September 2012 Rockstar Mamas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 361 Old 09-02-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the Rockstar Mamas thread! Our wonderful group of mamas started following each other in the Charting to Avoid thread over in fertility. Eventually we created "The Whatever Ladies!", a safe place for those of us who were not trying to prevent pregnancy, though not actively trying to conceive either. Spread out over a year, we all got pregnant and had our current babes- several whom are over a year old now!

We made the decision to switch to Rockstar Mamas, after a conversation about how each and every one of us was a Rockstar in some way, for living and thriving through the parenting challenges thrown our way every day. Feel free to join us in our thread, but be warned, the conversation moves fast!

Not really rules but something to consider if you join:

1. Need to be chatty

2. Know that we are all vastly different from one another but we've become friends so we respect those differences. We are vaxers and nonvaxers; homeschoolers, unschoolers, public schoolers; run the gamut from vegan to paleo; some of us want more kids, some don't, and some aren't sure...but we all manage to really get along and come together on things we DO agree on.

3. Aren't afraid to ask each other the hard questions or point out the obvious when/if we want advice!

Member List:

lyeterae ~ Baby boy born February 2011
annie ~ Baby girl born April 7, 2011
Barefootscientist ~ Baby boy born May 30, 2011
AnnieA (due 7/18) ~ Baby girl born July 17, 2011
MarineWife (due 7/30) ~ Baby boy born July 25, 2011
Baby_Cakes (due 8/16) ~ Baby boy born August 16, 2011
MovingMomma (due 8/9) ~ Baby girl born August 18, 2011
akind1 (due 9/28) ~ Baby girl born October 11, 2011
mom2one (due 10/23) ~ Baby boy born October 21, 2011
jeninejessica (due 12/01) ~ Baby girl born November 29, 2011
Kindermama (due 1/6) ~ Baby boy born January 1, 2012

akind1 going around again ~ due 3/6/2013 but betting on 3/11 or 3/19
(I'm guessing another girl because our group is short one girl and we were right on 50/50 alternating boy/girl. winky.gif)

August Thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1359569/august-2012-rockstar-mamas

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#2 of 361 Old 09-02-2012, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the new thread!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#3 of 361 Old 09-02-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

my mom said the ticket place at williamsburg has the same discounts as online so maybe not so much pressure to get something before we go. the only thing holding me back from getting the triangle tickets now is that i don't want to feel obligated to rush out somewhere every day. i need some down time. if i buy the tickets, i'll feel like i should go. what to do? what to do?

i've had a couple people ask me about knitting some woolies for them. exciting but i have no idea how much to charge. i looked on HC and saw that people are charging $0.15-0.20 per yard for YYMN. That comes to about $30-60 for a small-large longies. i don't want to undercut others but i don't know if anyone will pay me that much.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#4 of 361 Old 09-02-2012, 03:09 PM

I neeeeeeeed the down time. The only activity I'm interested in doing is the stuff on Saturday and then I'm sitting on my butt (figuratively of course because Ava doesn't allow for that!) the rest of the time. Pool, playing, walking around the resort area. That's it. I need a break!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#5 of 361 Old 09-02-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I need down time, too. I just looked again and it's actually about $50 less if we buy single day tickets for each place rather than buying that package. So, we'll wait until we get there to get tickets to Jamestown and Yorktown if we decide to do that.

Sean has been making NC BBQ all day. It's almost ready and smells so good! I'm starving.

Anyone else going to a local Improving Birth rally tomorrow? I'm planning on going to the one here in Wilmington. Sean wrote my sign for me so all I have to do is color it in. I really need to get on that.

