September 2012 Rockstar Mamas - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 05:54 AM
 
akind1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That is a great deal! though I think if we are going to do a whole week, that more common space might come in handy.

 

I hope Ava is feeling better soon.

 

Rebellious teenagers . . . I don't think either my sister or I were particularly rebellious. There were things to rebel against - our parents weren't super strict, but they did have clear rules and expectations. She was probably more rebellious than I was, and if anything, mom was more lax with her. Chantelle just has always pushed boundaries and been difficult. I think some kids just are (regardless of parenting, to an extent). I also agree somewhat with the biblical proverb: raise up your child in the way they should go, and when the are old, they will not depart from it. Meaning, to me, that yes, kids are going to push boundaries, rebel a bit, maybe even depart entirely, but as we age, we tend to return to our roots. I want to give my kids a firm foundation, a good root system, to return to. I also want to encourage them to have wings, and explore - I want to be their safety net. It's such a hard balance though - even at this age, because I don't want to be that parent that hovers at the playground, I want Gabe (and Norah when she's ready) to try all the things they think they can, but I also want them to be safe.

 

I want them to always be free to tell me anything, but also have the freedom to have and keep secrets .  .  .I don't want to be their friend - not yet - I think that backfired on DH and MIL. right now their relationship is very strained (MIL's fault - she doesn't think sometimes). my mom and I weren't friendly at all growing up. I don't think we liked each other very much back then. But now - I can say that we are friendly. I don't hesitate to tell her things. I love our relationship now. IDK .. . I will need to think more. I agree only so much we do as parents can have the effect we want - we have to work with the children we are given, and some kids are more open than others. I am rambling.

 

Carrie: yes - 3 weeks until the beans are spilled! DH and MIL had a convo this weekend that left him reeling a bit. We were driving a scion xB - awesome gas mileage, just paid off, but it was tiny - it barely fit our 2 kids and a stroller, we didn't even have room for a big grocery trip. We got a great deal on that minivan, and she doesn't understand why we got it, and went into debt. Even without baby #3, we needed more space, really, really did. It's a way to rebuild credit after the bankruptcy. The car payment on that is less than what the xB was by far, and the insurance is less, so I know we can swing it. She just doesn't get it. DH said he has an opportunity to pick up some more massage clients, and instead of being happy that he would be getting more work, and therefore more $$, she seemed bothered that the money wouldn't go towards helping her with some of DH's car payment (long standing agreement that she'd pay for the car, and he'd pay for student loans) She can easily afford the car payment (and all the other stuff she needs and wants, she has a well paying job) - but acts like she's completely broke. It frustrates him to no end. Anyway. She is going to flip when she finds out. Which is why we are announcing it company vs one-on-one. I don't need that drama or negativity.

 

OK, that's enough of a book! LOL


Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

akind1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 AM
 
Baby_Cakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 9,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Carrie: yes - 3 weeks until the beans are spilled! DH and MIL had a convo this weekend that left him reeling a bit. We were driving a scion xB - awesome gas mileage, just paid off, but it was tiny - it barely fit our 2 kids and a stroller, we didn't even have room for a big grocery trip. We got a great deal on that minivan, and she doesn't understand why we got it, and went into debt. Even without baby #3, we needed more space, really, really did. It's a way to rebuild credit after the bankruptcy. The car payment on that is less than what the xB was by far, and the insurance is less, so I know we can swing it. She just doesn't get it. DH said he has an opportunity to pick up some more massage clients, and instead of being happy that he would be getting more work, and therefore more $$, she seemed bothered that the money wouldn't go towards helping her with some of DH's car payment (long standing agreement that she'd pay for the car, and he'd pay for student loans) She can easily afford the car payment (and all the other stuff she needs and wants, she has a well paying job) - but acts like she's completely broke. It frustrates him to no end. Anyway. She is going to flip when she finds out. Which is why we are announcing it company vs one-on-one. I don't need that drama or negativity.

