April 2013 Rockstar Mamas Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 93 Old 04-16-2013, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, akind1, I can't believe you have less than 3 weeks left on maternity leave! It seems like just yesterday we were waiting to hear that Theo was here! Enjoy the time you have left at home with him! Has N showed any interest in nursing again?

Baby_Cakes, that's so crazy that she remembers that! I had forgotten all about that! I need to dig out my wrap and try it again before shelling out the cash for the Boba. She may tolerate riding on my back again. But getting her wrapped and unwrapped as much she wants up and down may be a pain.

AFM, I'm down to one pumping session per day. I don't think I'm going to make it until Ava is 2. I'm only getting 2-3oz every 24 hrs. She takes that at night going to bed. Once the milk is gone, I don't know how I'm going to get her to sleep the nights that I'm home other than doing what I have to do at nap which is drive her around for a few minutes. Once she conks out, I can bring her in the house and lay her down. But if I try to walk her/snuggle her to sleep, she flips out. Today, she was super tired and I tried to walk her down but she freaked so I put her in the car and literally drove for 5 minutes and she was asleep. DH says he can get her to sleep without a bottle and without driving her. He puts her to bed 5 nights out of 7 so I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#62 of 93 Old 04-16-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

I wish I could figure out the problem with the Boba. Which straps do you loosen up to get baby in and out? There are so many that I don't know which ones are better to adjust and which ones I should leave alone.

Also, how do you get baby on your back? I was used to laying baby on my back and pulling the carrier up and over but the directions for the Boba say to put one shoulder strap on and slide baby in from the side. I think that may be why I feel crooked once he's in there. But when I try to put him straight on my back and pull the Boba up, I can't get it up high enough to get my shoulders in the straps.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#63 of 93 Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

I must admit that I am a little sad and disappointed that I'm not pregnant. But, I really, really don't want another child so I'm also relieved.

I feel like I'm just counting down the months until that is me again. So far, I've been very content with getting my period every month, but I know everntually, it's going to turn into a sad thing again. boo erms. I had a couple months right after I found out my BFF was pregnant, when I got a tad sad when AF started, but that was more a "Darn, it would be fun to be pregnant together", rather than a legitimate "I'm sad I'm not pregnant."  Knowing that I'm not ready for another baby right now is saving my sanity. The heartbreak over not being pregnant (even when we weren't trying and were actively avoiding...) was horrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

I'm thinking about shelling out the cash and getting a Boba 3G. Ava is going through a phase of wanting to be carried a lot, especially in crowds and she's killing my back. I like my Bali Breeze wrap but she likes to go up and down a lot. So I'm thinking a carrier would be easier to manage. Thoughts?

Ava's sleep is still pretty unsettled because of her teeth but we are doing a better job of pain management so it hasn't been as bad. She's acting closer to a 2 yr old than a 1 yr old. We can have conversations (sort of), she will attempt to talk to me on the phone at night, she follows directions well and loves to help so I'm trying to harness that. I broke down and bought sunscreen for her for the first time because she got a little too much sun on Saturday at the farmer's market. She won't keep her sun hat on and she gets too hot to be in long sleeves.

I loooooove my Boba, but that probably doesn't come as a surprise. lol. I still use it all the time, and Tenley is still really comfortable in it, will fall asleep easily, and I can wear her for a full 2 hour shopping trip, no problem, no back soreness at all. She's about 23lbs right now I think. I really do love how easy it is to get off/on in public- it's the only real reason I went for it initially over my mei tai- because I hated being out somewhere and trying to tie the mei tai without dragging the straps.   For hotness-- I wore the Boba last Canada day here, and it was about 90F out-- we walked around a really crowded outdoor venue for about two hours, and while I was hot, I wasn't nearly as hot as I thought I would be. I've heard the performance/sport Ergos are a bit cooler, but the regular ergos and becos are as hot or hotter. A mei tai would probably be similar to the Boba. 

We bought Green Beaver sunscreen last year, and I hate applying it- it's greasy and yucky feeling, but it's apparently "the only" one out there that's both effective and natural, so says all the crunchies in my local group. lol. That said, once she finishes that tube this year, I think we're going to buy some mainstream stuff. We don't put it on her unless she's on the boat or at the beach or something, so I feel ok withusing it those few times. I feel like I'll be more likely to apply it if it doesn't feel so gross and I'm not worried about grease staining our/her clothes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Still doing mostly potty stuff here.  He's getting it but it's slow going.  I'm ok with it!  Just means more time to hang out and play and practice.  I'm being MUCH more low key this time than last time.  Idk if you guys remember but it was an intense week with Nora doing this.  I want it done, but at the same time I don't want to look back on this time and only have bad feelings.  This is a huge milestone for him.  And it's 99.99% the LAST time I'll ever have to potty train so if it takes a few weeks, so be it!

