August 2012 Rockstar Mamas - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 287 Old 08-13-2012, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post

Carrie - how long did it take you to conceive after weaning? I think that would be a more accurate indication of how long it takes you to *usually* conceive. 

3 weeks!  orngbiggrin.gif  I decided to wean her during AF, and that cycle I got pg.  

And we got pg with Nora on the first try.

I'm going to try hard not to worry/overthink things.  Thanks guys.  

MW if it is yeast for real, that nystatin should clear it up.  Finn had a nasty yeast rash in his fat roll and probably 3-4 days later it was gone.  I applied nystatin 1 X per day at night only.  It spread to his diaper area and the same thing, I just did it 1x per day and it lasted a few days.  I did switch to sposies tho, b/c I didn't want the yeast getting on my diapers.

Kat are you really going to try to get N in her own bed?  I think I'd just the baby stay and play it by ear when new baby comes.  I so feel girl for you again!  We shall see!!  What names are you throwing around?  Any yet or is it too soon?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#122 of 287 Old 08-13-2012, 08:40 AM

Popping in quickly to say that A's feet are about six inches heel to toe. 

Also, do you have any idea how hard it is to measure a toddlers foot!?!?! lol.gif

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#123 of 287 Old 08-13-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post

Also, do you have any idea how hard it is to measure a toddlers foot!?!?! lol.gif

lol.gif Yes! You should try trying a pair of socks on a toddler.

See, Carrie, if you got pg the cycle you weaned Nora, then I'd say this is all normal BF stuff for you. I read an interesting article that Shannon posted on FB about ecological breastfeeding and fertility/child spacing. I shared it and tagged you.

I'm doing the Nystatin twice a day. I'm still applying the cream to his back, too, because it says to do it for 4 weeks even if it looks like it clears up. Fungal infections can be sneaky.

annie ~ Kind of strange that you had to give oral abx for a yeast infection. Wouldn't that have the opposite result since many people get yeast infections from taking abx?

Hmmm...come to think of it. Maybe that's how my cat developed ringworm. He was on abx for his neck wound.

On top of everything, I think I've got pink eye again! My eye is all goopy and feels puffy and started to ache yesterday. I'm applying breastmilk again.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#124 of 287 Old 08-13-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

See, Carrie, if you got pg the cycle you weaned Nora, then I'd say this is all normal BF stuff for you. I read an interesting article that Shannon posted on FB about ecological breastfeeding and fertility/child spacing. I shared it and tagged you.
I'm doing the Nystatin twice a day. I'm still applying the cream to his back, too, because it says to do it for 4 weeks even if it looks like it clears up. Fungal infections can be sneaky.
annie ~ Kind of strange that you had to give oral abx for a yeast infection. Wouldn't that have the opposite result since many people get yeast infections from taking abx?
Hmmm...come to think of it. Maybe that's how my cat developed ringworm. He was on abx for his neck wound.
On top of everything, I think I've got pink eye again! My eye is all goopy and feels puffy and started to ache yesterday. I'm applying breastmilk again.

Yes I read it and it makes perfect sense.  I needed to read it.  I fell into the trap too of thinking bf'ing wasn't holding off fertility b/c my cycles did return.  But, like the article goes into, I don't schedule any feedings, and we are def still nursing a million times a day and then some.  So.  Nature's way of making sure my babies are well spaced, I suppose!

Ugh about the pinkeye!  I hate pinkeye.  It's one of those really gross illnesses that just really make you feel horrible!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#125 of 287 Old 08-13-2012, 11:16 AM

I am just one of those sol people then. I don't schedule feedings, but I am not around 24/7 and she was taking a paci.

I would really like to get her in her own bed for at least part of the night. I wish she would STTN, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Zoo was good, I need a nap, but must work instead. Boo

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#126 of 287 Old 08-13-2012, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

I am just one of those sol people then. I don't schedule feedings, but I am not around 24/7 and she was taking a paci.

Yeah, if that's the case, you can't rely on EBF or even LAM, really, as you have so obviously experienced. winky.gif But as the article says, that's why so many people today say that BFing cannot be used as BC. It's because they don't have any experience or knowledge of how it works if you do it completely the way nature intended. Although, you don't have to be around 24/7 the entire time you are BFing.