 

GRRRR it's so redic that people can't see babies as a good thing no matter what!  We are rooting for you and support you!

 

Going out for red robin for lunch!  MMm can't wait!  

 

Chris is going to VA tonight and will be back late tmw night.  He's taking the train.  

 

Gorgeous weather today!  Going to finish my coffee and then shower and maybe have time outside for a bit before meeting up w/my friend for lunch.


Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Baby_Cakes is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 07:59 AM
 
akind1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know. While I can agree the timing isn't the best ever, at least be happy about new life. babies are miracles.

 

Enjoy your day! Gabe has Kindermusik (AKA Daddy-son bonding time) so hopefully I can get some work done. I am lacking in motivation this morning. ugh. really need to go grocery shopping.

 

Red Robin! yumm! though a burger without cheese is just wrong ;)

 

Want to get out for lunch . . . deciding on what.


Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

akind1 is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 08:25 AM
 
Baby_Cakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 9,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Red Robin! yumm! though a burger without cheese is just wrong ;)

 

Want to get out for lunch . . . deciding on what.

 

Well...it's a meatless burger with no cheese...so at that point does it even matter?  LOL.  Who cares?  Endless fries!

 

Nora is a chatterbox in my ear this morning.  I need more patience!


Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Baby_Cakes is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kat ~ I like your analogy of the root system.

My main thing is to do my best to have a good, loving relationship with my kids now because I may not get a future with them. There is only here and now. I want to make this moment the best that it can be. If I do that and do have a long future with my kids, then most of our moments will be good and our relationship will be good.

My mom answered me. She said something about a timeshare that has up to 6 bedrooms, a couple fold out sofas and two living areas/kitchens. I think that's the one I told you all about initially that is across Ocean Blvd. so we'd have to drive to the beach. That probably wouldn't be a problem since they have shuttles and a private parking area with cabana across the street from the beach. Of course, it would probably be easier if we were right there but that's ok.

I think I prefer all of us being in the same place together. I really liked hanging out with everyone together. I felt a little left out having to go to my family unit to eat and whatnot. greensad.gif If we do get more than one unit, I would at least want the lock-off set up so the kids can wander back and forth without us having to take them out and around or whatever.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Well...it's a meatless burger with no cheese...so at that point does it even matter?  LOL.  Who cares?  Endless fries!

Haha! That's what I was thinking. I didn't know RR had endless fries. We don't usually get to that point. We fill up on everything else first. I'm not a fan of burgers or RR, though.

I am having such a hard time finding some warm boots for Dylan for the winter. I can't find anything in his size. Everything that looks warm and toasty is for girls. I want something that's warm enough to wear in snow for at least a little bit. I finally found a pair on Zulily that looked ok. Dark brown leather with faux fur inside. I can't get them on his feet!

Would you put a pair of those Uggs looking boots on a baby boy?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 09:59 AM
 
akind1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Carrie - I was just teasing ;) and of course, a meatless burger is kind of not a burger. Though I had an awesome tofu burger when I lived in Japan. And I suppose you could do fake cheese . . . And honestly if it's a mushroom burger, I don't like sliced cheese on those (but something salty and crumbly like feta or gorganzola might be kind of delicious)

 

6 bedrooms should be adequate, and I don't mind being across the street from the beach. Do you know the name of the resort? and how much? And I like the idea of having common space, but I like knowing there are places to retreat to should that be needed.

 

Roots and wings is totally copied from Sweet Home Alabama. Love a good chic flik.

 

What are you wanting to spend? Friends of mine that are in cold/wet weather all the time love their stonz - http://www.stonzwear.com/Baby_Boys_Booties_0-2yrs/Booties-Brown_Dark/Product.aspx?ProductID=98&DeptID=32& warm and weather resistant.

