Things our parents did to us... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was cleaning out an old box and found my mom's calendar from 1973, the year I was born.

She started me on solids (rice cereal) when I was EIGHT DAYS OLD!

bigeyes.gif

I think fruit at 4 weeks, and vegetables at 8 weeks.  My how times have changed!

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 11:21 AM

I was in a lap belt(not a booster.. just in the regular car seat) by the time I was 1 o.o My 4 year old is still RFing haha

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

Old 11-20-2012, 11:53 AM

We didn't even know where the seat belts were in the back seat!

I was born very anemic, and iron supplementing didn't help, so my mother was told to cook liver, grind it small (or maybe grind, then cook), and put it in my bottle! I'm not sure how old I was. Is it any wonder I have food allergies/intolerances?

She 'knew' co-sleeping was bad, so she fell asleep in the rocking chair while holding me. (Which is statistically counted as co-sleeping, if there is a death.)

When riding in a car with a baby, the baby was simply held in her arms.

Times have *certainly* changed!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:30 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

In the 50's (yes, I am really old), it was considered very cute and precoscious that my Dad taught me to make a martini for him and Mom. I was maybe 3. And to fill his pipe.

We didn't even have seat belts; on long car trips, my brother and I brought sleeping bags, and slept in the back of the station wagon.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 PM

I walked a mile to the store alone by the age of three.  I remember doing it, but I google earthed the address and the store, and mapped it out.  It was just over a mile, and I had to cross a major street.  

I remember going there a few times a week to buy Sour apple bubble gum.  Who gives a three year old money?

Looking back, my mom was obviously depressed, because I remember her ALWAYS being in bed.  She'd give me money from bed, and let me go.  (this was in the mid 60s...and we lived outside of Chicago).

Old 11-20-2012, 11:02 PM

My mom says my dad once left me in the house by myself when I was a baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post

I walked a mile to the store alone by the age of three.

I hear people used to be able to send their three-year-olds on errands.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I remember my Mom telling me my little brother had to ride in the back seat because he was a toddler (which would make me 5-ish), but that I was big enough to stay in my seat (in the front) and not let myself flop forward into the dashboard or windshield, if we had a car accident.

From approximately ages 2-6, my Dad drove an orange VW camper-van ("The Great Pumpkin").  My place, which he called the "(VocalMinority)-seat", was a tall, 3-leg, round-seat stool placed slightly behind the two front seats - and between them, of course, so I could see!  Nothing between me and the windshield!  And the stool wasn't attached to the floor or anything.  (Wouldn't that be inconvenient, when you wanted to camp and move seats around?)

We spent summers at my grandmother's 3rd-floor condo at the beach.  It was a late-60's/early-70's design, with a random super-narrow, floor-to-ceiling recessed window in the master bedroom.  Predictably, that was every little kid's favorite place to hide, in hide-and-seek.  Only a little kid could wedge themselves in there, behind the shade.  When I was 3, I was very verbal and my poor mother thought it would be safe to open that window for some fresh air, leaving just the screen down, and reason with me that it wasn't safe to play there.  Later, she went looking for me and found me lying in the parking lot, below the window, with a fractured skull!  Thankfully - for all involved - I came out of it just fine.

Sheepish.gif

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
Old 11-21-2012, 08:40 PM

One year when we were financially troubled at Christmas time, my step-dad told my little sister that Santa might not come this year because he forgot to renew the license plate on his sleigh and had gotten arrested. :( (Both my younger siblings were adopted by my mom after they were removed from their bioparents who were unfit and criminals.)

Old 11-21-2012, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

OMG... these are priceless!  I remember rolling around in the "way back" of our 1978 Chevy station wagon on long car trips.  Seat belts?!?!?  Ha!  And I remember fighting with my sister over who would sit in the front seat from when we were very young.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Ah, sitting on Mom's lap in the VW bus. A very happy memory. 