I got all my books for my doula and lc class.  Overwhelming and so informative!  I want to dive in but at the same time it's so hard to focus.   Anyone have study tips for a someone who can't sit still?

I vaguely remember it with Nora, glad it feels better this time!! 

I find the best way to study is to get out of the house. I used to go sit at Starbucks, pop some music in and immerse myself. Of course that's less practical now with kids! Hence why I've got a copy of Heart and Hands here that I've barely cracked the spine on. lol. It feels like a waste to read it if I'm not going to properly devote attention to it. 

Which books are you reading? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Only 2.5 more weeks of maternity leave. Trying to make them count and focus on the kids. Theo is eating a bunch and gaining weight quickly.

Ugh! I'm with Carrie! That is going way too fast! It feels like days ago he was being born! 

Quote:

I like my Boba ok but I don't find it easy. I can't ever seem to get it quite right. It always feels a little too tight or crooked and uncomfortable. I don't know, exactly, what my problem is. I seem to have a hard time getting D on my back straight in it. I still like my mei tai the best. I can get babes on my back very quickly and easily with that.

That's what DH says. He likes the mei tai, because he can tie it each time, and it feels good. He feels like he's always adjusting the Boba and it never ends up 'right'. I'm the total opposite-- I leave all the settings where I like them, and never adjust anything- so when I put it on it's just clipping the waist buckle, popping Ten on my back, reaching down and grabbing the straps/body, pulling them up, and then clipping the chest strap. It seems super easy. 

Had SUCH a long day with Tenley yesterday. She's just seeming off. Very clingy/melt down prone. And then today she had a HUGE rash erupt on her bum, that looks food reaction related, but we can't figure out what she had new yesterday :/  And then I worked today as well, and it was a busy busy day, dealing with just... blow my mind type work stuff. I wish I could share it here because it's literally unbelievable, but you'll just have to trust me. It was a long long day. lol. 

Tomorrow we're supposed to be going out to the Y with my cousin for a workout, then swimming, and then kids playtime on the structure and bouncer. I -know- we should go... I know it. But I am feeling -so- blah. Need motivation. 

DH is driving me NUTS with his whiney mopiness about the job. He hates his preceptor... and so he hates the job. It's a crapload of new info, but he expects himself to somehow know it all already... and so he feels pressured, and stressed, and is literally making himself ill daily, not wanting to go into work. And I just want to tell him to calm the eff down and just take a breath, go to work, come home, rinse and repeat. Eventually it will get easier.  I know I sound SOOOO callous, trust me, I hear it. BUT-- he's like this with every job. He hates -everything-. Some days I worry he's going to be one of those people who changes jobs constantly their entire life because nothing is ever 'good enough'. I get that he doesn't want to settle. No one should. But I wonder if there's going to be -any- job that he doesn't hate. I'm tired of him being self-caused sick every day. I'm trying to be patient and loving, but I'm losing it. lol. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#64 of 93 Old 04-16-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwoten View Post

That's what DH says. He likes the mei tai, because he can tie it each time, and it feels good. He feels like he's always adjusting the Boba and it never ends up 'right'. I'm the total opposite-- I leave all the settings where I like them, and never adjust anything- so when I put it on it's just clipping the waist buckle, popping Ten on my back, reaching down and grabbing the straps/body, pulling them up, and then clipping the chest strap. It seems super easy.

You don't adjust the straps at all? You are able to get it on without loosening/tightening them every time? Hm... 

Quote:

I wonder if there's going to be -any- job that he doesn't hate.

I hated having a job. It didn't matter what it was. I didn't like having to follow someone else's schedule and having to look and dress a certain way and being expected to interact with other people no matter how I felt. Unfortunately, I think some people are just like that. I'll never understand how or why anyone could want to work.

D has been very clingy and fussy lately, too. He cries every time I walk out of the room even when dh is here. He only wants to be with me. He didn't use to be like that. Unless he needed to nurse he was usually just as happy with dh or me.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#65 of 93 Old 04-16-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:

Wow, akind1, I can't believe you have less than 3 weeks left on maternity leave! It seems like just yesterday we were waiting to hear that Theo was here! Enjoy the time you have left at home with him! Has N showed any interest in nursing again?

