I'm not sure if I'm "one and done" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-22-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Husband and I have a lovely daughter who is almost 19 months old. I had what was in hindsight a fairly easy pregnancy, birth was pretty easy, and she has been a happy, cheerful, easy child. I've always seen myself having a big family, but now I'm having second thoughts.

It wouldn't be the first time in my life that I had an image in my head of what I wanted out of life that didn't really match up to who I really ended up being. And I want to be careful with this, because I can't undo this decision. 

It's just so darn easy having one. She's easy to tote places. She's walking a lot more and we don't have to lug her everywhere; she's starting to talk and is easier to communicate with. We can go to friends' houses and bring her along and she'll charm everybody and everybody will be happy. She finally sleeps really well. Husband and I both have time for our own pursuits and don't feel like our entire life is taken up with caring for her. And though pregnancy and birth were relatively easy for me, I spent the entire first trimester feeling like crap and eating everything in sight, and not going through that again is not going to break my heart. 

I love her to bits, and I know I can be a good parent to her. I'm concerned I might not do so well with another. I really do like my personal time, and I struggle still with anger issues due to an emotionally abusive childhood. I worry about spreading myself too thin; I don't want to snap and hurt my children. I think I'd be better with just one than with multiples. 

But the idea of our daughter never having a sibling to play with is hard. The idea of not mixing our DNA again and seeing what adorably precious baby we produce is hard. 

I know we don't have to decide this right away. I used to think I wanted my kids close together, but I'm starting to think they could still be buddies with a 3- or 4- or even 5-year spacing, they'd just interact a little differently than my sister and I (with our 2-year spacing). And furthermore, my sister and I aren't even all that close now, though it was nice to always have a playmate as a kid (and my husband felt the same way about his two close-in-age brothers). But I don't want to wait too long to make the decision, as my husband will be 36 this year and the longer we wait the harder the newborn stage will be on him and the older he will be when our kids are in high school/college. I know lots of people have a great time as older parents but it does seem a lot harder. We noticed a difference in the impact of the newborn sleep-deprivation on the two of us (I'm five years younger, and not too, too worried about my fertility yet, but I don't want to wait too long for me either). 

I think part of the problem is probably that babies are not really my thing. I like older kids. Babies are cute, but I can satisfy a baby yen by cuddling a friend's baby for a little bit. It's hard to contemplate having another small child while I already have one, so maybe I am being short-sighted in thinking of having another baby while I have a toddler, rather than thinking about my future five-year-old and eight-year-old (or whatever). 

So what do you think? Any advice for me? How did you know you were, or weren't, "one and done"? 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#2 of 25 Old 01-22-2013, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Sooo many factors.  All anyone here can do is describe their own experience and what worked for them.  As much as I'm so glad we decided to have a second child, how fun and sweet it is, it's still nothing compared to how difficult it is to have a second child.  It seems like that transition from 1 to 2 was harder than the transition from none to 1.  Sure, my capacity for love is infinite, but my time is undeniably divided. It killed me for a while that second-born ds didn't get the undivided attention that first-born dd got.  Though later I decided that wasn't necessarily a bad thing for either of them. 

I don't know how helpful that is.  orngbiggrin.gif

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#3 of 25 Old 01-22-2013, 05:29 PM

Well, I have absolutely no idea what's right for you, but I can give you an argument for two from my personal experience. :)

I had an unpleasant pregnancy, a traumatic birth and a high-needs baby, coupled with PPD and a bit of PTSD. I'd always wanted a big family (I'm one of six kids), but I really dreaded the thought of doing it again, and was very tempted to just stick with one. In the end we gritted our teeth and went for baby number 2, fully expecting it to be another two years of hell; but hoping it would be worth it in the long run. I wanted to give DD a sibling. I didn't want her to be an only child. That's why we did it.

And so far, it's turned out wonderfully. I did have a horrible pregnancy - worse than the first time - but the birth was exponentially and DS was a vastly easier baby. Now at 19 months, despite the 3-year-3-month age gap, the kids are amazingly good friends. We all adore DS, and we're SO glad we went ahead and had him.

