September 2012 Rockstar Mamas - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 361 Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it must be spiced rum. I love mojitos and I love mangos so this sounds so yummy.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#62 of 361 Old 09-07-2012, 10:01 AM

I love liquor drinks, I get the stuff to make them at home when we do imbibe, because getting them out is so expensive. I love a chocolate martini. And russians. And mudslides. and grasshoppers . . . man I sound like a lush! but we only indulge on rare occasions - once every few months. And now I'm abstaining again. Drink for me, ladies!

Our favorite wines are a brand called Duplin. They are inexpensive, delicious cold or room temperature, and just the right sweetness. Also they are local to the Carolinas, I think.

Could Dylan's fussiness be related to AF? (hormones, less or slightly different tasting milk . . .)

DH is still a grouch. ugh.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#63 of 361 Old 09-07-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Our favorite wines are a brand called Duplin. They are inexpensive, delicious cold or room temperature, and just the right sweetness. Also they are local to the Carolinas, I think.

Duplin Count is in NC. I don't like those wines. Too sweet for me.
Quote:

Could Dylan's fussiness be related to AF? (hormones, less or slightly different tasting milk . . .)

IDK. Technically, it's just break-through bleeding, not AF, so I don't know if it's hormone related. KWIM? I have been worried about my milk lately, though. It seems to take longer sometimes to let down. All this being out and about and running around and eating solids out has interfered with our nursing and I don't like it. greensad.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#64 of 361 Old 09-07-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:

I love liquor drinks, I get the stuff to make them at home when we do imbibe, because getting them out is so expensive. I love a chocolate martini. And russians. And mudslides. and grasshoppers . . . man I sound like a lush! but we only indulge on rare occasions - once every few months. And now I'm abstaining again. Drink for me, ladies!

I love white russians!  They remind me of the holidays, probably b/c I always have them during that time of year.  And I make eggnog with silknog and a bit of whiskey or southern comfort!

I'm so excited about Christmas this year!  Tangent I know, but still -- I'm already getting very excited for thanksgiving and christmas.  Tho I'm sure Finn is going to srsly knock the tree over! 

My fave wine is a reisling.  I've tried a bunch and I really haven't found one I don't like.  Lately I've been buying Botabox boxed wine, b/c it's a better value for how much I drink!  Talk about sounding like a lush, lol!

I will drink for you kat!  No worries there!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#65 of 361 Old 09-07-2012, 11:08 AM

I love sweet wines! and Reisling are awesome.

ah, just breakthrough bleeding? still . . . And yeah, all the solids and being out and about messes nursing up.

I am looking forward to the holidays - I love cooking and giving gifts. One of these years I am going to make a TurDucken (which I am sure there is no vegan equivalent of :( ) more for the carnivores!

We will probably do a table tree, or get a tree shaped wreath to hang on the wall, and hang ornaments from it. Kid proof!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#66 of 361 Old 09-07-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, Reisling...no. I can't drink that. Too sweet. I like dry wines and sour/tangy liquor drinks, like gin & tonic and salty margaritas. Mojitos can be sweet but don't have to be, which is why I like the idea of a spicy one.

Kellen picked a Mudslide for dessert when we were eating at Cheddar's the other night. lol.gif

DH will actually be home for Christmas this year!

#67 of 361 Old 09-07-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

DH will actually be home for Christmas this year!

Oh that's great!

I just thought of something.  I HAVE to get these kids in for photos at JC Penney.  I keep putting it off.  I'm going to make the appt for this week or next!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#68 of 361 Old 09-07-2012, 09:38 PM

Tenley's asleep, and her first stretch last nigth was 4.5 hours so I'm hurrying to get into bed- maybe it'll be another long one!!

Quote:

JJ: good luck at the photo shoot!  are you still taking doula clients? (I think IRC you are a doula? what else do you do professionally?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Oooh cool!  Yes I hope you get some swag!

What about taking a doula client a month?  That cant hurt, right?  
I'm still trying to figure out child care logistics though so if that is why you aren't that makes sense.  It's tough to think about who will watch the baby if you get called away for 24 hours :-(.

