Do you let your child/children drink soft drinks? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 80 Old 05-01-2013, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I think of juice I generally assume its 100% fruit and/or veggie juice. Not necessarily fresh squeezed, though that would be the ideal (i really need to buy a juicer!)

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#62 of 80 Old 05-01-2013, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

yup yup. thanks lima. that is exactly what i meant. 

however to add to the whole thing... even freshly squeezed juice should be in moderation. there is still inherent sugar in it (not added).

the part about sugar is its addictive quality. and knowing about that - if i had known about its addictive nature i'd have kept it away from dd longer. 

but i believed in moderation which is bunkum inho when you are starting your kids on food. though i am not sure how i would have done it or if it would have had any affect. 

dd is sensitive to sugar and sugar in any form - healthy too packs a punch for her. her body reacts the same way to a glass of soda or a glass of freshly squeezed OJ. 

today she handles it well if its not dangled in front of her nose. these days many times she refuses to go to a bday party because of the sugar treats. because it is so painful to say no when its right in your face. 

that is so so so sad. 

reminds me of the book - the end of overeating where one of the stories told was of this young adult who suffered too because she wasnt overeating. the pull was so great. she struggled to say no and keep away and it took an emotional toll on her. 

so yes. sugar is sugar. whether it is in freshly squeezed OJ, oj carton or soda. i'd rather give dd an orange instead of OJ. so we stay away from sweetened drinks as much as possible. there is no reason on earth why our drinks need to be sweetened. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#63 of 80 Old 05-02-2013, 02:02 PM

We don't drink pop in our home. The kids don't seem to feel they are missing out, so no guilty feelings here lol. My DHs brother is 7 and guzzles pop like it's going out of style, even around him they are a-o-k with milk or water. I do occasionally allow lemonade since I love it, but it's rare...once a month if that!

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#64 of 80 Old 05-02-2013, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

DH drinks Coke, the kids and I never have that (caffeine and I hate the taste). Every few weeks we'll have 7up in the house and the 2 boys and I will split a can. For upset tummies we do licorice tablets mostly, usually illnesses are gone before we could get to the store for something else and if we kept it in the house it would get consumed. Sweetened drinks in general we just don't do that much, I'll make a 1/2 gal of lightly sweetened tea or lemonade some weeks, and we have OJ at breakfast, otherwise it's water and sometimes milk. If you're in the habit of drinking mostly sweet things it's hard to tell if you are thirsty or crave sweets. I have a bad reputation are church for denying things they want to give my kids, and they get around me every chance they have. I heard one lady say she doesn't believe any of that stuff is actually bad for kids, she felt like indulging them daily with cookies, chips, and koolaid is part of childhood. Meanwhile you have people growing up unable to stand drinking water and having a 2 liter a day of mt dew instead and snacking on chips and such all day long, and huge rates of diabetes etc.

As far as cereal goes, often we have raisin bran for dessert or cheerios with fruit. I'll bake sweets many times too, lower sugar so you can taste what's in it though. Breakfast is usually an egg and half slice of toast, fruit and orange juice.

#65 of 80 Old 05-02-2013, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
so yes. sugar is sugar. whether it is in freshly squeezed OJ, oj carton or soda.

There is aplenty of argument lately that all sugars are not equal. 

Why would you rather give your dd a whole orange?  Because it's not the same as those drinks.

What hasn't changed is that 1 gram of sugar has the same number of calories whether it comes from straight from the sugar bowl, from a soda or a whole orange. Or a pile of spinach.  It's still 1 gram of sugar.

1 gram of sugar from spinach.  Is that, like, 10 cups of spinach? Lol. The delivery system and the volume are different and that difference matters. 

An 8 oz glass of fresh squeezed OJ is not the same as an 8 oz glass of coke. They simply are not.

Yes, a whole orange is way healthier than a cup of Gatorade or Coke or Minute Made OJ for various reasons.

Sorry, I'm not picking on you, but I am nitpicking for the sake of argument.  I need to get off the computer and have my 3pm snack already.  

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#66 of 80 Old 05-02-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meemee View Post

so yes. sugar is sugar. 