Of course, I could have had an emergency C-section and another high-needs baby and ended up jumping off a bridge. So, y'know, it's sort of a case of the ends justifying the decision.

It is harder... it takes longer to get them ready, and I have to schedule doing schoolwork and art with DD around DS' naptime, or he destroys stuff. But it was so much easier than I expected - probably because I was expecting the worst! And to some degree they entertain each other - right now they're hiding together under a blanket, whereas if DS were asleep DD would be asking me to play with her. That's a definite plus for me, as a requirer of much downtime myself. :)

I'm glad DD has a built-in companion. I'm glad she'll have someone to reminisce about her childhood with when she grows up. I'm glad she won't have to bear the entire burden of caring for me and DH in our old age, burying us, cleaning out our house and so on. I'm glad I can teach her on a daily basis about sharing, taking care of smaller people, giving gifts, different rules for small and big people, and all those things. I'm glad I can reuse some of her baby clothes! (Not that many, of course, DS being a boy. But a few of 'em.)

I can also highly recommend the larger age gap. I was initially worried that our gap would be too big, but so far it's been absolutely brilliant. DD was weaned, toilet trained and in her own bed by the time DS was born - and she wouldn't have been, if he'd been born 6 months earlier! She was old enough to be very gushy about babies, interested in the birth process, able to sleep over at Gran's house while we were at the birthing centre, able to bring me the wet wipes or a book to read while I was nursing, and so on. They were at different stages and didn't have the same needs, so there was no jealousy. I really, really like the gap. My SIL has two kids 17 months apart, and I don't know how she does it - she's great, but she often seems frazzled and annoyed because they're tandem-nursing, interested in the same toys at the same time, and so on. Their gap will probably be great when they're 8 and 9, but by the time they're 22 and 23 it won't be that much different than 22 and 26, you know? I'm closest at the moment to my sister who's nine years younger than me - at 26 and 17, the gap just isn't that big. We're both more or less grownups. :p

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#4 of 25 Old 01-22-2013, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I had one and I am very happy I did stop at one, everytime I hear siblings fighting I am even happier I never have to deal with anything like that. I get enough of multiple children arguing at work and it is very nice to go home to my wonderful only child.

My dd is also happy I only has one because she has friends with siblings and none of them have positive things to say about it, she sees the difference between what we can do versus what they can do, and she loves having me to herself. She went through a brief period of wanting a sibling then came out of it when I explained what that would actually mean when she was in preschool. Her friends are also mostly only children so it is a very normal thing that she doesn't see as needing to change.
#5 of 25 Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 PM

My husband will be 40 this year and we have a 19 month old too. He's hanging in just fine smile.gif.

I also struggle with this, ultimately I want to have another because I want my daughter to have a sibling, especially when my husband and I are both gone.
#6 of 25 Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 PM
A&A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You don't have to decide today.  (My kids are 5 years apart).

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#7 of 25 Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 PM

For sure! My kids are almost 4 and a half years apart. I'm very glad that dd was almost a preschooler when her little brother was born.

#8 of 25 Old 01-23-2013, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post
So what do you think? Any advice for me? How did you know you were, or weren't, "one and done"? 

When dd was about a year old dh and I made a pro and con list for having just dd and one for having another child. It really helped clarify our thoughts to put it on paper.

I suggest you talk with your dh very honestly about how you both feel, what your goals are for the future and how family size might impact those goals, think about other options for increasing your family when you feel you have more to give another child and then give it a year or two before you decide anything permanent.

When dd was 3 years old, my dh had a vasectomy. Dd is 12 years old and we have no regrets or doubts about our decision. Dd has never pined for a sibling.

As I've gotten older I've really re-thought what ties are important, what makes someone "family" and building a real support system. Sharing the same DNA is the least important qualification for someone to be considered family to me.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#9 of 25 Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

We have two girls who are 2 yrs and 9 mos apart. I am so glad that we have two. We have several friends with onlies and I think they're really happy with their choice, too, so I think chances are likely you'll be happy with whichever way it works out for you.

