I'm eligible for my "Attachment Parenting Membership Card" but I don't relate to the term - anyone else? How do you handle meeting like minded parents when you resent the label? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 51 Old 08-13-2012, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
 
IdentityCrisisMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,760
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)

Over the years I've found myself at meetings for "Attachment Parenting" (or something along those lines) and I know that I have quite a bit of parenting philosophy with people who label themselves "AP". Trouble is I don't relate to wanting to label myself in that way. I'm starting up with my local AP group and am feeling a bit of a fraud. Not because I don't fit in -- we're pretty AP all the way (in some areas more than average and in some areas less). But I've always hated the label. Anyone else feel the same way? Care to join me and vent a little? 


Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
IdentityCrisisMama is offline  
#2 of 51 Old 08-13-2012, 07:22 PM
 
CatsCradle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know what you mean, ICM.  I love and adore certain practices but it rubs me the wrong way to pigeon-hole myself into a label.  Ultimately I prefer the term "natural living" to best describe what I do, since what I do feels pretty natural!  :)

 

I belong to a big food co-op where a lot of people are really into labels.  Frankly I don't see how the labeling from the AP end is any different than labeling from say, a fashion design approach.  I.e.:  look at me, I wear Coach, I'm in the club.  

 

I recognize that people need to feel a part of something to help them in their journey.  That's cool and if it produces a better result (by my terms...ha!) then go for it.  I do think, though, that ultimately it comes down to choices that are natural and good, etc.  If you need to label yourself, fine, but raising a child is hard and I just don't have the energy to invest in appearances.  If you know what I mean.  


"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
CatsCradle is offline  
#3 of 51 Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 PM
 
ananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hate labels in general...I don't think saying "I'm an attachment parent!" means anything at all. What matters is that you really listen to your intuition, do things that seem to make the most sense for you and your child (which means actually paying attention to your child, not to a book, even though many books are filled with great advice), and I don't like the contest aspect of it all. I'd much rather it was just normal to parent according to nature and your own gut.


Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

ananas is offline  
#4 of 51 Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 PM
 
babymommy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't get it either.

babymommy2 is offline  
#5 of 51 Old 08-14-2012, 04:29 PM
 
Peggy O'Mara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am with you on this! As someone who became a parent before any of these labels, I've had a hard time with the dogma that so many associate with the words Attachment Parenting. I like natural family living or natural parenting or responsive parenting better. Overall, I just don't want the dogma. I found my own way to these parenting ideas or ideals and for me, what's most important is that we find our own way to authentic parenting, not following rules, but following our children. It seems to me that my responding to my children's legitimate needs, I found my way. They taught me.

JoyFilled likes this.
Peggy O'Mara is offline  
#6 of 51 Old 08-14-2012, 06:09 PM
 
rightkindofme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,640
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I dislike it specifically because there is the strong implication that you have to do it "right" or you won't be attached to your kid. Or rather your kid won't be attached to you. I've never been entirely sure, to be honest.

ananas likes this.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

rightkindofme is offline  
#7 of 51 Old 08-15-2012, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
 
IdentityCrisisMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,760
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)

Thanks, ya'll!! I'm not sure exactly what it is for me but my initial feeling is that the label is rather divisive. Or maybe it's that I don't like how it makes what I do seem really counter-culture or something. Or maybe it's a combination of both -- the willingness to separate one's self from the greater culture of motherhood. I mean, I get why a parent may want or need to do that, it's just not my thing and I guess I do question the consequences of that, yk?  I have friends who range really drastically in their parenting methods but we all have way, way more in common than we have lacking. If I were to introduce a label (or dogma - good way of thinking about it PO!), I know a huge wall would go up between us. 


Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
IdentityCrisisMama is offline  
#8 of 51 Old 08-15-2012, 08:55 AM
 
meemee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Norther California
Posts: 12,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

i donot hate labels, but i do dislike them. the reason why i dont hate them is because i can see why we need labels. herd mentality to identify a tribe. 

