February 2013 Rockstar Mamas Thread - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 240 Old 02-25-2013, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

MW  - Yes, and I had to hold him still in addition.  A nurse held his head as still as possible and I stayed right in his line of sight, but it was still awful.  The dr did such a great job considering how unhappy Finn was to get it done.  As soon as they were finished, they opened the restraint and he frantically signed all done, all done, and I just put him right on the boob.  He sat in shock calming down latched and not even nursing for at least 5 min, probably longer.  I let him nurse for a long time, 20 min?  Maybe more.  The dr and nurse had to leave, so they showed me how to bandage the wound.  There was no way I was popping him off before he was ready.  He drifted off to sleep even he was so exhausted.  Once I felt like we'd both calmed down, I carried him to the car and he was really ok.  I was really shaken up.  I had my ILs stay for awhile after we got back to help me w/them a bit more.  

The nurse was so impressed he was bf'ing.  She said it was great and wonderful, and that is why he's so big, healthy, and strong.  

I truly love our urgent care.  Truly.  I don't think I mentioned it but we are switching to them for family care.  No more pediatrician!  They can do well visits and vaccines and I'm really interested to see how it all turns out.  I can't tell you how much better I feel never having to go back to that awful pediatric group.

Oh and I def agree with you.   Nothing is worth our relationship.  Nothing is THAT important.  Agreed.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 of 240 Old 02-25-2013, 06:35 AM

I can't exactly say what it is about either organization, but I just don't care for either. I know they are unrelated. Maybe it's the cliquishness? I don't mind fundraisers in general, but I truly dislike the intense competition and expectation of my children to sell things. It's one of the big issues I have with public schools. Yeah, there are ethical concerns at the big level - especially with boy scouts - but IDK if that really colors my opinion of a local group - whose leaders might actually feel quite differently. (they might not, but you never know)

Choices: we are omnivorous and don't really have ANY dietary restrictions. I am not strict about any of it. I do try to limit the food coloring (especially red 40), HCFS, MSG, etc, and artificial sweeteners. Haven't talked much with the kids about that stuff yet . . . one day. When we have a reasonable choice between say, farm fresh eggs and Wal-mart brand (at not too much of a price difference and availablity, etc) we choose the farm - one day we'll explain, but the question hasn't popped up yet.

If we did have strong feelings about it, I would set a specific age at which I might let them do some exploration, like maybe 10? And make it a true well rounded experience - not just buying ice cream at the store, or eating an egg, but taking a trip to a farm, seeing the chickens, where they lay eggs, how some eggs turn into chicks, etc, and see if the desire to experiment is still there. You could do that sort of thing now (the trip, etc) but I don't know if I'd be comfortable letting them make that decision at age 4. But it's a good age to satisfy some curiosity as to where food comes from.

School: I think somewhere in middle or high school, I'll let them make a choice to attend school or not. homeschooling to me is as important about laying a good foundation down for them as anything else (which I really don't think the school system currently does, in teaching or modeling good thinking skills, decision making, life skills, etc) But especially high school as much about an experience as learning stuff. But maybe that's because I enjoyed high school.

The only choice/decision I feel strongly about at this point is body alteration, like ear piercing. I'l let them choose to do that I think around age 10, should any of them want to pierce their ears. (or whatever) - there is no going back on that.

I hope everyone is well, and gets no more stitches this week! we need a calm week. Well, I'd love for Theo to be born sometime soon, but beyond that, that's all the excitement I need.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#213 of 240 Old 02-25-2013, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Aw, poor baby! D was like that with the x-rays. He screamed the whole time and two of us had to hold him down. As soon as he could get up he clung to me for dear life. greensad.gif

In other news, I told you all the boys had a sleep-over Saturday night. That means that at least when we went to bed it was just dh, me and D in the bed. We have a twin set up next to our king. DH put the twin mattress in K's room so each boy would have a bed an no one would have to sleep on the floor. You'd think that would mean that dh would sleep in the king bed with me, maybe even cuddle a little. Would you believe he slept on the twin boxspring?! WTH was that about? And, yeah, I asked him. He said the bed was too soft. So what? You finally have an opportunity to sleep right next to your wife and you choose to sleep on a boxspring with no pillow and no blanket instead?! He better not complain to me about any lack of intimacy in our relationship.