#6 of 361 Old 09-02-2012, 05:22 PM

Still getting the hang of forums+ tablet, but it's nice to see you all. :-) Not much going on here this weekend, we've all been sick.. I think we're over the worst of it, and the kids went to bed without meltdowns and they even had baths! The hubby and I have been watching Battlestar Galatica this weekend, ran out of free episodes on hulu though.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#7 of 361 Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the new thread!  I can't believe it's September!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

my mom said the ticket place at williamsburg has the same discounts as online so maybe not so much pressure to get something before we go. the only thing holding me back from getting the triangle tickets now is that i don't want to feel obligated to rush out somewhere every day. i need some down time. if i buy the tickets, i'll feel like i should go. what to do? what to do?
i've had a couple people ask me about knitting some woolies for them. exciting but i have no idea how much to charge. i looked on HC and saw that people are charging $0.15-0.20 per yard for YYMN. That comes to about $30-60 for a small-large longies. i don't want to undercut others but i don't know if anyone will pay me that much.

I think that's a fair price for wool.  

I'm about to sell some diapers and am hoping I price fairly.  It's so tricky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

I neeeeeeeed the down time. The only activity I'm interested in doing is the stuff on Saturday and then I'm sitting on my butt (figuratively of course because Ava doesn't allow for that!) the rest of the time. Pool, playing, walking around the resort area. That's it. I need a break!

That sounds good to me!  Ha!  I want to do CW on Sat with you, then probably Jamestown on Sunday.  Busch on Monday.  Chris says the amusement park crowd might be less on a weekday and that sounds about right to me.  I know for a fact jamestown will only be a half day thing, so we'll still have the rest of Sunday to hang out, swim, naps, etc.  I'm so excited!!

I think we'll leave the stroller home, tbh.  Every time we've brought the stroller along (disney, zoo) we've regretted it.  I'm bringing my Boba.

Sit on your butt!  At least for a bit!  You've got other mamas -- we'll help you out!!!

Lauri - I'm packing my pump for you, right?  Do you have medela accessories (bottles to pump into, your own flanges) or should I bring those as well?  What about bags?  Do you want to freeze/fridge any?  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyterae View Post

Still getting the hang of forums+ tablet, but it's nice to see you all. :-) Not much going on here this weekend, we've all been sick.. I think we're over the worst of it, and the kids went to bed without meltdowns and they even had baths! The hubby and I have been watching Battlestar Galatica this weekend, ran out of free episodes on hulu though.

Boooo to sick!!  Just went thru a week from hell here as well.  Stomach flu and then Nora had a fever/flu symptoms, and now Finn has a runny nose and cough.  

WHOOP  BSG!  Best show ever!!!  Do you have netflix streaming?  It's on there!!

I just started watching Dr Who.  I like it!  I don't know what all the fuss is about yet, but it's an ok show, lol!

Happy Labor Day!  Better go pack up all my white shorts.  winky.gif

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#8 of 361 Old 09-03-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

I've decided not to bring any of our big strollers. I'll bring some carriers and the umbrella stroller in case Kellen gets tired.

I thought you said Jamestown was a half day or you could easily do Jamestown and Yorktown in the same day. If we did that, we'd still have one full day to chill. We'll go to Jamestown with you all, too.

I had fun at the rally. I don't know if I got in any of the news reports. My sign had the word, "vaginal," which might be a bit to risque. lol.gif I got to see my 3 midwives. love.gif

we were sick, too. hope it passes quickly.

#9 of 361 Old 09-03-2012, 01:41 PM

Baby_Cakes, no need to bring your pump unless MW wants to use it while we are together to build up a bit of a freezer stash. You were wanting to try to donate some, right MW? I'm getting better at being able to go out for a few hours w/out having to take my pump and based on what we are doing on Saturday, I can just pump while we are at the condo. Did I tell you guys I killed ANOTHER pump? Good grief. Luckily, I found another local mama that hardly used her PISA and she sold it to me for $50. Hopefully this one will last until I wean.

Strollers, ugh, I don't know what to do. I can borrow an umbrella stroller from my mom but Ava has really started to like her stroller and I'd kind of like to encourage it. Plus, I use the stroller to carry my bag while we're out too. I'm bringing my Hotslings and my Bali Breeze.