Trying :( I'm having a heck of a time finding clients. I need to take some time and go out and put up some posters, drop off business cards, etc. Right now I only have ONE potential client. At all. Total. She's due in March, but won't be ready to commit until October. Ideally I'd like 2 clients a month for the first bit, and as Tenley grows up, work my way up to 4 clients a month, or even 5. I'm very lucky that we have lots of family and friends nearby, so I'm actually less worried about where Tenley will go during a birth than if I have to find care for her 5 days a week 7-4pm! 

Previous to mat leave I worked Front desk at the Fairmont hotel here. Good work, and I don't mind going back to it, actually, but then yes, there's the child care issue, and what that does to our family life, especially since it takes an hour to get there by bus. So I'd probably have to leave the house at 6am, then DH would take Tenley to the babysitters for 730, then I'd get homr at around 430, they would be home shortly after, dinner, bath, bed. No time for us :(

The photoshoot went well. Not nearly as long as I thought, which sucks. Tenley didn't cooperate as much as I thought she would, but I think we got some good shots. I brought home one diaper, and apparently we'll have a "goodie bag" waiting for us at the store when we go in on Monday (we have to sign the release). PS There's new diapers! I'm so excited to see more about them! That's all I can say. :X

Quote:

The doc told me it would be 2-3 hours per kid since we've never done a full physical before. I don't want to use them anyway so it's not worth it.

WTF are they doing that takes 2-3 hours per kid? *blink blink*

Quote:

JJ ~ Have you gotten your socks yet? They were mailed a while ago but I know it can sometimes take a while to get through Customs. I wish I could get tracking numbers for international packages but that's the one thing you can't get. Silly. Also kind of silly that shipping to Canada is international since it's right next door.

I haven't, but not that surprised! The mail does take a lot longer, but I've never had anything from the states get lost! *knock on wood*

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#69 of 361 Old 09-08-2012, 04:26 AM

hooray for good sleep! Norah slept well last night. Honestly, after crawling into bed with her and popping a boob in her mouth, I don't recall anything, and that scares me a little. we went to bed at 10ish, I woke up at 11:30, noticed DS was in bed, TV was off, DH was in his office, so I went back to bed. Norah continued to sleep until 5 or so and I nursed her a couple times, and she will hopefully sleep until 8-9.

DS, OTOH, woke up crying loudly twice, thankfully neither of which bothered DD. I wish DH would be less cranky when he goes in there. I might take that over, and have him deal with Norah.

JJ: Doula clients. IDK how anything works up there, but do any of the hospitals keep doulas on staff? One here does, the pay isn't fabulous, but at least it's regular. Or do any of the midwives have doulas on their staffs? Anyway to find out? that way you would have a way to have more regular doula-work.

And hooray for swag!

#70 of 361 Old 09-08-2012, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwoten View Post

WTF are they doing that takes 2-3 hours per kid? *blink blink*

lol.gif IDK since I've not done. I think I asked about doing it with Ethan when he was 3 or 4. They gave me a thick packet to fill out with all kinds of "developmental" questions that I thought were ridiculous. I didn't go back for it.
Quote:

I haven't, but not that surprised! The mail does take a lot longer, but I've never had anything from the states get lost! *knock on wood*

Hopefully, you'll get them before Tenley grows out of them. lol.gif

Kat ~ I've been having the same problem with my dh lately. I've been really getting on him about being grumpy with the kids when they are upset. It only makes things worse, not better. A lot of times I tell him to just let me handle it if he can't be nice about it.

#71 of 361 Old 09-08-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:

hooray for good sleep! Norah slept well last night. Honestly, after crawling into bed with her and popping a boob in her mouth, I don't recall anything, and that scares me a little. we went to bed at 10ish, I woke up at 11:30, noticed DS was in bed, TV was off, DH was in his office, so I went back to bed. Norah continued to sleep until 5 or so and I nursed her a couple times, and she will hopefully sleep until 8-9.

DS, OTOH, woke up crying loudly twice, thankfully neither of which bothered DD. I wish DH would be less cranky when he goes in there. I might take that over, and have him deal with Norah.

JJ: Doula clients. IDK how anything works up there, but do any of the hospitals keep doulas on staff? One here does, the pay isn't fabulous, but at least it's regular. Or do any of the midwives have doulas on their staffs? Anyway to find out? that way you would have a way to have more regular doula-work.

And hooray for swag!

Isn't that the way the world works? One child sleeps well, something else keeps you up!