Oh, did I tell you all that since I found those FB groups for selling diapers, have sold quite a bit of stuff? Woot! But, I spent some on Kellen because Ethan was being mean and wouldn't share a toy so I told Kellen I'd take him to get his own and the rest on yarn co-ops and shipping. So much for more diapers. Hee

I don't know what to do about Ethan. He is so mean to Kellen sometimes. I lost it on him this morning. I saw him grabbing at Kellen and Kellen was really scared, running to me for protection, and I just saw red. Kellen shouldn't be scared in his own home like that. After a few issues, Ethan now seems to be behaving nicer.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#127 of 287 Old 08-13-2012, 01:17 PM

Yes, SOL but it doesn't mean anything.  It's just the way it is.  Just b/c those are the "requirements" for ebf, it doesn't mean b/c they don't apply to you that you are doing anything wrong.  

Personally Idk how I even fit b/c my kid eats a ton of solids, I'm often gone for 4-6 hours (at least weekly) or he goes 5 hours w/o nursing.  He sucked his thumb, took a paci.  

Yay for selling stuff!  I keep buying.  I'm DONE buying dipes for a long time!  I almost think I have too many! 

I hate when Nora bullies Finn, too.  I don't have any advice, b/c I'm in the same boat a lot of the time.  I try to stress being fair all the time so when moments arise, I can pull up what she already knows and understands...but sigh.  It doesn't really always work and I still find myself seeing red a lot, too.

#128 of 287 Old 08-13-2012, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Right, just because it didn't work for you or you aren't able to follow all the "rules" doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong. It just is the way it is.

I guess in your case, Carrie, you shouldn't rely exclusively on EBF because your fertility could return at any time. I'm not sure if the rules for EBF safely extend past a year in general, anyway.

I have to share the type of math problem Ethan just did completely on his own and intuitively because of our recent discussion. He was telling me that a jet can go 30 miles in half a second. (I don't know if that's true but that doesn't matter for this.) Then he asked me how much 60 + 60 was. I said 120. Then he said that it would take a jet 2 seconds to go that far. He did all of that on his own. I didn't ask him to do any math or figure out any problem or even bring up jets or how fast they are or anything. That kind of thing just amazes me. I got straight As in math through college calculus but I couldn't apply it to real life until I was well into my 20s and had had a few years out in the real world actually having to use it but it comes naturally to him, maybe because he's never been pressured to learn it or do it a certain way. shrug.gif

#129 of 287 Old 08-13-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Right, just because it didn't work for you or you aren't able to follow all the "rules" doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong. It just is the way it is.
I guess in your case, Carrie, you shouldn't rely exclusively on EBF because your fertility could return at any time. I'm not sure if the rules for EBF safely extend past a year in general, anyway.
I have to share the type of math problem Ethan just did completely on his own and intuitively because of our recent discussion. He was telling me that a jet can go 30 miles in half a second. (I don't know if that's true but that doesn't matter for this.) Then he asked me how much 60 + 60 was. I said 120. Then he said that it would take a jet 2 seconds to go that far. He did all of that on his own. I didn't ask him to do any math or figure out any problem or even bring up jets or how fast they are or anything. That kind of thing just amazes me. I got straight As in math through college calculus but I couldn't apply it to real life until I was well into my 20s and had had a few years out in the real world actually having to use it but it comes naturally to him, maybe because he's never been pressured to learn it or do it a certain way. shrug.gif

That's so awesome MW! I love how kids' brains work. Especially when grownups don't go in and muck it up!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#130 of 287 Old 08-13-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:

O boy no I would NEVER rely on it!  Ha!  We use condoms every time and aren't taking ANY chances!!  LOL!

That is amazing.  Smart boy!  You're right that it's totally cool he could do that w/o even realizing what he was doing.

#131 of 287 Old 08-14-2012, 04:16 AM

That is really cool!

I have given alot of thought to this - and I can obviously see how some kids learn perfectly well on their own, I am still not convinced that its the best way for every child to learn - if that makes sense. I will have to wait and see what kind of learners my kids are.

Gabe is counting now, which is awesome. Most of the time he gets it right, up to ten. Between TV and youtube, LOL. We were in bed bath and beyond the other day and he grabbed an armful of fuzzy socks and counted them to DH and I - One, Two, Three, Four. he got a little confused upon repetion, but still neat. And he is getting pretty good with his colors. That is mostly thanks to my mom and m&ms. She has him say the color before he gets one.