This reminds me of my childhood. Except my mom took the completely opposite stand. Her opinion was if sugar is sugar and my kids would rather have a twinkie than an apple then whatever.... it's all the same. Lol. How I managed on a diet of sweets, hot dogs, and box mac and cheese is beyond me. 

#67 of 80 Old 05-02-2013, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

What hasn't changed is that 1 gram of sugar has the same number of calories whether it comes from straight from the sugar bowl, from a soda or a whole orange. Or a pile of spinach.  It's still 1 gram of sugar.

Isn't that the point though? That it's more difficult to take in the same quantity of sugar by eating whole fruits than when drinking fruit juice? You can pretty easily glug down 16oz of juice without being all that conscious of it, but you'd be unlikely to eat 4 pieces of fruit (or however many would correspond to 16oz of juice -- I'm on my phone and can't easily research that right now) without meaning to. Like you said, the delivery system matters. Sugar is sugar, but some items pack such a dense sugar/calorie punch that it's easier to overboard.

ETA: Holy cow! I looked it up, and an 8oz glass of both orange and apple juice has about the same amount of sugar as the whole fruit (24 grams)! I'm surprised. The fiber argument still stands, but wow. You learn something new every day!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#68 of 80 Old 05-02-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

y

the part about sugar is its addictive quality. and knowing about that - if i had known about its addictive nature i'd have kept it away from dd longer. 

but i believed in moderation which is bunkum inho when you are starting your kids on food. though i am not sure how i would have done it or if it would have had any affect. 

dd is sensitive to sugar and sugar in any form - healthy too packs a punch for her. her body reacts the same way to a glass of soda or a glass of freshly squeezed OJ. 

It really depends on the kid. DS1 never had any problem moderating his sugar intake - he was the kid who never finished his Halloween or Easter candy, yk? DD1 does reasonably well. DS2 has no ability to self-moderate at all - none. He'd eat an entire box of cookies or large bag of candy if he were allowed to do so.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#69 of 80 Old 05-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Just popping in to make sure you all saw our Mothers Day Contest. In addition to three Boba baby carriers we're giving a $300 dinner/spa package for one lucky mom. Contest ends in three days! Get the entry info here: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1382508/let-mothering-and-boba-pamper-you-this-mothers-day/0_100 thumb.gif

#70 of 80 Old 05-07-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

Soda is horrible in so many ways, but when a kid is sick, I pick up some Sprite or other similar soda. Otherwise, the older one occasionally has some if she's at a party or something, and she can order soda if we go out to eat (which is seldom lately.) The younger one (4) only gets it if she's sick, and then only if I have to fight to keep her liquids up.

So I can't say never.

What are the rules in your house?

Absolutely not, soda is linked to so many health problems (obesity, etc.) and offers little if any dietary benefit. They can drink water, milk, real fruit juice... But not soda.

#71 of 80 Old 05-07-2013, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Guilty. My husband and I are so not on the same page with a lot of parenting issues. He gave my son soda at a young age and he really took to it. Luckily, I do all the shopping, so I don't buy it, except for ginger ale or natural sodas with real sugar on occasion. We let my daughter try it when she was a bit older than my son, and she didn't like it. She wants to like it, but she just can't do it. I think the bubbles annoy her, so only one of my children drinks soda.

My son gets soda at parties or restaurants. I find ways to justify it too! I am worried that the juice they use could be icky. It's from the bar, may have been open a while, could have alcohol (don't laugh, it's been in the news on more than one occasion...server mixes up mimosa with regular orange juice)...and we had a bad experience with bad milk once. At least with soda, it comes from a tank, and is mixed with soda water from another tank...the worst that can happen is the soda is flat. I think it's more the ice cubes you need to worry about as far as germs, and that's with any drink besides milk. The juice we drink at home is organic and is mixed with water, and I know we won't find that at a restaurant...it will be food coloring and corn syrup, so why not just get soda...same thing!

We do eat out pretty often. If it's not a school night, I will let him have Coke, Pepsi or Root Beer...otherwise it's usually Sprite. He also sucks it down quickly, so we make him switch to milk eventually. 

#72 of 80 Old 05-08-2013, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by janinvan View Post

Absolutely not, soda is linked to so many health problems (obesity, etc.) and offers little if any dietary benefit. They can drink water, milk, real fruit juice... But not soda.

