August 2012 Rockstar Mamas - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 287 Old 08-30-2012, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

And believe it or not, teething sleep disturbance lasted A LONG time in our house. Now that all of her 1st molars are through, she's miraculously sleeping better. Nothing I did to change it.

Same here. Dylan didn't sleep well for months. Now that he has all 4 molars things seem to be better. He still flips and flops a lot when we first go to bed. Nothing I do settles him faster.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 of 287 Old 08-30-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Someone posted a pic of a baby in a onesie that read, " all mom wanted was a backrub" I LMAO - too cute, but I couldn't put my own baby in it!

Norah is down to just nursing at night, and she wants to nurse all night long the last couple nights. ugh. I hope it passes. I'd be tempted to wean her altogether if I thought it would work - she wont accept DH as a substitue and I got no other tricks up my sleeve.

I joked with DH that we should buy that onesie. That's usually how dtd gets initiated in our house. I ask him to rub my back. lol. 

*hugs* that sucks. It's hard when you're tempted to do something, even -knowing- it probably won't help! Hopefully she gets through this quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I'm so fuzzy on all this.  I know some bm is better than none but idk what i'd do if I didn't have full supply to nurse on demand before age 1.  I think I would offer formula like my low supply mama friends.  I think we talked about this once, and didn't come to any sort of conclusion.  What is so magic about bm/ formula that solid food doesn't offer?  

i'm not judging at all and I think Norah is fine (man is she a good eater!) but Im just sort of putting it out there for discussion I suppose.

And also b/c Finn is back to nursing a ton lately w/ teething and is throwing a lot of food on the floor.  irked.gif

I got a slip from the dr for Finn to do a blood draw to test for anemia and lead.  Idk about it.  WWYD?

Yeah, I don't know what I'd do- formula or donated BM (at this stage- earlier on, I would have definitely found donated milk). But I agree with you Kat, that I'd try to fill up on a ton of healthy solids too, and as long as she was eating those, I'd be less worried. I think the concern is just that the solids a baby is eating before that age (in general population!!) aren't necessarily balanced or healthy. If you -can- ensure they're healthy choices, then less worry. 

Hmm. I -hate- hate hate blood draws, so I'd probably get out of it without a specific cause for concern. Same as above-- if you know he's getting a good balance and his nutrition is pretty good, then I wouldn't go looking for problems that aren't presenting. 

I get what you guys are saying about just accepting things, and that she's normal, etc etc. I -get- that. And I'm in no way saying that these methods are good for everyone, or that babies NEED to be steered towards better sleep. It goes back to what my doctor asks- not how much is she sleeping, but Are you ok with her sleep habits? I was, and was, and was... and now I'm not. Psychologically, I can't keep doing what we've been doing anymore. I can't continue hating my baby, and wanting to hide in the bathroom all day. Point blank. There's just... really no discussion after that, you know? I'm definitely open to tips and suggestions for making it more gentle, but whether her sleep needs to change isn't a maybe anymore, kwim? So even though it's not my first choice, I'm taking steps to do what I know needs to be done. 

Things have been okay today. This morning she fussed/talked for 35 minutes while I rubbed her back, alked to her, etc and picked her up off and on to give her hugs, and then I left the room to go to the bathroom. She cried and fussed, and then after like 3 minutes-- silence. I went in, and yup- she's sleeping! She slept for an hour and 20 minutes, and I didn't have to go in once!  And then we went out and spent some time at the library, came home, and put her back down for a nap, pretty much a repeat of the morning, where she fussed/talked while I rubbed back, etc. Then I came out here to prep dinner, and DH went and sat with her. She talked to herself for a few minutes, and then sleeeeeeeeep! She's been sleeping for about 45 minutes now :)   

I can do this. Small steps. Lots of cuddles during the day, nursing when she needs it, and giving her lots of time to put herself to sleep. I think that's the big thing. She'll fall asleep on her own as long as I give her the time to do so. I just normally get too frustrated that she hasn't fallen asleep yet. But, it's getting quicker, and I can see her cuddling into the bed to try to sleep. It's getting there!

We have a wedding on Sunday, get to get all dressed up and pretty. I can't wait!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#273 of 287 Old 08-30-2012, 06:25 PM

JJ, she may just be a kid that needs her space to go to sleep. Can't say I blame her! Bottom line is you are her mama and you know what's best for her.