I'm bringing toys and books for the babies and some toys for the older ones too. Oh and wine for the mamas! bag.gif

#10 of 361 Old 09-03-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the first news story of the Wilmington rally. http://www.wect.com/story/19443423/dozens-use-labor-day-to-promote-natural-birth#.UETtC993cOE.facebook

I was talking about buying an inexpensive manual pump to see if I could get some milk to donate. I've never pumped before so I don't know what brands are good. I don't want to spend a lot on an electric pump that I may not use much, if at all.

#11 of 361 Old 09-03-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Boooo to sick!!  Just went thru a week from hell here as well.  Stomach flu and then Nora had a fever/flu symptoms, and now Finn has a runny nose and cough.  

WHOOP  BSG!  Best show ever!!!  Do you have netflix streaming?  It's on there!!

I just started watching Dr Who.  I like it!  I don't know what all the fuss is about yet, but it's an ok show, lol!

Happy Labor Day!  Better go pack up all my white shorts.  winky.gif

Yea, I think we're finally all nearly recovered. I can't believe how long it took to go through the whole house. Hoping that's the end of it, it's just to bad we spent our last long weekend for awhile being sick. Seems like a waste!

I'll have to check and see if we want to go netflix or hulu+, we watched all we could for free. :) We haven't watched Dr.Who, my sister is obsessed with it though.

Quote:

I had fun at the rally. I don't know if I got in any of the news reports. My sign had the word, "vaginal," which might be a bit to risque. lol.gif I got to see my 3 midwives. love.gif
we were sick, too. hope it passes quickly.

The rally looked awesome, a friend of mine posted this link to some photos for one of the rally's :http://www.ashleylangford.com/1417/birth-photography/improving-birth-national-rally-for-change-arlington-texas/

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#12 of 361 Old 09-04-2012, 04:59 AM

I don't know that we had any rallys. it's great there was such good news coverage of yours MW.

manual pumps: I would go Avent - from local mamas recommendations, that is the best hand pump bar none. I used a lanisoh bc it was cheapest and I was not a big fan. I like electric, bc I don't have to think about keeping up the rhythm. You can find used ones (I know technically Medela PISA is not a closed system, but I inspected my used PISA and honestly couldn't figure out how milk could even theoretically get to the motor. And it's been used by the mama before me, and me for 2 kids, and hopefully will go another round. Granted, I don't give it the hard use a EP'er would (If I EP'd, I'd be using a hospital grade pump for sure. worth the $$) So, check craigslist, etc and see about a used electric pump. new tubing and horns, etc aren't that expensive.

Sunday night the kids were so beyond tired, they didn't go to bed until after midnight. I ended up having to wrap Norah and wear her down to sleep. But, once she was asleep, she slept for 5 hours straight!!! and then nursed and went back to sleep until Gabe woke us up whining at 7:15. Last night, DH put her down between 10:30 and 11, and she slept again until 5 a.m., nursed then and again at 6. those early morning nursing are all she's had (as in the only nursings) the last couple days. I am a little sad, but also so happy to be getting more sleep!

Strollers: If I were going (and I am so bummed that I'm not, you have no idea) I'd bring my Maclaren (umbrella ish stroller), my longest wrap jic I need to tandem wear, my ring sling and my SSC. All have good uses.  ITA, even if you got better discounts before going, wait to buy, you just never know what you might want to do when you get there, who might end up sick, or what the weather will do. Drink some good wine for me!

I am assuming this vacay will be a big hit, and I totally think we should repeat it. (and I will save $$ better next year so we can go too!)

Lyterae - it's good to see you on here, though I am glad for facebook too!

i hope everyone's families get well and stay well!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#13 of 361 Old 09-04-2012, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Those photos are great! My butt got in the local paper online. hehe

Nothing much going on here yet. It's still early. I love that Sean cleans but I get annoyed that he tries to involve me in it before I've had all my coffee.

#14 of 361 Old 09-04-2012, 06:46 AM

Hey MW, is there a washer/dryer for dipes at the resort in our suite?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#15 of 361 Old 09-04-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey MW, is there a washer/dryer for dipes at the resort in our suite?