Norah, thank goodness, is sleeping better, but I am still tired. a few more weeks, and hopefully the exhaustion will fade a bit.

Names, Carrie, you asked - if it's a boy - he'll be Theodore Lewis or Theodore Edward (and be called Theo or Teddy) I am really leaning towards Lewis, but Edward is a family name on both sides . . . so we'll see.  If the baby is a girl, she'll be Caroline Lily.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#132 of 287 Old 08-14-2012, 05:12 AM

As much as I love when they learn to count, write letters, etc, sometimes the best stuff is what they come up with on their own.  Yesterday driving home Nora was asking about the sun and the moon, and I was explaining why the sun is so bright, and she asked why the moon was bright.  I was explaining that the light was from the sun, and she was adamant, "No, no Mama.  No.  The moon, has little insects inside little doors.  Like fireflies.  And they all light up and that's why the moon is so bright."

Oh, ok Nora.  You got it.  winky.gif

She also tells me a lot about dinosaurs (she's REALLY fascinated with them lately) and loves to tell me dinosaurs were here first, when there were no people.  And she explained astronauts found the Earth and then people came.  After the dinosaurs all died b/c there was no food.  Love it.  Love!

Sigh.  Up too early today.

Kat - love the names.  Traditional!  

I think we're going to try the Bronx Zoo on Thursday (his bday).  I think we'll do a museum when Finn is a bit older and is walking.  We can't easily bring the stroller on the subway and I don't want him crawling around everywhere once we get there if I wear him.  At least the zoo I can bring the stroller.

#133 of 287 Old 08-14-2012, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

The beauty of unschooling is that it doesn't matter what kind of a learner a person is. They will learn what they want to know when they want to know it in the way they want to learn it. Think about a baby learns, your baby. That ability doesn't stop once they turn 5 or 7 and someone decides they should be in school. To fully embrace it, you have to let go of all your preconceived notions and expectations, any ideas you have of what people need to know and when, like counting to 10, knowing colors and the alphabet and reading by a certain age. None of that matters when unschooling because you aren't trying to keep up with someone else's agenda. I never tried to teach Ethan or Kellen the alphabet. I'm pretty sure Kellen couldn't recite the letters in order. That doesn't mean he doesn't recognize the letters when he sees them written. He does. That also doesn't mean he won't learn to read because he already is. It's really amazing.

It's taken me a lot of years to get to the point where I am truly relaxed about all of this. I've been reading about, thinking about or doing unschooling for 9 years. Fears and doubts used to creep in on me. I can say, though, that that has happened in quite a while now. I think it's because I now have a child (Ethan) old enough that I can see how all of this is falling into place.

Carrie ~ I love the things the boys come up with on their own, too. I'm actually not really caught up in them learning math and reading and such. That just seems to be what comes up in convos with others who don't unschool because they are still seeing the world through school-colored glasses.

Interesting that Nora said the astronauts came after the dinosaurs died. There are people who believe the human race on this planet was started by aliens from outer space. Hmm....maybe Nora knows something we don't.

We've been watching Shark Week on the Discovery Channel this week and Ethan is loving it. He's telling me about Megalodon and how the scientists have gotten the model robot wrong. Then the conversation veers into the comparison of sharks and whales, fish and mammals, dinosaurs, birds and reptiles. Ethan then wanted to know about fossil hunting and being a paleontologist and if he could do anything like that as a kid. So, I guess my mission is to find a fossil hunting place for kids. There are some rock quaries around here that have fossil digs open to the public periodically but they are for older kids, teens and adults, not appropriate for younger kids or babies.