 

the reason why i dislike labels is because of the 'degrees of separation' - some do it more, some less. plus what exactly AP means to me. it means 'emotional attachment' which i also see in non AP parents. many times i see the AP in parents who dont call themselves AP at all.

 

however in some practical sense i enjoy labels too. right off the bat with strangers i know it means we have something in common. 

 

but having said that i find some other labels are better suited for me as a parent than AP. like consensual living parenting. Or unconditional parenting. or perhaps other styles that i am not aware of. but i cant use CL because many dont really understand this style.  

 

of course all this changes once your children are past the age of 5. once dd started school, the focus shifted to more of a NF thing. 


 treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
meemee is offline  
#9 of 51 Old 08-16-2012, 08:03 AM
 
anj_rn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Land of Spare Oom
Posts: 1,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I definitely feel the same way.  I do not like the labels.  We did what works for our family, not because of a label, but because of how we felt on different issues and what worked for each child.  Our parenting style evolved over the years, and will continue to change.  When asked about it, I say we did _______, because that is what worked best for us.  You have to find what works best for you.


Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
anj_rn is offline  
#10 of 51 Old 08-16-2012, 09:52 AM
 
tanyato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is me all the way. I remember being really young and getting Harry Potter for my birthday - NO ONE had heard of it, the second book wasn't even out yet. Anyways, I read it, loved it. A couple years later, it became HUGELY popular and I immediately lost interest. Even though I really enjoyed the books. I'm sure that's quite normal behavior, but it makes me laugh that I was so adamantly opposed to liking something popular. Fast forward several years and I'm pregnant with my first child. I find a Mothering magazine at he library, read it, loved it. It totally resonated with me. My last month or so of pregnancy I perused this website often and heard the term AP being used. Immediately after DS was born, I could tell that my natural parenting style was fairly AP. BUT, I REFUSE to read Dr. Sears book(s) because I truly wanted to mother the way my heart told me too. Also, I could then feign ignorance if someone questioned me about the way I parent (have you read such and such? Do you follow this method? Etc.). Wouldn't want people to think I'm doing something just because it's popular now would I? Haha. Anyways, I'm rambling...basically what I'm trying to say is that I can relate.
tanyato is offline  
#11 of 51 Old 08-16-2012, 09:54 AM
 
rubidoux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't like it either.  I am not trying to follow someone else's rules or be part of a club.  I would have nursed and co-slept no matter what anyone else was doing.  I thought the idea of a sling/carrier was awesome as soon as I saw one, before I had heard of AP (but my kids are apparently claustrophobic).  I would have been gentle in my discipline.  OTOH, I do appreciate that Dr. Sears and Alfie Cohen and others are out there saying what they're saying.  I would have nursed and coslept and gd'd and such, but I might have felt more lonely in it and I might have caved to pressure (especially about nursing so long) if there were no one else singing the praises of extended bf'ing.  I also think that there are a world full of people out there who believe they have to follow someone's RULES so I'm happy there's an alternative set for them to pick from.  I coslept as a child, myself, so I had a bit of a head start.  But most Americans, I'm afraid, really think that having your child sleep in your bed is something to be avoided at all cost.  Even now, when I bring it up in mixed company, there's always someone who "admits" to it like it's something to be ashamed of.  


Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

rubidoux is offline  
#12 of 51 Old 08-16-2012, 11:26 AM
 
Peggy O'Mara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wonder where these labels really come from. Attachment Parenting started as an organization to teach about the importance of the first three to five years of life. The media picked up the term and is mostly the place where it becomes divisive. We parents use it sometimes to introduce ourselves to others, but it's gotten to be such a charged term. And, I'll bet that most parents are like us and find themselves attracted to these things because they work not because they are popular or cool.