D is getting to be so much fun. In addition to the signing, he's been winking at me and waving at everyone who goes by. He has learned how to spin himself in a circle until he gets dizzy. That's not necessarily a good thing. He fell down a couple of times yesterday. It was kind of funny, though, considering he did it to himself. And he's becoming so dramatic. If he gets the slightest bit hurt, he comes to me with the most pitiful face, fake crying like, "huh, huh, huh," and wants a kiss. As soon as he gets a kiss wherever he was hurt, he runs off to play some more.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#214 of 240 Old 02-25-2013, 07:35 AM

Carrie - I think that you should be able to say that this is what your family does and you can discuss it as she gets older.

I don't plan on giving Becca the option of choosing whether or not she is homeschooled at this point in time (she is 7) and her participation in church is not negotiable. There are certain things we do or do not do and as part of our family that's just the way it is. We're not willing to let her choose right now, it's simply not an option. 

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#215 of 240 Old 02-25-2013, 08:14 AM

Church isn't an option either here; Gabe does have the option of sitting with us or going back to the kids area. He chooses to sit with us.

I wish I had more exciting stuff to report. All I have got is lots of system purging and prodromal labor at night.

This icky weather needs to stop, Gabe is literally bouncing off the walls. Naked, I might add.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#216 of 240 Old 02-25-2013, 03:23 PM

NOOO not prodromal!  Oh lordy I hope that baby comes soon.  Thinking of you, Kat!

naked bouncing sounds...interesting!  I hope he gets his sillies out somehow.  

I need wine!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#217 of 240 Old 02-26-2013, 05:12 AM

mmmm. Wine :) It's not as bad as it was with Gabe - with him it started at 37 weeks and lasted till birth, off and on, at 41+6. Norah I had a bit maybe last week or so I was pregnant. So I'm hoping I don't have much of it. mostly it's just a PITA. Just be the real thing, already.

I'm as ready as I'm going to be. The house is a bit of a mess, but I figure there is really no sense in trying to keep it spotless. We've been doing better at keeping it manageable, but really, unless we are not here, there is no chance it's going to stay really clean.

I have a final meeting with my doula on Friday, I'm kind of hoping he comes then. I'll be 39 + 2, day is 3/1/13 a good birthday - and it's a Friday, so all the grandparents will be available to take the kids. Plus my doula lives about an hour away, and she'll already be in town, so that's a plus.

Anyway - how's Finn and his toy story bandaids? holding up ok? is Nora jealous of the attention? or a good caregiver?

#218 of 240 Old 02-26-2013, 06:24 AM

If the mess isn't bugging you and it's sanitary who cares?  Once he comes it'll be a shitstorm of chaos anyway. winky.gif Just relax, do the minimum required to not stress out over it.  Ok -- sending birthy vibes for friday!!!  Lets go baby!!! goodvibes.gif

Sigh.  Poor Finn.  He's really doing ok -- has his moments when I know it's just bugging him.  He's kinda bothered by the bandaids so I'm really only stressing keeping it covered when he's eating something messy or sleeping (b/c I figure that's a good chunk of time for it to be kept moist and still).  I just feel so bad for the guy.  Nora's being really great.  I think she still feels bad since it was kind of her fault.  She keeps saying, "Careful buddy, careful!  don't pop a stitch!" when he's being nuts!  It's kind of nice.  I worry so much about her lack of empathy overall so it's really nice to see this compassionate and caring side of her starting to come thru.

confession - sometimes I start to feel guilty for not homeschooling.  but by the time tuesday comes I'm SO READY and happy I can send Nora off to school!  I'm just not cut out to be (or patient enough) to do this and be on top of both kids all the time.  I reach my limit so often.

More and more I'm feeling completely done with having more babies.  I'm comfortable now saying that we will decide about another when Finn is in kindy.  Right now I can't fathom another even then, but we'll see.  I feel like once I'm that far out from newborn-ness, I'll either be too happy to want to start over, or the overwhelming desire to have another will be so strong I won't be able to say no.  That'll be the deciding factor.  Not having to think about it until then gives me a break from what if what if what if and I can just enjoy where I'm at right now.

