is a park nearby maybe you could have the party at the park (all food, etc.) but then all go over to the library for just one activity like a scavenger hunt. 

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page