 

And, I'm the same way, I can tend not to like something or to rebel against it once it becomes popular... wild.gif

Peggy O'Mara is offline  
#13 of 51 Old 08-16-2012, 02:07 PM
 
tanyato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

just wanted to add, I agree with rubidoux - i'm certainly glad there are experts out there supporting the way we naturally want to parent and obviously they have great advice in their books. The whole "refuse to read it" thing is just me being weird. 

tanyato is offline  
#14 of 51 Old 08-16-2012, 04:20 PM
 
CatsCradle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyato View Post

just wanted to add, I agree with rubidoux - i'm certainly glad there are experts out there supporting the way we naturally want to parent and obviously they have great advice in their books. The whole "refuse to read it" thing is just me being weird. 

Not weird at all.  I generally don't read self-help books, and that includes parenting books.  I don't need any more advice than I can already handle.  I have to say that the Mothering forums were the best for me, because there were a wide range of opinions and I get more from that than one person's take on an issue.  


"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
CatsCradle is offline  
#15 of 51 Old 08-16-2012, 04:32 PM
 
rightkindofme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,640
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
It's been interesting seeing how opinions have shifted and drifted in the forums over time. I feel like there is a neurosis of the month or some such,

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

rightkindofme is offline  
#16 of 51 Old 08-16-2012, 06:14 PM
 
queenjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent here i guess.

 

I think labels serve a purpose. The building where my sons go to preschool has a parenting group each week....an API (attachment parenting international) group. I *immediately* from that label knew the "flavor" or focus of the group and the types of moms i'd LIKELY find there. When you're a mom looking for a group to meet certain needs of yours, it HELPS to know what you're getting into. While AP might seem maintream now, when my first was a baby (he'll be 16 in October) it wasnt as popular (though by no means rare)....if you're an AP parent, you might not want to sit through several playgroups hearing other moms telling you really mainstream stuff (early solids, or let them cry, or punitive discipline) before finding "your people"...you are more LIKELY to find what you're looking for in a group that has a pretty specific purpose (that is, supporting attachment parenting.) Its kind of like...sure moms of multiples can have friends who only have singletons but the reason they often go to MoMs groups is because they can immediately gel over twin issues with other moms who really KNOW...does that mean every single thing will be in common?? No of course not. But its nice not to have to constantly defend your choices and be surrounded by moms who "get it" and who will support you in what you're trying to do.

 

That being said, of course AP moms can also have a great time with moms who dont necessarily share their ideals. And you wont always get "crap" at regular playgroups. It just depends. It also depends on your area...in some areas a more "natural living" or "mindful parenting" bent is the NORM (for example cry it out or formula feeding or spanking might be rare)...in other places, not so much. A mom might really NEED that support.

 

I get not wanting to label yourself, but i think NOT labeling yourself to prove a point is also kind of silly in a way. How is it any different to say you're into "natural family living" or "mindful parenting"? Those are labels too (or "descriptions" if thats more palatable)...in fact when my oldest was a baby, i would NOT describe myself as NFL...we only cloth diapered briefly, werent really into natural/whole foods, didnt recyle or be really that environmentally aware, etc. I was happy to buy him plastic toys and let him watch tv. And as he got older i didnt feel AP really applied and felt more comfortable with mindful parenting a term used a lot in our Radical Unschooling circles. Now, with my three other kids, i dont feel like any of that, even though i bottlenursed (they were adopted) and coslept etc etc. Parenting can change over time. But if i meet someone and she starts talking about AP i kinda know where she is coming from. Not 100 percent but there is a good chance she wont be shocked at a one yr old nursing or tsk tsk about a toddler in a parents bed.

 

At this point in my life though, i really dont care what other people think of my parenting so meeting parents who share most of my views isnt that important. I have my adoption mom friends i talk to online to help with those issues, and other than that dont really feel the need to commune with other parents or seek support for other parenting issues.

transylvania_mom likes this.

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
queenjane is offline  
#17 of 51 Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 AM
 
EmbraceLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not into the labels either.  I like the term natural parenting too. 