OMG, you guys I have to tell you what DD picked up from DH. I've noticed recently that she laughs hysterically when she farts and she kind of does this thing where she waves her hand in front of her face almost like if she were joking that it smelled. Yesterday when she was in the tub, she strained, farted and then laughed like a nut. So I asked DH today if he's been farting in front her, waving his hand in front of his nose and laughing. He could not stop laughing when I asked him. He then admitted that he had. She's copying him! Good grief. I told him he needed to stop and he was like Ummmm, I can't stop farting and I said no, stop drawing attention to it. You don't need to laugh every time you fart. Geez.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#274 of 287 Old 08-31-2012, 05:02 AM

JJ: that was my biggest take a way from No Cry Sleep Solution - listen to your gut, if YOU feel things need to change, and it's not just outside pressure, then something needs to give. Otherwise, ignore the buzz and keep trucking.

DS was that way - sleeps better in his own space. He wiggles and squirms and plays a bit, but the more I interfere with it, the longer it takes him to go to sleep, he NEEDS that in order to sleep. He still wants us to lay with him until he's asleep, and that's ok.  Norah, OTOH, is the opposite, she really needs to be still. wiggling doesn't help her, and she really can't fall asleep on her own unless she's being worn or in a carseat. I need to re-read NCSS, because I need more sleep. I think I am going to try to re-introduce the paci. Much as I hate to, because she's given it up so easily, I just can't be her pacifier all night.

Carrie, why not? haha, if you aren't concerned, then I wouldn't do it. Finn looks perfectly healthy to me!

Bedtime last night took forever. Norah wouldn't settle at all for DH - I was putting Gabe to bed - so I went in there once Gabe was asleep, she's screaming, even though she's tired, and sometimes she will settle for DH. It took until after midnight before she was out, and by then, there was no getting back up for ice cream, or to work on cleaning. oh well. people coming Saturday for a bbq, must clean before then! *yawn* back on the coffee train this morning. I need it.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#275 of 287 Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:

JJ: that was my biggest take a way from No Cry Sleep Solution - listen to your gut, if YOU feel things need to change, and it's not just outside pressure, then something needs to give. Otherwise, ignore the buzz and keep trucking.

DS was that way - sleeps better in his own space. He wiggles and squirms and plays a bit, but the more I interfere with it, the longer it takes him to go to sleep, he NEEDS that in order to sleep. He still wants us to lay with him until he's asleep, and that's ok.  Norah, OTOH, is the opposite, she really needs to be still. wiggling doesn't help her, and she really can't fall asleep on her own unless she's being worn or in a carseat. I need to re-read NCSS, because I need more sleep. I think I am going to try to re-introduce the paci. Much as I hate to, because she's given it up so easily, I just can't be her pacifier all night.

Bedtime last night took forever. Norah wouldn't settle at all for DH - I was putting Gabe to bed - so I went in there once Gabe was asleep, she's screaming, even though she's tired, and sometimes she will settle for DH. It took until after midnight before she was out, and by then, there was no getting back up for ice cream, or to work on cleaning. oh well. people coming Saturday for a bbq, must clean before then! *yawn* back on the coffee train this morning. I need it.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to say. I in no way believe that babies "need" to sleep through the night, or that we're spoiling them by "letting" them wakeup, etc etc etc. There are moms I know who can and do get up every hour, and during the day they still have themselves to give to their families-- and so, no change needed. I just don't seem to be one of those, and if those choice is hate my child and not want to spend time with her during the day, or swallow my pride and do a bit of gentle sleep training... well... we're starting some sleep training! lol 

It is funny how I'm noticing changes in her behavior already. Even in the past 2 days, I've noticed that while she needs me in there to calm down and her relax and comfort her, she won't fall asleep while I'm rubbing her back or touching her. She will get really sleepy, but then won't close her eyes and fully settle until I step back and give her space. Even last night, DH went in to get her once when she woke up around 1030. He snuggled her for a bit, and then brought her out to the living room (always! *sigh* leave her in her room! No wonder she wakes up when she's brought into the bright loud living room). I nursed her, and then was rubbing her back etc-- nothing. So I went back into her room, told her I loved her and I would see her later, and put her down into bed. She rolled over, put her hands up to her head, which is how she falls asleep and then was OUT. DH had the most puzzled look on his face. I think he didn't believe me when I said she's getting better and learning how to go to sleep by herself, and that she falls asleep better on her own in her crib now. 

