Need practical advice on setting up a fixed bed time - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 12-09-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My son is 2.5 yrs old and the biggest challenge in my parenting journey has been getting him to sleep. "Nap/ bedtime routine" doesn't work for us. As in: a sequence of predictable events doesnt help him fall asleep on a predictable time table. I have tried for several weeks, during different phases of his life. The problem is if he is not tired, it simply doesnt work. And on somedays he is tired by 9 pm, other days 11 pm. And if he naps late( which occurs most often) he is up past midnight. He is not cranky during these late nights. As I said, as soon as he is truly tired, I dont have miuch problem with getting him to sleep. And even though a bedtime routine doesnt work, but we still have one. After dinner, some play, change of clothes, The last hour of our day is spent in quiet activity like books, or listening to soothing songs while lounging etc. Lights are turned off, we go upstairs to bed, and lie together and ( ideally) drift off to sleep. There have been several nights when he has laid awake with me in a dark, quiet room for 1.5-2 hours. I am not kidding! the child obviously is not fighting sleep but is truly not sleepy.
Going out and spending an active morning doesnt always translate into a nap. And I cant run around( physically) for hours everyday. He is by nature a laid back child, one of the calmest toddler. He can watch a ladybug for half hour easily. But he is healthy, active ( when he has a playmate) and happy.

I really want to set up a sleep schedule. I have spent huge amount of time on this challenge and so far not succeeded.
He is a sound sleeper, been sleeping through the night since 9 months. The challenge is to get him to sleep. Please I need tried and tested suggestions!

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 40 Old 12-09-2012, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just lost a long iphone response I was was working on. In summary though, do you feel that your son could be ready to drop his nap? My oldest was a little older when he stopped napping but when he did, it allowed us to reset our evenings from late and unpredictable bedtimes to eating dinner at five, going up to bed (for bath, stories, goodnights) at six, and leaving him to sleep in his room at seven (while listening to a music or story CD, which gives him something very passive to do if he's not ready to sleep right away). I sympathize with you, though, sleep is just tricky.
#3 of 40 Old 12-09-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Oh how I hate those iphones when that happens:) I am gingerly typing on my ipad now:)

I went down that route as well. He went three weeks with no nap and at first it was heaven but slowly he started turning into a child I couldnt identify at all. Brought back naps and he is backmto normal. I dont force naps anymore though. I try to listen to his body as he clearly still needs them. I would have not worried much if life before this nap-skipping phase was predictable. But it wasnt. He has always, from infancy been very irregular about his sleep.

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#4 of 40 Old 12-09-2012, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Does he still need the daytime sleep? I was just wondering if the later time and the subsequent later bedtime mean he may be ready to drop sleeping during the day.

Other than that my first suggestion was going to be activity but it sounds like that isn't likely to help much.

If you think he does still need the day sleep then I'd probably try waking him after an hour if he goes down early and missing it altogether on the days that it would be late. Routine doesn't make my toddler sleepy either so we make sure she gets plenty of physical activity and limit her day sleep to an hour unless she goes down before 10:30am. Otherwise she is up late but doesn't sleep in the next morning and we get into a bit of a vicious cycle of tiredness.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 40 Old 12-09-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

He regularly misses naps. However, that still doesnt develop a consistent bedtime. For example, today he got up at 9 am and skipped nap. He almost fell asleep at 7:15 pm( he was tired) but woke up in 2 mins and then finally slept at 11 pm.

He still needs naps for sure. Some weeks he will nap everyday, other weeks not. Also, how " long " he naps has no effect at all. Cutting nap short was the furst thing I had tried and it has zero bearing. If he naps, he wont go down for next 7-8 hrs at the least.

#6 of 40 Old 12-10-2012, 09:15 AM

How much total sleeping time does he get in a 24 hour period?  It sounds like to me you need to start with when he gets up in the morning.  Decide when he needs to be up in the morning, count backwards the amount of time he usually sleeps at night.  That's when he needs to go to bed.  Then add in any additional amount of time for a nap to bring up his sleep time to what he needs.  If he normally gets up around 9:30 am then his nap will probably be about 5 hours after that, around 2-3 pm.  If he takes an 1-2 hour nap, waking up by 4 pm, he won't be ready for bed before 9-10 pm.  If you want him to go to bed earlier than that, you can try to reset his clock by getting him up earlier in the morning and do it consistently over time--weeks if not months.  Or just go with it and adjust your day to match his which is what I did. 