I can't imagine letting a 3 y.o. walk that far away.  But you survived just fine, obviously.  Actually, I think I did something like that when I was 4.  I walked to the corner quickie mart. My parents were pretty angry when they found out where I'd gone.  I don't think it was the destination, it was that I didn't tell anyone.  Well, if I'd asked they might have said No! 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:40 PM

When I was about seven, my parents bought a little Datsun pickup truck and put a camper shell on it.  Because there were no seats, and four of us kids at the time, my dad built a little wooden bench that we sat on in the back of the truck.  One night when we were driving through town, my 3-year-old brother got up from the bench and got too close to the back door of the camper.  He accidentally pushed open the door and fell out onto the street.  I remember us all screaming to tell my parents that Wade had fallen out of the back of the truck.  Luckily, they were stopped at a stop light, which had just turned green, so they weren't going very fast when he fell out.  And amazingly, the people in the car behind us saw him fall and didn't start driving. 

Old 11-23-2012, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There are pics of me at 2 years old with two black eyes from slamming into the back of the seat during a sudden stop.
My dad had a topper camper and let me and my friend ride in it.
My grandma had me making and serving coffee at age 5. I remember having to climb to reach.
Same grandma told me a big dog lived under the basement steps to keep me from going there.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Old 11-24-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
My grandma had me making and serving coffee at age 5. I remember having to climb to reach.

I was about 5 when I was given coffee to drink for the first time.  A lifetime love affair was born that day.  I can still remember that first bitter sip.  It was black coffee.  joy.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

Old 11-24-2012, 01:07 PM

My big sister says her babysitter, an elderly German woman, gave her this coffee soup for breakfast. Coffee, warm milk and cubes of toasted white bread.  She was 4 at the time.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:26 PM

Wow. Some of these I'm glad we've lost, like early solids and toddlers lose in a car, but I'm sad that we've lost the freedom for kids to go to stores by themselves. 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
Old 11-24-2012, 08:27 PM

I'm younger, but I remember being loose in the "Way Back" of our SUV as a kid (in the 90s). We did have car seats for the first few years, but we never rearfaced. Now my 2 year old is still rearfacing. :p 

Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Oh gosh, when we were kids on long car rides, we would take the middle seat totally out of the van-so that we would have room to lay blankets and a cooler on the floor for sleeping and playing while driving of course!  Probably made the car rides easier on my poor parents, but I have to shudder when I think of this now :) 

My mother also reports that she gave us skim milk after she stopped nursing when we were around 6 months old, because that was apparently the thing to do then.  Yikes!  Really though, even nursing that long during that time/area was pretty unusual, so she was trying. 

Oh yeah, and we were also allowed to ride in the back of the open pickup truck on occasion, just for short drives :) Though I imagine this still happens out in the boonies. 

Car seats were pretty unheard of-my parents say that they had us in infant seats, and maybe boosters after that when we were 1-2ish, but nothing after that.  And my parents were/are great, loving, caring parents-crazy how much changes. 

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 AM

Oh wow.  Entertaining stories here, all!  

I remember riding in the front seat of our cargo van in my carseat (that I could get in and out of completely by myself (my mom really enjoyed us being able to do that ourselves).  And later, when my younger sister was born, my folks put a bean bag seat on the floor in the back (they did add a belt buckle, so there was that).

There was also the time in first grade that my dad needed help getting the car to the repair shop, so I got to steer while he pushed it through the streets (until a cop stopped him and helped instead of me - but it was great fun, though, and terribly thrilling before that.) 

Old 11-25-2012, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

No car seats.  No seat belts.  There were many, many times in my daughters' lives that I have longed for the freedom of the far back of a station wagon.  Naps, card games, looking out windows in all directions....

My mom let drop that she gave my older sister skim milk as an infant because of digestive troubles.  I also found a recipe written by the doctor for my oldest sister, then a newborn:  powdered milk, water and Karo syrup.

That's all the regular, "responsible" 60's-70's parent stuff.  Then there was my father.  Divorced when I was about 6 months.  We'd go visit, and he'd let my sister (11yo, and smoking a cigarette) drive miles to the store.  He'd let us drink beer.  I once rode from grandpa's cabin to dad's house in the back window because we had him and 5 girls in his VW Rabbit (of course I had to be the littlest).  He gave me the rudder of the boat going, oh, 100,000 knots or something and I remember vividly trying to turn as we got close to shore and the hundreds of old stumps just underwater (the lake is a reservoir).  I will say that man had nerves of steel.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 11-25-2012, 10:57 AM

I also remember riding lose in the back of a pick up trick (With a cap on) with my cousin and a HUGE dog. The dog was probably more dangerous than the car ride that dog had some issues. 