Baby_Cakes, that's so crazy that she remembers that! I had forgotten all about that! I need to dig out my wrap and try it again before shelling out the cash for the Boba. She may tolerate riding on my back again. But getting her wrapped and unwrapped as much she wants up and down may be a pain.

AFM, I'm down to one pumping session per day. I don't think I'm going to make it until Ava is 2. I'm only getting 2-3oz every 24 hrs. She takes that at night going to bed. Once the milk is gone, I don't know how I'm going to get her to sleep the nights that I'm home other than doing what I have to do at nap which is drive her around for a few minutes. Once she conks out, I can bring her in the house and lay her down. But if I try to walk her/snuggle her to sleep, she flips out. Today, she was super tired and I tried to walk her down but she freaked so I put her in the car and literally drove for 5 minutes and she was asleep. DH says he can get her to sleep without a bottle and without driving her. He puts her to bed 5 nights out of 7 so I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

Seriously Lauri, I'm still in awe of you for pumping for her so long. I thought my SIL was a rockstar, and she pumped for like 3 months. You're unbelievable. 

You guys will find a new rhythm. Keep in mind it will be different when she knows the milk is gone, and not just being withheld. I don't remember, does she go down into a crib/her own bed, or into your bed always? I can't get Tenley down easily in our bed -at all-, she'll just crawl around and play. If I want to get her to sleep in our bed, and she doesn't fall asleep nursing, then I basically have to cuddle her on my shoulder almost restraining her, and singing in her eat, and then after a minute or two, she'll relax into me, and fall asleep. But she fights it at first, even when she is obviously -so- tired. I hate it, but... when she needs to sleep, it's the best option we have :/   At nights, I nurse her in the dark room in her rocker, and then once she's finished nursing, she pops off and reaches for her crib. I put her in her crib, and she will crawl around, "put baby to bed", sing and talk to herself, bang her legs around, etc etc, and then fall asleep on her own. It's wonderful to watch her, and sometimes I find myself having to put a hand over my mouth so as not to laugh out loud just because she amazes me so much. It's a funny feeling and funny to describe. She tries so hard to put herself to sleep. But yeah, if I do that in our bed, she won't have it at all. She just wakes herself totally back up into a hyper state :/  And I mean she hasn't always done that either- it was an evolving relationship. The first few times we put her into the crib to fall asleep, she took over an hour to fall asleep. We stayed with her the whole time, so she wasn't alone/upset, it was just like... she didn't understand, didn't know what to do. Now you can see she totally 'gets it'. We nurse in the rocker, and then she reaches for bed, because she knows she needs to sleep next. Like I said, it's just... I don't know, amazing really. I'm pretty proud of her. 

I will say though-- I want to move her to her toddler side rail, rather than the crib, but I'm worried if I do, she'll be a mess to fall asleep again! lol I think the ability to climb out would be too tempting right now. 

But yes, all that just to say that you guys will both adapt and change as needed. You are so attuned to her needs and what is going to work with her. I know you guys will find something that works for both of you. 

Quote:

I wish I could figure out the problem with the Boba. Which straps do you loosen up to get baby in and out? There are so many that I don't know which ones are better to adjust and which ones I should leave alone.

Also, how do you get baby on your back? I was used to laying baby on my back and pulling the carrier up and over but the directions for the Boba say to put one shoulder strap on and slide baby in from the side. I think that may be why I feel crooked once he's in there. But when I try to put him straight on my back and pull the Boba up, I can't get it up high enough to get my shoulders in the straps.

I started my post hours ago, and then saw there were new ones, so I kind of answered this already, but I don't adjust any of them. I put her on my back once, got everything tightened so that it was really comfortable, and now I don't touch any of them other than doing the chest strap up. 

To put Ten on my back, I superman her on there, and then pull up. It's a tad awkward like you said, to reach down and grab the shoulders, but I think we've been doing it so long, that because she's stable up there, I feel pretty confident about it, and I know she's not going anywhere while I'm reaching. 