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#7 of 40 Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

On average he gets 11.5 hrs. If he doesnt nap, he makes up for it at night. In theory what you say is exactly what I feel should work. But what happens instead is, he doesnt go to bed earlier and if I keep waking him up earlier, in just 48 hours he falls apart. And if I keep at it, instead of falling in a routine, things go crazy.
But yes, I totally see the logic in what you say and thats whay I am frustated as to why it doesnt work:(
Currently we dont have any problems following his natural body clock but I want him to join a home daycare for few hours and with our current timing, he wakes up too late to make it work.

#8 of 40 Old 12-10-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Also, currently he wakes up around 9 ( 8:30-9:30) and doesnt go down for nap till 4 pm. Even if I shift it to 7 am wake up time, he would still be napping too late at 2 pm. He also always has been a very sound deep sleeper. Never does short naps. And omce he sleeps more than 1.5 hrs, he cant see, to go down for next 7 hrs. My problem is " gaps " between each sleep period is too long. And unfortunately he still needs naps:(
Maybe I am just doomed with this till he comfortably grows out of naps all together.

#9 of 40 Old 12-10-2012, 01:45 PM

Could be.  Dylan's schedule was up at 8 am, nap at daycare/home around 12:30-1 pm; up around 3:30 (there were days that the provider had to wake him up for afternoon snack); bedtime was at 10 pm.  He had his bath around 7 pm after dinner and got a last story at bedtime.  It worked for us since I didn't have to be at work until 10 am.  Dylan ate breakfast at home and was at daycare in time for morning snack.  But then the home daycare I used didn't have set times that the kids had to be there.  Those kids who were there at 8 o'clock got breakfast.  Morning snack was at 9:30, lunch at noon, nap time 12:30-1:00 (they had to lay down for quiet time if they didn't actually nap); afternoon snack around 3:30.  Some kids were there as early as 7:30.  Others got there at lunch time.  Some went home after lunch and others not until 5:30.  But the preschool activities mostly occur ed in the morning between breakfast and morning snack before they went out to play.  When they couldn't go outside, they had preschool activities scattered throughout the day.

When Dylan started 1st grade, I moved his bedtime up to 8 pm since he was no longer napping (stopped half way through Kindergarten; very frustrating since he had afternoon Kindergarten and didn't get home until after 3 so he was napping from 4 to 5:30).  He had to be up by 7 as school started at 8 and we walked.  But by the time he was in 3rd grade, his bedtime was at 9.  In 4th grade, it got moved to 10 and he was still getting up at 7.  Now, at almost 15 and doing home schooling, he still goes to bed at 10 and gets up at 7.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#10 of 40 Old 12-10-2012, 02:21 PM

Basically sleep is like food, if a child is overfeed then a child won't have apteite.

So, the easiest way to get some sanity is to be consistent with waking him up a bit earlier

then he would like and this way you will get him in bed earlier. Otherwise if he gets

all he wants then we gets his way and you go crazy.

My kid never wanted to go to bed... we realized that we can't put a child to bed... but

we could regulate moring and nap time sleep amount.

So we would see what time we needed to wake up our kid in order to have him ready for nap at 1.. and how

much nap would be enough not to cause long hours up..

so that is the way we could get somwhere eventually .. by maniuplating the wake up time not the go to sleep time..

hope this helps.

#11 of 40 Old 12-10-2012, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
But, if he napped @ 2 pm, instead of 4 pm, it would still gain you a 2 hour earlier bedtime, right?

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#12 of 40 Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Parker's mommy , it doesn't work out that way for him. Almost seems if he falls asleep like anytime after 12 pm is too late and he will stay up past 10 easily.

#13 of 40 Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Southcarolina, I think I have lot of hesitation about waking a sleeping child greensad.gif your suggestion is the only thing I haven't done consistently because my child gets SO miserable if he is woken up. And something just seems wrong to me to wake him up every time. But you may be very right. He sleeps to his natural rhythm and while that makes him very happy and rested it seems I can't keep to any schedule.
So now I am torn between keeping our happy smoothly flowing life but with no set timings OR start torturing me ( because this kid will be grumpy for hours if you wake him) to try to create a stricter routine .
Phew.