For background, dh and I both come from families of 3 kids. In his family they were all 3 yrs apart, boy, girl, boy. He's the youngest. In my family of origin, it's boy, girl, girl, but my brother is 9 yrs older than me and my sister is 6.5 yrs older. I was not very close to them growing up and am not close to them now. I would be estranged from my brother if we didn't have to share the care of my elderly mom. My sister and I get along fine, but we're not close. DH is not close to his sibs either. They both had a lot of problems as teens and he escaped that pattern. And yet even though neither one of us is close to our sibs as adults or had wonderful relationships with them as kids we always thought we'd have more than one. It just felt right to us. FWIW, I am not a baby person, either. I'm actually not that much a kid person in general. I mean I like them okay, love mine, but I would be a lousy classroom teacher. I'm way too introverted.

Dd1 was very high needs and while an easy pregnancy and a relatively uncomplicated birth I had a fairly long labor with her and didn't really enjoy being pregnant. You know those mamas that "glow" with pregnancy? Yeah, not so much me. I was older (36) when she was born. We had been together about 8 yrs before we decided to have kids. We didn't have any fertility issues and had the relatively easy time of it.

Dd1's infancy was a huge learning curve, though, and since she was so high needs it really was hard. We couldn't comfortably leave her with anyone because she wouldn't settle down for anyone else. She was an anxious child from birth. Finally as she got to be about 2 she got a little bit easier (although she still is not an "easy" child) since she was walking and potty trained early. She still was very anxious (still is, at almost 12) and needed us a lot (as most 2 yr olds do, but she was the velcro kid — couldn't go in another room or down the hall w/o us). She was the opposite of the runner kids who take off at the park. I had to peel her off me to put her in the swing or hold her hand all the way up the slide and all the way down it both. She was not quite 3 when dd2 was born and was great with her from day 1. She was never jealous. It was very hard to spread myself between the two especially since dd1 was so attached, but I didn't take anything away from her. I tandemed and I think that helped her a lot. I definitely felt spread thin a lot, but dd2 was a completely different kid. She's much more of a normal risk taker (not over the top, but not super cautious either) and learned to walk before she was one (dd1 was 17mo before she comfortably let go of our hands — velcro kid again). I think dd2 has been so great for dd1 and so great for our family as a whole and of course is just a great kid in her own right. Dd1 and dd2 play together all the time. They have many of the same friends. Dd1 is not a precocious pre-teen and still has a lot of the same interests that dd2 has. Dd2 is in 3rd grade, but often plays/acts like she's 4th grade and dd1 is in 6th grade, but often plays/acts like she's in 5th so they are mostly interested in the same kinds of things. It's certainly a relationship I never had with my sibs.

I do sometimes feel sorry for my friends that just have one, although I think they're certainly very happy. Two is harder, especially in the early years, but it's much better after the youngest is about 3 or 4 or so. They're self-entertaining and as an older parent I actually expend less energy keeping them occupied. I do think they learn a lot from having a sibling, too. It's really a different relationship than a friendship although with my kids they are certainly good friends, too. I see them with their friend who is an only, though, and I can see that she is bewildered at times by the sibling-ness. Sometimes my girls fuss and fight, but that is relatively short-lived. They've learned to work through their conflicts and compromise. 

Of course, it's all a gamble. You've got your prize now and are you content to take home that one or do you want to take a chance on what's behind door number 2? I think it's a win-win. Do whatever feels best for your family. We are really, really happy with two. My DH said he'd have a heart attack if we had 3, but boy, 2 seems just right for our family.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#10 of 25 Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 AM

I can certainly relate.  DH and I were together for a long time before we married.  We never even planned on having kids.  We were those classic TINKs (two incomes no kids).  But right before we got married, I realized I wanted a kid.  DH was apprehensive, but agreed that one kid would be cool.  So an only we set out to have.

