Four year old licking hands - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-19-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my almost 5 year old has been obsessively finger/hand licking.  Like every few seconds. He says they are dry but they don't seem to be and lotion doesn't help. 

He does not seem to be a particularly sensitive child but I am wondering if it is anxiety.

He hasn't been diagnosed but he seems to have some ADHD tendencies but so far has not have any issues in school. 

Every where on the web handlicking seems to be linked with special needs/OCD.  

Has anyone had a kid do this obsessively as a phase and it NOT be an indicator of issues?  Has anyone had this be the first indicator of greater issues to come?

#2 of 8 Old 09-21-2012, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

Hi, mama. I wanted to just write and give your post a bump and maybe suggest cross-posting (or linking this thread) in the Special Needs forum. If only because you're asking if this could be an indicator of ADHD or OCD. 

bump.gif

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 8 Old 09-23-2012, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

mama i had to write but i am not sure if this applies.

my friend's son was having a hard time, a REALLY hard time with his teacher and the structure in first grade. 

he developed a tick. a kind of a jerky sequence of winks.

his ticks come on when he has high anxiety. but not when he doesnt.

another one has the usual one of chewing on the collar and another chewing on hair. 

they are all related to anxiety. 

K, first and second were really high stress school years. 3rd, 4th and 5th are different with different issues. it seems there is something to kids dealing with things better as they age. 

i have no idea about OCD or what happens with special issues as they grow up. i know a child who picks on her eyebrows still and she is 12. her parents dont seek a diagnosis, but i think she has OCD because whenever she has a sleepover her bed just has to be perfect - she feels every wrinkle. other things also really get to her where she cant function unless she takes care of it. however i am sure had it impacted her life hugely - enough to have other kids tease her - i am sure her parents would seek help.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 8 Old 09-25-2012, 04:16 PM
A&A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It sounds like it could be a tic, which is just a word for an obsessively-repeated activity.  Tics can be temporary, then can come and go, new ones can develop, and they can, apparently, get a lot worse during puberty and then generally subside during adulthood.  Or, he could just have this one tic and never have another.  The possibilities are all over the map.  There is some overlap between OCD and tics (both are somewhat genetic), but they aren't necessarily the same disorder.  Be aware, though, that ADHD meds can make tics a lot worse, so I would never put a child with tics on them.  The meds for tics are heavy anti-psychotics that I wouldn't put my child on, either.

It's not necessarily related to anxiety, either.  And it's important to note that they can't control their tics much, if at all, so they shouldn't be shamed for the behavior.  In a way, it's like hiccuping.  It's just something the body does, whether you want it to or not.  

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#5 of 8 Old 09-30-2012, 05:11 AM

My son does this exact thing.  It started a couple of months ago.  He does fall into ADHD/Aspergers group (not diagnosed) but I know he is high functioning.  It is getting better with age.  He licks his hands very quickly and multiple times a day.  My son doesn't go to school so I don't worry about him being teased.  

#6 of 8 Old 09-30-2012, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My four year old does this. I attribute it to her still being basically in the oral stage. She likes using her tongue on pretty much whatever. Ok. Shrug.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#7 of 8 Old 10-03-2012, 09:06 PM

Maybe you can try giving him some substitute to lick with than his hand. And having her checked by drs maybe a great idea too so you will also be free from worrying.energy.gif

Living is great but being a MOM is even better

#8 of 8 Old 10-04-2012, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm at Disneyland right now. Every single line has had (at least one, often many) a parent saying, "Stop licking your hands." It's hilarious.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page