Ive lost so much weight from being sick!  It's a mixed blessing.  I wanted the weight off but now I'm really trying to make sure I'm getting enough vitamins and healthy foods.  My appetite still isn't 100% and I think yesterday I barely ate enough at all.  My favorite jeans are too loose.  As nice as it is, I hate shopping for new jeans!  LOL.

#219 of 240 Old 02-26-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

confession - sometimes I start to feel guilty for not homeschooling.  but by the time tuesday comes I'm SO READY and happy I can send Nora off to school!  I'm just not cut out to be (or patient enough) to do this and be on top of both kids all the time.  I reach my limit so often.

More and more I'm feeling completely done with having more babies.  I'm comfortable now saying that we will decide about another when Finn is in kindy.  Right now I can't fathom another even then, but we'll see.  I feel like once I'm that far out from newborn-ness, I'll either be too happy to want to start over, or the overwhelming desire to have another will be so strong I won't be able to say no.  That'll be the deciding factor.  Not having to think about it until then gives me a break from what if what if what if and I can just enjoy where I'm at right now.

Honestly? That's the way I feel about being a WOHM. I hate leaving Ava, don't get me wrong, but it IS nice to go somewhere and have adult conversations for 8 hrs. Since DH and I pretty much just switch off, we do a lot of solo parenting and that crap is hard! I wish I had a better childcare situation. Actually, scratch that. I wish my DH would be more comfortable saying that his work day is from 7a-3p so that he could just come home and be with her. I don't like shuttling her all over the place or waking her from a nap to load her in the car.

I don't know where I am on the more babies thing. I'd absolutely love another. But if I'm really honest with myself, I'm ok if it's just going to be Ava. When I think about things I want to do in the future like homeschooling, travel, vacations, etc. I only picture Ava. That's got to mean something, right? I took last night off from work because our local doula group had arranged a private tour with the head nurse for the maternity unit at the non-state hospital here in town. They were in the process of moving to their new building when Ava was born so I missed going to the shiny new building by about 3 weeks. Anyways, I hadn't been in the new hospital and I was going to be my friend's doula for her Aug birth before she lost the baby so I decided I should go and familiarize myself with it. I had a thought that it might be hard for me since I hadn't been on a labor unit since Ava was born but I figured that since it was a new building, I wouldn't have any issues. Man, was I wrong. The head nurse had two LD nurses and one of the nursery nurses come in so we could ask them questions about procedures, policies, etc. One of the LD nurses that came in was one of my postpartum nurses. She REALLY helped me the second night when I was at the hospital alone and having a really tough time. She sat with me for a few hours while I cried and just listened. She was awesome. I have wanted to send her a thank-you card but I could never remember her name. It was great to see her and thank her in person but I was fighting back tears for most of the meeting. But the new hospital is GORGEOUS. I'd love to birth there. I'm ok leaving that door partly open but I don't think I would be devastated if it's closed for good. 

akind1, I hope baby Theo shows up soon. I love the feeling of those last couple of weeks. The anticipation of the baby watch. I can't wait to see him!

MW, that's so weird that your DH chose to sleep on the boxspring. Sometimes, I want to knock him upside the head for you!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#220 of 240 Old 02-26-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:

I worry so much about her lack of empathy overall so it's really nice to see this compassionate and caring side of her starting to come thru.

I understand about the lack of empathy, Becca seems to be running on the low side also. It is so very frustrating and it's something that it seems like should just be natural, not forced.

Don't feel guilty for not homeschooling, there are days when I wish I could send my kids to school! One of the reasons I didn't want to homeschool was because I wanted some time to myself, now that we are in the midst of it (a year in now) I don't notice as much if that makes sense.

While I was pregnant with our last one we were talking about ending up with 4 or 5, I don't know how I feel about that right now. I know that I want more babies, but I don't feel the overwhelming desire to have a baby right now. I do however have a crazy urge to be pregnant again.

Ben turns 2 tomorrow! I have no birthday plans whatsoever and his presents (a small set of bongo's and a picture book) are still sitting unwrapped in my room. I should probably make a cake of some sort.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#221 of 240 Old 02-26-2013, 10:01 PM

Needs to come back later...

