First movie? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
My sister recently mentioned that she was planning to take my near-three year old to a movie next time she babysat. I was kind of surprised. My sister always seems to know a lot more about kids than I do, and I don't think her 18 month old has ever watched TV. I guess I have no idea when kids usually make their first trip to the movies. Isn't it more like 4 or 5?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We've been going since my son was born. Ciniplex offers a "Stars and Strollers" movie once a week in most areas. We're just on a hiatus right now because he has absolutely no interest in watching the movie or sleeping so he wants to run around. Once he starts showing a little self-discipline again, we'll be going back. (He's 1 now). I think it just depends on the movie and the time of day. People who go to the movies during the day tend to be more understanding, I'd be careful with going on a Friday night though... those people are vicious! lol

Old 03-21-2013, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My son is three also...we will likely wait a couple of years.
The following site rates content if anyone needs it:

http://m.commonsensemedia.org/movie-lists/best-first-movies-kids
Old 03-21-2013, 03:59 PM

There are baby and kid days at many theaters. I think it might be a big gamble to pay high theatre costs expecting a toddler to sit through an entire film, though. But if it is her money and preference, let her try it. As long as she doesn't get upset over having to leave early, it sounds fine.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:07 PM

If you have a Cineplex in your area, kids (of any age, really) get in free and the parent gets a $2 discount off the already discounted matinee so it ends up being like $5 for mom and baby smile.gif

Old 03-22-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Huh, well, consider me educated :)  I'm still wondering what kind of movie I would let her watch.  She gets scared so easily, and I'm pretty sure she doesn't know the concept of a "villain" yet.  I think she would LOVE the excitement of it, though.  We don't have Cineplex around here, but maybe I'll let my sister give it a shot if there's a suitable film. 

Old 03-23-2013, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Old 03-23-2013, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

You may want to check repertory theatres, community centres, and cultural centres and those sorts of places for older children's films, international films and children's film festivals for movies that are appropriate for younger children. My children attended an annual children's film festival when they were younger. The films were carefully selected and age ranges were clearly set out. The advance reviews gave good warnings about violence or sensitive issues. 

Old 03-23-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiago View Post

OP this article may be helpful:

http://seattlemamadoc.seattlechildrens.org/first-movie-with-my-4-year-old/

Thank you. This was helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

You may want to check repertory theatres, community centres, and cultural centres and those sorts of places for older children's films, international films and children's film festivals for movies that are appropriate for younger children. My children attended an annual children's film festival when they were younger. The films were carefully selected and age ranges were clearly set out. The advance reviews gave good warnings about violence or sensitive issues. 

I think one of the big art museums does something similar. I'll have to look into it more.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Right around 3 is when my kids started going to the movie theater, though they did see those 45min IMAX shows earlier.
My oldest first movie was "finding nemo". As luck would have it, finding nemo in 3d came out right as my youngest was turning 3, so it was her first movie too!
Neither kid was that impressed with the movie. Both did like "monster, inc". Same as nemo, kids were about the same age when they saw it, though baby saw it in 3d.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 03-24-2013, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

if there is a children's theater i would much rather do that than a movie.

i've been taking dd to children's theater since she was 2. at 2 she was so fascinated by Seussical that she sat through the whole thing mersmerised.

if your child is afraid like mine was - try avoiding movie theaters as much as possible. definitely only after they have already sat through feature length movies at home. 

the movie experience magnifies emotions. at 4 dd could not handle ice age (the opening scene of the acorn and the squirrel freaked her out). this is the same girl who enjoyed spiderman. 

also make sure the movie theater is not too loud. it was too painful for dd to go for a movie. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 04-02-2013, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My son started with movies early. We took him to see Babies when he was a baby - he loved it. Only a couple films per year, with earplugs. Documentaries and cartoons are best. I found that he does much better when he's surrounded by other kids than when the theater is empty. And he's a sensitive kid so he handles the happy-go-lucky films better than the others.

I feel like movies can be a fun experience for kids. Short bursts of this type of screen time are fine, IMO. Use it as something to talk about smile.gif

Spoiler alert:
I tried taking him to Chimpanzee but the scene where the baby chimp loses his mother was too loud and scary (and frankly too sad for me) so we had to leave early. But he did great at The Lorax and Charlottes Web and A Dolphin Tale and other similar upbeat films.

I think the movie theater experience can make emotions be felt more strongly than TV, so keep that in mind.

User Tag List