As you can see by my signature, we are expecting #2.  Getting there was hard.  When DS was about 3 years old I started second guessing our decision on an only.  Between DS's birth and then, I've had to deal with my formerly independent mother having two strokes, losing her eyesight, moving to assisted living, selling her house... even though my sister lives in another part of the country, I don't know what I would have done without her.  Then DS started asking about siblings.  Then it became obvious to me that he'd never really have more than a superficial relationship with his cousins or any of his extended family really.  And I like babies.  Sure, they're a lot of work, and it does take away from "me" time, but now that DS is almost five, I can see that the time is soooo short.  I can't look at his baby pictures without bawling, you know?

It took an entire year to convince DH.  He still isn't all that excited, but he's taking one for the team.  Probably not ideal, I know.  But I think we can make it work.  He's more worried about money than anything else, he hates having to watch what he spends.  lol.gif  So because we both have careers, that's four more years of day care money.  And he just turned 40, I'll be 38 when #2 is born, he's worried about that too.  But in the end, I think DS will be a fantastic big brother and I feel like our family will finally be complete.  I think I'm really going to enjoy the age difference too.  I keep telling myself that we just skipped the kid in between, that's all.  orngtongue.gif  My sister and I are 12.5 years apart and it's just fine now.

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#11 of 25 Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 AM

I could have written this entire post!  Seriously, from the rocky childhood and age difference (DH is 7 years older than me, was 34 when DS was born) to not being a baby person, and from "totability" of one verbal toddler to knowing I don't have to decide right now, but having it bug my brain as an unresolved issue anyway.

I feel ya! hug.gif

Only differences are, DS has been a high needs baby since birth, and still is - really intense emotions, nurses constantly, very sensitive, hard with transitions, impossible to leave him with anyone (still!) and on and on and on - but also really perceptive, tenacious, smart (don't get me wrong, I adore him!).  smile.gif  That has been a huge learning experience for me, and I'm so glad he is my only, and I'm able to (mostly) give him everything he needs.  How to juggle that with another?  Hmmm....

Also, we only ever planned on having one, really.  There is a tiny window open for us for having a second, and depending on the day, I'm more or less ok with leaving that open -nded.  Sometimes, I really want to put my stake in the sand - I feel this need to plan, and to know what my life is going to look like for the next few years, ya know?  I want to know if I should donate/sell the baby junk.  I want to know if we should just go ahead and pull the trigger on this and be out of the baby years, or if it would be better to do it again with an older, more understanding and helpful kid.  I worry about DH being older (he's 36 now) and myself being older as well, since the majority of childcare falls on me as the SAHM and mama milk maker. winky.gif  How could I possibly keep up with DS with even LESS sleep???  And I need to balance my "me" time and personal life with this - reconcile it, etc.  

And sometimes (like now), I'm incredibly peaceful about letting our family develop in its own time, to be whatever it ends up looking like. om.gif  I figure, if the time is right, I'll know.

So, I don't have much wisdom, just commiseration!stillheart.gif

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#12 of 25 Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 AM

First, you do have time, I used to always think I wanted close spaced kids (my siblings and I are ~18 months apart in age) and a big family (there are 4 of us), but after having my first I changed my mind on a lot of things. Of course I love DD, but she was and still is a high needs child. As a baby, she wanted to be held 24/7, she has never napped well and still doesn't, and for a long time did not sleep well at night (let me tell you the celebration I was having when she was only waking 3 times a night consistently, and 2 times only OMG!) and she was and still is very intense. There was no way I was ready to even think about having another child until she was ~2.5 years old and finally was sleeping through the night, getting more independent, etc. Then I could finally picture our family with 3-4 year old DD and an infant being possible. Yes, DH and I have gotten a lot of our free time and couple time back now that she is older and I know I will miss it again, but I also know that the needy baby stage only lasts so long, while I was in it with DD I wasn't really sure it would ever end, even though I knew it would logically. We also felt that we didn't want to be too stretched financially and otherwise, so we settled on 2 kids being perfect for us.

