October 2012 Rockstar Mamas - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 385 Old 10-13-2012, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

oh god guys. I'm floating. 

Bed at 840ish, slept until 1240 (4 HOURS!) then was up at 140ish, and then woke up once more, I think it might have been around 4am? I don't remember. And then at 6am when she woke up, we brought her into bed, and she nursed a few times between 6-8 when she got out of bed. Oh, it feels so wonderful!!  Even the 1240 wakeup, she was like... barely awake. She nursed halfheartedly for maybe 2 minutes, and then I was very easily able to unlatch her and put her back. 

The funny part is, I actually did try to go to bed last night fairly early. I had my book and I was just reading until sleepy... and it was coming, so finally I just shut off the light anyways. That's when I tossed and turned for almost an hour, so I got up and grabbed the phone again to play on there for a bit.

Feeling SO hopeful about this! 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#152 of 385 Old 10-13-2012, 12:51 PM

I can see how leaving them longer would break down the material sooner. Happy to hear Ryan has stopped. I don't know how anyone affords it honestly. My friend was having trouble getting pg last year and one day she asked me if that could affect sperm quality. Turns out her DH was smoking EVERY day. Who has that kind of extra cash laying around? He stopped and the next cycle she was pg. Could have been a coincidence but who knows?

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#153 of 385 Old 10-13-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

JJ ~ I do that a lot, can't sleep when the kids are sleeping if it's out of the ordinary.

Annie ~ It wouldn't surprise me if that was more than coincidence after smoking every day.

The boys have a birthday party to go to tomorrow. It's at a big indoor amusement type place with bowling and arcade games and other stuff. That will get me out of the house for a few hours. Too bad it's with the family in my neighborhood that doesn't speak to me. lol.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#154 of 385 Old 10-13-2012, 08:10 PM

akind1, I can't wait to hear how the big reveal went! I love the pic of Norah that her doula posted!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#155 of 385 Old 10-14-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

akind1, I can't wait to hear how the big reveal went! I love the pic of Norah that her doula posted!

Ok I'm dying here too!! From your post, it sounds like maybe some people -weren't- that supportive? :(

Yeah, so two nights of great sleep, last night was sooooo bad! Like back to every 45 minutes. And we spent so much time outside and out with family, I thought for sure, she'd sleep well. We'll see how tonight goes. She's been up once, in about an hour and 40 minutes. I think it was a burp that wouldn't come out, because as soon as she burped, she passed out on my shoulder again. THe night Could go either way. 

Tomorrow we have to be up at 6am to drive DH to work, which should put us down for an early morning nap (we didn't have a morning nap today at all), and then we've got dr appt at 1130, and then busy afternoon of running around and a playdate. 

Got the floor laid in the laundry room tonight!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#156 of 385 Old 10-15-2012, 04:40 AM

Haha, so someone read between the lines of that one, LOL. yeah. MIL was PISSED. I think there may be permament damage. She told DH (not where I could hear her, but where I am certain other people could) that she thought she had raised him better than that, that she was disappointed in him, and that he was irresponsible, and how dare we bring another kid into the world, how can we afford to when we haven't repaid our debt to her? (on this last note, I asked DH what debt???? the last small loan he asked of her, he tried to pay back but she wouldn't let him) So, yeah. He's not speaking to her. And she's supposed to have Gabe this weekend, and asked (after her tirade!) whether she'd get him Friday or Saturday. He said, curtly, he'd let her know. Poor DH. If I had heard, I would have given her a piece of my mind, better that I didn't. We'll see how things go. There is no unsaying what was said.

Everyone else, was surprised. My parents (who we live with and see everyday) had NO idea. but everyone else also offered their congratulations. I am just glad to have it over with. My heart hurts for DH - he and his mom have always been close, and this is a very heavy blow.

JJ: Hooray for sleep! and Renovation!

It's my birthday today. I am going to be cleaning, potty training, and eating ice cream cake. Woot! 31.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#157 of 385 Old 10-15-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

I missed the drama on Facebook. I'd be done with my MIL if she said that.