EmbraceLife is offline  
#18 of 51 Old 08-17-2012, 09:30 AM
 
MrsGregory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The 'burbs of Central Texas.
Posts: 1,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have a problem with labels as such; as a previous poster said, labels kind of let you know what "flavor" of folks you're likely to find in a particular group.  But I haven't found a group or label that really applies to me as of yet, and being a "joiner", I worry about this more than I should.  I would prefer to have a niche in which I fit nicely.

 

Maybe that's sad, but it's me.


lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

MrsGregory is offline  
#19 of 51 Old 08-17-2012, 10:21 AM
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
get over it. why are so attached to resenting a label that is ultimately irrelevant to you? i can understand if it was an incorrect label that created confusion about who you are, but you say it fits you. so, why care so much what anyone else calls it?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#20 of 51 Old 08-17-2012, 10:53 AM
 
BubbleMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't like the term "attachment parenting" either.  It's just parenting. 


Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

BubbleMa is offline  
#21 of 51 Old 08-17-2012, 12:39 PM
 
rightkindofme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,640
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

get over it. why are so attached to resenting a label that is ultimately irrelevant to you? i can understand if it was an incorrect label that created confusion about who you are, but you say it fits you. so, why care so much what anyone else calls it?

I don't use the term anymore because when I tried to be involved with local "AP" groups I found that people told me off. They were hostile and judgmental and nasty. It was an incredibly unpleasant experience and these women are in the local home schooling community as well. The joy will never end. I have mental health issues. I deal with it as best I can. I avoid "AP groups" because the people there are far more likely to start grilling me to find out if the food I fed my kid is "good enough". The folks there are far more likely to tell me that they don't want to know me any more if I have a panic attack in public.

 

No thanks.


My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

rightkindofme is offline  
#22 of 51 Old 08-17-2012, 02:02 PM
 
ImogenSkye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gorgeous Mother Earth
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know what you mean. For me, the attachment part has been so natural that it doesn't require effort. BUT it's the letting go that does. I had to learn strategies for relaxing, allowing, opening up, and being in the flow, which I know all falls under the AP umbrella, but for me, being in the NOW, letting go, and breathing ( a lot a lot) characterize my mothering-improvement journey more than anything else.

 

I doubt "Letting Go Parenting" is a better label though, lol. ;)


Wild Woooman & Mummie to my 4 boys (9, 8, 7, 5) and baby girl (2). bellyhair.gifom.gif

ImogenSkye is offline  
#23 of 51 Old 08-17-2012, 03:29 PM
 
queenjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleMa View Post

I don't like the term "attachment parenting" either.  It's just parenting. 

 

I guess. But...i dunno, its interesting to me that so many people are anti-label, when labeling is one good way to find your "tribe"...and we are all here at Mothering presumably because we feel the moms here are more like us than a more mainstream parenting site. AP *isnt* "just parenting" if you live in an area where "just parenting" usually involves lots of non-AP stuff. And that can be hard for moms who really feel they need support in their choices or who just dont want to deal with all that stuff.


Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
queenjane is offline  
#24 of 51 Old 08-17-2012, 03:37 PM
 
queenjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post

I don't use the term anymore because when I tried to be involved with local "AP" groups I found that people told me off. They were hostile and judgmental and nasty. It was an incredibly unpleasant experience and these women are in the local home schooling community as well. The joy will never end. I have mental health issues. I deal with it as best I can. I avoid "AP groups" because the people there are far more likely to start grilling me to find out if the food I fed my kid is "good enough". The folks there are far more likely to tell me that they don't want to know me any more if I have a panic attack in public.

 

No thanks.

 

Thats a major bummer. greensad.gif

 

It sucks when a group uses a label to prop themselves up and have a "holier than thou" (or AP-er than thou) litmus test to put other moms down. A year ago i met two moms i knew from this site in person (i only knew them online before that)...i was so worried i wouldnt be "enough" (would they judge our nutrition? our discipline? etc etc) but it was fine, they really didnt care at all. I was so relieved.