#134 of 287 Old 08-14-2012, 06:43 AM

Gabe isn't yet conversational enough to come up with stuff - I can't wait until he is! But then I can - he's my child, after all, and I'm sure I won't be able to get him to shut up LOL

I love the freedom homeschooling provides - I just don't know that I am willing to completely let go of some sort of structure and learning to do unschooling. I know Gabe seems to like being with others and doing things with others as a group  - but he also likes to do things on his own. I know traditional school doesn't provide the kind of flexibility I want to provide - and I think that most kids need. School the way it was when I was growing up was so different from what it is now. So much "teaching the test" and that drives me crazy. I get that funding is driven by test scores, and schools need money, but I don't know that kids are really learning anything.  I am not really caught up in what he should know by when - I honestly have no idea of those markers. I am sure my sister does (she's an early ed teacher after all. Finally got a job as a 2nd grade teacher) I love that you can focus on whatever their interests are, and build around those. Gabe loves dinosaurs too, but I think that's from watching Peppa Pig. He loves George, who loves dinosaurs.

Norah, now, who knows what she will like yet! other than a girl who likes to eat :)

Yeah, the names are traditional. but not super common. I don't think I could convince DH to do something unique :)

Carrie - Finn should love the zoo! we go all the time. (not the bronx zoo, but hey, it's got animals!)

#135 of 287 Old 08-14-2012, 08:01 AM

Yes!  Animals are animals!  We have a really pretty lame "zoo" in the park (I'm sure you've seen the pics of the kids feeding goats...)  and he gets a huge kick out of that, so I'm pretty sure he'll like that better than the museum.

So...Nora and I started putting together goody bags and they are decidedly LAME.  So far, all I have in them is a sheet of stickers, a ring, and a bouncy ball.  What else can I put in them!?  Any ideas?  I wanted to avoid junk food/candy.  Most of the kids are under 3, but there will be 2 4 year old twin boys.

#136 of 287 Old 08-14-2012, 10:05 AM

tatoos? yoyos? bubbles?

Our zoo is ok, but I don't know how it stacks up agains the Denver Zoo or some of the bigger ones. We have a membership, so we go as often as we can to make use of it.

Maybe some organic gummy bears or lollipops?

#137 of 287 Old 08-14-2012, 10:18 AM

OOOOH I have a whole bag of organic lollipops from Easter!

We are doing a tattoo station during the party, so they'll all get tattoos.  If I have extra they can take them home.  I didn't get too many, maybe 30?  So.  They can take those home.

Bubbles are a good idea too!  Oooh I'm glad I asked you guys!  Thanks!

Finn took his first steps today!!  4 steps!  He walked to me and gave me a BIG HUG!  So proud of my boy!! love.gif

#138 of 287 Old 08-14-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Finn took his first steps today!!  4 steps!  He walked to me and gave me a BIG HUG!  So proud of my boy!! love.gif

joy.gif

I'm terrible with goodie bags. I never know what to put in them.

Some people say they unschool everything except a certain subject or two, usually math and reading/writing. Diehard radical unschoolers say unschooling won't work very well if you do that. IDK I I just don't think it's necessary. shrug.gif

The boys are now on a Pokemon card kick so we went to Walmart and got starter game packs and little notebooks to keep the cards in. Ryan loved that when he was around Ethan's age but I was against it. Man, I was so silly back then!

#139 of 287 Old 08-14-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Yay! Go Finn!

akind1, love the names!

I was so tired this morning, I actually sat at the table and cried. I've finally accepted that I can't change Ava's sleep patterns. At this point, just hoping she'll outgrow them at some point.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#140 of 287 Old 08-14-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

I was so tired this morning, I actually sat at the table and cried. I've finally accepted that I can't change Ava's sleep patterns. At this point, just hoping she'll outgrow them at some point.

hug2.gif

She WILL.  Have faith.  Trust her!  Maybe is something developmental going on?  Things are so awful here too, and I hope the walking fixes it.  

#141 of 287 Old 08-14-2012, 05:20 PM

Are your 1 year olds using forks yet?  Finn will use it if I set it up, but isn't loading his own yet.  Nora was by this time.  Thoughts?

#142 of 287 Old 08-14-2012, 05:47 PM

I think that part of the reason why I was so upset and frustrated this morning was because I have been trying to get her on a "schedule" and hoping that would improve her sleep. She did better for a couple of days but as has always been the case with her, a few good days are always followed by a few bad days. I just let it get under my skin this morning. And I was tired. She ate on and off from when I got to bed at 1 AM until she woke for the day at 5 AM. Then I got her down for a nap at 8:30 AM and she slept for a grand total of 30 minutes. That's when I started crying. I was so tired. But I decided to just let it go. I do want DH to keep putting her to bed between 7-8 PM because I think she needs it and she does sleep better for the most part. But I just need to deal with the wake-ups. She's waking for a reason and it's not to piss me off!