I also missed Ethan's dental appointment today. It was at 12:10. I forgot all about it. That's why I usually make appointments after 2 pm. I'm just not ready to go anywhere before then.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#158 of 385 Old 10-15-2012, 10:33 AM

Uh, yeah, I'd be DONE as well.  I'm done w/family over wayyyy less offensive things.  That' just complete lack of support.  Idk.

I'm so happy you're getting lots of support and love from everyone else!  This is wonderful!!  I can't wait to see pics of Norah's party, too!

Busy busy busy here!  I'm glad I got the yard cleaned up b/c it's rainy out today.  Working inside today with a very stir crazy 4 year old and a whiny teething 1 year old!  So much tidying up to do.  So much.  Ugh.

My friend had her baby last night!  I'm so happy and excited for her and cannot WAIT to visit with them and see her baby.  She had an amazing natural water birth at the hospital and is just so in love.  Yay for new babies!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#159 of 385 Old 10-15-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

I keep forgetting about my diapering and bedtime dilemmas. Dylan hates to be changed and have a new diaper put on. It's so exhausting fighting with him about it. I've been letting him go without a diaper almost all the time at home but that is presenting problems, too. For one, I have to constantly clean up pee and poo messes all over the house. The pee is not much of a big deal but the poo is. When he falls asleep for a nap I have to try to get a waterproof pad down while holding him and not wake him. Tricky.

The other diapering issue is that he poos in his night time diaper every night right before we're ready to go to sleep. I think he does it on purpose. It doesn't matter if I put a diaper on him early and change him again right before bed or if I wait until bed to put the diaper on him. It doesn't matter if he just pooed. He'll poo again. It's getting really annoying because I have to get up out of bed when I'm half asleep to change him.

The other bedtime dilemma is that I don't know how to dress him for it. He kicks the covers off on purpose. Every time I cover him, he kicks them off again. He gets cold to the touch but won't keep the covers on. He hates footed sleepers, though. He screams and cries and pulls at them when I put them on him. Do you think he's not really too cold in just a diaper and t-shirt or onesie even if he feels cold to me?

#160 of 385 Old 10-15-2012, 11:52 AM

Dipes are a battle here too.  I have to change him on the changing table (I had to get the foam pad out, I hadn't been using it, just the floor) and I have to give him something to hold/play with or something, and even then it's a fight.  I dread changes!! DREAD!!!  And he always gets his hands down in there and gets poo all over and ugh, just ugh.  Can we potty train yet!?  

Hmm.  I'll put some thought into the pooping right before bed.  Hmm Hmm Hmm.

Finn took a 3 HOUR NAP today!  W/o a single peep or anything!  Love when that happens.  Making him some lunch now.  Got a bit of straightening up done while he was out, played actual blues clues with Nora, and made some crafts.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#161 of 385 Old 10-15-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

I still take Dylan to the toilet sometimes but he wants nothing to do with it. He likes to sit and climb on his potty on the floor but won't sit long enough to do any business in it.

Giving him something to hold/play with helps some, too. But, yeah, even then it's still a fight a lot of the time. He'll even run away when he sees me get a diaper. Then when I'm not looking he'll run up, grab the diaper and throw it. lol.gif

Luckily, Dylan hasn't gotten his hands in his diaper after pooping. He does reach and grab while being changed. DH gets so upset about that. It's kind of funny how scared he is of baby poo.

Oh, and on the cold thing, Ethan and Kellen both say they get cold without covers. I don't know how to keep Dylan covered without the sleepers but he won't settle when he has a sleeper on.

#162 of 385 Old 10-15-2012, 12:36 PM

If MIL and FIL lived separately, we would be done - at least for a while. But Gabe adores his granddaddy, and FIL is fine, so I can't mess with that relationship. *sigh* she texted me happy birthday this morning, like nothing was wrong (like DH wouldn't tell me about what she said. Well, she and FIL don't really talk ever, so maybe she thought he wouldn't???)  IDK . . .

Family drama. right before a boat load of family holidays. yay.