The hospitals/midwives here don't hire doulas at all, it's all privately by the parents. There are a couple organizations that are bigger that work as co-ops, that I could look into, but then I have to go through a new training and certification process, which is a few hundred dollars, and then I have to work under their guidelines. Still considering it, but not wild about the idea. 

Quote:

lol.gif IDK since I've not done. I think I asked about doing it with Ethan when he was 3 or 4. They gave me a thick packet to fill out with all kinds of "developmental" questions that I thought were ridiculous. I didn't go back for it.
Hopefully, you'll get them before Tenley grows out of them. lol.gif

Yeah, I can't imagine. My physicals now take like... 30 minutes, but even as a kid and they were (what seemed to me) to be super involved, they were only 45 minutes or so. That was with all the spine, tummy, ears, eyes, throat, weight, height, reflexes, etc. I just can't imagine what else you'd check! lol Developmental questions seem silly, tbh. Like they think you might be hiding him away because he has severe developmental delays you're trying to hide or something? lol Crazy. 

I'm sure I'll get them soon! Perfect time for winter!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#72 of 361 Old 09-08-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

I know they want you to answer the question and do the little tests with the child in the office. I can't take the packet home, fill it out and then go back another day. Idk why. shrug.gif I'm not going to answer all those questions because that's not what I think doctors are for. I go to a doctor when someone is sick or injured and needs medical treatment, not to make sure my child is saying 10 words by 15 months or whatever it is and can draw a circle and put his pants on one leg at a time. eyesroll.gif

#73 of 361 Old 09-08-2012, 10:33 AM

Yes exactly. I don't know, I guess maybe we're the weird ones, but if my child wasn't hitting developmental milestones, the pediatrician isn't the first person who would cross my mind. Maybe that's backwards? Or hey... you know... if I feel like I'm seeing delays, as a parent, I'd be smart enough to mention them at that point! 

#74 of 361 Old 09-08-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I might go to the doctor if I needed a referral for something but only if I thought there was an issue. I don't go to the doctor so s/he can tell me if there's an issue like that with my child. Also, most of that developmental milestone stuff does not apply to our life anymore since my kids don't go to daycare or school. There isn't anything that they need to know or do by a certain age. So, even if the appointment only took 30 minutes, taking everyone to the doctor, waiting in the waiting room with sick people and then being crammed into a tiny exam room with germs everywhere is not something I want to do so I can use a childcare place maybe 3 times a year.

It turns out it's all moot for us, anyway. Ethan has a baseball game, and since we may miss the next Tuesday game, we don't want him to miss that one.

#75 of 361 Old 09-08-2012, 11:32 AM

I think I'm in PMS mode w/o an O this month.  FIREdevil.gif

I'm picking stupid fights with DH, getting annoyed with him, etc.  By day counting I'm due to get AF while we are away!  Major bummer!!  LOL!!  

This week Finn has really started saying Uh Oh and it's the cutest thing!  Nora never did cute babbling like that.  She said words like cat and mama but she never did sing-songy intonations or "tricks".  I didn't teach him it.  He must have just picked it up!  This morning he was up SO EARLY (630) laying there saying uh oh over and over again.  Just saying it to himself.  LIke practicing the sounds!  Finally at 7 I just peeked at him and was like, Ok, we'll get up!  It was cute.

He's running a  low fever and is a hot mess today.  Hopefully he feels better by our trip!

I was looking at the hotel again and OMG i cannot WAIT to get there, drop my stuff down, and RELAX!!!

#76 of 361 Old 09-08-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

I got in a stupid fight with dh today, too. The maintenance light came on the van so I said we needed to get whatever it is done before the trip. He was looking up stuff and got all dressed to change the oil. I asked if he was going to do anything else because, if not, I wanted to make arrangements to take it in on Monday to make sure it would be done in time. I think it needs the 90,000 mile maintenance and it's at 98,000 miles. He started going on about what he could do and that it would take a while because he'd have to order parts. I was like, "Ok, so are you going to do it or do you want me to just take the car in?" Again, an explanations of ordering parts and blah, blah, blah. Just a yes or no answer, please. Are you going to do it? He could not do that. OK, I tried a different approach. "Do you think it needs to be done before we go or do you think it could wait? Again, no answer. So, I try again, "What do you want to do?" Answer: I don't know. Ugh! Make a freakin' decision. He throws his hands up and says, "Whatever. I don't care. Take it in." So I said, "Fine. I won't do anything. I guess it won't get done at all." lol.gif Hopefully, we won't get stranded on the side of the road while driving up there.

