September 2012 Rockstar Mamas - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2012, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Kat have you seen these???  Might be worth the investment one time and then you can buy whatever yogurt you want! 

http://www.snack-girl.com/snack/diy-gogurt/

Poor D!  I didn't realize he was so under the weather too still.  Hopefully he wakes up dry and happier!!

I would LOVE for MIL to watch the kids for even a day so we could knock out projects.  They are so not helpful lately.  I think they are fully enjoying being empty nesters.  I can't really fault them too much -- it isn't their job to be available just to watch our kids.  But it really stings sometimes. I asked if my FIL and BIL could please babysit for an afternoon while my MIL and I attend a baby shower (her family).  They said they "weren't comfortable" and don't know how to "take care of them".  Bullshit.  They just don't want to.  Now I have to skip the shower.

I'm thinking if I say I can't find anyone else, they'll do it.  But now it's almost the principle of it, I don't want to go.  Plus it's an hour away.  If anything does go wrong, it'd be hard for me to get home quick. 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

I try to keep a couple of hard boiled eggs in the fridge at all times. We all need a quick protein boost every once in a while. We go through a LOT of eggs. Which reminds me that I need to text the woman who sells her fresh eggs. I told dh not to buy any at the commissary because I can get them from her for less.

what about plain avocado if she likes guac? then you could just give her a slice or 2 whenever. i don't give my kids avocado because I and my mom are allergic. dh eats it all the time, though.

you'd think that by baby #4 i'd know cold = diarrhea but my brain never made that connection.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 09-26-2012, 12:32 PM

Is the commissary like a grocery store?  I keep thinking dining hall.

Kat - you're so right about moving on from a house.  I've just never moved from a place I've cared about!  I have such mixed feelings!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 09-26-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, the commissary is a grocery store. I have no idea why they call it a commissary. I think it has something to do with way back in the day when everything was traded or they only got rations or something. It's kind of like, you don't say you are at a Marine Corps base. You say you are on board like a ship because they are Marines.

Carrie ~ FWIW, eating fresh, real cage free eggs doesn't harm the animals because hens lay eggs regularly whether there is a male around or they are fertilized. When I asked the woman she said they drop eggs the same way we do. lol.gif

Oh, and when I was talking to the woman milking the cow at Williamsburg, she said they weren't taking any milk away from the calves because they make way more milk than the calves could consume. Not sure if that's true but that's what she said. Made me think of you because I think you once said that you would feel bad about taking milk from the baby animals.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Yes, the commissary is a grocery store. I have no idea why they call it a commissary. I think it has something to do with way back in the day when everything was traded or they only got rations or something. It's kind of like, you don't say you are at a Marine Corps base. You say you are on board like a ship because they are Marines.
Carrie ~ FWIW, eating fresh, real cage free eggs doesn't harm the animals because hens lay eggs regularly whether there is a male around or they are fertilized. When I asked the woman she said they drop eggs the same way we do. lol.gif
Oh, and when I was talking to the woman milking the cow at Williamsburg, she said they weren't taking any milk away from the calves because they make way more milk than the calves could consume. Not sure if that's true but that's what she said. Made me think of you because I think you once said that you would feel bad about taking milk from the baby animals.

Weird!  Gotcha! 

Yup.  But, I still can't quite get my head around why humans need the milk of another species though past infancy/into adulthood.  There are other means to get enough calcium and other nutrients w/o using an animal product.  Our bodies are designed to not break down lactose once we are adults.  I just don't get it.  

And NFN but my bigger problem is with the factory farms who do steal the milk from the mama cows.  They do slaughter them inhumanely.  They do hook them up to rape racks and cause all sorts of trauma to them.  The whole dairy industry is really where my mind is.  The thing with a boycott, which is what veganism really is, is that you just eliminate ALL of it b/c once you really look at what is going it, it just doesn't feel right.  

I always thought if I had my own chickens I would eat the eggs they lay.  But I can't get my head around that either.  Mostly having to buy the chicks.  Something seems so wrong.  I don't like the idea of using animals as a commodity.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:33 PM

I eat it bc it's yummy. LOL. No morals.

I love gettIng fresh things to feed the kids. We just have a hard time eating it while it's still fresh. Ugh.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 09-26-2012, 02:46 PM

Not none!  Just different than mine!  I don't think either of us is wrong.  We are both doing what we think is fine.  To each their own!

