webcams & kids - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-14-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need another perspective!  Should we get a webcam or not?

Honestly, DP & I both really don't want one & have no immediate use for one.  The only thing we would use it for is to talk/see DP's sister, who lives far from us.  She really wants us to have one so she can see our kids more often than when she visits.

My first reaction was no, but now I'm starting to wonder if my reasons are valid & if we should just get one.  The reasons I don't want one are mostly about child safety.  I know that predators can trick kids into forming relationships using webcams & I would like to avoid that all together.  However, our main computer is in our family room, so no privacy.  Also, our children are young - 3.5yrs & 4mos, so they wouldn't be using it alone now.  If we got the webcam, it would be unplugged when not in use & we would use all the safety features available through Skype & our computer (firewall, passwords, etc).

I guess I'm not really concerned about an immediate danger, but I fear that introducing it & having it could be dangerous later.  Am I being too paranoid?  Also, I know that this is not a new technology & that it is & will be everywhere as the kids get older.  Eventually, they will probably have their own webcams as they could be standard issue with every phone/computer.  So, should I just get over my fear & go for it since it's everywhere?

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#2 of 8 Old 11-14-2012, 06:19 PM

My kids (6 & 7) Skype with their grandparents all the time and just finished Skyping with daddy who's on a business trip. I wouldn't let a teenager have one in her bedroom, but I see no issue with having one on the family computer.
#3 of 8 Old 11-14-2012, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

gently i say mama. yes you are being too paranoid. however i dont blame you for all the fear mongering that's present in media. 

i tell you these children come out of the womb understanding technology to a level i couldnt even imagine to grasp at their age. 

i mean even now isnt the webcam kinda a 'on its way out' technology, as more and more people choose laptops over desktops. in fact i think laptops are on their way out too. tablets are gonna replace them.

teach your kids safety. that is a given. teach them from now itself - your 3 year old and they will develop an intuition for what is safe adn what is not. 

i think its far more important for your kids to know their aunt than to worry about what could happen in future. 

we've been using ours since dd was your older child's age to keep in touch with her cousins and family. of course now its more chat and texting and less talking - at 10. 

Subhuti likes this.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 8 Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. We also use Skype to have video chat with family. You can keep the computer in a public place and watch them as they use it. At a certain point as they get older you do have to teach and then trust. As scary as it is we do lose total control as they mature. I think you won't be so afraid of it as they are older and you see they are mature and sensible.

Webcams have a bad reputation. But at least in our family they are wonderful ways to connect. And every device now has one. Tonight we were able to have dinner with daddy via Skype. He ate at a diner near work and Facetimed us via our phones while we had noodles at home. It made the bummer of his not being home much easier.

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#5 of 8 Old 11-19-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumooned View Post
I guess I'm not really concerned about an immediate danger, but I fear that introducing it & having it could be dangerous later.  Am I being too paranoid?  Also, I know that this is not a new technology & that it is & will be everywhere as the kids get older.  Eventually, they will probably have their own webcams as they could be standard issue with every phone/computer.  So, should I just get over my fear & go for it since it's everywhere?

It is up to you.

I don't think it is something to be afraid of having in your home.  A few simple precautions like a password on the computer and it shouldn't be a problem. 

We don't use a web cam but it is lack of interest not fear.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#6 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry to  not reply for so long - thank you all for the input.

We have one now & have used it twice.  I don't like it & DS doesn't "get" it.  But, we'll keep it & use it when their aunt wants to see them.  It's fine, I guess!

I knew I was being too paranoid.  It's tough, though, when you start googling & all sorts of scary stuff pops up!  I will teach my kids safety & try to think about it realistically. :)

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#7 of 8 Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

blumooned if you all are using the webcam just as a telephone call with a visual - it aint any fun. esp. for  your son. 

we have family and friends all over. skype has added so much more to dd's conversation. she has been read to from a picture book. she runs and graabs things to show (at your son's age). of course it matters that the person IS interested in dd and does other things apart from just talking. like one of dd's cousins who would call when she was making pancakes or waffles and show dd and goof off too. dd at 3 loved, loved cooking pancakes but refused to eat them. 

with the young folks - even kids - they knew exactly how to 'be' in front of skype. it took me a while to figure that out. 

it might not be a fun conversation if one just stares at each other. 

if you havent done it yet, why not share ds's favourite toys to show aunt. 

and oh yeah - as a kid you are so surrounded at all these horrible stuff around. but you know by the time your child grows a little older you discover you cant really live your life in fear, esp. since your kid would pick that fear right up from you. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#8 of 8 Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I live abroad and my family lives thousands of miles away and sees my son less than once a year. Skype is a lifesaver. My son wouldn't even know who his American aunts, uncles and grandparents were (he's only 2.5) if it weren't for webcams. In this day and age it is crucial that we educate and monitor what our kids are dong online, webcams or no webcams. There are lots of resources for you to help raise web-savvy smart kids. You can do it!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page