And the nicest part is that other than my one breakdown moment where she cried for 45 minutes (Which was NOT a sleep training attempt, just a moment of desperation), she hasn't cried for longer than 4 or 5 minutes alone. She's done a lot of fussing, and talking to herself, and definitely some times of tears, but no big kicking, screaming fits, we've almost always been in there with her until the very end, and then given her space to finish falling asleep. I'm feeling very comfortable with how it's going, and I know it would go faster if I just said "Ok, doors closed, you sleep now, no exceptions", but obviously that's not my style, so I'm ok giving it some extra time, and being a gentler process. 

Kat-- We tried to encourage the paci, and she wouldn't have it. She'll play with it and think it's funny, but won't be calmed by it. The pull off method that she talks about in the book seems to work, and that was our first step, with getting Ten to unlatch before falling asleep. I noticed after that started, that she'd let me unlatch during the night and roll over, and she'd fall back asleep rather than screaming for more boob. Little steps, but they make a difference! lol

We went to the library yesterday, and I'm trying to think of a fun 'activity' today. It doesn't necessarily need to be something out, but I'm trying to make sure we do one big 'thing' every day. We'll see. I'll wrack my brain. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#276 of 287 Old 08-31-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

by then, there was no getting back up for ice cream

Love it! lol.gif

I'm feeling blah today. I wonder when dh will get home from work. It's a holiday weekend and they were in the field for 3 days and he had to go back to work last night and still wasn't home at 11:30 pm so maybe he'll get off a little early today.

I feel like I have way too much to do this weekend. The boys have a birthday party to go to Sunday. Ethan doesn't want to go because it's for a girl who's turning 5. Monday is the Improving Birth Rally in Wilmington. I need to make signs for that. We want to take Ryan and his GF out to dinner to celebrate his promotion. That will probably have to happen Sunday or Monday because those are the only days he has off.

I'm exhausted from the homeschool lunch yesterday. I like going to that. We have great conversations, although a lot of times everyone is talking at once. We end up there for several hours and I am just beat and spend the rest of the day feeling like I didn't get any down time.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#277 of 287 Old 08-31-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Carrie, why not? haha, if you aren't concerned, then I wouldn't do it. Finn looks perfectly healthy to me!

Ha I just meant it wasn't worth the risk of getting pg right now.  I may be ambivalent about more kids down the road but I'm definitely NOT ambivalent about more kids right now (like in 9 months).  I'm just not ready or willing yet!!

JJ I have to say I'm impressed she babbles herself to sleep!  Listen to your gut.  You seem to be in a good place mentally so go with it!  

I need more coffee.  caffix.gif

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#278 of 287 Old 08-31-2012, 09:19 AM

I meant about the blood tests, not the unprotected sex, LOL!

JJ: I can do pull off and roll over back to sleep - but it would be nice to stick a paci in there at times when I know she's not hungry, just seeking comfort.  She did take the paci today when I popped her off once she was asleep - she hasn't let me do that in a while.  And she sounds like she's doing really well. My kids both escalate crying when put in the crib, DS would eventually settle down and go to sleep, but he is  a blanket and thumb baby/kid and had a way to calm himself. Norah, just stands and cries. and gets louder, and louder. So, that doesn't work so well for us. She doesn't want to be patted on the back. She wants to be cuddled in the crook of your arm. Very picky child, this one!

She did actually doze off while eating today, and she NEVER falls asleep like that!  (as in eating solids) She and Gabe have been running/crawling in and out of the house all day, playing outside, in the water table, and just got wore out. LOVE IT! need this to happen more often :)

Ah, coffee, there is never enough.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#279 of 287 Old 08-31-2012, 04:46 PM

It's been a ridiculously long time and I've missed of all you! I'm hoping to be able to join in again. 

How the heck do I use the mothering forums on a tablet? I finally have the ability to have easier more frequent access again, but I can't figure out how to comment using the tablet. Any ideas so I can come hang out? :)

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#280 of 287 Old 08-31-2012, 05:54 PM

Yay Lyterae! When I post from my Nook, I have to hit the "Source" button in the top left of the reply box first then touch in the reply area. It turns the reply area green and brings up the keyboard. Took me FOREVER to figure that out. What tablet are you using?

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#281 of 287 Old 08-31-2012, 06:01 PM

Yay Annie! It works! I have an Asus tablet, it has given me so much more freedom and ability to actually be online recreationally again. I love it.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#282 of 287 Old 08-31-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:

My kids both escalate crying when put in the crib, DS would eventually settle down and go to sleep, but he is  a blanket and thumb baby/kid and had a way to calm himself. Norah, just stands and cries. and gets louder, and louder. So, that doesn't work so well for us. She doesn't want to be patted on the back. She wants to be cuddled in the crook of your arm. Very picky child, this one!