BTW, it's a timeshare resort rather than a hotel. That means there's not really maid service. We'll have to clean the dishes and rooms ourselves but it's not a big deal. Just vacuum and run the dishwasher whenever we need and as we are checking out. They take care of the bedding after we leave. But that does mean there isn't a restaurant or room service. There are activities, some free some with a fee. There's a children's pool, too, whatever that means. smile.gif

#77 of 361 Old 09-08-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:

I got in a stupid fight with dh today, too. The maintenance light came on the van so I said we needed to get whatever it is done before the trip. He was looking up stuff and got all dressed to change the oil. I asked if he was going to do anything else because, if not, I wanted to make arrangements to take it in on Monday to make sure it would be done in time. I think it needs the 90,000 mile maintenance and it's at 98,000 miles. He started going on about what he could do and that it would take a while because he'd have to order parts. I was like, "Ok, so are you going to do it or do you want me to just take the car in?" Again, an explanations of ordering parts and blah, blah, blah. Just a yes or no answer, please. Are you going to do it? He could not do that. OK, I tried a different approach. "Do you think it needs to be done before we go or do you think it could wait? Again, no answer. So, I try again, "What do you want to do?" Answer: I don't know. Ugh! Make a freakin' decision. He throws his hands up and says, "Whatever. I don't care. Take it in." So I said, "Fine. I won't do anything. I guess it won't get done at all." lol.gif Hopefully, we won't get stranded on the side of the road while driving up there.
BTW, it's a timeshare resort rather than a hotel. That means there's not really maid service. We'll have to clean the dishes and rooms ourselves but it's not a big deal. Just vacuum and run the dishwasher whenever we need and as we are checking out. They take care of the bedding after we leave. But that does mean there isn't a restaurant or room service. There are activities, some free some with a fee. There's a children's pool, too, whatever that means. smile.gif

MEN!!  

Oh - yes thats fine.  That's what I thought.  I think that's better anyway with all of us coming and going, we can take care of our own messes and things.  

We will probably go food shopping once we get down there for basics.  Id rather cook than go out to eat that first night.  The road trip is going to do me in, I'm calling it.

#78 of 361 Old 09-08-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

I'm planning to bring some food so we won't feel the need to rush out shopping that night. Hopefully, we'll have stuff for dinner and breakfast and maybe some snacks, whatever we have in the house.

#79 of 361 Old 09-09-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:

I'm planning to bring some food so we won't feel the need to rush out shopping that night. Hopefully, we'll have stuff for dinner and breakfast and maybe some snacks, whatever we have in the house.

We'll bring snacky stuff.  I'm not sure I can convince Chris to pack much more than that, he won't pack meal stuff.  I know it.

He has the opportunity to go to Czech Republic in October.  Oct 8-12 or 13.  I gave him my full support -- it's just far!  Idk.  I'm not worried exactly.  I just am like.  Wow.  Ok.  Far.

Finn slept like crap last night.  It's got to be teeth.  He's watching Gabba Gabba while I have some coffee and try to wake up.

#80 of 361 Old 09-09-2012, 07:52 AM

Oh man, so much to catch up on! I've been reading along but just now back on a PC. I hate typing on my Nook.

Christmas: Should be interesting this year. We have the big kids from when school lets out until the afternoon on Christmas Day. I have to work some though during that time (our busiest time of year and we are in lock-down so you can't take time off) but hopefully I can switch with someone that is kid-less so I can be home Christmas Eve. We have lots of traditions that we do. It will be interesting to see how Ava does with a tree. She's getting very good at remembering what is "For Ava" and what is "Not for Ava". I still haven't put locks on the kitchen cabinets. I've just told her enough times "Not for Ava" when she tries to open the one cabinet she can't go in and now she mostly avoids it. If I see her reaching for it, I just have to say "Not for Ava" and she leaves it alone.

I was telling DH about the convos regarding mixed drinks, etc for Williamsburg and he said something along the lines of "no wife swapping"...ROTFLMAO.gifI had to bite my tongue because I almost responded "MW doesn't even want to DTD w/her own husband much less w/you!"...I try to keep most of our convos on here just between us. It should be interesting to see the dynamic between the husbands. My DH has a quirky sense of humor and not everyone appreciates it!