This is the other way people say to do it, but I always find by the time I shift that around, my clothes are so bunchy that I want to undo everything again. lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzu8cFhbWmM

This is the closest video I could find to how I do it, but I keep my straps tightened, so I don't have to retighten them once she's up there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rhF4lWnEOk

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#66 of 93 Old 04-16-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:

DH is driving me NUTS with his whiney mopiness about the job. He hates his preceptor... and so he hates the job. It's a crapload of new info, but he expects himself to somehow know it all already... and so he feels pressured, and stressed, and is literally making himself ill daily, not wanting to go into work. And I just want to tell him to calm the eff down and just take a breath, go to work, come home, rinse and repeat. Eventually it will get easier.  I know I sound SOOOO callous, trust me, I hear it. BUT-- he's like this with every job. He hates -everything-. Some days I worry he's going to be one of those people who changes jobs constantly their entire life because nothing is ever 'good enough'. I get that he doesn't want to settle. No one should. But I wonder if there's going to be -any- job that he doesn't hate. I'm tired of him being self-caused sick every day. I'm trying to be patient and loving, but I'm losing it. lol. 

My DH is that way. And he has switched jobs a lot. His current job has been the best fit but he's mostly in charge of his own schedule. He can't deal with following other people's schedules. I get that but he would actually probably benefit from more structure, not less (i.e. be more productive, make more sales, etc.) but he doesn't like to hear that.

Quote:

D has been very clingy and fussy lately, too. He cries every time I walk out of the room even when dh is here. He only wants to be with me. He didn't use to be like that. Unless he needed to nurse he was usually just as happy with dh or me.

I think there are a lot of brain changes going on right now and it's stressing them out. Ava has been super clingy too and wants me ENGAGED with her all the time we are together. It's a little draining. But I figure she must need it because she's asking for it so I'm trying to accommodate her.

Quote:

You guys will find a new rhythm. Keep in mind it will be different when she knows the milk is gone, and not just being withheld. I don't remember, does she go down into a crib/her own bed, or into your bed always?

Her crib is still sidecarred to my side of the bed. So there's nowhere for her to go to work it out on her own. It's like she needs to physically be restrained so her body will stop moving and she can fall asleep. When she drinks her bottle, she's mostly still long enough to relax and get to the point that she will let me walk around with her on my shoulder until she falls asleep. But if she doesn't have those first few mins of being still, she won't typically just lay her head on my shoulder. Unless she's really tired. We haven't done a bottle at nap for a couple of weeks now so I thought she was ok with it being gone but today when we went in the room to get ready for nap, she immediately started asking for a bottle. I reminded her that bottle is for bedtime and she got upset. She's not ready to be done with the bottle. But she doesn't want anything other than breastmilk in it. It makes me pretty sad if I think about it too long. greensad.gif

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#67 of 93 Old 04-17-2013, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Kat ~ Time does fly! You've still got a couple of weeks left, so that's nice. I hope the transition goes well once you do go back to work. How will you work it out? You will still be working mostly from home and your dh will be home to care for the kids while you are working?

Quote:

My DH is that way. And he has switched jobs a lot. His current job has been the best fit but he's mostly in charge of his own schedule. He can't deal with following other people's schedules. I get that but he would actually probably benefit from more structure, not less (i.e. be more productive, make more sales, etc.) but he doesn't like to hear that.[\quote]

That sounds a lot like me. I only had one professional, career type of job, as a Patent Examiner for the US Patent & Trademark Office, but that one was the best fit for me of all the jobs I did have because it was flexible and solitary, most of the time. I could see me possibly doing that again if I could work from home (and didn't have young children under my feet all the time winky.gif).

Quote:

I think there are a lot of brain changes going on right now and it's stressing them out. Ava has been super clingy too and wants me ENGAGED with her all the time we are together. It's a little draining. But I figure she must need it because she's asking for it so I'm trying to accommodate her.[\quote]

That's exactly how D has been. He has to be either in my lap, in my arms or doing something with me at all times. There used to be times when he was ok with me cooking or doing some dishes or a load of laundry but we're back to him getting very upset if I try to do anything other than sit and wait for him to want me. But, yeah, I figure it's an ages/stages thing.

Quote:

She's not ready to be done with the bottle. But she doesn't want anything other than breastmilk in it.

Well, there goes my idea, then. greensad.gif I was going to ask if she'd take anything else in a bottle. What about something else in a sippy cup? The only other thing I can think of is a pacifier but I really wouldn't want to introduce one now. Plus, I'm pretty sure you've said she doesn't like them, anyway, right? Or, did she use one when she was younger but you weaned her from that?

