What do you REALLY want for Mother's Day?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 04-17-2013, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I think we're all tired of the same the old ads for chocolates, jewelry and trips for Mother's Day.

What do you really want for Mother's Day??

If it's a product please link to it so we can share it with other moms (and dads) and, if not, tell us what would make your day happy! 

[I know I want some homemade cards, REST and a good meal I didn't cook!--Oh yes, and maybe a new book to read while I'm resting. ;) ]

#2 of 60 Old 04-18-2013, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have simple desires....for the males in my household to put a trash bag in the trash can after they take the trash out.

dragonflii likes this.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#3 of 60 Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 AM

I get more than I want every year.

I want to be able to sleep in as late as I want. I don't want to have to do any cooking or other housework (and I don't mean leaving it for the next day). I want a quiet, low-key day with my family - last year, we went for a walk along a local riverside trail. It was lovely.

I get all that. I also get some kind of handmade card from dd1 and ds2. DS1 stays home all day, and spends time with me. The kids usually arrange some kind of breakfast in bed deal. DH usually gets me some kind of flowers.

I get spoiled rotten on Mother's Day. I have such great kids, and such a wonderful dh. joy.gif

I may be PMSing on Mother's Day this year (my cycle's slightly erratic, but it's possible), so I suspet I'll also get chocolate this year, but that would be...medicinal. lol.gif

journeymom and VioletLove like this.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#4 of 60 Old 04-18-2013, 10:53 AM

I would love a meal I didn't have to cook and maybe a vitamix. =) Some handmade cards and a hug and kiss from my kids (which I usually get daily anyway!) 

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#5 of 60 Old 04-18-2013, 11:23 AM

If it's an actual purchased gift and money isn't an object a vita-mix or a yogurt maker or a new sewing machine.

If it's a gesture. SLEEP IN. And not have to cook.

VioletLove likes this.

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#6 of 60 Old 04-18-2013, 01:07 PM

Ooohhhh...Vitamix...oh how I wish I had one...

I really want lots of love from my family, any way they feel most led to show it.

We have a tradition that mama gets 2 new fruit trees or fruit bushes each year for mothers' day. I'm a fan.

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#7 of 60 Old 04-18-2013, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

DH always has the girls make me a Mother's Day card, which I adore.  They like picking me huge bouquets of whatever flower they can find to pick.  Last year, it was the blossoms of the Spanish bluebell, a terrible, weedy plant in our NW gardens that they are allowed to pick with abandon (until they die!  Fine with me!) plus some other pretties from out and about.  

I would love time to go a huge, long walk all by myself where I don't have to feel like I need to get back home and Do Stuff.

As far as a gift, I would like a new set of hand pruners and a holster to put them in.  A small pruning saw all my own that dh doesn't take to work with him, and a Japanese hand tiller-- an evil looking hand tool that I simply love and lose often (similar to a ken-ho, but larger and more for digging that light cultivating).  

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#8 of 60 Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One night with Ryan Gosling. Just one night. Is that too much to ask???
journeymom likes this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#9 of 60 Old 04-18-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

One night with Ryan Gosling. Just one night. Is that too much to ask???

yeahthat.gif

dalia likes this.

Candy, Mom to Matthew (5/02) and Ethan (10/07)

Trying for #3 starting 5/13

#10 of 60 Old 04-18-2013, 06:25 PM

For my dear, sweet, tries-really-hard husband to finish, completely (including hauling off any debris to the dump), just one single one of the many projects he has started in or around the house (and by finish completely, I mean including doing the project to local building code so we could actually sell the house without having to hire a contractor to fix it before we move out).

--From his I-would-do-it-myself-but-then-it-upsets-him-and-it's-not-worth-THAT-argument wife.

#11 of 60 Old 04-18-2013, 08:20 PM

Me too. That would be heavenly! wink1.gif
dalia likes this.
#12 of 60 Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 PM

Ryan Gosling that is
dalia likes this.
#13 of 60 Old 04-19-2013, 08:03 AM

I don't cook or clean anything and it still has to be done.  That's all I really care about.  

#14 of 60 Old 04-19-2013, 08:08 AM

I'm into gadgets. I wish there were a new iPad mini with retina display. And I'd love to upgrade my cell phone. And I just heard about this awesome looking but extravagant new e-reader the Kobo Aura HD. http://www.kobo.com/koboaurahd

However, I'm really fine and don't need anything. We aren't a big present exchange family so I probably won't get anything unless the kids make something at school.
#15 of 60 Old 04-19-2013, 08:12 AM

The first best Mother's Day I ever had was when the girls were little.  Dh took them to the zoo for the afternoon, leaving me at home alone.  I got to do whatever I wanted in peace and quiet without interuption.  Ever since then, I've spent Mother's Day alone.  About 20 years ago, I started going on a Mother's Day historical homes tour put on by our local historical society with my mom and sisters.  We have lunch together, either before or afterwards.  Then for dinner, dh and I would go out to dinner with his mom.  With only one at home now (and he's 15), I still spend the day with my mom and sisters.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#16 of 60 Old 04-20-2013, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

well i want to go back to the good old days...

when dd and i used to go to a earth festival and bandicoot camp at a garden and have freshly picked mulberries for breakfast. 

havent done that in years. 

really though this is more about the festival than mother's day. they just happen to do it on mother's day weekend. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#17 of 60 Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 AM

I would love to sleep in a little, the housework be done the night before so I wake up to a clean kitchen/trash, and then the work be done again that night so it's not all saved for the next morning after everyone else is at school/work I'm left with my Mother's Day mess. And if the kids wouldn't argue and be bitchy at each other all day, that would be nice. They are too mean to each other for me to even bother thinking about going out for dinner.