She did actually doze off while eating today, and she NEVER falls asleep like that!  (as in eating solids) She and Gabe have been running/crawling in and out of the house all day, playing outside, in the water table, and just got wore out. LOVE IT! need this to happen more often :)

Oh yes, I mean if I just popped her in and walked away, then yes, she'd cry her head off. We take the time to settle her though, and usually stay in the room for 20 minutes or so before we start wandering in and out of the room in a couple minute spurts. I can't imagine doing the whole "Ok, it's bedtime, goodnight!" and just leaving the room for good until they screamed themselves to sleep :(

Yay on the dozing off! Tenley's done it once, and it was such a sight to watch! I love it!

lyterae-- good to see you again!!

#283 of 287 Old 09-01-2012, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, lyterae! I just got a tablet but haven't figured out how to use it yet. I'm so tech unsavvy. I guess you got it figured out, though.

I've been trying to figure out how to get Minecraft working for Ethan on something! He wants an iPod or an XBox 360 so he can play. There's no way that's going to happen anytime soon, poor guy. greensad.gif

Dylan fell asleep once in the highchair. That was funny.

#284 of 287 Old 09-01-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:

I meant about the blood tests, not the unprotected sex, LOL!

biglaugh.gif  Ooops!!  LOL! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyterae View Post

It's been a ridiculously long time and I've missed of all you! I'm hoping to be able to join in again. 

How the heck do I use the mothering forums on a tablet? I finally have the ability to have easier more frequent access again, but I can't figure out how to comment using the tablet. Any ideas so I can come hang out? :)

Heyyy!!  Hi woman!!  Welcome back!

Does tapatalk work on tablets?  That's how I post on my phone.  You just need to buy the app.

News - Finn learned how to go down the small steps in the kitchen (it's like one step down, turn, one step down) and into the breezeway.  It's a blessing and a curse!  It's a mess out there (litter box, construction debris) so now I just need to keep it clean.  But it's a blessing b/c now as long as I keep the basement door shut (that's a biiiiig flight of stairs down to a cement floor - I shudder thinking about a fall down those) I don't have to worry as much about keeping the kitchen gate shut. 

My life just also got 10,000 times easier.  Yesterday I got Finn out of the car and put him on the front lawn.  He crawled across, up the porch steps.  I opened the front door and he crawled into the house.  HA!  I don't need to carry him everywhere anymore!!  Hoooray!!

I did it at the post office too.  I had put him down to let him crawl around while I waited (it wasn't busy and it's a small remote PO box post office) and then once we were done, I just let him crawl out the front door, up the steps to the parking lot, and then picked him up to put him in the car.  LOL.  It must have been a sight, but whatever!

Going out for sushi tonight with the kids and chris.  My friend's birthday so we are celebrating!  My stomach still hasn't been quite right so I'm hoping I can actually eat it.  greensad.gif

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#285 of 287 Old 09-01-2012, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Hey. I'm posting fro my tablet! It's slow but better than the nok. I don't really have anything to say. smile.gif

#286 of 287 Old 09-02-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Hey. I'm posting fro my tablet! It's slow but better than the nok. I don't really have anything to say. smile.gif

biglaugh.gifYou're too funny!

Baby_Cakes, I let Ava crawl around like that in stores. People either think it's funny or they're horrified. irked.gif

I know it won't last forever but the last two nights putting Ava to bed have been SO easy. She just takes her bottle, lays down beside me, maybe crawls around or flops around for a couple of minutes and then snuggles up and goes to sleep. So much better than the marathon wrestling matches we've been having. I wrote down everything I did the past two nights leading up to bedtime so we'll see if DH can replicate it tonight while I'm at work. One big thing I instituted was the TV gets turned off at 5 PM. Even if she wasn't watching it, DH would have it on watching the news or Jeopardy or whatever. I don't know if that has made the biggest difference or not but she's not so wound up when it's time to go to bed

#287 of 287 Old 09-02-2012, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

September thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1362233/september-2012-rockstar-mamas

Tags
Life Will Never Be The Same The Real Moms Postpartum Survival Guide , Green Babies Sage Moms The Ultimate Guide To Raising Your Organic Baby , It Gets Easier And Other Lies We Tell New Mothers A Fun Practical Guide To Becoming A Mom

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page