Yes, there will be a washer/dryer in each unit. I got a big pack of flushable liners because I can't do the spatula again. DH said he could bring the sprayer but, eh.

Craigslist still creeps me out. I have never even searched for anything to buy there. I can look other places for a used electric pump, I guess. I'm not fully committed to pumping so I don't want to get too fancy/complicated about it.

The next vacation will have to be west and north so that JJ and little a can come. winky.gif

#16 of 361 Old 09-04-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

I am so stoked! I've been selling a bunch of my woolies like crazy. I just ordered 6 diapers with the money and still have money left over! It's pretty cool to have a PP balance.

#17 of 361 Old 09-04-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:

I am so stoked! I've been selling a bunch of my woolies like crazy. I just ordered 6 diapers with the money and still have money left over! It's pretty cool to have a PP balance.

Woo hoo!!!  That must feel awesome! 

And cool b/c you made them, you know?

Great news about the washing machine - for clothes too just in case.

Ooh wine! Does anyone else drink whiskey?  I'm going to bring some of that too, I think.  I'm so so so looking fwd to this trip! 

#18 of 361 Old 09-04-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Woo hoo!!!  That must feel awesome! 
And cool b/c you made them, you know?

Yeah, and I've had a couple people ask to "commission" me to make woolies for them and one person said I should run some knitting classes. DH is already drawing up my business plan. lol.gif He's so funny. Even with all the yarn I buy and knitting I've been doing for years and talking about other people selling things, he said he didn't realize there was such a market for it. eyesroll.gif
Quote:

Great news about the washing machine - for clothes too just in case.

Yes, for clothes, too. I think you'll need to bring your own detergent. They may supply one little box of Tide or something like that but I'm not sure.
Quote:

Ooh wine! Does anyone else drink whiskey?  I'm going to bring some of that too, I think.  I'm so so so looking fwd to this trip! 

DH would probably drink some whiskey. I might try a sip just because but I probably won't be able to drink it. I never have been. DH said he might be able to get some home brewed beer from someone he works with. The guy brews his own and enters and wins competitions so maybe it's really good (if you like beer).

#19 of 361 Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 PM

MW, that's awesome that your stuff is selling!

Baby_Cakes, I don't drink liquor but loooooove red wine so that's what I'm bringing!

akind1, You are doing so great with all of this. I can only imagine how tired you must be and yet you are still doing lots of fun activities with Gabe and Norah. You rock mama!

JJ, you doing ok?

AFM, DD signed "more" today. It was totally out of context so I think she was just practicing but it was still very cute! I hope there is a baby pool at the resort. She loves going in the water so much. We spend like 30 mins in the shower every day now. My mom is coming to take her to the children's museum tomorrow morning and give me a bit of a break. I need to do things like vacuum and clean the bathroom, stuff I can't do with Ava home but there's a big chance I'll sit on my butt and stare at the wall the whole time!

#20 of 361 Old 09-05-2012, 04:38 AM

AnnieA - the only way I stay sane is to get out of the house and do stuff! When I'm home, I don't interact much with them, because it's more fun to just sit back and watch them figure things out. Plus, I feel like I'm messing up their play if I join in. I will get down on the floor and let them climb all over me, or take DS to the pond to throw rocks, but I really like kid directed play. (plus maybe I am just lazy like that ;) )

You are all going to have a blast!

Maybe we could get a cabin in the mountains or something next year, or visit Amish country? Their stores sell lots of cloth diapers! (even bumgenius, which seems kind of not-Amish to me, but whatever)

MW: congrats on the sales! I need to get on the ball and sell some stuff. Ugh.

Well, by anybody's standards, I'm finally in the 2nd trimester! 14 weeks! woot! I think I may be showing a little. Hard to say, as I have a good bit of belly anyway.

