March 2013 Rockstar Mamas Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 188 Old 03-28-2013, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Nice growing Theo!!

Fingers crossed for us guys! We went car shopping today with the intention of just narrowing down what car we want. Ended up finding what we want, but realizing once you add all the extras in, we're looking at probably $4000 more than we were looking at spending (so that's almost 1/4 of our budget!). We were really disappointed.  Then we came home and searched around and I found a woman trying to get someone to "take over payments" of her 2013 Focus, which is exactly what we want, but we thought the 2011 or 2012 was a stretch even. Anyways, the purchase price for us would end up being $16,500 (she has $350 a month payments for the next 4 years). We were looking at a 2012 initially, and it ended up being $16,000 min, not counting taxes or extended warranty or any of the "processing fees". So it was looking like we were going to pay a minimum $19k once it was all said and done. Which wasn't happening, because we started with a budget of like $15k. 

Anyways, so yes, 2013 Focus, with 1700kms on it. She paid for the extended warranty too. She's got 0% financing, or we could transfer it to our bank too, but it would be at 4% (but we'd get $1250 in points from putting it onto our credit card temporarily...) She bought the car, paying like $7000 cash down on it initially, and now only a couple months later, she had eye surgery and can't drive it anymore. The car is worth like $22k, list price new so getting it for $16,500 with the taxes in and extended warranty on it already, is a steal, considering with 1700kms it's barely been driven.

It just sounds like way too good a deal to be true. Trying to both stay positive AND not get my hopes up at the same time!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 188 Old 03-29-2013, 05:30 AM

JJ that sounds like a really good deal.  Anything fishy about it at all?  Otherwise go for it!  What color is it?

I'm still undecided about what car I want.  I think I want the VW Tiguan but I need to see it in person and drive it.  I love that I can get a manual in a bigger car. I love that it has most things I want standard so we don't need to upgrade to a sport package or anything.  BUT reviews say the Mazda CX-5 has much more cargo space and that's one of my big "needs".  So.  We just need to go look!

I think I want a black one, regardless of which.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#183 of 188 Old 03-29-2013, 07:12 AM

JJ that sounds like a great deal! I hope it works out

Carrie: cargo space is important. Get looking!

Busy day today. But all good things, so that's fun. Only Theo at home until Sunday. It's nice being down to just one kid on occasion.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#184 of 188 Old 03-29-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

JJ that sounds like a really good deal.  Anything fishy about it at all?  Otherwise go for it!  What color is it?

I'm still undecided about what car I want.  I think I want the VW Tiguan but I need to see it in person and drive it.  I love that I can get a manual in a bigger car. I love that it has most things I want standard so we don't need to upgrade to a sport package or anything.  BUT reviews say the Mazda CX-5 has much more cargo space and that's one of my big "needs".  So.  We just need to go look!

I think I want a black one, regardless of which.

The only thing "fishy" is that I think it's an older woman selling it, based on the wording of the ad, and I don't think she'd be deliberately untruthful, but perhaps just doesn't know proper wording etc, or what things she should be listing. The ad for the car was very brief, almost no detail. 

Quote:
"Pictures upon request. New Ford Focus with all the bells and whistles. Take over my payments ($348 includes taxes); purchased with 0% interest. About 1700 km. Can't work and drive, due to eye surgery. Perfect condition. Non-smoker. Female driven."

So... as I said, I'm trying not to get tooooo excited, but it sounds really good. We asked how long was left on the loan and she said 4 years, and that she purchased the extended warranty. She actually just got back to my email as I was typing here, and said that the original purchase price was $26k, and she got a ton of stuff added on because she's been with the delaership for 20 years. It's kind of nice because it's the same dealership we wanted to deal with, and who we visited yesterday. She also sent me an ad to another listing that she said was "just like her car" and that car really does have a TON of options, including things like the eco boost package, and winter package, and a lot more. So if that really is a good representation of her car, than even better. But still, if it's basic standard features, that's still a good deal too. 

The car is white, with charcoal seats. Not my favorite, since our malibu is white, and I'd like a different color, but certainly acceptable. My only veto would be for red. I hate red cars, even though my first car was red. lol. 

I like black. And cargo space is huge! I never really thought much about it, until I tried to put our babyjogger into the trunk of the saturn we're borrowing. It -barely- fits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

JJ that sounds like a great deal! I hope it works out

Carrie: cargo space is important. Get looking!

Busy day today. But all good things, so that's fun. Only Theo at home until Sunday. It's nice being down to just one kid on occasion.

It must be nice to have those bits of 'respite' to enjoy just Theo. One of my mama friends sends her kids to her MILs every Saturday, and has a day to herself to do errands or personal things, or dates with hubby. I used to think she was weird for doing that. Now I'm like ohh Tenley, grow up so we can send you overnight somewhere. lol. I totally get how valuable that recharge time can be. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#185 of 188 Old 03-30-2013, 12:44 PM

I couldn't do it every weekend. Once or twice a month, that's ok. I feel like weekends should include some family time. And it feels weird to pawn them off more often, like I can't handle them or something. But the occasional break is awesome.

Are you going to meet her about the car?

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#186 of 188 Old 03-30-2013, 07:22 PM

I think cargo space is super important. We have a Tahoe and I LOVE it, but when we put in the extra seats in the back we have hardly any space for "stuff".

Still sick over here, I finally went to the doctor for meds but the bronchitis is still going strong. 

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#187 of 188 Old 03-30-2013, 09:19 PM

Yeah I think every week would be too much for me too, but once a month, or once a month and then one day (without sleepovers) would be nice.  She's a SAHM, and has an 8 year old, and then a 3 and 4 year old, and now a newborn. So she's got tons of time with the younger ones during the week, and the older is at the age where he doesn't like to spend a lot of time with mama anyways ;) lol

We're kind of in a holding pattern with the car. We have to wait until the financing department opens on either monday/tuesday before we can get final answers confirming that the pricing is as it seems. We did email her to see if we could set up a time to go see it this weekend though (not that it really will change anything, we sat in an identical car two days ago and already know we love it). 

Yeah lyterae. I was looking at Kia Rondos, and some have optional fold down third row seating, which seemed like a great option- but it's obviously super tight, and with the third row up, there's literally no trunk. I'm not even sure you could fit a backpack back there. lol. Of course, it isn't -supposed- to be a cargo vehicle, but still, was a little funny to see!

#188 of 188 Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

April thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1380826/april-2013-rockstar-mamas-thread

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page