Nora is in a fantastic mood today for a change!  We've had a rough few days since Finn took off walking.  Him meeting a milestone = Nora being very ornery and difficult and pushing me to my limits.  Usually beyond my limits.  The past two nights she and I have fought and ended up in tears.  It's hard!!

Old 09-26-2012, 07:15 PM

I think I forgot to tell you guys. Since we've been home from vacation, Ava refuses to sit in the highchair. She wants to sit on the table (geez, this kid has a memory like an elephant!) or she wants to sit in the chair beside me. I didn't think she had even noticed when Finn was doing that but she must have seen him. I've gotten her successfully in the highchair and eating twice. eyesroll.gif

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 09-27-2012, 05:33 AM

Ha!  Finn is a bad influence!  LOL!  Sorry.  If anything it'll get her used to the big chair faster?  Gotta hope, right?

Sleep is back to like poo status.  Up a million times last night and then up for the day at 6.  It was still dark.  Should I try going back to 2 naps??  He usually sleeps 2, maybe 2.5 hours straight for naps.  12 hours total sleep (night + naps).  I just don't know what to do.  It's all a crap shoot.  I can see him being ready for nap today by 11 since he got up so early.  Sigh.  C'mon buddy!  Stop screwing with sleep!!!

Gonna grab more coffee. Got all my fall flavors out -- today is butterscotch and caramel! Heavenly on a chilly, rainy fall morning!

Old 09-27-2012, 05:41 AM

Hmmm, maybe try to do the morning nap a bit earlier? If Ava woke at 6, we'd be headed for a nap around 8. She does 12 hrs at night plus at least 1 nap ranging from 45-70 mins. Sometimes longer or two naps if she wakes before 8 AM. That coffee sounds yummy! I'm awake but Ava is still sleeping. Had to pump. Hopefully she'll stay asleep when I go back to bed. The only hard part about her sitting in the big chair is she likes to move around, stand up, etc and I'm constantly having to catch her from falling. Scares the crap out of me!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 09-27-2012, 05:51 AM

High Chairs: Gabe has only used them very, very briefly. He does at my parents house because it's expected (now he is in a booster seat) But everywhere else? He sits in a lap or a chair by himself, or next to us in a booth. At MIL's he stands on a step stool at the breakfast bar. And he has done so since he has been standing/walking on his own, so about a year. before that it was purely lap most days (when at a table - I can put him in a high chair for breakfast in front of the TV  bad mommy).

Sleep, ugh. Norah sleeps from 9-10 until about 7, with a 2-3 hour nap. She only takes more than that if going somewhere in the car or stroller.And those are brief. And obviously, the overnight sleep has wake ups, last night thankfully fewer than the night before which was HELL.

I have caramel macciato creamer this morning. yum.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 09-27-2012, 09:10 AM

I only stopped using the high chair bc he was in a really picky eating phase, dropping all his food off the tray and it was driving me mad. Chris was away and Nora and i were sitting at her small table eating. I was like, this is dumb. I put him at the small table and he's been eating like a champ ever since. Can you get Ava a small table with chairs to eat at?

Mmm caramel macciato creamer!

He just went down now at 11 for his nap. Let's see how long it is!
I can never get him down before 1030 even if he wakes before 6. Our kids are Def different in that regard. I'm thinking if he naps good now, a car ride later will take the edge off and he might still go to bed by 830 or 9.

My new monitor is coming today!! Good timing bc my audio one bit the dust. It won't hold a change at all anymore.

And my baby hawk! Yay!

Nora looks like a little old lady. She's walking around wearing a Terry bath wrap and house shoes. Lol. I'll take a pic if she will let me.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-27-2012, 10:48 AM

Norah took a brief pre lunch nap. Hoping she goes down again soon.

So far tOday she has eaten 2 bananas, eggs, fruit loops and a quesadilla.

Want a pic of old lady Nora!

Old 09-27-2012, 11:19 AM

Grandma Nora!  Hahaha!

Old 09-27-2012, 11:47 AM

So cute! She just needs Ava's red purse!

Old 09-27-2012, 01:09 PM

LOL - she is a cutie - and got style to boot. Those aren't Grandma shoes!

