Mothering Forum banner

Are you doing anything new with your children in the new year?

3K views 65 replies 12 participants last post by  HappyHappyMommy 
#1 ·
joy.gif
Ah ha! You've found it...The ROVING Holiday Helper thread! "
joy.gif

Perhaps you've heard about a little program we have here at MDC called the Holiday Helper Program? Since 2003, MDC members have been reaching out to each other around the holidays to make sure that families in need (FINs), here at MDC, get the chance to celebrate the season as well.

Want to help a Family in Need?

Here are some ways to help:

1. Make a list of what you have available. Gently used toys or books or clothes? Are you willing to go shopping to pick out a special gift for a young child or another mama? Check the "Master Needs List" or the individual family profiles in the Families in Need forum. if you have items to offer that don't appear on the "Master Needs List," please make a post listing the items in the "I Have Available" thread. Items provided may be new or used; gently used items are very welcome as long as they are in good condition.

2. Spread the word about that the Holiday Helper Program. Some ways to do that:

• Post and suggest a title for this thread. Something intriguing, something outrageous, something funny, something that pique your interest and make you open the thread. We will rotate thread thread as we move this thread from forum to forum. We want to generate interest in this thread.

• Bump up this thread.

• Add the Holiday Helper smile to your signature:
    hh2.gif

More information is posted in the Holiday Helper forum; check it out!

rocks.jpg

See less See more
#28 ·
All I could think was, "Oh, I don't think I've ever cleaned a ceiling. Isn't that where the spiders are supposed to live?"
lol.gif

I love the Holiday Helper roving thread! We need more crazy thread titles and we need more help! I know it'll pick up after Thanksgiving though.

We've got 26 families that need your help to have a happy holiday. Remember, even if you don't see something in the Master Needs List or the Family In Need threads, you can still post to the I Have Available thread. Just because it's not on someone's list, doesn't mean they couldn't use it! hh2.gif. Also you can pair up with other members to donate towards a gift or a gift card for a family or get your church group or homeschool group or play group sponser a family. There are so many wonderful amazing ways to help out during this season, and trust me when I tell you how wonderful it will make both the family and you feel!

#30 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post
I've almost got my first package ready to send for HH. Join in!
Yay! Every package, every contribution of any kind (time, items, bumping up this thread) makes a difference! For example, passing along a gently used item is wonderful not just for the family that receives the item, but also for the earth because items find another home. And if you've been looking for a reason to declutter or organize, this is a great one!

Join in to HH!
joy.gif

#32 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post

All I could think was, "Oh, I don't think I've ever cleaned a ceiling. Isn't that where the spiders are supposed to live?"
lol.gif

I love the Holiday Helper roving thread! We need more crazy thread titles and we need more help! I know it'll pick up after Thanksgiving though.

We've got 26 families that need your help to have a happy holiday. Remember, even if you don't see something in the Master Needs List or the Family In Need threads, you can still post to the I Have Available thread. Just because it's not on someone's list, doesn't mean they couldn't use it! hh2.gif. Also you can pair up with other members to donate towards a gift or a gift card for a family or get your church group or homeschool group or play group sponser a family. There are so many wonderful amazing ways to help out during this season, and trust me when I tell you how wonderful it will make both the family and you feel!
Our "I Have Available Thread" is very sad and lonely. :( Gently used items are very very welcome and needed, so if you have something that your kids have outgrown and it's still in good shape, I'm sure we can find a home for it. Books you've read and loved, but just don't have room for? Pet that you've gotten bored with and you want a new one? Ok, that was just a joke! But you get the idea! It's new to someone and could make a big difference. :)

#33 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post
Our "I Have Available Thread" is very sad and lonely. :( Gently used items are very very welcome and needed, so if you have something that your kids have outgrown and it's still in good shape, I'm sure we can find a home for it. Books you've read and loved, but just don't have room for? Pet that you've gotten bored with and you want a new one? Ok, that was just a joke! But you get the idea! It's new to someone and could make a big difference. :)
When my DD was born, the best things I got were gently used clothes, books, and toys for neighbors; they were in great shape and I knew they had been kid-and-parent-tested-and-approved! This weekend I was going through my closet, but I know there are some clothes that I just don't wear (like a top that I love, but it just doesn't fit my chest size and no matter how long I leave it hanging in my closet, it's never going to fit my chest size!); anyone else like me? If so, you might have some adult clothing to offer!

#37 ·
Oh, I like this one!
lol.gif
We really should keep a record somewhere of all the "Gotcha" thread titles. Then I could see ones that I missed!

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. If you're wondering about why we love HH, come on over and check out the Thank You thread. It will melt your heart.

#42 ·
Please check out the Master Needs List; gently used books, clothes, and toys would help us meet lots of families' needs! Or if you'd like to quickly send a gift, a gift card is a great way to contribute? Or perhaps you are feeling creative and would like to make something? There are lots of ways to help spread the joy. Check out the Holiday Helper forum for more details.

And please help by bumping up this thread! Last but not least, suggestion title for the thread are always welcome!

#50 ·
I just have to say that I am so thrilled with the amazing Holiday Helpers out there who have donated to our FINs.
love.gif
My kids have come to realize that every time they hear a "Woohoo!" yelled from the other room, that another match between and Holiday Helper and a Family in Need has been made. I have never been happier to open MDC to realize I've got 20 PMs! So keep 'em coming! (You can probably tell how excited I am by all the !!!!)
biggrinbounce.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.