Does anyone treat Earth Day like other holidays, i.e. Thanksgiving? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter said she thinks we should really celebrate Earth Day, like we celebrate Thanksgiving. I think that's a nice thought but I'm not sure how we'd celebrate. Plant a tree? Do outdoor stuff? Eat a meal of local foods?

Does anyone have any ideas for how to celebrate Earth Day in the style of a holiday like Thanksgiving?
#2 of 3 Old 04-17-2013, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are there any special events to go to at a local nature center?  We have a ton around here.  Lots of clean-up days too with environmental groups along rivers and popular hiking spots.  But if it's something closer to home you wanted, I think you're on the right track.  Go hiking at a special place if the weather allows, eat local foods, maybe even pick an appropriate charity to give to.  If you have a yard, perhaps making it bird and animal friendly by making places for them to live or eat (I'm thinking of things like putting up a bird house or bat house, planting butterfly-friendly plants, making a birdbath or a toad home, things like that).

I like your daughter's sentiment.  :)  Earth Day also happens to be my wedding anniversary...

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#3 of 3 Old 04-17-2013, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Last year the kids and I went for a short hike and picked up trash at a local park, then planted our vegetable garden. Eating local food sounds like a great extension of that! 

I saw a cute post on Pinterest for Earth Day cupcakes, where you tint vanilla batter blue and green and swirl it in the cupcake tin so they look like our planet, but I like the idea of making a healthful meal out of local foods better than squeezing food coloring into cake batter (NTTAWWT*). treehugger.gif

* not that there's anything wrong with that [TM Seinfeld]

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

Tags
Holidays

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page