#14 of 40 Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

That was ver
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post

Could be.  Dylan's schedule was up at 8 am, nap at daycare/home around 12:30-1 pm; up around 3:30 (there were days that the provider had to wake him up for afternoon snack); bedtime was at 10 pm.  He had his bath around 7 pm after dinner and got a last story at bedtime.  It worked for us since I didn't have to be at work until 10 am.  Dylan ate breakfast at home and was at daycare in time for morning snack.  But then the home daycare I used didn't have set times that the kids had to be there.  Those kids who were there at 8 o'clock got breakfast.  Morning snack was at 9:30, lunch at noon, nap time 12:30-1:00 (they had to lay down for quiet time if they didn't actually nap); afternoon snack around 3:30.  Some kids were there as early as 7:30.  Others got there at lunch time.  Some went home after lunch and others not until 5:30.  But the preschool activities mostly occur ed in the morning between breakfast and morning snack before they went out to play.  When they couldn't go outside, they had preschool activities scattered throughout the day.

When Dylan started 1st grade, I moved his bedtime up to 8 pm since he was no longer napping (stopped half way through Kindergarten; very frustrating since he had afternoon Kindergarten and didn't get home until after 3 so he was napping from 4 to 5:30).  He had to be up by 7 as school started at 8 and we walked.  But by the time he was in 3rd grade, his bedtime was at 9.  In 4th grade, it got moved to 10 and he was still getting up at 7.  Now, at almost 15 and doing home schooling, he still goes to bed at 10 and gets up at 7.

That was super helpful to know. Though your son's schedule seems out of question to me right now, it does give me an idea of sleep pattern over the years. Its amazing though that you remember it after so many years!

#15 of 40 Old 12-10-2012, 09:45 PM

The way I see it is that you can either start waking him up earlier in the morning, or not allowing a nap and setting your day up to make that possible. 

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

#16 of 40 Old 12-11-2012, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy@STL View Post

Southcarolina, I think I have lot of hesitation about waking a sleeping child greensad.gif your suggestion is the only thing I haven't done consistently because my child gets SO miserable if he is woken up. And something just seems wrong to me to wake him up every time. But you may be very right. He sleeps to his natural rhythm and while that makes him very happy and rested it seems I can't keep to any schedule.
So now I am torn between keeping our happy smoothly flowing life but with no set timings OR start torturing me ( because this kid will be grumpy for hours if you wake him) to try to create a stricter routine .
Phew.

I totally get this. We are in a similar predicament with our 2 1/2 year old. I *hate* waking him up in the morning. He isn't always grumpy (but most of the time)....but I know what you mean it just seems wrong to wake a child up. Anyway we have to b/c he goes to preschool and has to be there at 9 and for our morning to flow smoothly that means 7:30 wake up time. He usually goes to bed at 9:30-10:30 and would not wake up naturally til around 9. I sometimes think he should be waking up more like 6 to get to bed by 8....he doesn't seem to need that much sleep because even with consistent 7:30 wake up he never goes down before 9:30.

Anyway, you seem to be content with your routine, you say you are happy and what seems like the only reasonable path out of this (waking him earlier in the morning) is not something you want to do. But then you say you want him in daycare soon. Is the daycare flexible with drop-off time? Because if not then you're going to have to start waking him in any case. At the very latest in a few short years (unless you're planning to homeschool) he'll have to start getting up early for school, so you might as well rip the band-aid off and just fall into that pattern now. Also what's the nap situation at daycare? Maybe they can help him fall into a pattern of sleeping earlier as most daycares have naps around 12:30-1.

If your daycare has flexible drop off times then why do you want to change anything? Just leave it. If your daycare has a fixed and earlier drop off time then you are going to have to get used to waking him early. Hopefully he will start going to bed earlier and it will get better and only be some weeks that he is so grumpy and difficult about it. If you absolutely cannot bear to wake him up and are fixed on having a 100% natural body-rhythm sleep schedule, then you need to find a different daycare and / or plan to home school. I know how much it sucks, trust me I do. If I were able to I'd wake up my boy hours earlier because like I said he *still* goes down late even waking at 7:30.....but I don;t have the nerve. Unfortunately earlier wake up time can really make a difference here though. Best of luck!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#17 of 40 Old 12-11-2012, 05:12 PM

I remember in part because that is still our schedule now even though he is a homeschooling teen and I work at home.  We both still go to bed at 10.  I still get up at 6 and he gets up at 7.  In fact, that's been my preferred schedule for the past almost 50 years since I became a teen.  And I hear you on not waking a sleeping child.  We never woke Erica up if it could be avoided.