I can appreciate why people would take their kids to the pedi first if they notice something off or even why the pedis ask developmental questions. Not everyone has been around little ones before and understand what's within tolerance and what may require intervention. I know we've talked about this before and we are not all in agreement about early intervention or intervention at all but having lived with my older brother all my life and witnessing his struggles and frustrations, that could have been greatly lessened by early intervention, I don't see the value in withholding it for issues that clearly need intervention. And there is also the group of people out there that need an authority figure (teacher, doctor, police officer, etc) tell them what's right and wrong in order for them to believe it. My DH's exwife is that way. Drives me crazy sometimes.

JJ, do you have a list-serve for a birth group or mama group? You could always post on there that you will do a couple of births for free just to get your name out there and gain experience. Also have you let your doula know? I am not currently taking on doula work but I get inquiries every now and again and I pass them along to other doulas that I know are working all the time.

AFM, Ava attended her first late night party last night and she did great! We went over to our friends' house and they have a 2 1/2 yr old so she had lots of stuff to play with. We played, had dinner, played some more and then she just hung out and played with the grownups after the 2 yr old went to bed. She did great! The mom remarked that if her 2 yr old was that quiet and calm, she would definitely be willing to have another. Ava loved having six grownups all to herself. She's such an attention whore! lol.gif

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#81 of 361 Old 09-09-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

I can appreciate why people would take their kids to the pedi first if they notice something off or even why the pedis ask developmental questions. Not everyone has been around little ones before and understand what's within tolerance and what may require intervention. I know we've talked about this before and we are not all in agreement about early intervention or intervention at all but having lived with my older brother all my life and witnessing his struggles and frustrations, that could have been greatly lessened by early intervention, I don't see the value in withholding it for issues that clearly need intervention. And there is also the group of people out there that need an authority figure (teacher, doctor, police officer, etc) tell them what's right and wrong in order for them to believe it. My DH's exwife is that way. Drives me crazy sometimes.

JJ, do you have a list-serve for a birth group or mama group? You could always post on there that you will do a couple of births for free just to get your name out there and gain experience. Also have you let your doula know? I am not currently taking on doula work but I get inquiries every now and again and I pass them along to other doulas that I know are working all the time.

AFM, Ava attended her first late night party last night and she did great! We went over to our friends' house and they have a 2 1/2 yr old so she had lots of stuff to play with. We played, had dinner, played some more and then she just hung out and played with the grownups after the 2 yr old went to bed. She did great! The mom remarked that if her 2 yr old was that quiet and calm, she would definitely be willing to have another. Ava loved having six grownups all to herself. She's such an attention whore! lol.gif

Oh yes, very good distinction. If I thought something was up, then obviously I'd head to the doctor for a referral. I just don't think it makes sense for the Dr to be the one 'looking' for problem, kwim? They see them one day out of 365, so it's not a very good indicator, to me. But yes, when I see children who have obvious issues, and the parents decide to stick their head in the sand, that does drive me nuts. 

I am part of a yahoo group for local birth, but it's very inactive. Like, one post every 2 months or so, and it's mostly other doulas, so very little chance of clients. I posted on there previously when I was attending births, and it's how I found my backup, but never any clients. And my doula isn't technically a doula, she's just attended a handful of births for friends, so she doesn't get any inquiries. I did think more about the co-op group though after writing about it in the last post. I think if we figure out the money thing and I don't have to go back to work, and money is still ok, then I might look into their 'training' and joining their group in a few months. My big thing was not wanting to put out the money, for something I'd rather do solo anyways... but... I could always do it for 6 months or so, gain some clients and word of mouth, and then maybe try to go solo again. 

That sounds adorable with Ava. I love watching them grow up and get so social!

#82 of 361 Old 09-09-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh yes, very good distinction. If I thought something was up, then obviously I'd head to the doctor for a referral. I just don't think it makes sense for the Dr to be the one 'looking' for problem, kwim? They see them one day out of 365, so it's not a very good indicator, to me. But yes, when I see children who have obvious issues, and the parents decide to stick their head in the sand, that does drive me nuts. 