#68 of 93 Old 04-17-2013, 06:54 AM

I do like JJ does, I clip the belt buckle, then super man him over my back.  He holds on piggy back style, and then I just pull the straps over my shoulders like a back pack.  It's like 2nd nature now, he knows when to hold and let go, and I can get him in in just a few seconds.  I don't touch the strap adjustments at all.  Usually it takes a wiggle and a scoot and his butt is in the seat and we are off.

Hugs, Lauri, about the milk/bottle situation.  That sounds so hard, like it's breaking your heart.  Be gentle with yourself.  It isn't your fault, you are doing the best you can.  

Last night Finn wouldn't nurse down, so I brought him to bed and lay with him.  He flipped around for a few min to get comfy, and then I sang twinkle twinkle softly (probably 37 times) and held his hand.  He slowly dozed off.  So super sweet to watch.  He seems so old and grown up sometimes.

Then I went to put N to bed and she had already fallen asleep on the couch!  Win!

JJ books!!!  So many to pick from.  I think the first book I'm going to read is The Nurturing Touch.  I also have manuals to go thru and read (my actual course manuals).  There aren't any workshops with this organization, it's all online.  I have to read thru the books and then there are quizzes online, and assignments.

I'm eager to do the communications assignment.  We need to write an essay about one of our labors/pregnancies/post partum experiences.  I'm not sure what to focus on -- I think I want to talk about what I went thru after N was born, how I worked hard to establish nursing, and then finding out about her galactosemia marker and needing to pump/formula feed.  How that changed me completely.  It was an incredibly hard and debilitating experience, but something I'm so proud of doing for her.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#69 of 93 Old 04-17-2013, 11:10 AM

Gotta try them all!

Sleep is doing ok; theo wakes 1-2 times, depending on when he eats relative to when we go to bed. The other two might wake up once a night still, but it's not both of them every night, so that's something.

Maternity leave is always too short greensad.gif

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#70 of 93 Old 04-17-2013, 01:21 PM

MW, she has recently started taking a paci again. I gave it to her to chew on because she was gnawing her hands raw from these molars coming in. She fell asleep once for a nap sucking on it but I haven't been able to recreate that. The other night when I came home, she had woken up shortly before I got there and DH was holding her and she was sucking on the paci. So she does get some comfort from it. But she still enjoys laying in arms sucking her bottle. Sometimes when she comes to cuddle, she will say in the saddest little voice "bottle?" Oh, it just breaks my heart. But the milk is just seriously almost gone. When she does ask for bottle and it's not bedtime, I encourage her to go get her paci and we can snuggle. Sometimes she will do that. She's on a kick lately about doing stuff like she's a baby or reminding me that she's a baby. Such a funny little monkey.

I don't have any study tips Baby_Cakes. I can barely make it through a magazine article. My attention span is SHOT.

#71 of 93 Old 04-17-2013, 08:52 PM

Feeling very frustrated with work, work options, work/home balance tonight. We recently had two people at work give notice, both full timers (I'm actually the only part timer). They gave me a heads up that they'd be needing more hours from me, but since the last 3 weeks, I'd had like one shift, that was fine. Except that now they keep asking for more shifts than they know I will take, and trying to subtly guilt me into it (I should say this is only one person, the boss that makes the schedule, not the bigger boss), and also asking for shifts that go against my availability. I've said since I came back that I will work a MAX of 25 hours, and then I've also given then a schedule that basically says, any day that Rob works, I can work between 7am-530pm. Any day he's home, I can work any shift (so between 7am-1130pm). They keep asking for me to work pms 3-1130, on days rob is working. 

So... for instance, they emailed me a preview of this weeks schedule to check it with me. This is what it tentatively looks like:

Sun: Rob off, Me 3-1130pm

Mon: Rob 7am-7pm, Me 7-330   ((Ok obviously already a problem, since I won't have gotten HOME until 1230 the night before, and have to leave the house at 6am to get to work on time))

Tues: Rob 7am-7pm

Wed: Rob 7pm-7am

Thurs: Rob 7pm-7am

Friday: Rob off (at 7am), Me 7-330

Sat: Rob off, Me 7-330. 

So... 32 hours, rather than the 25 I asked for, and a back to back shift, which they KNOW I can't work (and legally they can't force me to, they have to ask). AND he wanted to know if I could work Thursday 3-1130pm as well, so 40 hours and another back to back. AND means that I leave for work at 2pm, Rob leaves for work at 6pm... and... Tenley... ? I'd have to get my sister or something to come over and watch her, but really asking someone to come over from 6pm until 1230am is a lot to ask, especially since Ten has never gone to bed for anyone else, not really. 