 

Gabe spent the weekend with MIL (FIL was out of town) He was so glad to see us when we went to pick him up, and has been so happy to be home, I don't think I will leave him there with just her again. (she is just not a lot of fun and I honestly don't think has the first clue what to do with him 24/7 all by herself - they did do some fun things on Saturday, but just stayed home and inside on Sunday, despite the gorgeous weather) - I wouldn't have, except I really needed him to be elsewhere on Saturday - too many things that weren't toddler friendly (4 hours of community yardsale, pampered chef party). My parents were working on house repairs and homework, else I would have used them instead.


Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

akind1 is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 10:50 AM
 
onetwoten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Trying to spend more time with T, less time on here. It's a work in progress. 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

My mom answered me. She said something about a timeshare that has up to 6 bedrooms, a couple fold out sofas and two living areas/kitchens. I think that's the one I told you all about initially that is across Ocean Blvd. so we'd have to drive to the beach. That probably wouldn't be a problem since they have shuttles and a private parking area with cabana across the street from the beach. Of course, it would probably be easier if we were right there but that's ok.
I think I prefer all of us being in the same place together. I really liked hanging out with everyone together. I felt a little left out having to go to my family unit to eat and whatnot. greensad.gif If we do get more than one unit, I would at least want the lock-off set up so the kids can wander back and forth without us having to take them out and around or whatever.

That setup sounds good. Agree about being able to easily wander back and forth throughout units. Obviously my preference is for something 'on' the beach, but I also realize that costs $$$ and if we find something with a great setup for a good price, that's a little further away, that's ok too. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

I am having such a hard time finding some warm boots for Dylan for the winter. I can't find anything in his size. Everything that looks warm and toasty is for girls. I want something that's warm enough to wear in snow for at least a little bit. I finally found a pair on Zulily that looked ok. Dark brown leather with faux fur inside. I can't get them on his feet!
Would you put a pair of those Uggs looking boots on a baby boy?

They're probably a little overboard, but do you guys have MEC down there? I'm getting Tenley these: http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Kids/SocksSlippers/BootiesSlippers/PRD~5024-625/mec-toaster-booties-childrens.jsp   They come very highly recommended to me. 

 

 

 

Trying to head outside at least once every day this week. My AP group started a sub-group for simply living, and this week's challenge is to celebrate fall. I'm trying to focus on enjoying the weather before it gets to cold to enjoy outside. We have two playdates set up for this week already, so that's progress. I also think I want to head to the park and get some good pictures of Tenley, but I need to plan that for a day when it's warm enough that she can wear a cute 'fall' outfit without freezing. 

 

I also want to do family portraits, but it's so hard to convince yourself to put out the money. But we don't have a single family portrait other than one from the hospital that only has the sides of our heads. 


Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

onetwoten is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 10:56 AM
 
akind1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Family portrait: we are putting it off probably until our family is complete, LOL, ie, next spring, maybe April? warm but not hot. I have a fantastic photog friend. She did my babywearing pics. Wouldn't mind some before then, but it is hard tojustify the $$.

 

Those MEC are cheaper than the Stonz.

 

what's the temp there? it's about 70 here today.beautiful!


Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

akind1 is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The place my mom is talking is on the other side of the main road that goes all along the Grand Strand. I guess that's not Ocean Blvd. What's the main road there? Across the street from the beach is pretty much the same as on the beach but 14 stories up to me, relatively easy and quick walking distance. I think the place Annie linked to is in a building on the beach but maybe on an upper floor.

I don't want to spend much at all on the boots for Dylan. He'll probably only wear them a handful of times, if at all. There are for jic in snows here, which it may not at all. How much is 27 CAD in USD? I think those are way too big, anyway. The smallest is 155 mm while his feet are only about 115 mm.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 11:52 AM
 
akind1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Kings Hwy? (in other words: 17?) Ocean blvd? . .

 

hmm let me look some more .  . .http://www.ebay.com/sch/Baby-Toddler-Clothing-/3082/i.html?_nkw=stonz slightly cheaper, and definitely small enough.

