Truancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-14-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I find out my great niece has not been to school since October 2012. She is in the 5th grade. I then found out that she is living with 21 people in her great grandmothers home. Men, women and kids who are related to her mother. I called the school, board of education and I am get stressed out. of course she loves her mother and little brother. The mother is staying with her boyfriend. While the kids reside in this home with 21 people. I called the mother today to ask for guardianship until she get herself together.....she hasn't called me back.....what is a Great Aunt to do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-14-2013, 04:03 PM

Personal opinion? Mind your own business.

#3 of 5 Old 01-14-2013, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you feel like the child is in actual danger call protective services and make a report. If you just dont like their lifestyle i would stay out of it.

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#4 of 5 Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I didn't understand from what you wrote  whether you meant that the child is living in a house with many people and the mother is living in the same house with her boyfriend, or whether the mother is living elsewhere with the boyfriend and the little girl is living in this big group. 

If the child is not living with her mother and you think the people in her household aren't caring for her, that's a big problem. The people at the school are mandatory reporters, so if they investigate your concerns, they will probably bring in child protective services or the department of social services, or whatever it's called in your state. You can also phone them if you think the little girl is being neglected. 

If the group of 21 people is operating as a communal household and the child is being home schooled, then it's just an unconventional arrangement and not necessarily anything to worry about. It's kind of hard to tell from what you wrote here. 

I don't think you're in a close enough relationship to expect to take custody of a child, even if the mom is completely unable to care for her. 

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#5 of 5 Old 01-15-2013, 12:07 AM

So, all 21 people she is living with are relatives but her mother is living somewhere else? Are the living conditions bad for the kids- like very dirty, no food, abuse, neglect?

Is there a reason the girl has not been to school? Is there a reason you do not care about the other child living in this home and only are concerned with your niece?

Do you live nearby? Do you have a good relationship with the mother and other relatives? Do you have a relationship with your niece?

You can offer to help get the girl to school or possibly offer to homeschool her. You can offer to let both the kids live with you.

You can contact child protective services if you feel the child is neglected or in danger.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page