But basically with this schedule, and what I'm working this week, it means Rob gets off tomorrow morning at 7am, and I go to work at 3pm. So tomorrow is shot. Then we have Friday together. Saturday I have a meeting in the morning and work in the PM, so Saturday is shot. Then Sunday we would get the AM, but the PM is shot. So of Rob's 4 days off, we'd get 1.5 together as a family. Then all week long, we wouldn't see each other for more than a few minutes really, and then on his days off, I'd be working the first two (and potentially the second two as well...). 

Blargh. I guess part of the frustration is that I -like- working. I genuinely do. It keeps me sane, and I really need that time away. But I HATE that we live so far from work, so an 8 hour plus breaks shift, turns into me being gone for 10.5 hours. Also, our sitter only wants to do two(ish) days a week, the other times she's home with Rob, or we're left scrambling to find someone. BUT- his mother and sister, who complain about never seeing tenley and live 3 blocks away, are always "busy", and he doesn't feel comfortable with my sister or my cousin watching her. So we don't really have anyone who can come to the house for potential evening babysitting. Oh and my regular sitter (my SIL), doesn't drive either. It all adds up to a big kerfuffle, and basically me feeling guilty everytime I get a work schedule, even though I -do- want to work! 

I guess it keeps making me wonder if there's a benefit to me just going back the full time and trying to get my seniority back. It's a long shot though. And Rob doesn't want me to. He's made it very very clear that he doesn't want to do that. And I mean I get that... it's a ton of time to be away from her-- but if I could get my seniority, then I could potentially work almost only 7-330 shifts, which would be nice. 

*shakes head* Anyways... I know this is a big rambled mess of thoughts. Mostly I think I'm still just talking myself through it, trying to figure something out. 

I would really, really love to move about 20-25 minutes closer to work (which would still be 10 mins from DH's work, but the other direction, so we'd live in the middle of the two). Problem is that's not really feasible right now with us not even having finished the basement here (ie really not even realized the potential of this house), AND financially too, moving to that neighborhood would increase our mortgage, so I would then -need- to be working more. lol. 

#72 of 93 Old 04-18-2013, 04:05 AM

JJ it sounds like you need to hire a nanny or some sort of paid babysitter!  That's crazy all those hours they are asking you to work.  What are you going to tell them for this week?

I'd say if you really want to go back FT, do it!  But hire some sort of babysitter first for those times when you need one.  I hope you don't feel bad that you like working.  There is nothing wrong with that -- in fact, enjoy it b/c it's so rare that somebody likes their job!

We are still in the same boat w/nighttime childcare.  Also in a jam when I need to attend a birth and chris is OOT.  Not sure how we are going to work that out yet.  shrug.gif

Today we need something to do.  Yesterday got hairy with the potty (I think I'm overprompting and burning out...I'm looking at those beautiful diapers longingly and then snapping myself out of it...lol) so I think we need a breather.  If I had planned better maybe I'd take them to the zoo.  I think it will be a good day for Johnson park tho - little playground and also a big area with animals to look at.  10 min from home!  And we can go for ice cream after.  We need a day like that.  

I'm also sort of hiding from people this week.  Idk why.  Usually when Chris is gone I make lots of plans/playdates.  I just don't want to deal with anyone this week.  Hermit mode or something, idk.

Today won't be too warm but they are saying 81 tmw!  I think only 65 today.  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#73 of 93 Old 04-18-2013, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I hope you don't feel bad that you like working.  There is nothing wrong with that -- in fact, enjoy it b/c it's so rare that somebody likes their job!

yeahthat.gif

What about finding another job closer to your home? Is that an option?

Nothing much going on here. Same old as usual. I should be doing E's end-of-the-year testing but have not been motivated at all. I keep saying I'll start Monday. Then Wednesday comes around and I'm like, "Oh, crap! I forgot all about the testing." lol.gif E has always reminded me in the past because he wanted to take the tests but not this year. He's reached the age when he's realizing what crap it all is.

#74 of 93 Old 04-18-2013, 09:04 AM

For this week I told them I wouldn't do the back to back shift, and that it had to be a max of 3 shifts, so he dropped the Monday shift (which sucks, I wanted to drop the Sunday one). 