So back to (being too lazy to) charting to avoid... Dtd last night, no protection because I was on day 11 and hadn't had any fertile cf. gobbbbbs of stretchy ewcf today. Fml

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#222 of 240 Old 02-27-2013, 04:34 AM

JJ: lazy will eventually = babies.

I am very content with 3 (or the idea of 3 at this point) - we had always said 3 since we got married, and now, in the trenches with 2 young ones and adding another so close, I am ready to move on out of this baby phase. I'm going to treasure every last bit of it though.

I'm alot more zen and a lot less desperatate than I remember being during the last few weeks of the other 2 pregnancies. I think part of it is knowing that the breast pump does work, when it's really time (and it will again, if it comes to that. random nipple twiddling sets of minor contractions, so I'm certain the pump would do the trick if I wanted to) - and having that "ace" in my pocket sets my mind at ease a little.

39 weeks today, so really, really, any day now.

Last night was rough, Norah has an ouchy butt and lots of painful gas, which made her screamy and restless last night. poor baby.

Homeschooling vs traditional schooling - don't feel guilty. You do what works for you and your children. Some kids do really well with school. And it doesn't always have to be one or the other, you know. You can do the things that you might like about homeschooling in your time with her outside of it - opportunites she's not likely to get in a regular school - to really round out her education. Or maybe one day you'll decide homeschooling is a better fit, at least for a while. (Take a year off, travel cross country, or something)

For us, it'll be homeschooling, for lots of reasons, at lease for the first few years.

#223 of 240 Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

yeahthat.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#224 of 240 Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwoten View Post

Needs to come back later...

So back to (being too lazy to) charting to avoid... Dtd last night, no protection because I was on day 11 and hadn't had any fertile cf. gobbbbbs of stretchy ewcf today. Fml

GIRL I'm going to be stalking you now!!  Ha!!!

Any dtd before confirmed O is risky, I learned that and swear by it!  I think we only dtd w/o protection like, the week I"m pms-ing b/c it's the only time I'm SURE it's ok.  I can't be too careful!

Realization this am after Nora and I butted heads AGAIN for the millionth time -- I need to lower my expectations.  Just b/c she's capable of helping me out or doing something doesn't mean she must.  I am getting too frustrated that she's "not listening" when really she is just being non-compliant.  She doesn't want to do what I ask.  I wish she would help me out more, but it's just SUCH  a battle.

I think I just got really used to her wanting to help and always wanting to please, that now when she refuses I get angry.  

#225 of 240 Old 02-27-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I think I just got really used to her wanting to help and always wanting to please, that now when she refuses I get angry.

They go through phases, I think. E used to love to help out but not so much anymore. K likes to help more but is beginning to be too busy sometimes. D is just starting to want to help but usually ends up making things harder, like unfolding the clean laundry and putting it back in the dirty clothes basket. lol.gif

Last night D was dragging dh's bag of wet cammies from having to do his swim qualification all over the house. It was so cute and funny because it was heavy for him. He was grunting and really pulling hard, periodically stopping to try to lift and carry it. He eventually got it to the middle of the family room and plopped it down in front of me like, "Here you go. Now do something with it."

I have found that the more I do for my kids, the more they are willing to do for me and others. When I get testy and whiny about having to do everything, they are much less likely to help anyone else out.

#226 of 240 Old 02-27-2013, 09:19 AM

Thankfully, Gabe is in a helpful stage. His favorite thing is to take out the trash - which is really awesome, I think. His next favorite thing is to beg "baby" to help him clean up. That's really funny. I find I get the most success out of helping him help me - he will clean up if I clean up with him, or at least sit with him while he does. I don't blame him, after all, why should I just sit on my butt while he cleans? (even though he made the mess, and I really don't feel like getting up . . . )

Now, if only he would be potty trained, for everybody, regardless of his state of dress, or undress. With me, he's good probably 80-90% of the time, which is really lovely. DH . . .like maybe 50%? My parents are probably 10% and the ILs are striking out completely. The last because they don't ever let him be naked (they say it's too cold. If Gabe's cold, he'll put on something. He brought me a diaper the other day bc he said his penis was cold. I told him he could wear underwear or a pull up if he was cold. He chose to stay naked) I know it will happen eventually, I just wish I knew what, if anything, we could do to make it better.