Diapers. Norah's not a fan, but if I let her run naked and clean from me once it's off, she usually will come back when I call her to get a fresh one. She just needs a spurt of mishief.
MW: I could be wrong, of course, but the answer might mean more diapers, not less - it's such a rare thing for him, if he's naked most of the time, that he rebels. Maybe if it happened more often as part of routine he'd get used to it? IDK. We do all changes on the floor. Only hard part is keeping Norah's hands out of Gabe's diaper during his change. The two of them always have a poop within minutes of each other. it's creepy.

Carrie: are you not partied out yet?? I am! but I still have one to go! need to get addressing and mailing those invites . . .yay.

pooping before bed - maybe it's a good time to start doing some EC? if you are up to/into that?

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#163 of 385 Old 10-15-2012, 03:28 PM

akind1, that totally stinks. I'm sorry you guys have this drama right now.

MW, I think I agree w/akind1. You probably need to do more dipe time, not less, to get him back in the habit so to speak. Or you could just do full out EC. Pooping before bed, that's an interesting one. I don't even think EC would help that since you say even if he poops a little earlier, he will still do it before bed. Maybe tell him it's a pain and that you'd prefer if he did it earlier? These kids understand a lot!

AFM, DH let Ava have dipe free time yesterday because she's got a bit of a rash. I have a little IKEA potty that I've been keeping in the living room in case she wants to try to pee. Apparently she peed on the carpet and after DH cleaned it up, he went in the bedroom. She went and sat on the IKEA potty, peed and then tried to drag it to the bathroom to dump in the big toilet like I do. biggrinbounce.gif Pee EVERYWHERE! At least DH has a sense of humor about it all!

#164 of 385 Old 10-16-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
 She went and sat on the IKEA potty, peed and then tried to drag it to the bathroom to dump in the big toilet like I do. biggrinbounce.gif Pee EVERYWHERE! At least DH has a sense of humor about it all!

lol.gif  Ava is just too much!!  Such a smart girl!!

I'm here reading but i'm running arond like crazy this week party planning.  I'm so excited!  I'm just hoping the weather holds out so we can use the bounce house outside.  I don't mind chilly just please no rain!!!!

I think I have everything.  Now I just have to start organize when I'm going to bake/make things and deep clean the house.  I'm not partied out! I got a 2nd wind!!!  And I'm going to need it b/c I'm going over the top again! LOL!

O/T I am really torn about this election cmoing up.  I think I may have convinced my MIL to vote libertarian, lol.  We got into such a heated convo on the ride to the baby shower and I convinced her if she wasn't happy with either candidate she didn't have to choose either one.  She'd never considered that option.

Obamacare scares me.  But you know what??  I can't stand Romney for other reasons.  I've never been so UGH about an election before!!!

ok - off to clean!  I'm around!

Kat - how was your bday?

Finn is starting to say phrases.  Whats that?  Whats this?  He even says "outside" and points out the window.  Yesterday I slept in a bit and Chris was watching the kids in the am.  My foot was hanging out of the covers and I was half awake.  Finn walks in, sees my foot, starts to tickle it and says, "TICKLE TICKLE TICKLE!"  It was the best way to wake up ever!

#165 of 385 Old 10-16-2012, 09:08 AM

Oh Lauri!! I told Rob about Ava and the potty and he laughed so hard. I can just imagine it! 

Carrie-- it's funny, because coming from obviously a totally different health care system, I can't imagine not having the universal coverage. Now that I have more friends in the states, every time I have to go to a doctor for something, I can't help but think how much it would cost them and it makes me choke. Even right now for instance, DH just got supplemental health coverage through his work. It's costing us about $140 a month. That seems INSANE to us, to pay that much. But it's 100% of our dental up to $900 a year I think, and then things like 100% of massage up to $800, and 100% of other "allied health" for an additional $400 (chiro, naturopath, etc), and then like $250 for vision, and a bunch of other stuff. So we figured it was worth it. But I can't imagine paying -more- than that in insurance for normal visits, etc. I know it's totally different when you've lived your whole life like that though, and I know that there are people here in Canada who have not been as lucky as I have with being able to get timely care. 