So, we tried to get pregnant again and succeeded only to find out that we are going to have twins! So now we are going to have 3 kids and we're happy with that now, but oh boy were we in shock! A lot of plans have changed/delayed and again it's all going to work out, but I still am a bit bummed I don't get to have the experience of just one again (and I was frankly hoping for an "easy" baby this time too, so now I am hoping for two easy babies, yeah I know I won't be that lucky).

So yeah, I guess my advice is give yourself a little more time, talk to your DH and see what he thinks, etc. I knew I didn't want just one, but I was tempted many times before DD was 2-2.5 to call it one and done anyway. And one and done may end up being right for you, but I think you should give yourself some more time before deciding and also look at your finances, etc. so you have a clear picture of what it would be like.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#13 of 25 Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

I think it's just hard for me to change my mind. To admit "hey, I was wrong before". Admitting I'm wrong is very difficult for me. To say "I've assessed the situation differently now and come to a different conclusion" or to say "I may not be able to do absolutely everything I set my mind to"... that's hard. Or even to say "I could do it, but it probably wouldn't be best". And saying "I could do it, but I don't want to because I want more time to knit" seems like a limited analysis of the situation. 

Finances, practical stuff, DH's opinion, etc. aren't really issues. He's agreed to our original plan of three, but doesn't feel strongly about it and will go along with me if I want to stop sooner. We have a 4-bedroom house, and our finances can handle it either way. 

I think I'm just going to let it ride for the next few months. Of course, I could be pregnant right now and it could all be a moot point. 

I appreciate all the different perspectives and I'm still interested in hearing more!

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#14 of 25 Old 01-24-2013, 01:03 PM

It's hard, I'm sure. You are at a point where you feel comfortable and  confident with how the family is going. It isn't difficult going places. It probably seems crazy to rock the boat.

The advice I've heard about children regarding when to be "done", is not to think about how many kids you want to have, but how many people you want to visit for major holidays. WHen you think of thanksgiving (or another holiday) 15+ years into the future, is it a big table you want to have, or an intimate gathering of three?

The complications of divided time, energy and money all play against the ideas of companionship, siblings, and adult relationships. BUt there's no guarantees no matter what you decide.

My sister and I live fairly close, and help each other from time to time with kids. I love having a sister now. But when we were younger, things were not so rosy.

My own experience was that after my twins were born, I knew immediately that I wanted another at some point. After little sister, though, I've decided that I'm content.  And she was super easy-- I just feel that our family as it should be.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#15 of 25 Old 01-24-2013, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

If you give it time, the answer will come to you. Should you choose to have another, I would go for a natural birth spacing of 3-5 years (3-5 saves lives...  maternal and fetal).  It also makes it easier to fulfill a child's needs. Good luck, whatever your decison.

#16 of 25 Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 AM

Grouping them less than 3 years apart:  Two in diapers at the same time, which is tough. But then you get the diaper phase finished sooner.  Intense but short duration.  Two with sleep issues at once, two little ones physically dependent on parents at the same time.  But then the physical dependence and sleep deprivation phase is all over with.  Developmentally they're similar, they play together and bond more, relieving parents of being the soul source of entertainment so much.  That last one was my ob/gyn's opinion. I suppose it also means the temper tantrum phase overlaps.

Grouping them more than 3 years apart: well, you're extending parenthood that much longer.  Each time you have a child you restart the 18-year parent clock to the beginning.  On the other hand, you don't have two in diapers, you don't have two waking up several times a night.  The older one may not need help getting dressed, or getting food or a drink of water, or need help getting into and out of a car seat.  Etc. 

There's also having 2 in college at the same time.  All 3 of my sister's kids are in college. They're pretty well off, but she still says it's alarming how much money is going out the door.  The majority of their money is going to the University of California system.

#17 of 25 Old 01-25-2013, 09:36 AM

My sister and I are 5 years apart and BEST friends now.  It was not always easy growing up, but that is shorter lived than the relationship we have now.  

My good friend thought she was done and now is pregnant with #2 and the kids will be just over 5 years apart.  Seems like good spacing for them.