D is so cute! Norah doesn't quite do that kind of stuff yet. But she does, sometimes, bring me things when asked. I do wish she "obeyed" better. I say NO alot more to her than I did to Gabe.

#227 of 240 Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 AM

Cleaning up is one thing, I don't mean so much as doing what I tell her to in that regard.  I mean, helping out with Finn -- bringing me a dipe if she's closer, if he's fussing b/c he can't reach something and I'm busy, etc.  I just want her to help out.  This morning I was naked in my room trying to get dressed after my shower, and she's all "MOMMM, FINN HAS A PEN AND IS WRITING ON THE WALLLLLL!"  I was like, "Take it from him please, I'll be out in a minute!"  "NO I WANT YOU TO." as she's just sitting there watching him write on the wall.  I was like, really?  REALLY?  I got a little mad.  Why can't she just freaking HELP?  

Lately his thing is to barge into the bathroom while I"m in the shower, climb up on the toilet and turn the water on in the sink full blast, and play in it.  He thinks he's freaking hilarious.  I can't get him down while Im in the water.  Today I'm in the shower and Nora comes in and is mad b/c she needs to use the potty and he's standing on it.  I was like, either help him get down or use the potty chair.  NOOOO I WANT YOU TO GET HIM DOWN!  But I'm in the shower, honey, I'm soaked.  It makes more sense for you to really quickly pee in the froggy potty or hold his hand so he can get down.  NOOOO!  *tears* I WANT YOU TO MOVE HIM!!  I NEED TO GO, I NEED TO GO!

Sigh.  It's like so frustrating.  Just do what's easiest!!!  I ended up jumping out sopping wet and getting him off the toilet, and she peed.  Idk if I just need to chill and not flip out over these things or if this is more of a behavior I should work on with her.

And yes I'm def feeling overwhelmed with all the travel Chris has had this month, and all the sickness.  I feel like I'll never catch up on chores and I'm really tired.  I'm tired of doing everything and of wiping every butt and every nose and taking all the sickies to the dr over and over, and making all the meals only to have them not eaten or thrown on the floor!  GRRR!!  Cuss.gif

#228 of 240 Old 02-27-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

And yes I'm def feeling overwhelmed with all the travel Chris has had this month, and all the sickness.  I feel like I'll never catch up on chores and I'm really tired.  I'm tired of doing everything and of wiping every butt and every nose and taking all the sickies to the dr over and over, and making all the meals only to have them not eaten or thrown on the floor!  GRRR!!  Cuss.gif

It does get exhausting and frustrating. Give yourself a break! You don't have to get everything back in order right away. Take time to breathe. It will all get worked out eventually.

Is she maybe a little scared or something because (if) Finn gets upset if she takes the pen from him or makes him get down off the toilet? K doesn't like to help so much with things like that with D because D gets mad at K.

Annie ~ Isn't that strange about my dh? Yesterday he came and just stood in front of me hovering. He didn't say a word. After a minute or so I asked him what he was doing. He said he was waiting for me to come to a stopping point in my knitting. I told him I wasn't going to come to a stopping point. I was working. If he wanted me to stop, he needed to say something. I kept on knitting. When I got to the end of a row, he asked me if I was at a point where I could stop so I did. He leaned down to kiss me but set the alarm on his watch in the process. I asked him what he was doing and he said nothing and continued to move toward me like he was going to kiss me. I asked him why he was setting his watch. Then he got all pissy, stood up and said, "Nothing. Nevermind. It was just something I read," and walked away. Geez! Why couldn't he just tell me wth he was doing? I don't want to kiss someone who's on a timer. eyesroll.gif

#229 of 240 Old 02-27-2013, 06:09 PM

Meehhh, I don't get the feeling she's afraid of making him mad, I get the feeling she can't be bothered.  It is what it is.  I think I'm just used to her being compliant, and suddenly she realizes hey -- I don't have to do anything I don't want to do -- sort of any autonomy thing.  So she's using it ALL the time and it just gets hard.  Tonight went a lot better.  I also remembered to get down on her level and speak softly when I needed her to do something, instead of just asking normally.  She responded way better.

MW that timer thing has me scratching my freaking head.  WTH?!?  I wouldn't have done it either.  Weird weird weird.  

