Making those first few PP weeks with a second (or third or fourth) baby work... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm due in two weeks (and, if I go by my gut, this baby is coming sooner than that!) and DD is 3yrs 4 months.  I guess I was in denial or some sort of pregnancy bliss, but seriously  it just suddenly dawned on me that there will be a newborn and a preschooler to care for in this house very soon!!!

I'm looking for any tips, tricks, advice from BTDT mamas on how to make those first few post-partum weeks go as smoothly as possible.

DD is excited about this baby, and I think (hope!!) we've done a good job preparing her, but now I'm looking for some practical concrete tips on the logistics of the whole thing!

So far, I've been cooking and loading our freezer with food, and between that, my family and in-laws, we've definitly got food and meals covered.  DD will keep going to her preschool until June, and DP has changed his work schedule to be able to drop her off and pick her up for at least a month (and maybe more if need be, we'll see)

But other than that??

#2 of 2 Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

3 is old enough to be a little helpful. I'd involve her with things and praise for her helpfulness with the new babe. Get some new (even library) books for you guys to read together while you're doing lots of nursing early on. Have a 'spot' where you can be all set up with babe but still watch 3 yo do things. Does she like to dance or sing or do 'shows'? I remember my then 3.5 yo when my nb arrived, he would put on 'shows' for me with his dinosaurs to entertain me while I nursed. We read a lot of books. He also continued preschool--which was so nice! Gave me a little time each day with just the babe. 

If you have to do lunch/snacks, try to have them ready ahead of time. If you have them on a lower shelf and ready to go, your dd can help  'serve' the meals too.  Have sippy cups full of water/milk/juice whatever you allow ready to go either in fridge or even a small cooler near you. If possible, have hubby help you the night before to get everything ready to go for the next day. 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page