#18 of 40 Old 12-11-2012, 05:22 PM

I would definitely not let him nap at 4.

When my dk were dropping their naps they were ready to go to bed at 7pm.

If you see he wants to fall asleep at 4, try to keep him awake until 6 at least, then put him to bed for the night. Be prepared that he will wake up at 5 in the morning though. Then you can gradually move his bedtime to 7.

You don't *need* to create a "strict" routine if you are happy with his sleep. If your schedule works for both of you, then why change it?

caffix.gif

#19 of 40 Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 AM

I think a schedule would help his body get on a natural rhythm and would make things easier for him.  When I wake up at varying times each day and go to bed at varying times, I feel a little out of sorts and have a lot more trouble getting up/falling asleep.  I would set a schedule that you think matches what he needs and follow it strictly for a week and then evaluate how things are going.  Some children thrive on a set schedule, my son would be a mess without it.  Set a morning wakeup time, nap start and nap end  and bedtime (try to match the nap length to  sleep cycle lengths so if you have to wake him, you do it at the end of a cycle.  They typically are 40 minutes and they'll often stir at the end of a cycle, sometimes getting up and sometimes going back to sleep.  waking at 30 minutes or 50 minutes on the dot is a sign of overtiredness.)  

Based on the average sleep needs for that age, I'd try for waking at 8am, nap at 1 pm for 1hr & 10 min and bedtime at 8pm.  It won't go well for the first few days, until his body gets used to it.  One easy way that I used to get my son used to a set nap time was to take him for a drive at that time every day.  Then once their bodies adjust to the schedule, they will make a few tweaks based on their needs.  If you notice him getting sleepier earlier than 8pm, he needs an earlier bedtime.  But, you can really on successfully move a set schedule by about 15 minutes a night.  So make changes once you are on a good schedule gradually.

Oh and the falling asleep for 2 minutes thing and then waking up, might be a sign of being overtired.  When kids get overtired, they have a horrible time falling asleep and the inability to stay asleep is a classic sign.

I honestly believe that schedules are not the enemy as some may think.  They help a child's natural circadian rhythm find balance and without them I think the child's body is constantly trying to find a rhythm, but can't because we allow other parts of the schedule to be inconsistent.  

#20 of 40 Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by transylvania_mom View Post

You don't *need* to create a "strict" routine if you are happy with his sleep. If your schedule works for both of you, then why change it?

I agree with this.

A few more thoughts regarding the OP... You said that you can't physically stay active every morning. My son is much more active than I am and so I literally can't keep up but I know he needs the activity (if he doesn't get AM activity he will not nap and then he's grumpy). So... I have some tricks that might work for you too. We go to places where he can play and doesn't need me to play with him: indoor/ enclosed play areas, bounce houses and trampolines, play with the dog, ride bike or scooter in loops in park, swimming (I'm just in the pool nearby, not swimming myself), soccer/ gym class, etc. Maybe something like that can work for you?
#21 of 40 Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellen109 View Post

I think a schedule would help his body get on a natural rhythm and would make things easier for him.  When I wake up at varying times each day and go to bed at varying times, I feel a little out of sorts and have a lot more trouble getting up/falling asleep.  I would set a schedule that you think matches what he needs and follow it strictly for a week and then evaluate how things are going.  Some children thrive on a set schedule, my son would be a mess without it.  Set a morning wakeup time, nap start and nap end  and bedtime (try to match the nap length to  sleep cycle lengths so if you have to wake him, you do it at the end of a cycle.  They typically are 40 minutes and they'll often stir at the end of a cycle, sometimes getting up and sometimes going back to sleep.  waking at 30 minutes or 50 minutes on the dot is a sign of overtiredness.)  

Based on the average sleep needs for that age, I'd try for waking at 8am, nap at 1 pm for 1hr & 10 min and bedtime at 8pm.  It won't go well for the first few days, until his body gets used to it.  One easy way that I used to get my son used to a set nap time was to take him for a drive at that time every day.  Then once their bodies adjust to the schedule, they will make a few tweaks based on their needs.  If you notice him getting sleepier earlier than 8pm, he needs an earlier bedtime.  But, you can really on successfully move a set schedule by about 15 minutes a night.  So make changes once you are on a good schedule gradually.