Carrie, I was reading an article yesterday on Slate about judging animal conciousness, and how that should determine whether or not we eat meat (and also views on abortion) and it was interesting. I always did wonder though, I can understand why it would feel wrong to kill an animal, to deprive it of life, just to eat it - but what if the animal died of natural causes or in an accident? (granted, these days it would be just about impossible to know that) but would that hold the same level of wrong-ness? I just always wondered, since I don't really have a moral/ethical/whatever position on the subject. I just eat what tastes good :)

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#21 of 361 Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Kat ~ Yay for the 2nd trimester! joy.gif When are you going to tell everyone? It's getting harder and harder to not share pregnancy stuff on your Facebook. winky.gif

I don't know how you get out and do things so much, either. I have found that I interact with my kids more when we are out, too. At home everyone usually gets busy with their own things. That's good, though. That's because home is comfortable and safe. I have to watch/interact with them more out in public just to keep them safe. KWIM?

We've done so much the past few days that I feel like I don't know which way is up. I want to stay home today and do nothing but Ethan has baseball practice tonight. He had his first game, just a scrimmage, last night and his team won. He didn't get a run but that's ok. He's now all fired up to practice so he can hit the ball out of the park.

JJ ~ I woke up thinking about you, too. Hopefully, you're sleeping. smile.gif

Annie ~ I'd probably sit on my butt and stare at the walls, too. Whenever I'm totally kid free I have no idea what to do. lol.gif

I have to take this darn cat to the vet again. He now has a hole in his neck under his chin that is leaking foamy, pussy stuff. puke.gif I took him to the vet last week because he had what looked like a puncture wound in the same place that was healing up but a large hard ball had formed under the skin next to it. The vet shaved it and gave him a shot of abx. Now that large ball is gone but the puncture wound has opened up to a hole with gunk coming out of it.

This cat is going to break us. First, it was the wound on the back on his neck. We got him neutered, which the vet said would help with the fighting but doesn't seem to have. Then ringworm and now this. I think I've spent $500 on this cat in the last month.

Guess what we finally did that night! winky.gifwinky.gif, nudge, nudge. I still couldn't really care less but it seemed to make dh happy so whatever. Hopefully, that will last him a while because, honestly, I was tired and didn't feel like getting up to do anything after falling half asleep.

#22 of 361 Old 09-05-2012, 06:30 AM

Yay for DTD! and yeah, at least he is happy :) I hope that spills over into everyday life.

We did NOT DTD last night and DH was kind of grumpy about it. oh well.

You have no idea how hard it is for me not to say things! But DH really wants us to hold out until Norah's birthday. So that's 5 more weeks. There are very good reasons for it, but it's hard. I don't think either of our families will be totally over the moon about it, so by waiting to share in front of a bunch of people, in a celebratory setting, I think will make them at least put on a happy face for the moment and let it sink in a little before they start griping. Now if one of our mothers does ask before the day, I don't know that I'll be able to lie. (I've successfully sidestepped general questions about when we plan on a third - but a point blank, "are you pregnant?" is a bit tougher)

Poor kitty! Wonder if kitty would hold still to put some garlic oil in the wound? cheap stuff, that.

I am beyond tired today. Need a kick in the pants.

JJ: hope you are doing ok.

#23 of 361 Old 09-05-2012, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

We did NOT DTD last night and DH was kind of grumpy about it. oh well.

lol.gif

Hm...I don't know about putting garlic oil in the wound. I thought you weren't supposed to put anything on a puncture wound. It's literally a hole. I can see inside it. Well, I can see darkness inside it.

On a good note about the cat, I think he mainly fights with the cat next door and they are moving soon. lol.gif Funny to talk about being happy that a cat neighbor is moving.