 

not good for snow, but cute : http://www.zappos.com/robeez-buffalo-bobby-mini-shoez-infant-toddler-brown-plaid

 

http://www.zappos.com/pediped-henry-original-boot-infant-chocolate-brown


Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

akind1 is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 11:54 AM
 
AnnieA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ava is still really sick! I'm trying not to freak out because I know it just needs to run its course but I just want to take her to the pedi and say make it better! She won't drink gatorade or coconut water. She keeps some milk down but then throws up other times. She hasn't had a wet dipe since I changed her at 5 AM. Still spiking fevers, sleeping a lot. I was able to get some noodles and chicken broth in her last night. If she wakes up before I go to work, I'll try that again. She took 2 oz of milk before she went to sleep about an hour ago and it's stayed down. She hasn't vomited since 5 AM so she's kept a total of 7 oz down. That's good, right?

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

AnnieA is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 12:03 PM
 
AnnieA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How about these? http://www.diapers.com/p/stride-rite-srt-gulliver-128209 A little pricey for me but pretty much what you are looking for.


Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

AnnieA is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, King's Hwy. if that's also 17.

Annie ~ I think keeping anything down is good. I don't know the rule about how many wet diapers at this age. I also don't know what a doctor would do other than tell you to give her pedialyte. Maybe some antinausea meds. I have mixed feelings about those. I understand that they can be helpful if the person is getting extremely dehydrated from vomiting but it seems counterintuitive to me to stop vomiting. To me, vomiting is a way for the body to flush itself of whatever is making it sick. If you stop that, the sickness will remain. KWIM?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 12:18 PM
 
AnnieA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I totally agree about not stopping the vomiting. I just have this irrational urge to take her to the doc even though I know intellectually there's not much they can do for her. She's just so miserable! I'm used to 24 hr stomach bugs and we're ending day 4 of this. :(

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

AnnieA is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, vomiting that long is concerning. I've never had to deal with a stomach virus that lasted that long, either, so I don't know what to do other than what you are doing, lots of fluids. My MW did say that I should keep taking fluids when I was sick while pg even if I did almost immediately throw it back up.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 12:40 PM
 
akind1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

you will absorb some of the fluid, even if some comes right back up. My concern about that much vomitting is that it's really hard on your esophagus - all those acids - and if she is seriously dehydrated she may need IV fluids.

 

Are the fluids you are giving her room temp? I know my stomach tends to reject cold things when I'm sick. Too much of a shock to the system.

 

This seems really helpful:

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/baby-illness/


Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

akind1 is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 01:04 PM
 
Baby_Cakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 9,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieA 

Ava is still really sick! I'm trying not to freak out because I know it just needs to run its course but I just want to take her to the pedi and say make it better! She won't drink gatorade or coconut water. She keeps some milk down but then throws up other times. She hasn't had a wet dipe since I changed her at 5 AM. Still spiking fevers, sleeping a lot. I was able to get some noodles and chicken broth in her last night. If she wakes up before I go to work, I'll try that again. She took 2 oz of milk before she went to sleep about an hour ago and it's stayed down. She hasn't vomited since 5 AM so she's kept a total of 7 oz down. That's good, right?


 

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieA 

I totally agree about not stopping the vomiting. I just have this irrational urge to take her to the doc even though I know intellectually there's not much they can do for her. She's just so miserable! I'm used to 24 hr stomach bugs and we're ending day 4 of this. greensad.gif


 

 

Honestly after 4 days I would go to the ped even if they couldn't do much more than confirm I'm doing all the right things.  What can a visit hurt?  She is miserable and you are worried to tears!  ((hugs)) I really hope it breaks soon.  Maybe it is a bad stomach flu, or just some wicked wicked virus!  I know you are doing all the right things if that makes you feel any better.  Milk, broth, rest.  Keep her comfortable.  