 

Its kind of a balance between maintaining one's values and encouraging others in those values....and being a judgmental *bleep* . I used to belong to an online Radical Unschooling forum and frankly i did NOT want to deal with other moms touting the benefits of worksheets and enforced bedtimes. I could go to a more mainstream HSing forum for that stuff and it gets tiring. And if a mom came to the forum truly wanting help in being more RU, people would help. But if a mom stopped by who wanted to convince the group why RU was wrong, yeah she got challenged, sometimes strongly (and usually ran off saying how mean and judgemental we all were and how RU was just a cult lol.gif )

 

Ultimately i think most parents have more in common than they do differences.


Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
queenjane is offline  
#25 of 51 Old 08-17-2012, 10:00 PM
 
rightkindofme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,640
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjane View Post

Ultimately i think most parents have more in common than they do differences.

This is why I think of myself as a parent and not an AP person. Or whatever awkward language is supposed to go with that.

I don't have more overall in common with other extended tandem nursing moms. They think I am an offensive freak. I come to mdc because there alllllll kinds of people here. Many who do not identify as "AP" and they give level headed advice. Works for me.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

rightkindofme is offline  
#26 of 51 Old 08-18-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Mommel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: down south
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This thread got me thinking... the only reason I don't identify with the AP label is that it conjures up an entire package of parenting tools, not all of which I subscribe to, despite fitting most of the criteria. It makes me uncomfortable to be associated with the parts of the AP picture that I judge as too (fill in your own judgy adjective here)... because I'm afraid I'll be judged as such. That's just me, I guess. The other thing is that I use the AP label to find other like-minded mamas (whether online or in person), but when I refuse to embrace it for myself (and I refuse to do so quite often) I'm denying other mamas the ability to find me. Is that fair? Probably not. I'm an introvert and I don't really want other people to find me anyway, but that's pretty selfish of me as far as I can tell. I think what I'm getting at is that my reticence to label myself an AP parent is based in my own judgment of certain things that come along with the label and my corresponding fear that I'll be judged. When I am able to let go of that judgment, I'll be better able to embrace the label of AP, as imperfect as it is to describe my parenting style... and then I'll be better able to reap the benefits of that label, such as those mentioned by PPs, namely connecting with and being a part of a really decent, supportive, and diverse community. Easier said than done, but I'm working on it.


Moo.

Mommel is offline  
#27 of 51 Old 08-19-2012, 04:26 PM
 
BubbleMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjane View Post

 

I guess. But...i dunno, its interesting to me that so many people are anti-label, when labeling is one good way to find your "tribe"...and we are all here at Mothering presumably because we feel the moms here are more like us than a more mainstream parenting site. AP *isnt* "just parenting" if you live in an area where "just parenting" usually involves lots of non-AP stuff. And that can be hard for moms who really feel they need support in their choices or who just dont want to deal with all that stuff.

 

I see your point.  It's definitely good to have like-minded friends for support.  On the other hand I think it's important not to discount people just because they do things differently.  I have a couple friends that I would never have met if I only hung out with "AP" people.  I don't push my ways on them, and don't push theirs on me.  And sometimes we even learn from each other! 

 

Of course, there are people out there who are very judgey and will hound you and try to get you to see thing their way.  I don't want to be friends with those people.  No matter what their parenting beliefs are.


Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

BubbleMa is offline  
#28 of 51 Old 08-19-2012, 04:40 PM
 
MichelleZB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Agreed! I kind of don't like doing stuff that seems like it should have a (TM) after it! Attachment Parenting (TM).

MichelleZB is offline  
#29 of 51 Old 08-19-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
 
IdentityCrisisMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,760
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

i donot hate labels, but i do dislike them. 

True, true!!  
Originally Posted by anj_rn View Post

I definitely feel the same way.  I do not like the labels.  We did what works for our family, not because of a label, but because of how we felt on different issues and what worked for each child.  Our parenting style evolved over the years, and will continue to change.  When asked about it, I say we did _______, because that is what worked best for us.  You have to find what works best for you.