I don't think there is ever an ideal spacing (each one has challenges).  Mine are all around 2-2.5 years apart and it has been tough.... I am hoping that they grow up and love each other and are good friends, but I don't think spacing has much to do with that.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#18 of 25 Old 01-25-2013, 09:42 AM

I always wanted 4. After having one (even with a normal pregnancy & birth) I didn't think I wanted another one. One was hard enough.  But then I got pregnant again unexpectedly when DS1 was only 10mths old. So my boys are 19 mths apart. It was tough at first, I won't lie. Having a baby and such a young toddler can be over whelming. I spend a lot of time going on car rides to get them to nap together. But now that they are almost 4 and 2 yrs, I love having them so close together. They play together, entertain each other, use the same toys, etc. And yes, there is fighting, but nothing extreme. I grew up with 3 siblings and I don't think ever had any complaints. I still don't.

Now I went and did it again and am on baby #3. Still thinking about #4, but its not out of the question.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#19 of 25 Old 01-25-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post

My sister and I are 5 years apart and BEST friends now.  It was not always easy growing up, but that is shorter lived than the relationship we have now.  

My good friend thought she was done and now is pregnant with #2 and the kids will be just over 5 years apart.  Seems like good spacing for them.

I don't think there is ever an ideal spacing (each one has challenges).  Mine are all around 2-2.5 years apart and it has been tough.... I am hoping that they grow up and love each other and are good friends, but I don't think spacing has much to do with that.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Yes, I'm 7 years and 13 years younger than my sisters.  They weren't my playmates, in fact the oldest was like a second mom to me until she abandoned me   wink1.gif  went off to college.  But we're close now and love hanging out.  Too bad we can't more often!

#20 of 25 Old 01-25-2013, 11:38 AM

I agree with so many posts above: don't rush into anything if you aren't sure. DH and I both wanted 2 from the start but I was hoping for about a 3 year age gap. We were going to wait until DD's second birthday to start trying but we were "spontaneous" once and BAM! Baby number two is on the way! DD will be 28 months or so when the new arrival shows up and I'll be honest, I'm a little nervous. Before the pregnancy she nursed 6 or more times a day but mercifully she cut back to just three at the moment. Yes she nurses to sleep and I'm pretty worried about leaving her overnight with my mom (whom DD adores btw) but she still has about six months to grow and develop before crunchtime. On the plus side, I'm a little younger and a bit more in tune with the baby skills still and there's very little we need to buy for this baby (apart from clothes if it's a boy).

I guess my point is, if you're unsure then give yourself time. My brother and I are 5 years apart and were always together as kids. We still have a good relationship and my DD sees her cousins about twice a month and they are super close. My DH and his sister are 17 months apart and are much less close as adults. We see them (and sadly our nephew) less for sure. If ultimately two kids is right for you, then there is time. You don't seem concerned about fertility so there is no hurry. I have to say that apart from a rich childhood, I was very happy to have a sibling when my dad passed away in his early fifties. It was very comforting not to go through the loss alone with my mom. On a happier note, I'm also super grateful that my DD has three wonderful cousins; something she would be missing if DH and I were onlies.

A not right now is not necessarily a not ever but if your gut is telling you not to mess with what you've got now, listen. Ultimately your instincts are a good indicator for what would be best for your family.
#21 of 25 Old 01-25-2013, 09:30 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe

I have done both - raised an only, then, when ElderSon was almost 15, I had 2 more. A year and 2 weeks apart. Didn't exactly plan that detail (yes, it is possible to get pregnant while exclusively breastfeeding). The intensity of my relationship with ElderSon was more than with the Dumplings, but in many ways, 2 is easier in my experience. They amused each other, and my lifestyle was already set up for kids at whatever age and stage. I think they benefited from growing up with each other - sharing, empathy, things like that seemed to come more naturally to close siblings. Neither of the younger ones, now teens, are very close to the older one, but I don't know how that might change when they are adults. I have a sister, 15 years my senior, with whom I am closer than my 2 year younger brother. See a family pattern here, anyone?