Old 11-25-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
 powdered milk, water and Karo syrup.

Yup, that's what my mom fed us.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We used to travel about an hour and a half to visit my Great Grabdparents.  My Grampa would drive, my Mom would sit in the passenger seat and my Gramma would sit on the little bump between the two seats.  Us kids, had to be 2, 4 and 6 and my Mother was very insistant that we use seat belts, but there were only two seat belts in the back, so my brother, being the baby, sat in the middle and my Mother somehow crisscrossed the seat belts so that my brother was being "protected" partly by my seat beld and partly by my sister's seat belt.  I also remember making that same trip once and there must've been extra people in the car, 'cause my sister and I had to sit on the floor in the back.  I remember around town trips in my very early childhood sitting on my Mother's lap in the front seat and once acr ride, standing between the two front seats... and hitting my head on the dashboard when my Gramma slammed on the breaks.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:41 PM

My mom gave me a bottle of apple juice at 6 weeks old. Undiluted, 8 oz bottle. 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 11-26-2012, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

I also found a recipe written by the doctor for my oldest sister, then a newborn:  powdered milk, water and Karo syrup.

LOL!  When I was breastfeeding our now-4-year-old, I can't remember what happened.  He got a cold?  He was on the small side of the growth charts (which was to be expected, with DH and me as parents)?  Anyway, my mother-in-law insisted the problem was easily solved, if we just supplemented breast milk with watered-down corn syrup...which everyone knows is essential for babies, anyway.  I thought she had lost her mind.  But maybe that was conventional "wisdom", when she was raising kids?

A long time ago, I heard an interview with Rachael Ray.  Evidently, she was a pretty hyperactive little kid and never slept well.  Her parents addressed it by giving her wine in a baby bottle, at night.  Wow.  Isn't it a bit too bad, that we know too much to do that, now?  I bet that would, indeed solve a lot of colic and sleep issues.

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
Old 11-26-2012, 02:17 PM

Weren't some of those old colic solutions you could buy little more than watered down rum?  Like, a hundred years ago.  

Old 11-26-2012, 02:39 PM

I vaguely remember rum being discussed as what to rub on a teething baby's gums, when I was a child.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:52 PM

I fondly remember riding in the back of pickup trucks as a kid.  Through town to the store, around the camp ground, or even on the highway.   I also remember riding around in the back of our friend's station wagon, playing barbie on a long road trip. DH's parents used to take the back seat out of their van and lay down a queen size mattress for him and his brothers to play/nap/wrestle on when they went on road trips.   While I'm glad that we are more safety conscious, I sometimes think how much easier road trips would be if kids didn't have to be strapped into their car seats!

DH's brother told a story about driving a truck for the first time when he was 7.  He and his cousin (same age) went fishing with their grampa.  He was too drunk to drive home so he had my BIL drive home from the lake!

My mom also used to feed me juice in a bottle.  Apple juice.  She can't understand why we don't give DS (28 mos) juice, except for an occassional "treat" and even then we still water it down.  She keeps buying juice for him and saying "but it's organic".  Yes, because organic sugar won't rot his teeth!

There's a picture of my dad and I from when I am two, where I am riding on the crossbar of his bicyle.  I remember my dad would put a tea towel on the bar so it was more comfy for me to sit on (side saddle), and then I would hold onto the handle bars while he peddled.  No helmet, obviously! I am definitely under 3 in the photo, because it is in the city we moved from just after I turned 3.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

I vaguely remember rum being discussed as what to rub on a teething baby's gums, when I was a child.

Well, yeah, plus a big slug of it for poor mom.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:08 AM

So wait, let me be sure I have this, we're not giving the babies liquor in their bottle of apple juice? 

2whistle.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Oh, I've thought about it, in my desperate moments when I've considered crossing over to the Dark Side.  orngtongue.gif  I mean, generations of British kids were put to bed with warm, watered down gin, all when they were the greatest nation on earth.  Can't be all that bad.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

Tags
Parenting
User Tag List