Yes, I think this may be part of it for me too.  

Originally Posted by tanyato View Post

This is me all the way. I remember being really young and getting Harry Potter for my birthday - NO ONE had heard of it, the second book wasn't even out yet. Anyways, I read it, loved it. A couple years later, it became HUGELY popular and I immediately lost interest. Even though I really enjoyed the books. I'm sure that's quite normal behavior, but it makes me laugh that I was so adamantly opposed to liking something popular. Fast forward several years and I'm pregnant with my first child. I find a Mothering magazine at he library, read it, loved it. It totally resonated with me. My last month or so of pregnancy I perused this website often and heard the term AP being used. Immediately after DS was born, I could tell that my natural parenting style was fairly AP. BUT, I REFUSE to read Dr. Sears book(s) because I truly wanted to mother the way my heart told me too. Also, I could then feign ignorance if someone questioned me about the way I parent (have you read such and such? Do you follow this method? Etc.). Wouldn't want people to think I'm doing something just because it's popular now would I? Haha. Anyways, I'm rambling...basically what I'm trying to say is that I can relate.

Ha, ha, ha!!  I'm actually the opposite of you, Peggy and a few others in this respect. I really like to fit in. Although I feel like "AP" (or whatever we want to call it) is becoming more popular, it's still almost always presented to me as fairly alternative -- and often proudly so. Which is good, I guess...but I don't like to be perceived as this radical person. But like you, I also don't really read Dr. Sears. His books haven't resonated all that well with me. But I do like parenting books quite a lot. I feel like the good ones are a sort of philosophical journey. 

Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Even now, when I bring it up in mixed company, there's always someone who "admits" to it like it's something to be ashamed of.  

YES!!  I'm not sure if I said this upthread or not but this has been very eye opening for me. I feel like many "mainstream" parents are closet "AP"ers. In other words, we're all the same if we could just take away the labels. 

Originally Posted by Peggy O'Mara View Post

I wonder where these labels really come from. Attachment Parenting started as an organization to teach about the importance of the first three to five years of life. The media picked up the term and is mostly the place where it becomes divisive. We parents use it sometimes to introduce ourselves to others, but it's gotten to be such a charged term. And, I'll bet that most parents are like us and find themselves attracted to these things because they work not because they are popular or cool.

I wonder too! I'm going to do a little research on the origin of the term. Agreed that most parents are doing these things because they work, and because they feel right, and because their babies love it. ....and, yea, that there are probably a lot out there doing this things who have never heard of "AP". I actually know quite a few of these parents. :-)  

Originally Posted by queenjane View Post

I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent here i guess.

 

I think labels serve a purpose. The building where my sons go to preschool has a parenting group each week....an API (attachment parenting international) group. I *immediately* from that label knew the "flavor" or focus of the group and the types of moms i'd LIKELY find there. When you're a mom looking for a group to meet certain needs of yours, it HELPS to know what you're getting into. While AP might seem maintream now, when my first was a baby (he'll be 16 in October) it wasnt as popular (though by no means rare)....if you're an AP parent, you might not want to sit through several playgroups hearing other moms telling you really mainstream stuff (early solids, or let them cry, or punitive discipline) before finding "your people"...you are more LIKELY to find what you're looking for in a group that has a pretty specific purpose (that is, supporting attachment parenting.) Its kind of like...sure moms of multiples can have friends who only have singletons but the reason they often go to MoMs groups is because they can immediately gel over twin issues with other moms who really KNOW...does that mean every single thing will be in common?? No of course not. But its nice not to have to constantly defend your choices and be surrounded by moms who "get it" and who will support you in what you're trying to do.

 

That being said, of course AP moms can also have a great time with moms who dont necessarily share their ideals. And you wont always get "crap" at regular playgroups. It just depends. It also depends on your area...in some areas a more "natural living" or "mindful parenting" bent is the NORM (for example cry it out or formula feeding or spanking might be rare)...in other places, not so much. A mom might really NEED that support.