It's not that I feel guilty for liking/wanting to work, moreso that it's just an "imposition" on the family, if that makes sense? Like because Rob is the full time employee and primary financial contributor, HIS work, is seen as normal and expected. But when I work or pick up shifts, it's often seen as something that's causing trouble. I've tried talking to him about it, but he doesn't see what I'm seeing, and says that he doesn't feel that way. And he might not-- but he definitely makes me feel that way. Everytime they call me for a sick call or something, I'm always tempted to take it, and he -always- wants me to say no, and talks about how its disrupting our life, and he doesn't feel right to call Ash on short notice, etc etc. Which yes, are true-- but I would never fathom telling him that HIS job is a pain in my ass and an imposition on our family time, even though it is... kwim? I think that's what it boils down to, is that I feel like my work, even though it's contributing financially, which we do need, is treated like some whim that I'm catering to, and not a real 'obligation' that I happen to like. I don't know if that makes sense. 

Anyways-- yes, we do need to find a real babysitter/child care. It's hard though because I'm so nervous about the idea of hiring a stranger, and DH even moreso. Like he's adamenatly opposed to the idea, and has talked about how Tenley shouldn't be raised by strangers (I agree, obviously, but she's far from it right now!!) and that if I go back full time, then he's quitting or finding a part time job instead. Which financially isn't an option for us, so it's stupid that he'd even say it. The thought of having to find a caregiver I trust to treat Tenley as -we- would, is so overwhelming! But yes... we do need to work on it. I'm just avoiding since we have so many other stressors right now!

Finding another job closer to home isn't really an option. Yes, I --could--, but anything closer to home I would make at least $3/hour less than I am right now, plus would lose all the wonderful benefits of my union, and there's nothing comparable to what I'm doing, so I'm pretty sure I'd hate it. lol. I live in the suburbs, and the hotel I work at is downtown. To find something near me, I'd end up working at a convenience store or something. We looked before I went back to work initially, but there's just honestly nothing I could even bring myself to apply for. And if I hated it, then it would be a moot point, because I wouldn't -want- to work more hours than I'm working now, kwim? It's kind of a catch 22. 

It seems crazy that it's almost 'end of year' already. Friends are posting about the end of university classes, etc, and I'm like what? Wasn't Christmas last week? It doesn't help that we still have several feet of snow outside!  I cant wait for real spring and summer. 

#75 of 93 Old 04-18-2013, 12:13 PM

I hate catching up from mobile! Gah!
I do the hip scoot method to get either Norah or Gabe on my back. I only superman with wraps. I might tighten the arms a bit (the straps under the armpits) but that's it. I love SSC for speed. Wraps for versatility.

Will be on more from pc later.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#76 of 93 Old 04-18-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It's not that I feel guilty for liking/wanting to work, moreso that it's just an "imposition" on the family, if that makes sense? Like because Rob is the full time employee and primary financial contributor, HIS work, is seen as normal and expected. But when I work or pick up shifts, it's often seen as something that's causing trouble. I've tried talking to him about it, but he doesn't see what I'm seeing, and says that he doesn't feel that way. And he might not-- but he definitely makes me feel that way. Everytime they call me for a sick call or something, I'm always tempted to take it, and he -always- wants me to say no, and talks about how its disrupting our life, and he doesn't feel right to call Ash on short notice, etc etc. Which yes, are true-- but I would never fathom telling him that HIS job is a pain in my ass and an imposition on our family time, even though it is... kwim? I think that's what it boils down to, is that I feel like my work, even though it's contributing financially, which we do need, is treated like some whim that I'm catering to, and not a real 'obligation' that I happen to like. I don't know if that makes sense. 

Sadly, that makes all too much sense. It's a mentality that's part of our patriarchal society. Have you ever read the quote that goes around in various forms that basically says that mothers are always asked how they balance work and family but a father is never asked that. It's another one of those subtle messages that implies that a man's work is more important than a woman's. I think the only time one partner's job should be considered more of an imposition than the other's is if it interferes with the earnings. It shouldn't matter one bit what one does or how much money one makes unless it's somehow causing a loss of income. Whenever I try to explain things like that to my dh he doesn't get it. I tell him that's because he's a white, Christian male in a white, Christian male dominated society. Oh well. eyesroll.gif

I think I'm going to loosen up everything on my Boba and start over again. I think I may have the straps too tight and that's why I have trouble pulling it up over my shoulders (or it could be that I have sports injuries in both my shoulders that makes it difficult to turn my arms that way). Hopefully, I can get the straps set so I don't have to adjust them again. How tight do you make the straps?

