At what age do you think hair coloring is OK - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 02-15-2013, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

oooh i'm insanely jealous L. you look FABULOUS. i tried it but it doesnt suit me very well. btw i love, love, love the photo. not just you but those beautiful pretty white flowers behind you. 

i love grey hair. i cant wait for mine to turn silver. it has started but at an extremely s l o w  rate. 

You guys are making me BLUSH!  That's my pear tree and it grows the best fruit.  *swoon*

And I'm right there with you about grey/silver hair!  I started getting my first greys (now that I'm the ungodly age of 28) and I was so excited I did a happy dance and made The Hubby join in.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#32 of 49 Old 02-15-2013, 12:28 PM

irked.gif

I started silvering at 19.  I'm nearly 50% gone now, except I'm blonde enough that people don't seem to notice.  Or they're very kind.  I don't color any more.

Clearly, I was not amused.  Oh well.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#33 of 49 Old 02-15-2013, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

If it weren't for the chemical factor, I'd be okay with dyeing hair at any age, as long as it's their choice. It's the chemical thing that bothers me -- I just can't get past it and I think i'm pretty much a firm "no" on doing it at all ti my kids are adults. If there were a totally safe way to go, I'd reconsider.

#34 of 49 Old 02-15-2013, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Henna is natural. We use Light Mountain Naturals. We've only used the "fox" one which is just henna, nothing else. Some of the other colors have other botanicals mixed in.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#35 of 49 Old 02-15-2013, 11:18 PM

My friend with the green haired 2 year old reached out and grabbed a handful of dye and plopped it on his head when they were doing Dad's hair. Definitely his decision. smile.gif
#36 of 49 Old 02-23-2013, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

For other families, it's fine whenever they choose to do it. For us, it's something I'm not really cool with until ... I don't know when, but not yet. Maybe the teen years? We live in an affluent area, where several of my 3rd grader's classmates have iPhones, highlights in their hair, name-brand clothes, are always styled to the hilt, etc., and that's just repulsive to me (sorry to be so blunt). My kids don't even use hair gel or anything -- they just look like plain old little kids. Even when I flat-iron my hair for an event, I feel too "done up" -- I guess I just have an aversion to that look, because so many women who live around me look like the OC Housewives. 

ETA: Having a neon streak seems much more age-appropriate to me than blonde highlights. I think I would be much more likely to agree to blue or green than blonde. But the kids' school has a policy against non-natural hair colors, and neither of my kids have asked, so it's a non-issue for us. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#37 of 49 Old 02-23-2013, 03:18 PM

The henna is fun, natural, natural hair color (red) and looks pretty good. It fades out of medium to dark hair in a couple of months. Here's what some streaks look like (not me or mine, found online):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29765

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

#38 of 49 Old 02-23-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post

The henna is fun, natural, natural hair color (red) and looks pretty good. It fades out of medium to dark hair in a couple of months. Here's what some streaks look like (not me or mine, found online):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29765

I love how that looks! My daughter would like it too I bet and it isn't a chemical! :)

#39 of 49 Old 02-26-2013, 03:55 PM

Probably 13+ for anything. Whether that's bright pink hair or subtle highlights. Doesn't matter which gender.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#40 of 49 Old 02-28-2013, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I was crazy with this as a teenager. I did every color imaginable. I eventually had a bleach job go bad and lost my waist length hair to a pixie cut. I was pretty devastated.

It may just be me imagining things but I feel like everyone I know that used the harsh chemical dyes never really got their natural hair back completely. We all ended up with limp stingy thinning hair by our mid twenties even after stopping the dyes. 

So my issue isn't really the color it's the chemicals. They are horrible for our bodies, our hair and the environment. If I knew then what I know now I would have never done it. 

That said, at maybe 13 I would say natural henna is okay for either gender. 

mama to three little ladies
#41 of 49 Old 02-28-2013, 11:38 AM

I secretly can't wait until my son wants his hair dyed LOL

I probably wouldn't do it as a small toddler just because he'd lose interest before we even bought the dye and it would just be a lot of extra work for me, but if he was 4ish or up, I'd do it.