 

Kat, Idk.. boca burgers are practically the only burgers I've ever eaten and liked, so to me it really is a burger!  LOL.

 

JJ - What about something like JC Penney?  Do you have that up there?  It's nothing like a pro photo shoot, but it's something and I'm so happy with my mat photos I had done there.  And it won't cost you much at all!

 

Lunch was so fun!  I realized I'd forgotten all the dipes and hats, etc I was going to give my friend so she and her DD came over here to play for a bit.  Finn didn't go down for his nap until 230!  Normally the latest he will nap is 1 so he just seriously checked OUT!  HA!

I found mater!! He was in the car under the carseat!!
 

Ok - baby napping - I gotta go quickly do wash and pick up!  BBL.

 

Oh - I'm following along with the beach house plans but not really chiming in b/c I really dont see us being able to go.  Boooooo!  But I'm going to keep up just in case we can!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Baby_Cakes is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Oh - I'm following along with the beach house plans but not really chiming in b/c I really dont see us being able to go.  Boooooo!  But I'm going to keep up just in case we can!

Bummer! greensad.gif But that is good to know. If you are pretty sure you can't go, we only need 4 bedrooms, right?

Yay for finding Mater!

I meant to comment on the photos.

JJ ~ We just got another set from PictureMe Portraits and we love them! I always spend way more than I plan. I go there with the coupon for a gazillion for like $7.99 or whatever but that's only one pose so I end up getting a package with several poses and spend $150-200. They are definitely worth it. DH just picked up our collage of Dylan at 1 year. It's so nice! We also got a bunch of photos of the 3 younger boys together. So sweet! I could never get photos like that myself so it's totally worth it to me to pay for them.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 01:59 PM
 
Baby_Cakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 9,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes, right now plan for just you guys!  Super bummed but when he said no more trips, I know he meant it.  And I really want to move!  So.  Keep planning -- just before you book anything ask me one last time, ok?

 

What about these boots?  http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=37871&vid=1&pid=534016&scid=534016002


Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Baby_Cakes is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 02:08 PM
 
akind1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gabe is so rarely sick, trying to figure out what's wrong, and do I just leave him be, or push him to eat/drink? He's sleepy, running a low fever (guessing no more than 100; he won't hold still) doesn't want to eat or drink. Just says he's sad. Ugh. I am supposed to go into work tOmottow and don't want to leave DH with a sickie.

Carrie greensad.gif its several months away yet, you never know what may happen between now and then!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

akind1 is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the links for boots. I'm really looking for some soft-soled ones. I don't want anything to big and clunky. I doubt he could actually walk in anything like that. Everything is so expensive, too. I wouldn't mind spending $30-40 if they were going to be used for more than one baby but it's hard when I know they'll only be worn maybe a handful of times this one season.

I found these on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Molehill-Kids-Sno-Mocs-Silver-Toddler/dp/B001AZXWBS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1KCOZXHKZK4J6&coliid=I1YTQ6OK8I1LLS

http://www.amazon.com/Robeez-Soft-Soles-Lil-Snow/dp/B004UOTPKI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1KCOZXHKZK4J6&coliid=ING62AHR1YF59

The Robeez ones say 6-12 months but the measurements appear like they would fit Dylan's foot. Maybe I'm not measuring him correctly.

These are more like it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/320855221487?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I've sent a message to the seller asking if they have measurements because I'm not sure if I should get the 12-18 or 18-24 month size. Dylan will be 18 months in Januray and these would most likely be worn in January/February.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 02:39 PM
 
AnnieA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the link to the kellymom stuff akind1. That's pretty much what I've been doing already. I only give her 2 oz of BM in her bottle at a time so it's not too much on her stomach at once. Her milk is always room temp because it's what I've previously pumped and left out for her to drink. When I called the nurse yesterday morning, she was trying to convince me to not give her breastmilk. I just ignored her. She wasn't crying when she woke up from her nap so that was good. She did have a wet dipe but her urine was so concentrated that the dipe was yellow where she had peed. I was able to get her to eat a few noodles in broth and drink water as well as breastmilk. She was playing some and even laughed when she farted so I think she'll be ok. eyesroll.gif I'll reassess tonight when I get home from work. She's such a hard stick when she's hydrated, I can't imagine how it would be for them to try to start an IV when she's dehydrated. greensad.gif The nurse said that this virus is lasting a while so I'm going to keep trying to ride it out.
 


Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

AnnieA is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 02:44 PM
 
AnnieA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

My mom answered me. She said something about a timeshare that has up to 6 bedrooms, a couple fold out sofas and two living areas/kitchens. I think that's the one I told you all about initially that is across Ocean Blvd. so we'd have to drive to the beach. That probably wouldn't be a problem since they have shuttles and a private parking area with cabana across the street from the beach. Of course, it would probably be easier if we were right there but that's ok.
I think I prefer all of us being in the same place together. I really liked hanging out with everyone together. I felt a little left out having to go to my family unit to eat and whatnot. greensad.gif If we do get more than one unit, I would at least want the lock-off set up so the kids can wander back and forth without us having to take them out and around or whatever.

 

I'm good either way. I know what you mean about the two living spaces MW. There were times when it struck me that it felt kind of segregated but when it would occur to me, it was never the time to address it. The main thing that struck me about the condo I found was the smallish living room but if the bedrooms have TVs, then maybe the kids could watch TV in the bedrooms and we could just leave the living room for toys and hanging out. I remember one time when all the big kids were in your unit watching Sponge Bob and the grownups were in the other unit talking. If we only had one TV, then it would be kind of  hard to have convos while Patrick and Sponge Bob were having convos! lol.gif Also that condo would only have room for four families. I really want Baby_Cakes to be able to come too!


Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

AnnieA is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If there was only one TV in the living room and we were there talking, it wouldn't be on. I talked to the boys about that before we left. They always have the option of watching Netflix on the computer.

I really want Carrie to come, too. I wonder how long we can wait before booking something.

Why in the world would a nurse tell you to stop giving Ava breastmilk?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 03:13 PM
 
AnnieA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

If there was only one TV in the living room and we were there talking, it wouldn't be on. I talked to the boys about that before we left. They always have the option of watching Netflix on the computer.
I really want Carrie to come, too. I wonder how long we can wait before booking something.
Why in the world would a nurse tell you to stop giving Ava breastmilk?

 

She said something along the lines of milk being hard on the stomach. Which would be true if it were cow's milk but I specifically said breastmilk. She was also trying to make sure that I wasn't treating her fever if it was just a low-grade so I think they just have to deal with the lowest common denominator, you know? Ava's pedi and regular phone nurse knows that I wouldn't do something like that but this was a Sunday morning nurse.


Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

AnnieA is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, dairy is not good for an upset stomach. I guess that just goes to show how much misinformation there is about the different types of milk.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 04:01 PM
 
onetwoten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

The place my mom is talking is on the other side of the main road that goes all along the Grand Strand. I guess that's not Ocean Blvd. What's the main road there? Across the street from the beach is pretty much the same as on the beach but 14 stories up to me, relatively easy and quick walking distance. I think the place Annie linked to is in a building on the beach but maybe on an upper floor.
I don't want to spend much at all on the boots for Dylan. He'll probably only wear them a handful of times, if at all. There are for jic in snows here, which it may not at all. How much is 27 CAD in USD? I think those are way too big, anyway. The smallest is 155 mm while his feet are only about 115 mm.

Yeah agreed, if you can't walk out onto the beach, then it's no different from being across the street. Though the view was nice!

 

I think the US/CAD $ are almost on par right now. I thought the boots would be too big, but a friend just bought them for her daughter who is the same age as Dylan, and she said they were big enough to put a pair of thick socks on under and have a bit of room, but really not as big as you would think. Another friend whose daughter will be 2 in Jan, had to return hers and buy the mediums. 