Norah has had 3 poops today! ack. too much poop.

Gabe has had no pee accidents, but did have a poop accident. *sigh* that's progress right? I seriously want someone to take him for a week and send him back diaper-free.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:05 PM

Yeah I think her christmas present from us is going to be the little table and chairs from IKEA. I originally wanted to get her the wooden kitchen from IKEA but she's still really enjoying the toy kitchen that my sister gave her so maybe the wooden kitchen can be her birthday present. I was able to get her to sit in her highchair at lunch by giving her a regular fork. dizzy.gif I had been giving her a kid fork but apparently that is not ok.

She ended up taking two naps today which was crazy. I think she's still getting over the rest of that bug. DH said that last night she was pointing to the bedroom trying to tell him she was ready to go to bed. lol.gif

Old 09-27-2012, 03:53 PM

Just looked at my chart and realized I'm going to be PMSing hardcore this weekend. And the big kids are home. Mama better stock up on wine tomorrow!

Old 09-27-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Sleep is back to like poo status.  Up a million times last night and then up for the day at 6.  It was still dark.  Should I try going back to 2 naps??  He usually sleeps 2, maybe 2.5 hours straight for naps.  12 hours total sleep (night + naps).  I just don't know what to do.  It's all a crap shoot.  I can see him being ready for nap today by 11 since he got up so early.  Sigh.  C'mon buddy!  Stop screwing with sleep!!!

Would he talk a maybe 30 min nap in the morning, and then a slightly later afternoon nap? I dunno, If I could get Ten to sleep for 2.5 hours for one nap, I'd be hesitant to do anything to disrupt that, so I feel your pain. I -think- around a year, NCSS talks about them needing closer to 14 hours, but how to go about getting that, is a lot harder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

The only hard part about her sitting in the big chair is she likes to move around, stand up, etc and I'm constantly having to catch her from falling. Scares the crap out of me!

Would she sit if she had... guidance? lol I use a swaddling blanket and tie it like a seatbelt around Tenley if she's in a big chair. Then she feels grownup, but can't fall out. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

I have caramel macciato creamer this morning. yum.

nom nom nom. I think I need to go to Starbucks tomorrow. 

Speaking of... I loaned a mama from my babywearing and CD group a couple dipes that I got from my doula work (so they were sent to me free by companies). She gave me a $10 sbux card for it. I was like you odn't have to!! But she wouldn't take it back! I feel bad! 

Quote:

I can never get him down before 1030 even if he wakes before 6. Our kids are Def different in that regard. I'm thinking if he naps good now, a car ride later will take the edge off and he might still go to bed by 830 or 9.

Tenley is the same. Even if she's up at 7am, I can't seem to get her down for her nap until around 1030 or 11. Lately she's pushing it to noon even. But she needs that second nap SO bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

Yeah I think her christmas present from us is going to be the little table and chairs from IKEA. I originally wanted to get her the wooden kitchen from IKEA but she's still really enjoying the toy kitchen that my sister gave her so maybe the wooden kitchen can be her birthday present. I was able to get her to sit in her highchair at lunch by giving her a regular fork. dizzy.gif I had been giving her a kid fork but apparently that is not ok.

That's my plan for Christmas/Birthday-- I want to do one of those repurposed kitchens out of an entertainment unit. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetwoten View Post

Would she sit if she had... guidance? lol I use a swaddling blanket and tie it like a seatbelt around Tenley if she's in a big chair. Then she feels grownup, but can't fall out. 

That's my plan for Christmas/Birthday-- I want to do one of those repurposed kitchens out of an entertainment unit. 

No, Ava has her own ideas about what she should and shouldn't be doing. Not to scare you but Tenley is headed down that path. I'm learning to just follow her lead as much as possible. It scares the bejeezus out of me to hand her a regular sharp fork but that's what she wants to eat with. Gotta let her go, you know?

I had originally looked at making her a little kitchen from a LACK square side table that I saw on Pinterest. But then by the time I priced out everything, it was almost as expensive as just buying the wooden kitchen, especially now that the price has been reduced at the US IKEAs. It's super cute too, I've seen it in person. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49874533/

Old 09-27-2012, 08:31 PM

Yeah, we might end up going that route. I got the idea here:  http://www.younghouselove.com/2012/01/claras-christmas-kitchen/ And I've wanted to make one ever since. There's some pretty extravagant ones on pinterest, and since DH works at Rona, a lot of the little things to make it seem "real" are pretty cheap. But again... we'll see how it actually pans out!