Ava uses a fork if I load it for her and a couple of times, she's put stuff on the fork to feed to me but it hasn't been consistent.

#143 of 287 Old 08-14-2012, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, Annie, hug.gif. Hang in there. It will get better eventually.

#144 of 287 Old 08-14-2012, 07:58 PM

Yes, hugs Lauri!! I hope you get a good night tonight!! It really will get better.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

#145 of 287 Old 08-15-2012, 04:50 AM

Hmm.. maybe I jumped the gun on the whole no o'ing thing...

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1966df

Need coffee.  I'll be back. 

#146 of 287 Old 08-15-2012, 05:15 AM

I am not the chart expert MW is, but that looks like O to me. (is this a yay or a boo?)

Annie - I hear you. I am often so tired I could cry. and sometimes I do. I am running on 4-5 hours of broken sleep, and I need, need, need to be getting more.

Norah is sleeping better, I think longer stretches. which means she's not wanting to nurse every hour, its maybe every 2-3. I am seriously considering hanging up the pump at work. It's uncomfortable and inconvienent. and I am only bringing home 2 oz a day, because I'm only pumping once. My second pump would normally fall within an hour or less of being home, and I don't want to drain what Norah's going to want to nurse as soon as I get home anyway.

Pokemon cards . . . eh. if they are your kids' thing, I guess. I just have never understood the point of them. (other than to just buy more) But I am sure there are people out there that do not understand a wrap obsession either! LOL

See, if there were a subject I think would need some direction, I would say it would be science. (you at the very least need some supervision with that stuff - labs and experiments, etc) Reading/writing . . . maybe at the high school level, when it comes to research, quoting, using sources, etc. My sister was homeschooled until 10th grade - I think it's just something the homeschool curricula didn't focus on -, and then the high school she went to sucked, and she never really learned how to do that stuff properly. It was a bit of a struggle for her in college.

Math, if you are into it, can be learned independently - even the higher stuff, though I think having text books help. while adding, subtracting, etc are part of everyday life, graphing quadratic equations, doing geometry proofs, and stuff like that I don't know you 'd find anywhere else. I think it also helps to have someone to ask questions to, and to work through problems with.

But before then? I do think it helps to have some groundwork in proper punctuation use, because even as an avid reader, I can admit that it's difficult to pick that stuff up just from reading. Diagraming sentences is something I never understood the point of, even if I kind of enjoyed it.

I am trying to figure out what the kids need for fall clothes. Gabe needs jeans. and some hoodies, a light jacket or two. Norah I think just needs clothes. I think she has some sleepers. and a couple outfits we've picked up on clearance here and there.  The new baby I can't shop for yet, because I want to know the gender first!

#147 of 287 Old 08-15-2012, 07:17 AM

O is a good thing I think!  Not like I'm going to use it now, but eventually I might and it's good to know it can happen.  Though -- I still have my doubts that I buy it.  We shall see when AF arrives if it was O or a fluke.  Based off 28 day cycles, she should be here in a week and that's a short LP (which I had while nursing Nora).

Hooray on longer stretches!  2-3 hours is manageable, I think, but then again some days it's really not.  We had a nice night last night.  I could go for a repeat of that.   I don't mind getting up before 7 if he sleeps thru the night! (even with a nursing session thrown in...)

I hate math.  I'm so bad at it.

I think with clothes rules of 3 is good - 3 shirts, 3 bottoms - and then I got Finn the Carters jacket that's the fleece liner that zips into the shell.  That'll last thru fall and pretty much winter as long as he's got long sleeves under it.  He just will need gear if it snows.

#148 of 287 Old 08-15-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, Carrie, that looks like it could be O. I had ewcf yesterday and today, cd18 or 32 depending on where I start counting. I'm not temping but if I get af.gif at a reasonable time, I'll assume I Oed. I don't need to know for sure since I'm not concerned about ever getting pg again but I do need to be cautious since I don't want to get pg.

I've been trying to figure out winter clothes, too. It's hard in warmer states because stuff gets sold out before we even need it. I bought some snow boots for the boys from Zulily. At least Kellen and Dylan shouldn't need much, if any, new stuff. Ethan might need a whole new wardrobe.