On a side note- we did the calculations, and we can each (including Tenley! I'm totally taking her for baby massage and craniosacral therapy!) get a massage every 6 weeks or so, and have it be totally covered. I am so excited to take advantage of that, and the chiro again. I booked a massage for the spa Nov10th, and DH and I are going to do a fancy date-day, and then I'll find a normal massage practice after that, but my gosh, I need that spa day SO badly! 

So... Tenley had two great nights, and then two crappy nights, but she's obviously on the upswing. It feels like something in her brain finally clicked, and I can see the difference in how she's sleeping. She's crying out, but only like once, and then rolling over and going back to sleep before we can even do anything. Last night we put her to bed at 8, she slept until 930ish (1.5 hours), and then slept until 12 (2.5 hours), and then slept from 12 until almost 5:45am !!!! (5 hours 45 minutes!!) She has only done that I think twice before, and not in months and months. It felt SO amazing! 

#166 of 385 Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 AM

I hear you.  But then look at the trouble you had getting homebirth mw!   I'd just rather the federal gov't stay out of personal health care, and rather let the individual decide what plan and coverage he/she needs.  It seems so nice that you don't have to pay for it, or that it's offered to you on a grand scale -- but then they also tell you what is covered, who can and can't be covered, who you can and can't see.  I don't like it.  It makes me feel very uncomfortable.  Idk.  I have to read more.  

This is what I'm doing til midnight and why I'm so tired!!  Reading about healthcare!!  LOL!!

Yay for sleep!!!

How much do you think is training and how much do you think is age?  I'm curious.  

Last night Finn nursed down at 9, and then woke again at 11:15 or so.  I nursed him down and then fell asleep and he woke up AGAIN at 1230.  I was like no.  Uh -uh.  My nips were tired and sore and I was so tired.  I got up, tried rocking, shushing -- the whole time he's LOUD wailing in my arms, throwing his head back, the whole nine.  I did that for one minute.  I was firm.  I just said, "Sleepytime.  Bed time." and lay down with him with him on his tummy.  He kept crying for one more minute (I looked at my watch) while I rubbed his back, then he settled and was snoring.  

I never would have done that with Nora.  I never would have let her fuss like that.  And he's LOUD!! Idk why all of a sudden I'm ok with it, but I am.  I don't feel like he's that stressed or hungry, I really just think he's mad.  And if I can comfort him thru being mad so that he can fall asleep, I'm ok with that.

He woke one more time thru the night and then again at 630.  Both those times I nursed.  I need to come up with a better game plan if this nightweaning is really going to actually work. 

#167 of 385 Old 10-16-2012, 11:24 AM

Carrie: i am the same way about this election. Having experienced "universal" coverage through the military, there is no way in hell I want that on a grand scale.
Our family coverage is wicked expensive. It's good, but, man. If I didnf have kids, I would drop it and pay out of pocket in a heartbeat.

Jj, yay for the upswing!

Birthday was ok. Boring, but I got a little spending money, and that's nice.

I am entering the pregnancy phase of being hungry all the time, but still unable to eat much at once.

#168 of 385 Old 10-16-2012, 02:19 PM

Ugh, I don't even want to vote this election.

Good luck w/the rest of the party planning Baby_Cakes! I hope the rain holds off.

JJ, I'm glad you guys are getting more sleep! It's a gradual process but soon, you'll be on the other side. I promise!

AFM, O pains yesterday and CM drying up today so I'm pretty sure O was yesterday. I think we're safe then. That would put O at CD 14.

Oh, Ava tried to say my mom's dog's name today! It was so cute! His name is Zorro so she said "ZoZo". love.gif

#169 of 385 Old 10-16-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I hear you.  But then look at the trouble you had getting homebirth mw!   I'd just rather the federal gov't stay out of personal health care, and rather let the individual decide what plan and coverage he/she needs.  It seems so nice that you don't have to pay for it, or that it's offered to you on a grand scale -- but then they also tell you what is covered, who can and can't be covered, who you can and can't see.  I don't like it.  It makes me feel very uncomfortable.  Idk.  I have to read more.  

This is what I'm doing til midnight and why I'm so tired!!  Reading about healthcare!!  LOL!!

Yay for sleep!!!

How much do you think is training and how much do you think is age?  I'm curious.  

