Kid-friendly music website? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-20-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS loves listening to music and he has a 'favorites' list on youtube but lately they have had a lot of inappropriate (and unexpected) ads playing and one in particular today really scared him!

He is only 3 so he really enjoys being able to just click on the pictures of the songs he wants to hear (vs. reading titles, though he might be able to manage this). He likes kid music and adult music too. Are there any kid-friendly ad-free website similar to youtube? I can't afford something I'd have to pay for. He really wants to use the computer independently occasionally, without me supervising and censoring. It doesn't have to have videos, just music (in fact I'd prefer no video).

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#2 of 7 Old 07-20-2012, 03:39 PM

I'm pretty sure you can create kid-music stations on Pandora.  He wouldn't be able to pick songs randomly to listen to doing that - but would get to rate them when he likes/doesn't like them.  I don't think it's ad-free, but I can't recall any ads recently that I felt were inappropriate for my kids (and they're shorter ads than on youtube usually).

I think sesame street had it's own portion of their website just with their songs/videos too - not so comprehensive in terms of music, but safe and there are quite a few fun songs we've enjoyed there. 

#3 of 7 Old 07-28-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post

I'm pretty sure you can create kid-music stations on Pandora.  

That's a good idea! I'm going to steal it.

#4 of 7 Old 07-28-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

OK so we tried Pandora this week and he hates it -- he really likes being able to choose the song he wants, because he likes to hear the same songs over & over (and I mean they have to be EXACTLY the same, same artist, same recording, etc. don't ask me how he can tell different recordings...) So is youtube the only thing like that???

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 7 Old 07-28-2012, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

crunchy i have been looking around for you ever since you posted your thread. 

and unfortunately the only answer i have for you is yes - it seems youtube is the way to go.

i tried going to different sites like putumayo and they do have the kind of thing you are looking for, but its VERY limited. and i dont think they have repeat. 

sounds like your son would really like an mp3 player which i know you cannot afford at this time :) maybe a christmas gift from a fairy?!! one day. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#6 of 7 Old 07-29-2012, 12:22 PM

Do you use/have iTunes? He'd likely be able to listen & re-listen to the same favorites with that, with his own playlist and such, or browse through it, click on stuff he'd want.  You'd just have to put your own music on there (so, drawback to using youtube if you only have some of what he'd really like).    

#7 of 7 Old 07-29-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

DS loves listening to music and he has a 'favorites' list on youtube but lately they have had a lot of inappropriate (and unexpected) ads playing and one in particular today really scared him!
He is only 3 so he really enjoys being able to just click on the pictures of the songs he wants to hear (vs. reading titles, though he might be able to manage this). He likes kid music and adult music too. Are there any kid-friendly ad-free website similar to youtube? I can't afford something I'd have to pay for. He really wants to use the computer independently occasionally, without me supervising and censoring. It doesn't have to have videos, just music (in fact I'd prefer no video).

Spotify. It is free and you can pick your songs. We listen to Spotify all the time, it has practically everything you can think of! Unfortunately, the free version does have ads, and there was an inappropriate ad this week that aired while we were listening to Carolina Gum Drops. The ad was for condoms, and my daughter's follow-up question after hearing it was, "What are condoms, Mom? Why do they need to be lub...luber....lubricated?" yikes2.gif

We used to listen to music at http://www.jitterbug.tv/ all the time, but they now switched it to a paid, subscrition service.

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page