Of course kids would need supervision with certain science experiments. Do you think unschooling means no supervision or assistance or facilitation? I'm getting the sense that you envision unschooling as being about leaving the children completely on their own. It's quite the opposite. Unschoolers will tell you that unschooling takes a lot more effort and interaction with your children than any other type of homeschooling.

As far as geometry, graphing quadratic equations, is knowing that necessary? I'm a science major and I have never used that outside of school. Most tens graduate high school with only general math classes. They don't take algebra and geometry. I'm not saying that people shouldn't learn that. I'm just questioning the idea that everyone needs to and that they can't learn it if they want/need to while unschooling.

A local group is having a "Breastfeeding Cafe" get-together today at 11. It's already 10:23. Ethan is still asleep. I sort of want to go but I sort of don't. I probably won't make it.

Oh, Carrie, I was reading this this morning and thought of you and your concerns about Nora not joining in at school or wherever it was. If she's an introvert, this may help you understand her better. http://www.carlkingdom.com/10-myths-about-introverts

#149 of 287 Old 08-15-2012, 07:39 AM

That link, Alysia, is FABULOUS.  Not only am I nodding along in regards to Nora but man, is that ever DH to a TEE!

I mean to tell you guys this but have been busy.  Her teachers have been amazed at her lately coming "out of her shell".  She is initiating play with other kids!  Chatting and being outgoing which is HUGE for her.  Last time I went to pick her up, she was playing magna tiles with another girl who she's been getting friendly with.  We were on our way out and the other girl bent down to buckle her shoe, and Nora went over, kinda hesitated for a sec, and then bent down and gave her a quick hug and said, "Bye!"  Oh man did it ever bring a tear to my eye!!  I tried not to make a huge deal of it but inside i was just beaming!

Other than that yes yes YES to all those things.  Chris so gets labeled as the guy who can't have  a good time comes across rude, etc.  It's just he can't be bothered.  I know who he is at home and he sure can have fun!  Same with Nora.  I know who she is and how fun she can be.  I get sad that all people don't get to see it, but I just need to find a way to be ok with that.  She obviously doesn't care and doesn't think she is missing anything.  She just is who she is (same as DH).

Getting last min stuff today for the party.  I forgot pickles and I need a helium tank.

#150 of 287 Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 AM

Do I think that graphing quadratic equations, etc is necessary? No, not at all. But if your kid is into math and wants to do higher level stuff, then I don't know how else they'd learn it, than through textbooks and problem solving. Geometry proofs are kind of silly, but they do help teach you logic - alot of If, then, statements.

I would hope unschooling requires supervision, and I know you interact with your kids. (alot of "homeschooling" is canned curriculum that a parent serves as proctor for, which I really am not a fan of) - but it does seem as if unschooling means less parent-directed activities - you let the kids lead, which is fine in some aspects, but I think not all. Again, I really think it depends on the child - I have been around some kids that really, really need direction. I know others that thrive in their own space with as little direction as possible. . I am admittedly still really new to the idea of unschooling. I need to read more. When I have some spare time LOL

Man, there is no way I could get by in a rule of 3. We sometimes go through that many clothes in a day! Last winter Gabe had 10-12 pairs of jeans/pants and that seemed like a good number for him. We are doing the Wittlebee  (autoship clothes) for him, which means I really don't need to get shirts, and  there will be some easy pants in there too. But probably not good jeans and maybe one or two pairs of slacks.

With Norah . . . she is such a messy eater! I think I could get by with 5-8 long sleeve, easy rompers and then a similiar number of cute outfits. And then pajamas . . . I do more clothes, because i only really do our laundry once a week or so.

the new baby will be a spring baby which means I can get away with less clothes. gowns, little cute rompers, and t-shirts and onesies for sleeping.

That introvert article is interesting. Gabe seems a lot like that, but IDK yet if it maybe is just typical toddler behavior. He usually clings to me a bit in public until he is ready to run amok. And he is such a follower.

Tags
Life Will Never Be The Same The Real Moms Postpartum Survival Guide , Green Babies Sage Moms The Ultimate Guide To Raising Your Organic Baby , It Gets Easier And Other Lies We Tell New Mothers A Fun Practical Guide To Becoming A Mom

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page