Oh and the falling asleep for 2 minutes thing and then waking up, might be a sign of being overtired.  When kids get overtired, they have a horrible time falling asleep and the inability to stay asleep is a classic sign.

I honestly believe that schedules are not the enemy as some may think.  They help a child's natural circadian rhythm find balance and without them I think the child's body is constantly trying to find a rhythm, but can't because we allow other parts of the schedule to be inconsistent.  
I like what you say Mama. This dream of having a set routine is why I get ruffled up about it time to time. But here's the thing: I myself am not a routine person. I dont fall asleep at same time, never have. But like my son, I sleep deep and well and am well rested. But my sleep needs vary greatly. So,edays 5 hrs , some other days 9 hrs. SO I have a handicap I guess in trying to setup a sleep routine for him, coz I dunno how to make it work for me!
My sister was unlike me. She slept at the same time and also had no problem falling asleep. If her head hit the bed near bedtime, she would be asleep in few mins. I on the other hand ( like my son) would stay awake for hours ( as a child I couldnt be out of bef since my mom obviously expected me to be asleep) and was miserable and bored. As an adult now, I give myself max half hour and then get up and go do something productive.lol.
I have held a corporate job before and so have woken up early consistently. The point of my post is, I wish I could follow a sleep pattern like you mention. And I guess my son inherits mine!

#22 of 40 Old 12-12-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial-mom View Post

I agree with this.
A few more thoughts regarding the OP... You said that you can't physically stay active every morning. My son is much more active than I am and so I literally can't keep up but I know he needs the activity (if he doesn't get AM activity he will not nap and then he's grumpy). So... I have some tricks that might work for you too. We go to places where he can play and doesn't need me to play with him: indoor/ enclosed play areas, bounce houses and trampolines, play with the dog, ride bike or scooter in loops in park, swimming (I'm just in the pool nearby, not swimming myself), soccer/ gym class, etc. Maybe something like that can work for you?

The reason, I am trying to setup a more predictable routine is so that we can take advanatage of the playdates, preschools, daycare etc. Currently we do zoo, museum, mall, lib etc but its just him and me. I am trying to get him a couple of hours of playtime but if somedays he is awake at 7:30 am amd other days 10 am, I cant commit to any playdate or daycare. I womt homeschool so yes I am kinda nervous now about how to get him to preschool and school by 8 am! And in a happy mood. I dunno how my friends who work get their kids to daycare, even if the kid is completely in a bad mood. I just have never dragged him out of house and put him in car against his will. Mostly because my kid is a very happy child and doesnt really behave like a two yr old. UNLESS his dear sleep rhythm is distubed. Lol!

I also believe there are two things at play here: he is also a night owl like me. Waking up earlier makes him very miserable. The first half of our day is a waste.

#23 of 40 Old 12-12-2012, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
When we get into that pattern, I try to leave the shades up so the strong morning sun gently wakes my three year old. Then he gets back to his long afternoon naps and 10 pm sleeptime. It takes about four days of waking by morning light to get back to afternoon naps that do not spill over into early evening. He naps 3-4 hours a day so it's easy to get into that late pattern and going to bed at midnight or later. I can't proactively wake him though I feel awful doing that but if the shades are up in the morning then he wakes naturally it seems better.....if he is just too tired and sleeps despite the sun I don't wake him. His body obviously needs the sleep more than I need a 10 pm sleep time. But then it can still be helpful if he sleeps until 10am, as he may not wish to nap but go straight to bed at 9 pm or so then wake with the sun next morning.
#24 of 40 Old 12-12-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:

Phew.

I hear you Amy, I know what you are going through and I was there totally and I also was so hesitant to wake up a child because it felt so horrible and so unatural and I was fearing

aobut the growth and all that, but looking back from the benefit of time and prespective I think it is very little price to pay if you do it for only like a week or so to maje a necessary

adjsutement and he will be on scheadule.. just earlier. We tired follow natural cycle and it  gets worse every time daylight savings, every growth spurt and teething and sickness

as you allow them to sleep more and more and wake up later so that eventually comes back and kicks your famliy life on the bottom.

Having a chance to go back in time I would go back and just wake up my child for some ten days or so untill he or she would get into a new habit and then all would go as intended.

After all kids do travel across contients, time zones, go through transiton to daycares and have to adjust eventually and it all go well from there after few good days..

If I might advise you something is to never wake up your child my husband style.. as standing next to a child, shaking on the side and repeating on and on 'wake up.. wakie wakie..

wake up..!"

that makes two people angry here.. my child and myself.