It's pretty cool that so many people are accepting of it these days, I've always thought it looked cute but until now have only heard negative things about it (or their parents)

#42 of 49 Old 03-01-2013, 07:46 AM

I'd probably be ok with it at any age where they would pay for it (either with $$ or trading chores for me to pay $$) and take care of it. Hair is so easy to grow out again, so its a temporary decision if it turns out poorly. I might be more hesitant if really harsh chemicals are used just because as others have said I know that can sometimes permanently damage hair, but some fun streaks of koolaid or something else less chemically, sure!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#43 of 49 Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 PM

I don't like the idea of using harsh permanent colors on a child (or anyone, really... I've only ever used semi-permanent dye myself). And quite frankly I don't get why everyone wants to be blonder than they are--I don't understand why so many people have highlights. I would discourage that in my child. But if she wanted to use temporary or semi-permanent dye I wouldn't make a thing of it. She is decently likely to stay somewhere on the blonde-light brown spectrum, and therefore she'll probably get decent results without having to use permanent dye.

When I was 13 my best friend and I dyed my hair using semi-permanent dye and my mom flipped her lid. She said "hair dye isn't appropriate for minors". Her theory was hair dye is intended only for covering up gray. Ugh, whatever! I did it again shortly before my senior portraits and some entertaining mental gymnastics on her part ensued. Oh, and my mom highlights her hair because she is in denial about the fact that she's not blonde... so maybe I am biased.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#44 of 49 Old 03-08-2013, 01:26 AM

Oh! Whoops! I clicked thinking the post was about chemicals. *blush* I was concerned about chemicals. Didn't realize that parents were concerned about appropriateness.

It's just that it's very common here in Hawaii for kids to have dyed hair. It's not even an issue. They aren't allowed to have it dyed in school, but once summer vacation starts, you see lots of kids with wild color and cuts. It's super cute and 100% normal and accepted here. But then so are tattoos. I don't think I've ever met anyone without one or who wasn't planning on getting one soon. A lot of parents here take their kids to get their first tattoo when they turn 18. Completely unheard of on the mainland where I am originally from, but completely integrated in the culture here.

I guess I'd say if it weren't toxic, I'd let my kids color at any age assuming they aren't in school. We homeschool/unschool so that's not my personal issue with it. I'd love to color my son's hair but I really worry about the chemicals. I was hoping this thread would have info on safety. I guess for now we'll hold out and if my kids insist, we'll try the Kool-aid method. They are both blondies so it should last for a bit. I've never colored or treated my hair, it's virgin, but I've always wanted to color it something wild. I'm just too scared to take the plunge. :)

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#45 of 49 Old 03-08-2013, 07:32 AM

amber, check out Light Mountain Naturals hair color. It's the henna I use, but it comes in many other close to regular hair color shades (i.e. not fluorescent green, but a cool indigo black and the fire red henna). It's all botanicals. The Kool-Aid is not always temporary. I know a blond boy whose hair was dyed with Kool-Aid for Halloween so he could be Harry Potter. It washed out to a blue-gray and then wouldn't budge the rest of the way. He spent at least the next year with sort of blue/gray/green/blond hair. It was a pretty weird color, but I guess he didn't want to cut it and he didn't mind the color. 

#46 of 49 Old 03-08-2013, 10:18 AM

I had really good luck mixing Wilton Icing color with shampoo to do a streak in my daughter's hair.
#47 of 49 Old 03-08-2013, 11:18 AM

Thanks, beanma!

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#48 of 49 Old 03-15-2013, 03:35 AM

My dd has had streaks put in her hair every year since she was 8. We do it in June after school and it's almost all gone by September.
#49 of 49 Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantelle691 View Post

My dd has had streaks put in her hair every year since she was 8. We do it in June after school and it's almost all gone by September.

Love it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page