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#22 of 25 Old 01-26-2013, 02:31 PM

I have two brothers, one is much younger;  I am 13 years his senior.  I was absolutely a surrogate parent, and I still treasure the memories of him slipping into my bed with his lovey at night, before I moved away.  As adults, we don't have the same kind of closeness that I have with my close-in-age brother, but that is a mixed blessing, truly.  We also don't have the same "baggage" as I have with my other brother. 

I feel the same as you on many levels with just "the one".  I cannot imagine loving another child the same way I love her.  It seems impossible.  I also struggle because I am the eldest, and there has never been any question in my mind that my younger brother was far more liked (and loved, I suppose) than I was.  I am terribly afraid that I will favor one child over another, and I will leave one of my children with the same kind of hurt that I have.

On the other hand, I want Little Miss to have siblings, and I do kind of miss the little baby phase.  Unbelievable, but true.

I wish I had advice, but I only have encouragement, and empathy.  smile.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#23 of 25 Old 01-27-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

You don't have to decide today.  (My kids are 5 years apart).

No you do not. 

DS turned 7 in December.  I was pretty sure-even encouraged DH to get a vasectomy (he never did)-that he was going to be it.  I'm happy.  DH has always wanted more.  But has gone along with me-hoping I'd change my mind.  DS has wanted a brother or sister for years.  Talks regularly about when we get a baby.

Three or four weeks ago it changed for me.  I have no idea what it is that changed but it all did.  In late April/May we are going to start trying for another.  No idea if I'll get pregnant (age) but we are giving it ago.  I am actually really good with what will be an eight year age gap.  In the past I would always end up feeling sorry for DS and how things would change for him-but anytime I start that now I force myself to not think that way.  This is truly what everyone (now ;)) wants.  

So for all the things you are thinking now-imagine adding several years onto that.  We are done with ALL the baby stuff and getting a child who can do things solo, be independent and we are throwing that all out (thoughts I had yesterday) and starting over.   

~*Heather*~
Wife to J 9/00 Mama to K 12/05
#24 of 25 Old 01-27-2013, 06:03 PM

I always said I would have two kids. And then I had one. DD1 was this very intense, screaming child, well for years. I couldn't even entertain the idea of other child. Every time someone else around me fell pregnant, I thought they had lost their mind. Back there somewhere in my mind, two children sounded good but as long as it just wasn't anytime soon. winky.gif Eventually the day came where i woke up one day and was ready to be pregnant, right then, I was ready! The two girls are just shy of 4 years apart. The spacing was wonderful. We went on to have a boy exactly 2.5 years after the last girl. When that boy was 18 months I unexpectedly became pregnant with another boy. dizzy.gif I went from leisurely having 2 kids in four years to then having the last 3 kids in four years. We have certainly crossed over to the large family category now. Some days I truly can't believe this is my life. The noise level, the chaos, the sheer level of insanity that is our daily life. Wow. It makes those first few years with just DD1 seem so very long ago and so very peacefully. We COULD travel and tote her places, it wasn't easy because well, easy and DD1 have never ever existed in the same sentence but we could of done it. These days just going to the grocery store and everyone living through it feels like climbing Mt. Everest. I don't like to think about the things I could be doing had I only had 10 year old DD1, but I'm guessing it doesn't involve prying the 18 month monkey off the bookcase for the 500th time every day while he screams and hits me! 

I'm not big on having more kids just for siblings. Have more kids because you want to. If you desperately desire more children then have them, it will be fine, if you don't desire more, then don't, it will be fine too. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#25 of 25 Old 01-27-2013, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought I was done after one. She was such a high needs baby. It was really hard.

I eventually changed my mind, but my kids are seven years apart. I actually like the age spread. They don't fight over stuff because they use different stuff. I can concentrate on the little one when I need to because the older one is very independent. I was able to focus on the older one in her needier years without having to split my attention between her and a baby. It really worked out well. There are positives and negatives to close, medium, and longer spacing. I'm quite happy with how things worked out for us.

And of course having an only child has positivies and negatives compared to having more than one child too. Nothing wrong with sticking to one if that ends up feeling right.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page