 

But yeah, I get the conundrum of spending $30 on a pair of boots that may be worn only once or twice. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

Ava is still really sick! I'm trying not to freak out because I know it just needs to run its course but I just want to take her to the pedi and say make it better! She won't drink gatorade or coconut water. She keeps some milk down but then throws up other times. She hasn't had a wet dipe since I changed her at 5 AM. Still spiking fevers, sleeping a lot. I was able to get some noodles and chicken broth in her last night. If she wakes up before I go to work, I'll try that again. She took 2 oz of milk before she went to sleep about an hour ago and it's stayed down. She hasn't vomited since 5 AM so she's kept a total of 7 oz down. That's good, right?

:(  It sounds like form your next posts she's doing slightly better, but how scary!  Sick babies all over the place. Kat, I hope Gabe's passes quick! Ten is at the end of a sickness, but it's just runny nose and stuff up now, no fever or altered behavior or anything. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Thanks for the links for boots. I'm really looking for some soft-soled ones. I don't want anything to big and clunky. I doubt he could actually walk in anything like that. Everything is so expensive, too. I wouldn't mind spending $30-40 if they were going to be used for more than one baby but it's hard when I know they'll only be worn maybe a handful of times this one season.
I found these on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Molehill-Kids-Sno-Mocs-Silver-Toddler/dp/B001AZXWBS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1KCOZXHKZK4J6&coliid=I1YTQ6OK8I1LLS
http://www.amazon.com/Robeez-Soft-Soles-Lil-Snow/dp/B004UOTPKI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1KCOZXHKZK4J6&coliid=ING62AHR1YF59
The Robeez ones say 6-12 months but the measurements appear like they would fit Dylan's foot. Maybe I'm not measuring him correctly.
These are more like it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/320855221487?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
I've sent a message to the seller asking if they have measurements because I'm not sure if I should get the 12-18 or 18-24 month size. Dylan will be 18 months in Januray and these would most likely be worn in January/February.

FWIW, the socks you sent Tenley fit her approx the same as the 6-12m robeez she has, maybe a tiny bit smaller? I don't know if you tried those on Dylan or not before sending them. 

 

 

Spent almost 2 hours outside and took a bunch of pictures. I don't know if any of them are any good yet, but we'll see. 

 

 

For pictures here, the only thing like the JC Penny ones, are more similar quality to walmart. We've done them before, and they're... eh. I really want some good outdoors ones, but something in a nice studio would be ok too. I know a couple people who are in the beginning stages of their photog businesses, so I might ask them. 


Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

onetwoten is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwoten View Post

For pictures here, the only thing like the JC Penny ones, are more similar quality to walmart. We've done them before, and they're... eh. I really want some good outdoors ones, but something in a nice studio would be ok too. I know a couple people who are in the beginning stages of their photog businesses, so I might ask them. 

I think this really depends on the individual photographer. I had some photos done by an individual place and they weren't so great. I had some done at Sears and at one PictureMe Portraits (Walmart) that were crap. I went to this other PictureMe (a different Walmart) and have gotten really good ones every time. That's where I got those pg photos.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 05:29 PM
 
onetwoten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yeah the ones here (and I know lots of people that have done walmart ones) are more like... the school picture type. Choose a background, sit, smile, snap photo, that's it. It's very very basic. We used to have more options with stores that did them, but it's narrowed down a lot. 


Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

onetwoten is offline  
 

Tags
Boiron Oscillococcinum Natural Flu Relief 6 Pack With 6 Dose Bonus Pack 12 Total , Moms Medicine How To Protect Your Kids Husband And Parents Against More Than 100 Health Problems And , Family Budget Leads You Out Of Debt Save Money Mrr , Baby Markets Money And The New Politics Of Creating Families , Homeolab Usa Kids Relief Flu Ages 2 85 Fl Oz 25 Ml
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off