COME ON BABY!  Let's go Theo!!  2whistle.gif

#230 of 240 Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 PM

I heard something about kissing your partner for a minute straight or something like that recently on the radio. Maybe he heard or read something like that? There was a study about it. IDK, I start to feel claustrophobic if a kiss is held too long. Like I can't breathe.

JJ, I think we'll all be interested in what's happening in your uterus over the next couple of weeks!

Oh Baby_Cakes, I meant to tell you. If you are leaning towards a Cars theme for Finn's b-day, you should check your DollarTree. I went to one of our's today and they have so many Cars-themed items like books, coloring books, puzzles, etc that would be great party favors. I saw a bunch of Sesame Street/Elmo stuff so I think I'm going to try to go back this weekend and get some stuff to put away for Ava's. I'm just going to make the executive decision that her party is going to be that. I can't imagine her all of a sudden hating Elmo. I'm thinking about just having her party at a local park that has a splashground and playground. Just taking blankets and maybe a folding table and setting up a party. Would that be tacky? Our house is just *too* small for anything like that.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#231 of 240 Old 02-27-2013, 06:31 PM

I'm the same way re:long kisses.  I need to breathe!!!  That's annoying and not at all romantic.  Setting a timer.  Geesh.

Thanks for the heads up!  I have a feeling that's what I'm going to do.  He LOVES Cars.  He really honestly says, "ligh ween!" when he sees lightning mcqueen.  It's crazy!  

Do you guys know when they start saying their own name, or start with the "do it myself" type of talk?  

I think a play/sprayground sounds like a phenomenal idea.  Do it!

#232 of 240 Old 02-27-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:

I'm the same way re:long kisses.  I need to breathe!!!  That's annoying and not at all romantic.  Setting a timer.  Geesh.

Thanks for the heads up!  I have a feeling that's what I'm going to do.  He LOVES Cars.  He really honestly says, "ligh ween!" when he sees lightning mcqueen.  It's crazy!  

Do you guys know when they start saying their own name, or start with the "do it myself" type of talk?  

I think a play/sprayground sounds like a phenomenal idea.  Do it!

Ava is just entering that territory and it's already driving me bonkers. Part of the problem is she has developed this awful habit of saying "have it, have it" when she wants something and it's just rude. She picked it up from the sitter's little boy. At lunch today, we were sharing white bean soup and I was holding the cup. She started that "have it, have it" crap and then when I wouldn't let her hold it, she started pitching a fit. Ugh. She says her name occasionally. If you ask her what her name is, probably about 60% of the time she'll say "Ava".

#233 of 240 Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Exactly! We've actually talked about this before. It was something that came up as part of that personality color workshop we did for his work. My personality type does not like to hold hugs or kisses too long. Give me a hug and then move on. The presenter of the workshop even said that. If your partner pushes you away when you hug them for a while, they are probably this personality type. I'm also not a "go into it blind" or "trust me" kind of person. I like to know ahead of time what's going to happen. This came up as a big issue when he tried to propose to me. He tried to make it a surprise but I wouldn't get ready or go anywhere until I knew what to expect.

If you want to be romantic or kiss me, just freakin' kiss me. Don't follow some playbook that calls for setting a timer, at least not without letting me know ahead of time so I can agree to it. eyesroll.gif

D doesn't say his name. He doesn't say anyone's name. He still hasn't said, "Mama," or "Dada" or anything like that.

#234 of 240 Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:

mmmm. Wine :) It's not as bad as it was with Gabe - with him it started at 37 weeks and lasted till birth, off and on, at 41+6. Norah I had a bit maybe last week or so I was pregnant. So I'm hoping I don't have much of it. mostly it's just a PITA. Just be the real thing, already.

I had pretty much no prodromal labor or lead up to my labor, other than a few small bouts of braxton hicks, but not even painful ones. I don't know how I would handle it now if I had prodomal with the next one! I am still SO glad that i was able to wait out the pregnancy without getting super anxious for it to end-- but again... I was 39w5d when I had her, and I had been -convinced- I'd go at least a week overdue, so I wasn't expecting her at all. Now next time if I don't have the baby by 35w5d I can see myself going batty! lol

Friday sounds good to me! lol Come onnnn Theo!  Oh I can't wait to have a squish in the group again!