Only because I can't resist looking for an opposite angle:  do you let your kids eat candy?  Maybe for Halloween or in birthday party goody bags.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#73 of 80 Old 05-08-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Only because I can't resist looking for an opposite angle:  do you let your kids eat candy?  Maybe for Halloween or in birthday party goody bags.

It's amazing how early this challenge has arisen for us! We don't have soda in the house, but I do bake (dairy and gluten free) cookies from time to time, and boy does my 16 month old LOVE cookies! I've had to curtail the baking a bit so that sweets can be special occasion foods. :)

#74 of 80 Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:

you might find this interesting - http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/06/really-most-of-the-added-sugar-in-our-diets-comes-from-sugary-drinks/?ref=health  

Nearly 70 percent of the calories from added sugars that Americans eat on a daily basis come from processed foods like breads, jams, cakes and ice cream. Added sugars can also be found in things like tomato sauce, condiments and salad dressings, and multigrain crackers and cereals.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#75 of 80 Old 05-08-2013, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)

They are older.  They can drink what they want.  We do not keep have it  in the house very often - usually only when I want to use  it to make mixed drinks with.

I never controlled soft drink consumption at friends houses; at restaurants I  usually insisted on juice or milk until they were about 10 or 11, or just water (paying $3 a drink at a restaurant with 5 people can really add up!  Water is free).  After age 10 or so, they can order what they want.  A lot of the time they just get water.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#76 of 80 Old 05-08-2013, 12:06 PM

My children had never had pop until recently.  But, now that they are in third grade, it is often served at birthday parties.  When they were younger I w/h given them water at the party, but now I figure they can have a bit when we are at some one else's house.  It is only a few times/year, they don't really like it much and I didn't want to make a bigger deal out of it.  (e.g.  My sister thinks her 12yo has never had pop.  He's told me he's had it at birthday parties but is afraid to tell his mom.)

My husband and I drink Steaz, which is 'pop-like', green tea soda.  The kids have tried it and like it so they might be asking for it one day.

When I was growing up, we had 'pop day' on Sundays.  We were each allowed to have a small juice glass of pop or sometimes a black cow. 

#77 of 80 Old 05-08-2013, 12:39 PM

Everything in moderation... we don't have any strict rules about anything being disallowed in the house. My son had to drink pop on a plane ride at 13 months because the airport made me dump all the drinks I had for him and the plane ran out of juice and water. All they had left was coffee and pop. I wasn't happy about it (although he seemed to be! lol.gif) but it wasn't the end of the world. I think obesity has more to do with kids spending their lives indoors than it does with sugar.

#78 of 80 Old 05-10-2013, 07:52 PM

Our kids are ages 6, 3, and 17 months. The older two have had a few sips in their lives. We don't have it at home and only occasionally get it out.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#79 of 80 Old 05-26-2013, 11:57 PM

We avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup at all costs.  Now our little one is far from making his own decisions.  We hope that when the time comes our LO will be educated enough to make the healthy choice.  However, at that point the choice is up to them.  

I do agree with you that when sick a little bubbly is good.  We would probably elect for sparkling apple cider if we had to choose.

#80 of 80 Old 05-30-2013, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

just a reminder that real fruit juice, even freshly squeezed juice that you did - is still sugar. in fact without the filler pulp its even more concentrated sugar than eating it. it takes an incredible number of apples and medium oranges to make an 8 oz. glass of juice. even watermelons. even if you smoothie it and dont throw anything away. i have found dd and i tend to eat less watermelon than if we smoothied it. 

so since dd is sensitive to sugar - whether it is juice or soda - its still sugar. the only difference soda is all empty calories. but juice without pulp and skin also has a lot taken out of it. 

drinking sugar in any form is something to be avoided. i wish i had known this when dd was a toddler. 

eating sugar is a whole nother issue. because today what we call junk food - i dont call food at all (but i love a bunch of them too and struggle with this issue). and what we dont consider junk food - like home made cookies and brown sugar in oatmeal - i consider junk. another form of sugar is starch and grains and we consume far too much of grains and not enough fruit and veggies. 

in our family we do some junk - some days more than others, some days not at all. living in the world we do today and with food being such a social thing i dont expect to completely keep junk out of dd's life. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page