Last night Finn nursed down at 9, and then woke again at 11:15 or so.  I nursed him down and then fell asleep and he woke up AGAIN at 1230.  I was like no.  Uh -uh.  My nips were tired and sore and I was so tired.  I got up, tried rocking, shushing -- the whole time he's LOUD wailing in my arms, throwing his head back, the whole nine.  I did that for one minute.  I was firm.  I just said, "Sleepytime.  Bed time." and lay down with him with him on his tummy.  He kept crying for one more minute (I looked at my watch) while I rubbed his back, then he settled and was snoring.  

I never would have done that with Nora.  I never would have let her fuss like that.  And he's LOUD!! Idk why all of a sudden I'm ok with it, but I am.  I don't feel like he's that stressed or hungry, I really just think he's mad.  And if I can comfort him thru being mad so that he can fall asleep, I'm ok with that.

He woke one more time thru the night and then again at 630.  Both those times I nursed.  I need to come up with a better game plan if this nightweaning is really going to actually work. 

True, I guess what they're trying to implement there is different than here-- there's no criteria, it's just -everybody- has the same coverage, and since it's totally universal, all the doctors are 'covered'. I think alberta does the two tier thing- where if you can pay, then you get to pay and see different doctors, but with the way ours is here, you don't have the problem with wanting to see a doctor who isn't covered.  Our midwife problem is a totally different issue-- the province keeps trying to hire more, but nobody wants to come to manitoba. I can't blame them! lol

The sleep thing-- I think it's a combination. We haven't done really any more sleep work in weeks, other than the initial helping her figure out how to fall asleep in her own bed once she's settled and sleepy. I think she's just finally at a point where she can use that now. She was trying before, and you could -see- her getting upset when she couldn't fall asleep, and now it just seems like she's able to use those tools.  What you describe with Finn last night is so much like it was like with Ten. There were times where -yes- you could tell she was hurt or sad or lonely or in pain... but there were also times when she just... didn't want to sleep, or couldn't fall asleep, even though she was obviously tired. Those times, I'm comfortable staying with her, so she knows I'm there, but also telling her that it IS sleep time, and helping her find ways to go to sleep. And we still do that- she's gotten tons better at falling asleep, and will often fall asleep nursing again, within only a few minutes, but if we've nursed for a long time, and she's sleepy but still not closing her eyes- I'll hug her tight, and then tell her it's time for bed, put her in her crib and sit there reading or something until she falls asleep. Sometimes she stands up and yells at me, sometimes she plays for 45 minutes, and sometimes she'll calm instantly if I rub her back for a few minutes. But it's so much better than it used to be- where if she wasn't falling asleep in my arms, I would try ot put her down and she would just shriek uncontrollably. Even in my arms half the time she was fighting it. It's like she has a better understanding know of "Oh, it's sleep time, ok. Well I'll close my eyes, and hum or talk to myself, and I can look up and see if my mom is still here... oh ok, she is. I'm going to try to get comfortable and see if I can figure this sleep thing out."  Whereas before it was just "WTF Mommy put me down? SCREAMMMMMM!"   

ok anyways, I've been interrupted like 6 times writing that, so I'm sure it's very disjointed. 

Quote:

AFM, O pains yesterday and CM drying up today so I'm pretty sure O was yesterday. I think we're safe then. That would put O at CD 14.

Oh, Ava tried to say my mom's dog's name today! It was so cute! His name is Zorro so she said "ZoZo". love.gif

That's good news!  

And so cute!! I love their little attempts at words!

So without going into a discussion, because I love you guys too much to get into a tense fight over it... Where do you guys stand on the pro choice/ pro life decision? It's been in the local news here a lot lately, and I've just found it's so funny, people who lean ways you wouldn't have expected. Just curious I guess. 

#170 of 385 Old 10-16-2012, 05:27 PM

I believe that life begins at conception. As such, I could never willingly end a life. I would prefer to see funds used to support women that find themselves with unintended pregnancies rather than funding procedures to kill the babies. That's where I stand.