Quote:

If the mess isn't bugging you and it's sanitary who cares?  Once he comes it'll be a shitstorm of chaos anyway. winky.gif Just relax, do the minimum required to not stress out over it.  Ok -- sending birthy vibes for friday!!!  Lets go baby!!! goodvibes.gif

Yes-- totally this. I'd only worry about it if it's bugging you. Otherwise, pshhhh, other people can clean when they come over. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

Honestly? That's the way I feel about being a WOHM. I hate leaving Ava, don't get me wrong, but it IS nice to go somewhere and have adult conversations for 8 hrs. Since DH and I pretty much just switch off, we do a lot of solo parenting and that crap is hard! I wish I had a better childcare situation. Actually, scratch that. I wish my DH would be more comfortable saying that his work day is from 7a-3p so that he could just come home and be with her. I don't like shuttling her all over the place or waking her from a nap to load her in the car.

I had a thought that it might be hard for me since I hadn't been on a labor unit since Ava was born but I figured that since it was a new building, I wouldn't have any issues. Man, was I wrong. The head nurse had two LD nurses and one of the nursery nurses come in so we could ask them questions about procedures, policies, etc. One of the LD nurses that came in was one of my postpartum nurses. She REALLY helped me the second night when I was at the hospital alone and having a really tough time. She sat with me for a few hours while I cried and just listened. She was awesome. I have wanted to send her a thank-you card but I could never remember her name. It was great to see her and thank her in person but I was fighting back tears for most of the meeting. But the new hospital is GORGEOUS. I'd love to birth there. I'm ok leaving that door partly open but I don't think I would be devastated if it's closed for good. 

Yeah I get that. I'm kind of the same way. I love my time with Tenley, and I -hate- leaving her when I go to work. But by the same token, I also love being at work, and I feel like I do better when I have a bit of that time away to myself. I feel like I'd have a perfect balance if I was able to work a bit less-- like maybe two 4 hour shifts a week or something-- just enough time to have some "space" without cutting into my Tenley time so much! But right now financially, the 25 hours I week is really kind of needed. 

That does sound hard with the buiding and being back there, even if it's not the same 'there'. I'm glad you got to see the nurse again though! 

I think a big part of me knowing I need another child, is knowing that I won't feel 'complete' until I have a chance to go back and do that again, but differently-- I want a chance to use the new birthing centre, or have my homebirth. 

Quote:

I'm alot more zen and a lot less desperatate than I remember being during the last few weeks of the other 2 pregnancies. I think part of it is knowing that the breast pump does work, when it's really time (and it will again, if it comes to that. random nipple twiddling sets of minor contractions, so I'm certain the pump would do the trick if I wanted to) - and having that "ace" in my pocket sets my mind at ease a little.

Hahaha I know... It was a stupid thing-- we were right in the heat of it, and DH asked and I was like uhhh... it's not great timing, but we're probably ok... but it's not totally safe... so if you want to grab something... lol. I was not really in a 'weigh the odds' mindset. 

Zen is good! It does sound like you're in a good place about it. Enjoy each day, every little kick and moment. Aww I miss it myself, and even I know I'll get another chance someday! It's just such a magical time at the end!

And ttoally good that you know you have a backup plan!

Quote:

GIRL I'm going to be stalking you now!!  Ha!!!

Any dtd before confirmed O is risky, I learned that and swear by it!  I think we only dtd w/o protection like, the week I"m pms-ing b/c it's the only time I'm SURE it's ok.  I can't be too careful!  

Yeah, we -should- be fine-- especially since it took so long last time, and only finally conceived after using pre-seed, it makes me feel more confident. But honestly, I feel kind of whatever about it-- ONLY ONLY ONLY because of my friend being pregnant, and the idea of being pregnant and having babies at the same time as her sounds so lovely. And I know Tenley is getting bigger, and nine months is a long time, and so much would change in that time.  But otherwise, yeah, I'm totally ok with not being pregnant too. lol. It's so nice to feel like that though... because I've been "ready" emotionally to get pregnant since very soon after Rob and I got together. Like before we were having sex. So I've never experience 'worry free' sex where it was just kind of "yeah if we do, that's fine, but if we don't get pregnant, that's ok too". Even the times when we were technically avoiding, or were in the beginning of whatevering, I still never felt chill about it. We may not have been actively trying to get pregnant, but my brain still actively wanted it!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Last night D was dragging dh's bag of wet cammies from having to do his swim qualification all over the house. It was so cute and funny because it was heavy for him. He was grunting and really pulling hard, periodically stopping to try to lift and carry it. He eventually got it to the middle of the family room and plopped it down in front of me like, "Here you go. Now do something with it."

