how do you keep them occupied? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, 

would you share your summer schedule with me?

I am going bonkers with my adhd family and am physically exhausted. i think i need to keep them occupied, but don't really know how, any ideas?

i am looking for something like a summer program for at home, ready made because i don't have any creativity left to pull something myself. does anybody know something?

x-posted special needs parenting

Trin with DH , DD(7)  and DS(5) ,  DD(2) ,
I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...
#2 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 05:39 AM

I don't have a summer schedule for my kids, but I take them outside for 3 hours every morning (we go to a park or the beach). I try to take them to a different park every morning and rotate them. I make sure I have water, snacks, towels, sunscreen etc. and a book for me. Then we get back home for lunch and dd's nap. Ds has quiet time (watches TV or plays on the computer). Dd wakes up around 4, we have a snack and the kids go out (they ride their bikes in front of the house or play in the back yard) - I try to stay inside but it's not always possible with the 3 y/o. We have dinner at 6, clean up, bath time then bedtime.

It might sound like a lot of work taking them outside, but it's less exhausting than trying to keep them entertained at home.

HTH

caffix.gif

#3 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your suggestion! I know what you mean, I just would have to find the energy to get them all packed up into the car and actually decide where to go. Which seems like a lot to me at the moment. 

I think I am heading directly into depression at the moment...

#4 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 12:45 AM

Three times a week we go to friends' houses (my kids are not SN, i think you need to cut yourself some slack -parenting neuro typical kids over the summer when school is out and a lot of groups are off is HARD and you have more on your plate!) by public transport.  Other days i walk them to a park or to the nearby "wild" space for exploration and berry picking etc.  At the weekend when DP is around we go swimming or visiting his parents.

I know this isn't a schedule, but i would try, if you can, to get a few hours "off" the children one evening and plan the whole week/longer if you can, so that on a given exhausted morning you can pack up and go on autopilot.  I try to keep myself occupied at least a week ahead of time, that way when i'm having an "i'd rather stay in bed" day with the kids going nuts (my kids are NT but i'm 16weeks pregnant and this third baby i am NOT getting my energy back as i did previously after the first trimester was done!) i just have to get up, get dressed and get everyone out "because x is expecting us" or "because we are going to Y".

Hang in there, you sound exhausted! xxx

#5 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triniity View Post

Thank you for your suggestion! I know what you mean, I just would have to find the energy to get them all packed up into the car and actually decide where to go. Which seems like a lot to me at the moment. 

I think I am heading directly into depression at the moment...

I'm sorry to hear that, Trin! I wish I had other advice, but the only thing that works for me is to take them outside. Do you have a backyard? Send them outside, you can join them with a book, or just sit with them. Is there a field nearby, so that you don't have to drive? Give them a ball and tell them not to bother you. Do the kids have bikes? They can ride their bikes while you could put the baby in a stroller and go for a walk around the block.

It rained today here and we couldn't go outside. My house is a mess, the kitchen is full of dirty dishes, there are toys all over the house, ds and dd are full of energy and I don't know if dd is tired enough for a nap.

I hope other people have more useful advice for you. I hope your day was better than yesterday.

caffix.gif

#6 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 01:33 PM

This is what I do, very similar to Transylvania Mom - my kids are 2 and 5 and very energetic!

We have a rhythm to the day. Breakfast, get dressed, out the house by 9.30ish. I have a list of places to go - splash park, regular park, bike park, farm, library, aquarium, outdoor museum, water slide, etc. Everywhere is either free or we have membership. I bring snacks and water. I have a bag with sunscreen, hats, diapers, etc. Sometimes I pack a picnic lunch but usually we are home back by 12.30. Lunch at home. Rest time from 1-2 for older one. He listens to audio books in his room. Little one sleeps until 3 or 4. When big one gets up we go outside the house. He tries to find neighbours to play with. 5pm come in, make dinner, eat, bed by 7. 

I would just pack a simple bag the night before and plan to leave the house after breakfast. I'm sure you must have nice parks near you.

Also, my 5 year old goes to a very low key drop in camp at the rec centre twice a week. It's cheap and simple and he loves it. Is that an option? 

Oh, another thing, how about water play? I bought a cheap paddling pool and the kids LOVE it. They and their friends can spend hours playing with the water. The sprinkler is also a big hit on a hot day. If you have a big enough yard you could get a slip and slide. So much fun. 

#7 of 11 Old 07-29-2012, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

I am always wondering ... my kids do nothing for "hours".

Quote:
They and their friends can spend hours playing with the water

My two spend like five minutes with the water, get all wet, drip the water everywhere splash it on our pets and destroy a couple of toys while I am breastfeeding, trying to make them "swim" and then they are back indoors.

The same repeats like twice a day, so that they spend maybe half an hour with the pool. the same is true for all the "really fun stuff". We have a huge back yard. With a playground and a swing and a huge sandbox (probably larger than most kid's room) and a slide. They spend around five minutes there.

they just don't want to play outside. Or inside for that matter, they want me to entertain them.

#8 of 11 Old 07-29-2012, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My kids are 2 and 4. On days when I can't handle dealing with them they are told to play in the back yard. The first few times there was crying. I was cheerfully insistent. They don't cry any more and they play for long stretches. Being bored is very good for children. I have ear plugs s I don't get mad at them. Their job is to play. It is not my job to entertain.

Good luck.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#9 of 11 Old 07-29-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

that is a really cool suggestion, I'll get earplugs!

#10 of 11 Old 07-29-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
 Being bored is very good for children. ... Their job is to play. It is not my job to entertain.

Great post. I do the same here, although with my 3 y/o is a work in progress.

caffix.gif

#11 of 11 Old 07-31-2012, 03:23 AM

Hey, I totally agree with you guys! Once the summer holidays start, the big question on mind is how to keep them occupied, so that they don't waste their time watching T.V, or just having fun, and not doing anything productive, creative !! I have a little sister, once she comes to know her holidays are starting, all she wants to do is go to her grandparents house, watch her favorite barbie channels, and just play with her doll house, which is really annoying for me, because it leads to no child development, whereas these are just for fun, so fun activities are important but not that you do everyday the same thing! I make sure, I enroll her for personality development classes, where she can learn some mannerisms, and dining etiquette! We both go for swimming in the club! And then I have got this nice story books ,and DVDS from the ongoing anniversary celebration offer on hushbabies, which I am really looking forward to sit with her in the evenings and enjoy with her! So that when she gets back to her school after her holidays, she remembers everything and don't sigh over that she has forgot something!! And I believe it is not only parents job to entertain, some responsibility we elder brother and sister also have! Share more of your ideas, would love to read them!! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page