Yeah, it's one thing to have something obvious wrong with your child and do nothing and another to just not see the point in a well-visit or check up when you know everything is fine. I went to all the doctor's appointments on schedule with Ryan. He was my first and I followed all the "rules". I did a little less with Ethan and then a little less with Kellen and now almost nothing with Dylan.

Annie ~ I think you said your brother had speech issues, right? At least, you brought that up when I was discussing speech issues with Kellen. I don't know much about it directly, but according to a lot of people on my unschooling group, there's no real scientific evidence that any speech therapy actually works anymore than time and maturity. It's very possible that your brother wouldn't have been much different even with therapy.

I do have some experience with the kid who lives next door and speech therapy. I can honestly say that I don't see much difference/improvement in his speech other than what could be accounted for with growth. He still has the same issues he had before 2 years of speech therapy, just not as pronounced. I can tell that Kellen's speech has improved and is changing and another mom in my homeschool even commented on it after we got back from Virginia. I guess being away for so long made it more obvious rather than hearing it every day or week. You'll hear what I'm talking about this weekend.

On that note, I have a favor to ask you and Carrie. If I start to get obnoxious with my dh and say or do anything that makes the atmosphere uncomfortable, please kick me under the table or pinch me in the arm or give me a funny look.

#83 of 361 Old 09-09-2012, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to post why I came here in the first place. DH, Kellen and Dylan fell asleep so Ethan and I snuck back downstairs to chill for a bit. Dylan was driving me nuts nursing and then crawling around and then fussing and then nursing and flopping around and not settling. At the end, though, he nursed for a minute and then flopped upside down and crawled to the foot of Ethan's bed, babbled at himself for a little and then fell asleep. joy.gif

#84 of 361 Old 09-09-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and why is it called wife swapping? What about no husband sharing unless they are sharing child care?! lol.gif

#85 of 361 Old 09-09-2012, 11:28 PM

Hahaha! I like that MW! Too funny! Honestly, I don't think the guys know what they've signed up for here...AHAHAHAHA! I can't wait to see the babies together. It will be interesting to see how Ava reacts if she sees Dylan or Finn nursing. I've pretended to nurse her babies before and sometimes she will start to try to mimic them but then she starts laughing.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#86 of 361 Old 09-09-2012, 11:37 PM

With my brother's speech issues, it's possible that nothing would have been different in the long run but here's what we did observe. Jason is acutely aware that he doesn't "match" with most differently abled people. He doesn't physically look different than mainstream like say people with DS do. So by the time intervention was started when he was 7ish, he was aware enough to know that was making him "different" and he refused to cooperate in a lot of cases. He knew the signs they were teaching him but he didn't want to use them because then he looked different. I think if he had started learning ASL as a toddler, he may have been more conducive to using it. But maybe not. I do think that some of his inherent anger and frustration would notbe there if he had been able to communicate easier within our family at an earlier age. That would have shifted our family dynamic. But who knows for sure?

#87 of 361 Old 09-10-2012, 05:17 AM

Annie - that's a good a point.

Early Intervention: I have several friends who love EI (and these are generally crunchy sorts of people) While some issues I think do fix themselves with time and exposure, I think it might just help ease kids into doing some things, so they don't feel so left out in a group, if it might help them participate and join earlier. I think kids notice differences earlier than we give them credit for. I think probably, if I were seeing a ped, they might have referred Gabe for speech. He is completely within the range of normal (but was slow to start, and didn't pronounce  and still doesn't - "whole" words all the time. often its just part of words) But he is gaing words, clarity, and sentence structure by leaps and bounds lately. I was never really worried, but other people who are used to daycare kids (who talk earlier often out of sheer necessity) and those with older siblings, noticed and wondered sometimes.Also, the same kids that I know that see EI for speech, often also have some sensory processing issues, etc.

It will be interesting to find out how all the DH's do. DH reads along MDC sometimes (he is usually down in the spirtuality boards - but sometimes peeks in on posts I write) so he would have a little clue what he's getting into.

Norah tried really hard to latch on to a chest freckle (on me) the other day. It was really funny. She's still nursing - and we have about a month until her 1st birthday, at which point I think I will work a little harder at weaning. I really, really, don't want to tandem. I don't have the energy. If I weren't pregnant, I'd have no issue with her continuing nursing another year.

I ordered her birthday stuff!! I am so excited.