So cute! Tenley does that with her diaper bag, she tried to 'help' with it, and it's too heavy so she ends up practically falling over trying to carry/drag it around. 

Quote:

His next favorite thing is to beg "baby" to help him clean up. 

I -LOVE- how his attachment to N is growing so much, and all the stories about her being his baby. I love that sibling interaction so so so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Annie ~ Isn't that strange about my dh? Yesterday he came and just stood in front of me hovering. He didn't say a word. After a minute or so I asked him what he was doing. He said he was waiting for me to come to a stopping point in my knitting. I told him I wasn't going to come to a stopping point. I was working. If he wanted me to stop, he needed to say something. I kept on knitting. When I got to the end of a row, he asked me if I was at a point where I could stop so I did. He leaned down to kiss me but set the alarm on his watch in the process. I asked him what he was doing and he said nothing and continued to move toward me like he was going to kiss me. I asked him why he was setting his watch. Then he got all pissy, stood up and said, "Nothing. Nevermind. It was just something I read," and walked away. Geez! Why couldn't he just tell me wth he was doing? I don't want to kiss someone who's on a timer. eyesroll.gif

That DOES sound odd. Like he was trying to be cute and romantic but just... missed the mark. I'd find it odd too. DH and I used to kiss/makeout a lot the first year or so of our marriage, but we rarely really kiss anymore. I'm not really sure why, but yeah, 'extended' kissing feels a bit odd to me now too, let alone a timer!

Ok, bedtimeeeee! It's after 1am, but I wanted to come back and respond to everyones posts. I have tomorrow off, and it's super warm out, so I'm trying to decide whether I take Ten to the zoo to walk around, or whether I stay home and relax and get some cleaning done. Hard decision... 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#235 of 240 Old 02-28-2013, 12:02 PM

I'm I. Observation for blood pressure. It's looking much better. Will keep you all posted. Not much cervical change. I hope they let me go home soon.

#236 of 240 Old 02-28-2013, 01:42 PM

back home, thank goodness. blood pressure went back down and stayed that way. labs and everything were good. Theo needs to come out!

#237 of 240 Old 02-28-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:

back home, thank goodness. blood pressure went back down and stayed that way. labs and everything were good. Theo needs to come out!

Glad everything is ok! Thanks for keeping us posted. C'mon baby Theo! We need to see you! And mama needs a break!

#238 of 240 Old 02-28-2013, 02:06 PM

Oh man! Theo no more scaring us!

Come on baby... tomorrow if Friday. Time to meet the world now! ;)

#239 of 240 Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 PM

Argh!! Had a really shitty night with DH. Kept trying to shake things off and come back with an open mind and fun attitude, only to be talked down to again and dismissed like I was some 'little miss' whose opinions and knowledge and thoughts don't matter. I --know-- he's stressed right now after the first week training at his new job, but seriously?!?  I don't even want to go to bed right now, I'm so pissed at his attitude tonight. 

On a more cheerful note-- we went out to dinner, and my GOSH was Tenley ever hamming it up for the waitress. Every night she came to the table, Ten was practically batting her eyelashes at her, and would start babbling up a storm and giggling. So adorable! 

Also, we went to get DH a new phone, and in the phone store, Ten thought she was in heaven!! Walked in, and she took one look around the room and was like "oohhhh peeese? Peeseee!!" And kept reaching out towards the displays.  *heart melt*

#240 of 240 Old 03-01-2013, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

March thread http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1375653/march-2013-rockstar-mamas-thread

Tags
Embrace A Pregnancy Journal , Sacred Pregnancy A Loving Guide And Journal For Expectant Moms , Spiritual Midwifery , The Baby Name Bible The Ultimate Guide By Americas Baby Naming Experts , The Baby Name Wizard A Magical Method For Finding The Perfect Name For Your Baby

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page