Oh and yes! I read your escapades with Ava and I can just SEE my future!! lol

So, had a 3.5 hour stretch of sleep last night!! This was after almost an hour of screaming, but you know... small victories! That's two longer stretches in the last week and a half or so! But-- both of them have been while in bed with us. So, I mean, still more sleep than if I was getting up every hour with her in crib, but not great. But I mean, we've always said that if she were sleeping substantially better in bed than in her crib, then we would just... figure it out. So if we find that this starts happening regularly, then we'll find some option that works. Which I guess means a new bed, because I still can't figure out the space for the side carred crib. The only thing I thought of was butting my side of the bed up against the wall. I'm wondering if that would help. 

Ok, I went and dug up photos. So, same view obviously, looking in from the door. At the foot of the bed in this photo, is the closet- It's maybe 3 feet from the foot? And then just to the left of the chair, you can see the vent on the floor that we can't cover up. The bed is pushed all the way into the wall in this photo. That chair is gone, but there's a dresser than runs almost that whole wall now. 

This is the current layout. You can see how the vent is just barely not covered by the bed, but if we push the bed into the corner this way, then it would cover up too much of it. We could fit a sidecar in on that side of the bed, but we're not left with much space on the close side- which is where we need to get into our closet. So I -think- if we tried to sidecar it would have to be this way, and just be really snug trying to get clothes, and if we pushed the bed against the wall, it would have to be the first way. 

LOL I think I'm talking myself in circles!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 09-27-2012, 08:39 PM

I'll try and straighten up my room enough to not be embarrassed and I'll take a photo of the "walkable" space around my bed right now. It's laughable. If it were me, I would leave the bed the way it is right now, pull it away from the wall far enough to shove the sidecar in and then push the bed back. It won't cover the vent and I think you should still have room to get in your closet. If your bed is right at the closet, does it keep it from opening?

Old 09-27-2012, 09:02 PM

No, we can still open, they're sliding mirrored doors, like the type where only half the closet is open at once, and you can never get to the stuff in the middle anyways :P lol

There's someone on our local buy/sell site selling an ikea crib for $20 with no hardware and they live a few blocks from DH's work. I'm trying to guess how hard it would be to "make" replacement hardware. Then we'd just have to find a second mattress (or not, but I'd rather have one in each "bed")

Old 09-27-2012, 09:10 PM

Which crib is it? If it's the one I have, I can scan in the instructions that show the hardware and email it to you.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:36 AM

I have an ikea crib, trying to remember if I posted a pic of our sidecar situation .. . I will repost anyway.

Though, honestly Norah doesn't actually sleep in it much. It does give us more room, or it feels like it, because she can be on the very edge, or half/half, and I don't have to worry.

We have this crib, couldn't find the pic of our actual sidecar stuff . . .

Old 09-28-2012, 07:46 AM

You could squish a small crib or a portable crib/pack and play in there!  Who cares if you can walk around??  Sleep is soooo worth it!!!!!

I'm not getting any so this is my 2 cents on the matter.  LOL.  I would sleep hanging upside down on the moon if I was going to get more than an hour at a time! dizzy.gif

No time, but wanted to say Chris's Europe trip got cancelled.  He is SO pissed right now at his job.  I'll elaborate soon, but man.  It's tense in this house!!

I'm loving my new babyhawk!  

I'm also loving my new baby monitor!  OMG i should have bought one months ago.  The relief of being able to SEE him when he fusses is a whole new level of comfort.  I can't believe how he can scream out, flip over, roll around, and resettle all on his own!  

I got this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-AVENT-Digital-Video-Monitor/dp/B003YC0W86/ref=sr_1_3?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1348839774&sr=1-3&keywords=phillips+avent+baby+monitor

Have to hopefully run out to party city today to get stuff for Nora's class party on Tuesday.  I have to somehow also make soy free, vegan, nut free cupcakes.  Oye. 