I wake up her gently talking to her for few minutes before she opens her eyes she can hear me.. and she won't respond but she is waking up..

first thing actually is to even before her wake up couple hours earlier to open curtins so the daylight gets in partially and helps with her natural waking up

as I used to keep pitch black so she woudl never feel a need to wake up...

so then after talking gently I start to asking some goofy questions as .. "so baby are you sure that kitty has seven tails?" or " oh gosh, do you remember

that doggie that was wearing that funny pants on tv?"..

and sooner or later she will just seat on her bed and open eyes and just smile and reply.. oh yeah he was so funny and he did hta trick..

ever since this we are up.

my husban version .. if we let him .. would be like .. shaking the arm for fiftin minutes repeateing as above ;wayke wayke.. wake up wake up

it is time to wake up.. wake up.. and the child would be mad, ungry and so would I ... counterproductive totally.

we also have tv in the bedroom that I occassionally used to set in the morning  to some kids channel in whispering sound

and it would get her attention very quickly.. and she would be up..

that was tremendous help in adjusting process and once your kid is up you have to make sure that you take him her upstairs

to the bedroom at the same time each day and do the same routine so body gets into auto mation... and repeating it

for two weeks really won't leave no prisoners and let everyone have a life again.

#25 of 40 Old 12-13-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I am going to do the natural sunlight method right from tomorrow. That feels very right to me, if we were in caves, sunlight would be right in our face:)
We have a window by our bed, not sure if its east facing though.

#26 of 40 Old 12-13-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Southcarolina your husband sounds just like my dad who was in army. He would shout at the top of his voice in a irritating cheerful tone " time to get up. Cmon i want to see you jump from bed" . I cant express in words the fury I would feel towards him those moments. Only as an adult I have become close enough to him to tell him thats torture. He laughs at it but I dont think he gets it that not everyone in the world at at his training camp !

#27 of 40 Old 12-13-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiago View Post

When we get into that pattern, I try to leave the shades up so the strong morning sun gently wakes my three year old. Then he gets back to his long afternoon naps and 10 pm sleeptime. It takes about four days of waking by morning light to get back to afternoon naps that do not spill over into early evening. He naps 3-4 hours a day so it's easy to get into that late pattern and going to bed at midnight or later. I can't proactively wake him though I feel awful doing that but if the shades are up in the morning then he wakes naturally it seems better.....if he is just too tired and sleeps despite the sun I don't wake him. His body obviously needs the sleep more than I need a 10 pm sleep time. But then it can still be helpful if he sleeps until 10am, as he may not wish to nap but go straight to bed at 9 pm or so then wake with the sun next morning.
My son naps long too! None of his peers do that anymore. So, when does your son wake up and whats his nap time, for him to be sleepy by 10 pm?

#28 of 40 Old 12-13-2012, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
He wakes roughly 8-8:30, naps roughly 1:30-4:30 then bed about 10 pm sometimes 11pm. Sometimes though we get into a later pattern and that is when I am more likely to leave the shades up.
#29 of 40 Old 12-14-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Ok, I am going to do the natural sunlight method right from tomorrow. That feels very right to me, if we were in caves, sunlight would be right in our face:)
We have a window by our bed, not sure if its east facing though.

That does remind me.  While I have blinds on my bedroom window, they are always open so I get the sun in the morning.  I can't wake up unless it's light outside.  It sucks in the winter but I love it in the summer.  I used to open his curtains/blinds to help Dylan get up in the morning.  His bedroom window has usually faced the street instead of the back yard so I didn't want the curtains open all night.   Now, I just turn on his light if he doesn't get up with his alarm clock.  He has also switched from taking a bath/shower at night to having one in the morning like his dad.

#30 of 40 Old 12-20-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

I am sad to report natural light having no effect on his sleep. He sleeps the most deep in mornings and nothing seems to get him up early enough. 

I may have found a home daycare which will have flexibility with times and later arrival. I am hoping maybe that will set us into a routine and help him feel tired earlier for earlier nap. Yesterday he napped from 2:30-7 pm. I woke him up several times and everytime he fell asleep. He just couldnt keep awake and I felt horrible jolting him awake every time. Needless to say he slept at 3 AM! Yeahhh. No crankiness or crying or tiredness. Just like that....as if 3 AM is no biggie!dizzy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page