 

I get not wanting to label yourself, but i think NOT labeling yourself to prove a point is also kind of silly in a way. How is it any different to say you're into "natural family living" or "mindful parenting"? Those are labels too (or "descriptions" if thats more palatable)...in fact when my oldest was a baby, i would NOT describe myself as NFL...we only cloth diapered briefly, werent really into natural/whole foods, didnt recyle or be really that environmentally aware, etc. I was happy to buy him plastic toys and let him watch tv. And as he got older i didnt feel AP really applied and felt more comfortable with mindful parenting a term used a lot in our Radical Unschooling circles. Now, with my three other kids, i dont feel like any of that, even though i bottlenursed (they were adopted) and coslept etc etc. Parenting can change over time. But if i meet someone and she starts talking about AP i kinda know where she is coming from. Not 100 percent but there is a good chance she wont be shocked at a one yr old nursing or tsk tsk about a toddler in a parents bed.

 

At this point in my life though, i really dont care what other people think of my parenting so meeting parents who share most of my views isnt that important. I have my adoption mom friends i talk to online to help with those issues, and other than that dont really feel the need to commune with other parents or seek support for other parenting issues.

Yes, all good points. For the record, I didn't post to complain about how others use the term -- it's more about how from time to time I feel I should/could/"need" to use it and I don't like doing it. Because it's not a term I personally love, yk? So, if I were to be inclined to join and "AP" group because I want to find link-minded mamas, I feel a bit of a fraud. 

 

For labels that we personally prefer -- I guess I'm more inclined to use "Unconditional Parenting". Though, I do like Peggy's use of the term "Authentic Parent" (perhaps on another thread). 

Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

I don't have a problem with labels as such; as a previous poster said, labels kind of let you know what "flavor" of folks you're likely to find in a particular group.  But I haven't found a group or label that really applies to me as of yet, and being a "joiner", I worry about this more than I should.  I would prefer to have a niche in which I fit nicely.

 

Maybe that's sad, but it's me.

hug2.gif Me too! More than anything, I find I just migrate to parents that I happen to like - on a personal and instinctual level. From there any parenting differences are fairly easy to sort. 

Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

get over it. why are so attached to resenting a label that is ultimately irrelevant to you? i can understand if it was an incorrect label that created confusion about who you are, but you say it fits you. so, why care so much what anyone else calls it?

Was this for me? You can read above to get a better idea of where I'm coming from...but this is more of a philosophical discussion between mamas...not meant to be a dig on others. Sorry if it came off that way. Peace.gif

Originally Posted by BubbleMa View Post

I don't like the term "attachment parenting" either.  It's just parenting. 

Yes!! 

Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post

I don't use the term anymore because when I tried to be involved with local "AP" groups I found that people told me off. They were hostile and judgmental and nasty. It was an incredibly unpleasant experience and these women are in the local home schooling community as well. The joy will never end. I have mental health issues. I deal with it as best I can. I avoid "AP groups" because the people there are far more likely to start grilling me to find out if the food I fed my kid is "good enough". The folks there are far more likely to tell me that they don't want to know me any more if I have a panic attack in public.

 

No thanks.

irked.gif How those mamas treated you doesn't sound very gentle or "AP" to me. I can totally see why you would feel put off. Maybe that's part of it for me too...  I'm pretty thick skinned and I have a good support network already (but I'm super social and can always fit in a few more mama friends!). But, I don't think "AP" should be about that. If it's a model to live by and raise our kids by, it should be one that is loving and supportive. Hugs to you too mama!! 

Originally Posted by ImogenSkye View Post

I know what you mean. For me, the attachment part has been so natural that it doesn't require effort. BUT it's the letting go that does. I had to learn strategies for relaxing, allowing, opening up, and being in the flow, which I know all falls under the AP umbrella, but for me, being in the NOW, letting go, and breathing ( a lot a lot) characterize my mothering-improvement journey more than anything else.