Oh I forgot to tell you guys, Ava signed "hurt" today! Whatever teeth she's working on are really giving her hell. Lots of runny, teething poops and she practically moans in relief when I give her ibuprofen. I feel so bad for her but she won't keep her amber necklace on. Her regular babysitter had her baby last week so we're going over on Friday morning to meet the new baby! Yay!

#171 of 385 Old 10-16-2012, 05:31 PM

I am pro life, in the sense that I believe terminating a life is wrong. However, I know women have been terminating pregnancies for a very long time. I think making it illegal will only send it (back) underground, and then it becomes a dangerous and riskier procedure. Then we risk 2 lives instead of one, and that's not an improvement. I very much agree with the pro choice sentiment for abortion to be safe, legal, and rare. We need to focus on pregnancy prevention.
Then there are so many fine lines to draw, like with high order multiples and selective reduction. I just see too many shades of gray to make a blanket statement.

I'm mobile or I'd respond more.

#172 of 385 Old 10-16-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

I'd keep Dylan in a diaper except that he keeps getting a nasty rash. I've actually been thinking that I may have to take him to the doctor because it won't completely go away. He gets better after a few days without a diaper but as soon as I put one on him it comes back. greensad.gif

I think Dylan completely slept through the night last night! I'm afraid to acknowledge or admit it because I don't want to find I've deluded myself. lol.gif I put a sleeper on him so maybe that helped.

#173 of 385 Old 10-16-2012, 09:04 PM

Mw did you strip your dipes? Finn was getting hives on his belly. Stripping was my only option. Lol. Took 2 days!!

I'm pro choice. I just can't see government defining when life begins and declaring laws about that. I think it's personal. I think women are capable of deciding what's best for themselves, for the most part. In any case, I don't think either candidate is worthy of making the choice for all women.

I see what you're saying, jj. That is slightly different.

Oh Chris says ok to myrtle beach btw! I mentioned it and he says we can go!! Woo hoo!!!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

#174 of 385 Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 PM

WOOHOOO!!!! Yay Baby_Cakes! Best news I've heard all week!

#175 of 385 Old 10-17-2012, 04:08 AM

Carrie: woot! that is exciting stuff! So glad you can come, now we just have to pick dates, etc! I need a vacation.

MW: yay for STTN! that is fantastic. I think it miht be sleeper, might be age. who knows? TAKE IT. and fx for many repeats!

Diaper rash. I think I need to do a serious strip. maybe. Norah had a raised red rash on just on her front bits - not on her butt at all - put her in disposables and thick diaper cream for a few days, and now she still has a rash, but now it's not raised, and it's just sort of speckled. regardless of cloth or disposables or diaper cream. thoughts?  She really hasn't eaten anything new.

AFU: I am 20 weeks today! 1/2 way through! 3 weeks and 1 day and we know the gender, I can't wait!

I know by a lot of pro-life circles, I'd be considered pro-choice - given that I don't want to make abortion illegal, etc. I can't define myself as pro-choice though, because I don't really believe that it is a woman's right to choose. However, women are going to make that choice regardless, so I think it's best we make it as safe as possible. (it's kind of how I feel about marijuana. I don't want to smoke it, and I don't really want anyone I love smoking it either. HOWEVER, I don't see the need to make it illegal, I'd rather it be legal, more easily regulated, etc - because people are going to smoke it - or bake it into brownies, or whatever)

And as to whether I think the government should be making that call, as to the legality or not, I really think it's outside of their scope. Seriously. The personhood amendments and all that freak me out (and I'm nominally Pro Life!) It's too much interference. If you look back at the history of abortion, it wasn't illegal until the men in government realized what women were doing. And then they got offended. (because obviously, a woman would only choose to end a pregnancy if it was caused by someone other than her husband SMH) IIRC, that was sometime in the mid to late 1800's. But women have been ending (or trying to end) pregnancies for probably the whole history of humanity. When I did a speech on this in college, there was a city in Northern Africa that was known for growing an effective abortifacient plant, so effective it was on their coinage, but that plant is now extinct, likely due to overuse. I think it should be a personal decision, certainly. From what I've read, late term terminations of healthy pregnancies are very, very rare (usually there is something very wrong with the baby) - But those are the hardest for me to swallow. If you have carried a pregnancy to viability, and by all accounts it's healthy, but don't want to raise it, let the baby be adopted.