She wants a disney princess party she finally decided.  I'm just glad she finally PICKED something.  Her family party will be at our house on 10/20.  Not huge.  Not like Finn's 1st.  Just immediate fam and close friends.  Honestly my two closest friends probably won't make it -- they should be holding newborns!!  I cannot WAIT for this influx of new babies in my circle!!  I want to hold them and kiss them ...and then hand them back!

Lauri  - booooo to pms!  I'm o'ing this weekend.  fertile crazies have kicked in!!!  nono.gif

Old 09-28-2012, 08:38 AM

I have the summer infant touch video monitor. LOVE it. it is so more importnat to to see vs. hear, IMHO.

JJ: could you use something like this? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dream-on-Me-Aden-3-in-1-Fixed-Side-Convertible-Mini-Crib-Cherry/19526127

I am getting some better sleep. Not as much as I'd like, but who knows when that might happen.

boo for Chris's job and tension.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:00 AM

Hmmm. I thought it looked like that Ikea crib, but now I see the top is different, and maybe the spindles too?  This is the ad:  http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=417192099

Quote:
I'm not getting any so this is my 2 cents on the matter.  LOL.  I would sleep hanging upside down on the moon if I was going to get more than an hour at a time! dizzy.gif

LOL I so hear you. And that's why I'm like. ok-- if she's actually going to sleep more being in the bed, then yes, I'm totally going to find a way to make that work. It's just when she was waking up just as often, that it didn't seem worth it, kwim?  So, she slept in her bed last night, and longest stretch was 1.5 hours. Tonight I think I'll try in our bed again... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

JJ: could you use something like this? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dream-on-Me-Aden-3-in-1-Fixed-Side-Convertible-Mini-Crib-Cherry/19526127

I looked at the mini-cribs, but they only give you a few more inches, and then we have to buy new, and have to buy the mini-mattress and sheets, which starts making it a quite expensive choice. 

I measured last night, and with a normal size crib pushed into the side with the window, it would mean we'd have about 20" left between the side of the bed and closet. Not totally impossible. I dunno, I'll have to talk to DH tonight more. 

I'm buying my iphone today!! I've been wanting a smart phone for several years, but could never justify. But now with trying to get a business off the ground (well in theory, I'm not really trying anymore), and then being out and about with Ten more, it'll be really nice to have internet on the go. I've had so many times lately where I could have used it to look up a bus schedule, or where an address was, or even just sitting at a park for a playdate, wondering if anyone else is going to show up- it would have been nice to be able to check FB. Plus having the games and the camera, so poor DH can have his ipod back. He has one, but almost always leaves it for me to play with, so he never gets to actually enjoy it. 

So, I'm biting the bullet of the extra $20/month for the plan, and using bday money to pay for the actual phone. Yay!  I think I'm leaning towards getting the 4s rather than the brand new 5 though. It's $100 difference, and I don't see a lot of reason why the 5 would be better for me (especially for someone who has never owned one and won't know the difference!)

Old 09-28-2012, 09:46 AM

Woo hoo on the new phone!!  You'll love it.  I have an android phone (samsung galaxy S III) and I adore having all the ability to connect to whomever/whatever I need while I'm home or out.  I love being able to read my books (kindle) while I'm nursing or up in the middle of the night.  Navigation is nice!  GPS is nice!  Having a camera with the ability to upload pics to FB means we should be seeing much more of Tenley!!  That makes me happy!!

Old 09-28-2012, 01:32 PM

hola.gif Long time no talk! 

Wow - I have been busy. My blog is literally taking off - it's crazy. I have managed to stumble across a crazy niche that's for sure. Now I just need to finish my book! LOL

I don't think I am going to be able to make it to the get together you are all planning. It is still REALLY far away from me and flying with 4 kids is just to expensive. 

Other than that, my kids are driving me crazy, my house is not self cleaning no matter how long I wait,  and my laundry is not doing itself either orngtongue.gif

See ya ladies around, probably more on FB than anything. 

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

Tags
Boiron Oscillococcinum Natural Flu Relief 6 Pack With 6 Dose Bonus Pack 12 Total , Moms Medicine How To Protect Your Kids Husband And Parents Against More Than 100 Health Problems And , Family Budget Leads You Out Of Debt Save Money Mrr , Baby Markets Money And The New Politics Of Creating Families , Homeolab Usa Kids Relief Flu Ages 2 85 Fl Oz 25 Ml
User Tag List