This year is my last Mother's Day with all the kids at home...my oldest is going away this summer.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#18 of 60 Old 04-20-2013, 08:44 AM

A two hour professional massage.

#19 of 60 Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 AM

I want a ring with birthstones for all my family, but I can wait for Christmas too. Honestly I like getting flowers and some alone time would make it perfect.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#20 of 60 Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 AM

My own mom is in assisted living so we always have to make the four-hour round trip drive to see her.  She deserves it more than I, certainly.  But it would be nice if my DH would recognize that I really don't get "my day" and do something (anything!) on Saturday instead to recognize the day.  But he's just not the type to think of that, and I knew that long ago, so... shrug.gif

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#21 of 60 Old 04-22-2013, 12:25 PM

I'm not a mommy yet so I don't know if I should expect anything for mother's day but in my dreams DH would give me a card (store bought is fine) that acknowledges that I am about to become the mother of his child and that he is excited/happy about that/appreciates that.

Now that I am a mom I no longer have time for knit.gif,teapot2.GIF,read.gif
#22 of 60 Old 04-24-2013, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

What I really want is for my daughter to wear much less makeup for the day. Or maybe none at all.  She is so beautiful, but I hardly get to see that familiar, beautiful face anymore. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#23 of 60 Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerose View Post

...the housework be done the night before so I wake up to a clean kitchen/trash, and then the work be done again that night so it's not all saved for the next morning after everyone else is at school/work I'm left with my Mother's Day mess.

Oooh, I like that.  It would be HEAVENLY if dh would have the kids do this.  Maybe I'll suggest it. 

I usually keep it cheap or free for Mother's Day and just ask them to make dinner. But I would like to go out for one of those Mother's Day brunches at a nice restaurant, just once.  I have a hunch it would be nutty-crowded, but I wouldn't mind. It'd be fun!  I'm probably the only one who'd think it's fun. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#24 of 60 Old 04-24-2013, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

you know looking back i will say this. 

its just dd and me

we in general do spend a lot of time together - meaning quality time

so really i dont need to do or get anything on mother's day. i have no expectations.

however dd is the one who loves to give. she gets all excited about mother's day. i enjoy her enthusiasm. 

i think mother's day will mean more to me when dd moves out and if she lives far away. 

because i am coparenting - i feel i get the best of both worlds. some adult time and then time with dd. so i dont really feel the need for 'mother's day'. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#25 of 60 Old 04-24-2013, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Great question!  I would like to have help setting up the vegetable garden and maybe a few plants to put in!  I'd also like my boys to not bicker for the day, but I probably shouldn't expect miracles. 

#26 of 60 Old 04-24-2013, 12:04 PM

I would love to sleep in! But there is zero chance of that happening because I have to teach Sunday School that day. DH is going to be out of town that whole weekend so probably we will spend it with my mother. :)

I am a crunchy, opinionated, Christian woman. Happily married to DH since 7/07. Mom to DD rainbow1284.gif born 11/23/11 and furbaby Taj (our 10 yr. old border collie)
Missing DD "Summer"  angel3.gif m/c 8/10. Expecting LO #2 belly.gifEDD 09/19/13!

#27 of 60 Old 04-24-2013, 12:10 PM

The guarantee that this babe I'm carrying will be OUT before then!  I'm more pregnant now than any woman in my family has been since my great-aunt was born 70 years ago, and my patience is wearing thin!

I'd love a day to myself to work, but since I'll have a newborn and two active toddlers, I don't think there's any chance of that happening.

Oh, I know!  I'd like to have my home professionally cleaned while we are all out at the park, so we come home to a totally sparkling clean house without me lifting a finger.

#28 of 60 Old 04-24-2013, 12:13 PM

An hour long massage, a pedicure, and a gift certificate to either Sephora or Ulta. 
:-D

If evil means to be self-motivated, to be the center of one’s own universe, to live on one’s own terms, then every artist, every thinker, every original mind, is evil. Because we dare to look through our own eyes rather than mouth clichés lent us from the so-called Fathers…three cheers for Eve. -...

#29 of 60 Old 04-24-2013, 12:44 PM

I'll be about halfway through my first pregnancy on Mother's Day. It would be so nice if DW got me a heartfelt card and paid a little extra attention. I don't feel that a gift is necessary, but if she did then I would probably want a pedicure or a prenatal massage, or anything specific to our little nugget that spoke to her. I really dislike getting cut flowers from a store - my cats just go after them and they never seem to last very long.

(And, just in case anyone is wondering, DW already decided that she wants to have her own day on the traditional Father's Day, and I support her doing whatever feels right to her. She's not like, masculine or anything, she just wants her own day and it makes sense to do it then since nugget doesn't have a father.)

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#30 of 60 Old 04-24-2013, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I would really love a comfy yard swing to comfortably nurse my LO outside!
VioletLove likes this.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page