tips for leaving baby all day with babysitter he doesn't know - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-02-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas,

My DS is 8 months old and I have been lucky to be able to stay home with him so far but soon I will go back to work (as a university professor).  I've found a daycare I like and have a plan to gradually get him adjusted there at the end of March. But in the meantime I have two out of town work trips (one a job interview) during which I will bring him with me but leave him with sitters for a full work day.  For both he will be with sitters he doesn't know at all and there's no time to get him warmed up to them.  Is there anything I can do to make this easier for him? I've tried leaving him with sitters for up to 2 hours a time and he gets very upset when he realizes I'm gone. I'm dreading this on his behalf.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-07-2013, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

i wish there was an easy answer, but there is not. 

you have to do what you have to do. 

maybe take him to his favourite place he likes to go - like a park, or a grocery store (that was my dd's favourite place to go) - anything to divert his attention. a shower. a new toy. take him out - to the mall or something which will fascinate him. 

he will cry a lot and that will exhaust him into falling asleep. 

you've already tried and he wont go to anyone else. 

dunno what to day. right now the answers are black and white with no grey inbetween. 

if he is a stubborn child nothign will divert him. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#3 of 3 Old 02-07-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks, meemee. I found a sitter who has experience with infants and kids with separation anxiety for the first trip, and my older son (the one other person my baby is 100% comfortable with) has offered to come for the second trip, so I am feeling a little better about it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page