#77 of 93 Old 04-18-2013, 03:56 PM

JJ, would you really want to be away from her every work day from 7-3:30 if you went fulltime? My work schedule (M-Th 4 PM-Midnight and  means that we almost never have family time. But I'd rather have as many daytime hours with her as possible instead of family time. But that's the dynamic of our house. If I could figure out a way to stop working but still provide health insurance for the family, I would in heartbeat. My work does not provide enough income for the overall hardship that our family experiences from me being gone 40+ hours a week.

#78 of 93 Old 04-18-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Hopefully, I can get the straps set so I don't have to adjust them again. How tight do you make the straps?

Does this help?  This is how it looks all the time before he's in it.

I think he's bigger than D so you might want it a little tighter.  Finn is about 32# and 36" tall.

#79 of 93 Old 04-18-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Does this help?  This is how it looks all the time before he's in it.

I think he's bigger than D so you might want it a little tighter.  Finn is about 32# and 36" tall.

Wow! That is way looser than I have mine. I have mine so tight there's almost nothing left pull. I think I'm paranoid about him hanging off my back.

But, Finn is almost 10 pounds heavier than D. He's only about 23 pounds. I have no idea how tall he is. I need to measure him because I'm planning to go to a Great Cloth Diaper Change event Saturday and the baby can't be more than 36" tall.

#80 of 93 Old 04-18-2013, 07:04 PM

Ok tmw I'll take a pic of him in it on my back so you can see how snug he is.  He really isn't hanging off my back at all.  Maybe that will give you an idea of what you can do to adjust it?  You'll get it figured out.  I don't feel like I struggle at all with my shoulders.  If anything sometimes the hardest part is just finding the strap and hooking my arm thru while holding Finn's bottom in place with the other hand -- but even that isn't too hard.  

#81 of 93 Old 04-19-2013, 07:34 AM

Should be 39" tall for the gcdc. That's what we were told.
You do want it as snug as comfortably possible, but loose enough to work, iykwim.

We have work balance issues here too; funny thing is, I technically make more than DH but we bring home about the same, since I have health insurance and crap taken out of mine.

It's the housework and stuff I need more help with once I return to work. *sigh*

#82 of 93 Old 04-19-2013, 03:29 PM

Sometimes I wonder how many lurkers our threads have.  LOL!

lol.gif

Ok I had trouble snapping a decent pic that showed how tightly he was on there.  This is the best I got!

Huge successes with potty today!  I have hope!  He's getting it (and I'm so happy to have found zen with this process b/c it's such a huge milestone) and we are having fun.  

Chris's plane landed!  He shoudl be home soon, I have no idea how he's getting home.  Either his Dad or he'll take the train.  Can't wait!  I really missed him this time -- at least the last 2 days.  winky.gif

#83 of 93 Old 04-19-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sometimes I wonder how many lurkers our threads have.  LOL!

what made you think of that?

kat ~ what is gcdc?

#84 of 93 Old 04-19-2013, 05:36 PM

great cloth diaper change!!!

im kinda sad I've never been to one. :-)

#85 of 93 Old 04-19-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

great cloth diaper change!!!

im kinda sad I've never been to one. :-)

oh, haha. i'm planning to go tomorrow.

#86 of 93 Old 04-19-2013, 06:10 PM

honestly what made me think of lurkers was how high we are on the parenting forum page. I forget how visible we are!!

#87 of 93 Old 04-19-2013, 06:17 PM

I've thought that before too Baby_Cakes. The number of views is nowhere close to the number of replies each month. I've considered suggesting we move to a private group on FB but I know some of us prefer MDC format.

#88 of 93 Old 04-19-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

There's still always a private group on here.

#89 of 93 Old 04-20-2013, 05:51 PM

I find FB easier than here. But I'm cool either way.

Carrie: hooray for potty training! I want to introduce the potty with Norah, but need a new seat; Gabe isn't willing to share and still uses his sometimes.

The GCDC was a blast. I'm hoping next year I only have one baby to change.

#90 of 93 Old 04-21-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:

There's still always a private group on here.

Is that different than the social groups? I was just researching this some and it seems like even if we create a closed social group, the content is still visible. "All content in all Social Groups is visible to the public, but only group members may contribute content and participate. For example, only members of the "Minnesota Natural Birthers" group can post in the "Minnesota Natural Birthers" group forum or upload photos to its gallery." I think if we want to take things "offline", we really need to consider a closed or secret group on FB.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page