 

I doubt "Letting Go Parenting" is a better label though, lol. ;)

Ha, ha, ha!!  Though I never could have admitted it a the time, I think what you're describing was me when my first was young. I was HYPER-attached!  I used to feel like the using the sling too much was too unattached because one could go about their day without paying much attention to the baby. How crazy!!  Fast forward a few years and my oldest is in public school and I've not a new LO at home...and it's so much easier the second go round. I can relate, mama!! 

Originally Posted by queenjane View Post

 

I guess. But...i dunno, its interesting to me that so many people are anti-label, when labeling is one good way to find your "tribe"...and we are all here at Mothering presumably because we feel the moms here are more like us than a more mainstream parenting site. AP *isnt* "just parenting" if you live in an area where "just parenting" usually involves lots of non-AP stuff. And that can be hard for moms who really feel they need support in their choices or who just dont want to deal with all that stuff.

Yes, true. 

Originally Posted by queenjane View Post

 

 

Ultimately i think most parents have more in common than they do differences.

love.gif

Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post


This is why I think of myself as a parent and not an AP person. Or whatever awkward language is supposed to go with that.
I don't have more overall in common with other extended tandem nursing moms. They think I am an offensive freak. I come to mdc because there alllllll kinds of people here. Many who do not identify as "AP" and they give level headed advice. Works for me.

Yea, this is a big point for me. I have had couple MDC meet-ups, including a pretty large one in my home. It was super fun but the spectrum of all of us MDC mamas (and pappas) and what all of this means to them was striking. We had a few for whom this meant being super intentional as a family, some for whom it meant living very far outside the cultural norms, some who needed support for a child with special needs, some who wanted to be super child-centric and, yes, some who were fairly dogmatic about what it meant to be "AP". And, I am still IRL friends with a couple of those folks! 

Originally Posted by Mommel View Post

This thread got me thinking... the only reason I don't identify with the AP label is that it conjures up an entire package of parenting tools, not all of which I subscribe to, despite fitting most of the criteria. It makes me uncomfortable to be associated with the parts of the AP picture that I judge as too (fill in your own judgy adjective here)... because I'm afraid I'll be judged as such. That's just me, I guess. The other thing is that I use the AP label to find other like-minded mamas (whether online or in person), but when I refuse to embrace it for myself (and I refuse to do so quite often) I'm denying other mamas the ability to find me. Is that fair? Probably not. I'm an introvert and I don't really want other people to find me anyway, but that's pretty selfish of me as far as I can tell. I think what I'm getting at is that my reticence to label myself an AP parent is based in my own judgment of certain things that come along with the label and my corresponding fear that I'll be judged. When I am able to let go of that judgment, I'll be better able to embrace the label of AP, as imperfect as it is to describe my parenting style... and then I'll be better able to reap the benefits of that label, such as those mentioned by PPs, namely connecting with and being a part of a really decent, supportive, and diverse community. Easier said than done, but I'm working on it.

VERY thought provoking, Mommel!! 

Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post

Agreed! I kind of don't like doing stuff that seems like it should have a (TM) after it! Attachment Parenting (TM).

Ha!!  Another thing to consider, for sure. 


Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
IdentityCrisisMama is offline  
#30 of 51 Old 08-19-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
 
IdentityCrisisMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,760
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleMa View Post

 

I see your point.  It's definitely good to have like-minded friends for support.  On the other hand I think it's important not to discount people just because they do things differently.  I have a couple friends that I would never have met if I only hung out with "AP" people.  I don't push my ways on them, and don't push theirs on me.  And sometimes we even learn from each other! 

 

Of course, there are people out there who are very judgey and will hound you and try to get you to see thing their way.  I don't want to be friends with those people.  No matter what their parenting beliefs are.

:nod 


Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
IdentityCrisisMama is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off