I also have a beef with child support. I think men should support the children they help conceive, especially if conceived in a commited relationship, but should a man be on the hook for 18 years for a one night stand (especially since it is perfectly legal for the woman to terminate that same pregnancy without his knowledge?) That just sort of bugs me.

Sorry for the sort of rant. But it's a topic that I've done a lot of thought on.

#176 of 385 Old 10-17-2012, 04:39 AM

You raise a lot of good points, there, Kat.  

My big thing is that while I personally wouldn't choose abortion (i think) for myself, it really depends on so many variables, and I like being able to think about it myself, and come up with what I believe would be right.  I don't think it's fair that a bunch of stuffy old men sit around and think they can decide what is and isn't a "good reason" for an abortion or where they think life begins.  Isn't that up to me and my beliefs and what i feel is morally right?  Idk.  It's a slippery slope.  It's not like Im pro abortion (who is???) but I'm definitely anti - government being involved.  

I'm with you too on the legality of drugs.  The whole drug war just needs to end.  Gary Johnson 2012 people!!  LOL!!

#177 of 385 Old 10-17-2012, 06:34 AM

Oh, I agree. I don't think I'd choose it for myself under nearly all the circumstances I can think of (now if a baby I was carrying I know would be born dead, or not live long, I don't think I could carry that pregancy to term. That's about the only case where I just couldn't see another option)

Do I think even I, a sympathic female, should be making that choice for every woman? no. It's intensely personal decision. I wish the government could butt out of some areas (okay, a LOT of areas) and focus on areas that they could be making some really good changes. On, oh, I don't know . . . how about maternity leave? paid FMLA? something???

I am hoping for cooler weather, but it's still nearly 80 degrees all week.

#178 of 385 Old 10-17-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

I think that, if anyone does not want to have to take care of a child, they should not have sex, male or female. Period! Simple! Of course, people won't do that but then that's the risk they take. And, of course, there are all kinds of birth control options that make the likelihood of a pregnancy much less. It's still a risk, though. I think we, as a society, need to do more to support parents and children rather than paying for unnecessary medical procedures. But, I also think that it shouldn't be up to the government to regulate reproduction.

I have stripped my diapers many times. I've also been treating them for yeast. I've been trying to treat his rash naturally and it's just not working. I'm going to try the nystatin/antibacterial cream I have for a week. If it still comes back, I'll take him to the doctor. Honestly, I'm scared to take him to the doctor because he's intact. I don't feel like having to fight with the doc about not retracting his foreskin, which I've had to do every time I've taken him or Kellen to the doc for anything like this or even just a check up.

#179 of 385 Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 AM

Did you ask on the circ forum?  They know so much about all kinds of rashes and oddities that might crop up.  I'd start there if you dont find anything on google.  I'm thinking if it isn't raised, crusty and red/swollen it probably isn't yeast.  

Oh and yes!  I def think they need to work more on getting care for kids that are HERE and helping moms stay home with them or at least stay home for awhile.  It's redic that there is so much push for having every child all women get pg with, but then just saying oh well, go back to work right away, who cares who raises them?

I'm so beat!  We've been staying up late the past few nights and while Finn is sleeping OK getting up early in addition stinks.  Yawn.

#180 of 385 Old 10-17-2012, 09:00 AM

MW: here is drmomma.org's list of foreskin friendly docs. I think the nearest to you is New Bern . . . http://www.drmomma.org/2007/01/foreskin-friendly-physicians.html I am happy to see our current pediatrician is on the (short) list for SC. We love our pediatric practice. wait is long, but they are so wonderfully crunchy. (pro-breastfeeding, extended breastfeeding, tandem nursing, babywearing and intact friendly. And flexible about vaccines)

Carrie - there just isn't enough coffee, is there? hope maybe you get an early bedtime or a rest with Finn.

Tags
Taking Charge Of Your Fertility The Definitive Guide To Natural Birth Control Pregnancy Achievement , Taking Charge Of Your Fertility 10th Anniversary Edition The Definitive Guide To Natural Birth Contr , Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page