What do you buy for yourself? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 04-29-2013, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLmomof1/1ontheway View Post

Maybe I shouldn't be answering this or maybe I'm the only one brave enough to be admitting it...?
For years and years we were poor. I sold my car (my most loved possession) to stay home with the kids. I wore the same clothes for a decade and can absolutely relate that I never bought myself anything. I wore sneakers that the sole was separated from the shoe for heavens sake. I still find it hard to get things for me. Well 3 years ago my DH got a huge raise and he pushed me into the Coach store. I thought who in there right mind is going to buy a bag for hundreds of dollars!?! My $12 bag from TJ Maxx had lasted me 7 years! Well I got one and loved it. I felt like a princess. I saw a watch I loved. Turned out to be diamonds and not crystals. My husband made me buy that too. I wear it everyday and feel SO SPECIAL. I've since splurged A LOT on handbags. It makes me so happy and feel so good. My true love is cars. I would love to buy my Mercedes but its $120,000. I may never get one, but at least I can have a fancy handbag. I still wear $7 t-shirts from Target and $20 flip-flops that are 3 years old.

We all have our one special thing that just makes us feel great. Mine just happens to be handbags. (Really cars) Though with a new baby on the way and my husband looking to leave his horrible job and expecting a huge paycut I have not bought anything since Christmas, not even for my birthday and it is horrible.

I'm exactly the same.  $400 handbags (from back when we had money) and $4 flip flops.  I don't care about shoes, but I LOVE my bags.  I'd try to save them in a fire.  I've been thinking about selling some for extra money and it makes me sad.  I love my bags more than any other item I own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 35 Old 04-29-2013, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't buy a lot of shoes, but when I buy shoes I buy nice ones. But I'm tomboyish so they're running shoes and that kind of thing mostly. I don't care in the slightest about purses. smile.gif

But I do like to buy shoes and sandals. I just haven't had to buy any lately.

Hmm I thought I'd update with some new purchase but the only stuff I've bought has been for the kids. Except for, again, e-books. I buy plenty of those.
#33 of 35 Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Books/ebooks

Chocolate

Puzzle books

When the kids are bigger and/or we're out of this place, with its tiny little kitchen and crappy storage, I'll buy candlemaking supplies again. I haven't made any candles in years.

I buy myself clothes occasionally, but only because I need to. I'm not interested in fashion and clothes shopping bores me senseless. I especially hate trying stuff on.

Oh - earrings. I don't buy them often, but don't resist the urge when I see a pair I really like. I'm getting back into them, now that they last more than 10 minutes.  (A few months ago, I found the small tree/bush in front of our kitchen window was decorated with earrings - and a few necklaces and bracelets - that I hadn't been able to find for months. Apparently, dd2 had dumped the basket of them out my bedroom window. DD1 found the basket and brought it inside, but used all the jewelry to decorate her "fort". I hadn't seen my stuff through the leaves. Fortunately, I like cheap costume jewelry, so there were no expensive diamonds or anything.)

I may splurge on a massage or pedicure (I've never had one, and even my crunchy friends tell me I must) sometime in the near future - haven't decided.

I honestly don't want a lot, though. I'm not interested in clothes. I don't wear makeup. I don't get haircuts. I have lots of music. So...yeah.

Oh - should probably count my choir fees. They're my biggest yearly expense, and I definitely do that just for me.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#34 of 35 Old 04-30-2013, 09:35 AM

New bras - I'm pregnant and went up two cup sizes, so my old ones hurt!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#35 of 35 Old 04-30-2013, 01:57 PM

This is a really interesting thread. Before kids I used to indulge myself quite a bit. Always new clothes, good quality shoes, makeup, hair highlighted, etc. Fast forward 10 years..almost my entire wardrobe is thrifted, i cut my own hair, rarely wear makeup, etc. The funny thing is that I don't care about any of that, I am so much happier now. Since i quit my job we have had to scale way back. Now, the types of things I buy for myself are mostly food treats (coffee drink, chocolate, etc) or a nice body oil or lotion like Weleda. Occasionally some yarn or fabric for creative pursuits. I really could use some new unmentionables because, as others have mentioned, sizes change after pregnancy and nursing and those are things I do insist on buying new. smile.gif

Tags
Parenting

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page