#88 of 361 Old 09-10-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hahaha! I like that MW! Too funny! Honestly, I don't think the guys know what they've signed up for here...AHAHAHAHA! I can't wait to see the babies together. It will be interesting to see how Ava reacts if she sees Dylan or Finn nursing. I've pretended to nurse her babies before and sometimes she will start to try to mimic them but then she starts laughing.

I think it's going to be so fun seeing the babies together and the older kids and the husbands. I'm already thinking mommy pedis and/or massage time out. winky.gif
Quote:

With my brother's speech issues, it's possible that nothing would have been different in the long run but here's what we did observe. Jason is acutely aware that he doesn't "match" with most differently abled people. He doesn't physically look different than mainstream like say people with DS do. So by the time intervention was started when he was 7ish, he was aware enough to know that was making him "different" and he refused to cooperate in a lot of cases. He knew the signs they were teaching him but he didn't want to use them because then he looked different. I think if he had started learning ASL as a toddler, he may have been more conducive to using it. But maybe not. I do think that some of his inherent anger and frustration would notbe there if he had been able to communicate easier within our family at an earlier age. That would have shifted our family dynamic. But who knows for sure?

To me this is more an example of the problems with forcing a child to do therapy rather than a problem of when or how it was started. The therapy reinforced that there was something wrong with him and rebelled against that. Of course, I don't really know what was going on but that's my take on it.

I do ASL with my babies. It hasn't really helped Kellen communicate. He knows some sign language now but doesn't really use it unless it's an "I love you" sign back at me when I do it to him. There is a difference in interactions between me and dh. He gets much more frustrated with dh more quickly because dh doesn't take the time to try to figure out what Kellen is saying. He either just nods his head without really understanding or gets frustrated himself about not understanding. I take the time to stop what I'm doing and really pay attention and listen to Kellen and think about the context and what makes sense. I probably have a least a little bit of an advantage since I've been around Kellen a lot more than DH but, still, I think he could make more of an effort. That's a bigger problem than Kellen's speech and not doing therapy for it, imo.

I've talked to Kellen about it, too. There was a very short period when he was getting very frustrated that people couldn't understand him. I asked him if it bothered him and if he wanted to try to do something about it but he said he did not. He was fine and hasn't really gotten frustrated about it since then. shrug.gif I do a lot of translating for him with everyone, which he appreciates.

#89 of 361 Old 09-10-2012, 08:44 AM

Norah is saying words. I am shocked, as I am pretty sure that Gabe wasn't saying nearly as much. But she is the 2nd and a girl. so far she has Mama, dada, g'ma, water, no, banana, and those are just what I remember, and that she's said more than once. Oh, and Dog. She is doing everything, exept teething, earlier than Gabe did. If baby #3 does stuff even sooner, I am really in trouble. Independence has both its pros and cons.

I try not to translate for Gabe too much, unless the person he's talking to indicates they don't understand. I want to give Gabe the opportunity first to make himself understood, and I think it makes him want to try to to be clear more.

*yawn* not enough sleep. or enough coffee.

#90 of 361 Old 09-10-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I try not to translate for Gabe too much, unless the person he's talking to indicates they don't understand. I want to give Gabe the opportunity first to make himself understood, and I think it makes him want to try to to be clear more.

I look to Kellen to see how he's reacting to not being understood and if he'd like me to help. We've been doing this long enough now that I can tell pretty quickly when he does. I think that's just part of being present and aware with your child. You know when they want to be left alone and when they would like some help. He's also able to tell me if he doesn't want me to interfere (although that's never happened).

Dylan is not talking or signing yet. He babbles sometimes but mostly just makes "uh" type noises and points. He understands the words and signs, though, because he'll nod his head if I say or sign something he wants. I've read stuff about later children talking later because there are so many people in the family to talk for them so they don't have to. It's not a bad thing. It doesn't affect speech development or cause problems. It just is (sometimes).

Tags
Boiron Oscillococcinum Natural Flu Relief 6 Pack With 6 Dose Bonus Pack 12 Total , Moms Medicine How To Protect Your Kids Husband And Parents Against More Than 100 Health Problems And , Family Budget Leads You Out Of Debt Save Money Mrr , Baby Markets Money And The New Politics Of Creating Families , Homeolab Usa Kids Relief Flu Ages 2 85 Fl Oz 25 Ml

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page