#24 of 361 Old 09-05-2012, 07:35 AM

we stuffed medicated dressings (it looked like skinny tape) in puncture wound looking bedsores quite often in the hospital and nursing homes. . . .

from what I can tell (gotta love doctor google) oil based things like neosporin, etc and my bright idea of garlic oil, can impede healing, best thing to do is to frequently wash it out with some sort of antiseptic:

Bite wounds and claw wounds require special attention not only because they are likely to become infected (which interferes with healing), but also because if the body’s defenses (white blood cells and lymph nodes) are unable to overcome the bacteria, infection may spread from the original wound to the bloodstream. This may result in a septicemia (bacterial toxins in the blood) or a bacteremia (actual bacteria in the blood) and can sometimes eventually lead to death. Although puncture wounds are difficult to wash, you should make an attempt to clean them thoroughly whenever you notice any on your cat. Flushing a mild disinfectant into the wound under light pressure (with a eyedropper, turkey baster, or syringe) is one of the best home remedies because this action tends to wash debris out of the wound. Disinfectants that are used in veterinary hospitals and that you can buy there or in drugstores include 0.001% to 1% povidoneiodine (the more dilute solutions are actually more potent disinfectants and less damaging to healthy tissue), 0.55% chlorhexidine, and 0.125% to 0.5% sodium hypochlorite (one fourth to full strength Dakin’s solution), which can be made by diluting household bleach 1:10 to 1:40 with water. Flushing with hydrogen peroxide, once thought to be an effective wound treatment, has fallen into disfavor due to its weak antibacterial properties. Its foaming action is impressive but is best reserved for flushing debris or blood clots from a wound. If used, the concentration of hydrogen peroxide should never be more than 3%. Do not instill oil-based antibiotic wound ointments or those containing the local anesthetic benzocaine into the wound cavity as oily products may interfere with healing. Any benzocaine absorbed through the skin is toxic to red blood cells. If possible, antibiotics should be administered by a veterinarian from the start of treatment (within twenty-four hours of the bite) since bite wounds are so prone to infection. The biting cat (or other animal) should be investigated regarding the status of its rabies immunization.

The cat doesn't belong to the destructive neighbor boy, does it???

#25 of 361 Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of that. I think I have some povidone iodine and maybe some chlorhexidine (from my homebirth kit). I called the vet and one of the docs is going to call me back later today. The cat did get an abx shot so we are good there.

No, the fighting cat belongs to the neighbor on the other side of us. I'm not sure that's who my cat got in a fight with, bit or clawed by, if that's what it really is. That's just my guess based on the fact that that cat would come into our garage to eat our cat food if the door was open and the cats would hiss at each other. I've never actually seen or heard them fight.

#26 of 361 Old 09-05-2012, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

So, after finally dtd I am a total grump. What do you suppose that says about me? headscratch.gif

#27 of 361 Old 09-05-2012, 08:37 AM

Another site I read said that often the initial abx do not work, and they may need to culture the wound to be able to prescribe the most effective abx for that strain of bacteria.  (don't know if that was done initially or not)

I want to post on FB - but don't - about political stuff. Honestly I don't want to vote for either of the primary candidates LOL. I think we need a complete departure from the status quo, and I don't think either is capable of that. but I do like the e-cards you posted about making soap :)

#28 of 361 Old 09-05-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:

The next vacation will have to be west and north so that JJ and little a can come. winky.gif

Or tons South! LOL I would have a much easier time convincing DH if we were going somewhere tropical! However much more expensive. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

akind1, You are doing so great with all of this. I can only imagine how tired you must be and yet you are still doing lots of fun activities with Gabe and Norah. You rock mama!

AFM, DD signed "more" today. It was totally out of context so I think she was just practicing but it was still very cute! I hope there is a baby pool at the resort. She loves going in the water so much. We spend like 30 mins in the shower every day now. My mom is coming to take her to the children's museum tomorrow morning and give me a bit of a break. I need to do things like vacuum and clean the bathroom, stuff I can't do with Ava home but there's a big chance I'll sit on my butt and stare at the wall the whole time!

Yes! Man Kat, I can't imagine dealing with early pregnancy right now, let alone adding an older toddler into the mix as well! You really are a superstar!

Aww I love seeing them sign. I -think- Ten has started signing more by tapping her tray with the fingers of one hand (instead of tapping them together). 

Hopefully you get a chance to get some stuff done! I'll echo the sentiment of having stuff to do, but also just wanting to sit and enjoy the quiet! lol

Quote:
I don't know how you get out and do things so much, either. I have found that I interact with my kids more when we are out, too. At home everyone usually gets busy with their own things. That's good, though. That's because home is comfortable and safe. I have to watch/interact with them more out in public just to keep them safe. KWIM?
JJ ~ I woke up thinking about you, too. Hopefully, you're sleeping. smile.gif

Guess what we finally did that night! winky.gifwinky.gif, nudge, nudge. I still couldn't really care less but it seemed to make dh happy so whatever. Hopefully, that will last him a while because, honestly, I was tired and didn't feel like getting up to do anything after falling half asleep.

Yeah, I'm the same. I pay more attention to her one on one, rather than getting distracted. That's why we're trying to plan out one set activity every day. It helps me to feel more like I'm actually 'here for' her babyhood, rather than just passing it by. 

Yay for dtd! lol

I am doing better. Slowly, little, day by day. I think we've found a slow middle ground of effective sleep helping. She's not left to cry, but we are trying to put her in her crib earlier so she's associating it more with being able to relax herself to sleep. Last night she did a 3 hour stretch! The other ones were still every hour, but hey, one 3 hour is nothing to sneeze at. She's not as frantic to nurse every time she wakes either. And her daytime naps (once we get her down, which is still a struggle) have been on average an hour, without us having to go in and keep resettling her. She's been teething really heavily the past few months, so I think there's a good chance that once she comes through this, we're going to notice a bigger difference. 

Went to the wedding on Sunday, and it went really well. She was quiet throughout the ceremony, then we put her in the Boba and she had a nap during the cocktail and transition time, and woke up just as dinner started. She ate a bit, and then we danced and visited for awhile. Ended up going home at 1030pm, and she slept the whole way home, and then transitioned into her bed without waking up (which neevr happens!!) and then slept for another 45 minutes. That was nice. 

We got a lot done yesterday. We've been working on the basement, so we did a bit of that, plus did some running around and errands I've been waiting on for a week or so. I picked up another diaper I've been wanting, and got fabric to recover the glider. Plus we bought the material and finished the inside of our nightstand drawers, which I've been waiting on for a while. It was nice to feel like we wrapped up a bunch of stuff. DH also got to visit with one of his friends from medic school, whom he hasn't seen in a while, which I think was good for him. 

Anyways, so yes. I'm still tired as heck, but I think things are looking better. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#29 of 361 Old 09-05-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, further south and tropical, ok. Hm...somewhere with great SCUBA diving? The Cayman Islands? DH and Ryan are both certified and I have been once. Sean really likes to do that, although he hasn't in a really long time.

A 3 hour stretch of sleep is a big thing when you've been getting only 1 hour snatches here and there.

I saw the photo of you holding Tenley at the wedding. You looked very sexy, mama! Woohoo!

#30 of 361 Old 09-05-2012, 09:52 AM

Yes, the wedding pics look awesome!

I vote for either a cruise then, or somewhere in FL. I really don't want to take my whole crew, plus DH (who at 6 foot 6 and whatever he weighs) on a plane. misery compounded by more misery. I wonder how many of us it would take to qualify for a group rate on a cruise????

JJ: that is good sleep! I got 2 nights of good sleep (5 hour plus stretches!) then last night kind of sucked. But she's walking, and I think that that is both helping and not helping.

Tags
Boiron Oscillococcinum Natural Flu Relief 6 Pack With 6 Dose Bonus Pack 12 Total , Moms Medicine How To Protect Your Kids Husband And Parents Against More Than 100 Health Problems And , Family Budget Leads You Out Of Debt Save Money Mrr , Baby Markets Money And The New Politics Of Creating Families , Homeolab Usa Kids Relief Flu Ages 2 85 Fl Oz 25 Ml

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page